women's interview attire

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So, here's my two cents from my interviewing experience last year. . .

- It doesn't really matter whether you wear pants or a skirt. Pick whichever one you think will be the most comfortable, whichever one you will feel more confident/secure in, and whichever one you personally think looks the best on you. I chose to wear a skirt because I am tall and it is very difficult to find a pants suit that fits me properly; also, I just prefer skirts.

- To the OP: do get a nice coat to go on your interviews with. You'll use it again (especially if you go to the east coast for school), and you'll look and feel much more professional. As to the OP's question of whether it matches, that's a personal call, one that I don't think matters a whole lot if we're talking beige and black. It's surely not going to make or break you, but if it's something you'll think about constantly while at your interviews, spare yourself the worries and get a different coat. It's more about state of mind than state of dress here.

- I have long, very fine, very straight hair. I put my hair in a bun for some of my interviews, and put it in a ponytail for others. Either way, it was off my face. Both looked perfectly fine.

- You do not have to wear black. My suit was a very dark brown with an ecru pinstripe. My philosophy is that it's good to blend in overall, but it doesn't hurt to stand out a little.

- To those who mentioned breaking in your shoes prior to interviewing: good advice. Seriously. I'd have died if I didn't do that; my second interview was Northwestern, which features the longest interview day ( 7:30 - approx. 3:30) paired with one of the most comprehensive tours around. I actually saw a girl take off her stilletto heels halfway through the tour and slip on a pair of flip-flops that she'd carried in her purse. Be wise with your footwear.

- I wore no makeup. I never wear makeup. I did fine. If you don't wear makeup, don't feel compelled to; if you're used to it and feel insecure without it, wear it conservatively.

Members don't see this ad.

SpeedRacer said:
i have that question too, about skirt vs. pants. i think i'll probably pick pants because of the cold factor and because it will make me look like more of a mobster, which is really the look i'm trying to get at. but my question is, did most other female applicants you saw while interviewing wear skirts? or pants? or shorts? HAHA just kidding about the last one.

During all my interviews all of the other girls were wearing pant suits. and for that matter all of them were wearing black. just thought i would let you know. good luck

azguriya said:
During all my interviews all of the other girls were wearing pant suits. and for that matter all of them were wearing black. just thought i would let you know. good luck

I have a skirt suit from highschool days when I was interviewing for a scholarship, and when I needed it for key club conventions and what not.

I recently bought a black pant suit for AMSA conferences, forums, and eventually interviews. And I find the pant suit to be better as well.

Skirts may look nice, but they get uncomfortable real fast, especially if you have to wear stockings and crap like that.

I prefer to were pants cuz they are easier to move in, and more comfy to be in.

I guess it doesn't really matter though. Just get something that looks good in either black, gray, off white, or Navy Blue. Oh and make sure it is something you wouldn't mind wearing for a long day, cuz interviews from what I understand are quite long days due to the tours and stuff that they give of the med school or facilities.

I also would not recommend you wearing shoes that you will be uncomfortable in because of the reasons mentioned above.

Just my thoughts on this subject.

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe it is the cheapskate in me coming out, but can't you just borrow a nice coat from somebody instead of purchasing one? I mean, it would be silly to go buy a heavy nice coat that matches a nice suit to interview in Chicago, only to be accepted at UCSD and never need it. Just a thought. Interesting that people have mentioned shoes (which I always look at on a guy I am interviewing - attention to detail is important, so they should be polished) but nobody has mentioned fingernails. Keep them neat, clean, not too long, and if painted keep the color neutral. Good luck!

Flopotomist said:
Maybe it is the cheapskate in me coming out, but can't you just borrow a nice coat from somebody instead of purchasing one? I mean, it would be silly to go buy a heavy nice coat that matches a nice suit to interview in Chicago, only to be accepted at UCSD and never need it. Just a thought. Interesting that people have mentioned shoes (which I always look at on a guy I am interviewing - attention to detail is important, so they should be polished) but nobody has mentioned fingernails. Keep them neat, clean, not too long, and if painted keep the color neutral. Good luck!

Good tips. Yah borrowing, as long as it fits right and looks nice isn't a bad idea.

But for the suit itself, I suppose it is a good idea to buy one because you'll probably use it in medical school some, if you ever attend conferences, when you do residency interviews, and other important events.

I think any "neutral" color such as those should be acceptable. I doubt you would want to walk in wearing a hot pink suit, but I don't think we should be afraid of choosing colors beyond black.

i'm going for a black or grey pants suit because i like those colors and so much prefer pants to skirts. unfortunately, i think skirts were probably a necessity about five years ago, but i think the pant suit has made real strides (thanks, hilary clinton?) in the past few years. i got the last suit i really liked at ann taylor, so i'll probably start there again this time. to save money on other accessories like your shirt, hose, jewelry, etc, check out casual corner/petite sophisticate. their suits are okay, but not great, imo, but they have a huge selection of things to go with suits, and they're so much cheaper than places like ann taylor.

i don't wear makeup at all now and probably won't as a doctor, but i am going to wear makeup to the interview. my hair is shorter, but i think it's definitely okay to wear long hair down, provided that it looks more sleek than wild.

as for surgeonguy, you're an a$$hole. unfortunately, these issues do impact your chances at success.

evade said:
- I wore no makeup. I never wear makeup. I did fine. If you don't wear makeup, don't feel compelled to; if you're used to it and feel insecure without it, wear it conservatively.

good for you! hmm, maybe i won't wear makeup.

