women: did you wear a suit to your interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
PariPari said:
did you think about maybe a darker (bolder) colour shirt? like a purple or teal? then you could wear a darker shoe

i think you're going to need matching pink shoes (seriously) go for round toes b/c they're more comfortable

thanks for the reply...i was only thinking pink because i already had the shirt and the purse...but will not wear it if it is too "girly" and not professional enough...esp with pink shoes...i mean i defintely would like the outfit but what would others think? how about white shoes?

Members don't see this ad.

I would be *very* careful with a white suit. Make sure you bring some type of stain remover, b/c you will be having lunch at the schools, and if you spill on yourself at lunch and then have to interview after it will not make a good impression. I personally wouldn't wear pink with a white suit but I'm not really a pink person either.

I know this is slightly off-topic, but I finally feel comfortable opening up to my SDN sisters and brothers.

Whew. OK, here we go:

Men: Did you wear underwear to your interview? If so, briefs or boxers? And if not, did you feel the increased freedom helped you or got in the way (so to speak)? Do you think it is harder to be taken seriously as a man when you don't wear underwear? And were you worried that you might get hit by a car on the way to the school and have to go to the ER without anything on? Or am I over-analyzing this issue?

This is a very serious issue, so please -- tell me what you really think.

Members don't see this ad :)
2Sexy4MedSchool said:
I know this is slightly off-topic, but I finally feel comfortable opening up to my SDN sisters and brothers.

Whew. OK, here we go:

Men: Did you wear underwear to your interview? If so, briefs or boxers? And if not, did you feel the increased freedom helped you or got in the way (so to speak)? Do you think it is harder to be taken seriously as a man when you don't wear underwear? And were you worried that you might get hit by a car on the way to the school and have to go to the ER without anything on? Or am I over-analyzing this issue?

This is a very serious issue, so please -- tell me what you really think.

I wore boxers, but I think you can be taken seriously either way. :luck:

hopefullyadoc said:
i just got a new interview outfit. it is a white skirt suit...and i know you are supposed to wear dark colors, but i feel like they do not flatter me. with the white suit, i have a pink shirt and a matching pink bag. i dont want to come off as a ditz at my interviews, but i think it makes a realy good outfit...i just fear its too daring. what do you think? and if this outfit is okay then what type of shoes should i get?

Actually lighter colors are ok for girls. Like you could wear off white, or light gray or something like that. Just don't wear something outrageous like a hot pink suit or a lime green suit or something of that nature.

I don't think white, offwhite, light gray, or some pastel color suits would be a big issue.

hopefullyadoc said:
thanks for the reply...i was only thinking pink because i already had the shirt and the purse...but will not wear it if it is too "girly" and not professional enough...esp with pink shoes...i mean i defintely would like the outfit but what would others think? how about white shoes?

don't worry about the suit. if you can feel confident wearing it when most people are in black you'll be fine.

my mom is an amazing seamstress so she actually made me a skirt suit. i picked a tweed fabric for it (since my interviews were in the winter time) that had brown and different tones of pink to it. my shirt was pink. it was definitely different but i got compliments on it at pretty much all my interviews, especially from interviewers who actually told me they don't know where interviewees got this idea that they all have to wear black.

so i think as long as you look professional (which you will since you are in a suit) you'll be good. :)

thanks everyone i thnk i am going to go with the white and pink...but what do you think about shoes? should i go with white or pink? (it is actually off-white)

hopefullyadoc said:
thanks everyone i thnk i am going to go with the white and pink...but what do you think about shoes? should i go with white or pink? (it is actually off-white)

ugh... white and pink both sound horrible. Why not a nice natural brown leather color. Wait, don't ask me I don't know about these things. :)

I have to disagree with a lot of posters so far. I would not recommend a white suit! I have a light light grey suit and I often felt very out of place and that I stood out because everyone was in navy, black or dark grey. To me, it is good to stand apart from the crowd a little so the interviewer remembers you. But white just seems to be wayy to much. Almost like you are trying to go against the convention which is not a good thing. I love pink, but not with white. If you are going to wear white, then at least try to stick with a more subdued shirt like navy, brown, grey or black, even green.

