Women in Ophthalmology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xyz34486

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do people think about the usefulness of being part of Women in Ophthalmology? I never bothered to do it, by my fellow female friends and classmates have all encouraged me. I thought it might be a good networking opportunity with other female ophthalmologists, but other than that are there any real benefits?

Members don't see this ad.

My opinion of what I call "affinity groups" is that you get out of them what you put in.

If you simply join, but don't go to meetings or join committees or present or things like that then it's probably going to be a waste. If you go and get involved then you'll likely make close friends and make connections and enjoy it much more.

I'm not a huge fan of exclusionary groups; however, they can have positive impact for their members by discussing and taking on issues that may be unique to that particular demographic that perhaps larger organizations won't give as much thought. (Run on sentence alert.....)

My opinion of what I call "affinity groups" is that you get out of them what you put in.

If you simply join, but don't go to meetings or join committees or present or things like that then it's probably going to be a waste. If you go and get involved then you'll likely make close friends and make connections and enjoy it much more.

I'm not a huge fan of exclusionary groups; however, they can have positive impact for their members by discussing and taking on issues that may be unique to that particular demographic that perhaps larger organizations won't give as much thought. (Run on sentence alert.....)

Also now you have an excuse to buy a tweed skirt suit

Reactions: 1 users