women friendly programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docdee

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. Does anyone know how to find out which ortho programs are "women friendly." I hear this term being thrown around a lot. However, I am not really sure which programs these are and how to find them.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi. Does anyone know how to find out which ortho programs are "women friendly." I hear this term being thrown around a lot. However, I am not really sure which programs these are and how to find them.

ugh...why not rely on merit (rather than sex) to land a residency spot?

Members don't see this ad :)
"Women friendly" does not have to do with relying on sex to be admitted to the program. It's about a program being able to get beyond the idea that only men can be Orthopedic surgeons. Plenty of women are beyond qualified for a spot, but are not ranked highly because of being a woman. Insensitive comments like yours are precisely why I chose to switch from Ortho. I definitely have the merits, but run into people who want Ortho to remain only the "good ol boys."

the problem is that sometimes women get pregnant during residency (even if they have enough merit badges to do ortho). this can hurt a small program that only takes 2-3 residents per year - the call schedule can become unfairly difficult for the people, male or female, who have to pick up the slack for the chick who got knocked up :thumbdown:
yes, it's a bs reason to most people, but it's legit to the residents who have no choice but to suck it up and deal with it.

Academic programs have disproportionate numbers of female residents compared to community programs. Columbia's residency is 1/2 female; HSS is around 1/4 to 1/3. These are the only two I've worked with.

Check the website; most have "current residents" and "graduates" sections that let you see how many women have gone through.

And while the "women have babies and mess up the call schedule" argument is a sound one, it's hardly unique to ortho (nor is ortho the only specialty that take a small resident class). Not a good explanation for the low numbers of women in the field. :thumbdown:

Interesting points being raised. What about physical strength? Skinny geeky guys are also discriminated in the field. I know ortho requires some lifting and strong movements during physicals .
For better or worse women are still portrayed as damsels in distress that can only lift their chihuahuas into their handbags. This negative stereotype perhaps plays a role in the decision-making of PDs.
The women orthos that I've seen look very fit and athletic. I'm wondering what kind of women drawn to the specialty? Perhaps, a female ortho here can shade some light.