This probably won't change your mind, but I've done very well in my interviews so far and I just want to help you not make a bad decision!

minnie2240 said:
I have to disagree with a lot of posters so far. I would not recommend a white suit! I have a light light grey suit and I often felt very out of place and that I stood out because everyone was in navy, black or dark grey. To me, it is good to stand apart from the crowd a little so the interviewer remembers you. But white just seems to be wayy to much. Almost like you are trying to go against the convention which is not a good thing. I love pink, but not with white. If you are going to wear white, then at least try to stick with a more subdued shirt like navy, brown, grey or black, even green.

This probably won't change your mind, but I've done very well in my interviews so far and I just want to help you not make a bad decision!

My friend bought a light gray suit and they didn't seem to care too much. So have a few other current med students that I know. I don't think it makes a big difference if it is tactful. It is some really weird strange color, then I think it will make a difference.

Another good place, though it's a little late in the year, is New York and Company right after Christmas. I bought the pants and the suit coat for $60. I think that next year I'll pick up another one just to have an extra one in a different color.

gujuDoc said:
Actually lighter colors are ok for girls. Like you could wear off white, or light gray or something like that. Just don't wear something outrageous like a hot pink suit or a lime green suit or something of that nature.

I don't think white, offwhite, light gray, or some pastel color suits would be a big issue.

The suit that I picked up for next year is a tan suit. I think it looks really nice, but I do agree that for guys, the color would be too light.

I don't think anyone can say "you won't get in if you don't wear a suit" or even "you won't get in if you wear x color of suit." The most important thing is you feel comfortable during your interview, you appear professional, and your appearance is NOT what the interviewer remembers most about you. If you are a strong applicant and a good interviewer, you will get in. However, if you're less than a shoe-in, why risk it? I don't think wearing a typical interviewing suit will ever hurt you, while not wearing could in some circumstances. For example, I highly doubt interviewing at Mayo in khaki's and a nice shirt is appropriate, as professionalism is integral in their philosophy (all physicians wear suits all the time, students wear suits when seeing patients, etc.) I was told that you never want to be less-dressed than your interviewer (for any interview, even a student job) so I always over-dress if I am unsure.

For my interviews, I wore a dark pin-striped Ann Taylor skirt suit with various solid-colored camisoles under it. I also bought a brown with blue pin-striped pant's suit but I felt more comfortable in my skirt and interviewed early enough in the season that the weather wasn't too cold.
So, my advice to the person with the white suit...if you are worried you might feel uncomfortable because you're the only one not wearing a dark suit, then don't wear white. If you feel confident and comfortable regardless, go ahead and wear it.

A short while ago, I traveled to an interview in Upstate NY. I ordered the hotel shuttle at the airport, and a fellow interviewer joined me. Exiting the van into the hotel, I noticed she had no baggage. I asked her where her luggage was (I guess I'm a nosy guy). She said she had none. So I asked her what she'll wear next morning. She pointed to her clothes. She was wearing a sweat shirt, sweatpants, and sneakers. This was her first interview.

Long story short, it was 8:30 pm. I asked the hotel staff for the closest mall. Went with her to a store that was closing at 9, and she managed to get an outfit.

Moral: Tell your fellow premeds about SDN :)

hopefullyadoc said:

If you're going for a white suit with a pink shirt, PLEASE don't do the pink shoes. It sounds like it could have the potential of looking little girl room pink and Easter bunny-ish (I haven't seen your suit, so you'll have to make that judgement call). I would suggest going to the store and getting a pair of tasteful beige/tan heels (I personally like pointy toes). In my opinion, there's just something about the combination of white pants and beige shoes that is crisp and classic. Plus you could wear the heels with dark jeans and a white button down shirt later on.

Also, in general, keep in mind that looking professional isn't just about whether you wear a suit vs. business casual dress. Makeup and jewelry is also really important and you want to keep it conservative. At one of my interviews there was a girl with a really great black suit and blue shirt, but other than that she looked ready to hit the clubs (i.e. long dangly gold earrings, really dark eye makeup, perfume that filled the whole room). That would be a major don't.