Ok, I am starting to stress out. I went shopping yesterday and couldn't find ANYTHING at all that didn't look like I was trying to fit into my dads suit. Everything was so long on my arms and legs....AAAAHHHHHH....so the reason for my panic is that I have my first interview in ONE WEEK. I am also in the exact opposite boat of most people here in that I need a suit that will not be warm at all. I am interviewing in August in both San Antonio & Houston, TX. Not exactly cold spots. The humidity in Houston is ungodly, and that interview day is scheduled from 7:45am-5pm. I don't want to walk around sweating like a damn pig. So far I looked at Dillards, Express, Sears and other random places in our mall. It's tax free weekend here too, so I thought i might be able to find a good deal....but no. I would have started on this project a LOT sooner, but our summer school term just let out 2 days ago. I guess I'm just venting, but any suggestions for light-weight, but still professional looking suits (preferrably NOT black, I just don't like black unless it's got other colors in with it), I'd love to hear them. Thanks guys! and I hope you have better luck interview clothes shopping than I have... :(

jodyleeann said:
Ok, I am starting to stress out. I went shopping yesterday and couldn't find ANYTHING at all that didn't look like I was trying to fit into my dads suit.

I had a similar problem. . . I'm about 5'3" and super-curvy (36-24-35) so trying to find something that didn't pucker in weird places or drag 3' on the ground was tough. I seriously went EVERYWHERE for like 4 hours/day for 5 days straight and was really at my wits end. Then I went to:

ANN TAYLOR.

I still have to hack 3" off the bottoms of the pants, but the suit has darts in all the right places and it's tailored well enough so that there's actually room in the jacket for the twins. These people KNOW how to make a suit for a woman. As far as what to wear under it? I'm still kind of at a loss. Collared shirts look too manly and severe but camisoles are far too low-cut/feminine. Any thoughts? My best option so far is a pale pink collared shirt from Express.

seilienne said:
I had a similar problem. . . I'm about 5'3" and super-curvy (36-24-35) so trying to find something that didn't pucker in weird places or drag 3' on the ground was tough. I seriously went EVERYWHERE for like 4 hours/day for 5 days straight and was really at my wits end. Then I went to:

ANN TAYLOR.

I still have to hack 3" off the bottoms of the pants, but the suit has darts in all the right places and it's tailored well enough so that there's actually room in the jacket for the twins. These people KNOW how to make a suit for a woman. As far as what to wear under it? I'm still kind of at a loss. Collared shirts look too manly and severe but camisoles are far too low-cut/feminine. Any thoughts? My best option so far is a pale pink collared shirt from Express.

Thank you! Someone that understands....I'm taller than you (5'6", but the curves thing is what does it. If it's the right length, then you boobies are all squashed to hell, or your butt's just to big....maybe it's just me. lol, anyways, yah I feel your pain and I will look into Ann Taylor for sure! Thanks again for the advice!

jodyleeann said:
Ok, I am starting to stress out. I went shopping yesterday and couldn't find ANYTHING at all that didn't look like I was trying to fit into my dads suit. Everything was so long on my arms and legs....AAAAHHHHHH :(

You could always try buying a suit and then taking it someplace to get altered. I have to do that with one of my jackets because the sleeves are too long. I know a week doesn't give you a lot of time, however, so if you went this route you would have to let the alterations person know how quickly you needed the job done.

yeah i was wondering about anne taylor do they really have good stuff? i want a good suit but i don't want to look like a 55 year old...i'm not saying that i want some hip trendy thing, just something that makes me look like a professional but not a frumpy older lady. thanks hilary clinton, but no thanks?

Members don't see this ad :)
Limited is pretty good, and they have petite and long lengths too for the pants. I also found it very helpful that the pants and jackets come seperately so, as my butt is a little big, I can get pants that aren't too tight, but the shoulders are still in the right place for the jacket. Their suits have a little style too, and don't make you look like a 40 year old. The Limited by me does alterations for free (they have a seamstress come in once a week) so they took in the waist-band for me (most people just got the length adjusted). A lot of stores will do alterations for free or will give you discounts for outside places.

doublepeak said:
Limited is pretty good, and they have petite and long lengths too for the pants. I also found it very helpful that the pants and jackets come seperately so, as my butt is a little big, I can get pants that aren't too tight, but the shoulders are still in the right place for the jacket. Their suits have a little style too, and don't make you look like a 40 year old. The Limited by me does alterations for free (they have a seamstress come in once a week) so they took in the waist-band for me (most people just got the length adjusted). A lot of stores will do alterations for free or will give you discounts for outside places.

Hi! I give my vote to Ann Taylor! They have suits that fit your body especially if you're small. I went to so many places and was about to give up . I was so frustrated. Even when I tried on xs, I looked like a little girl trying on daddy's suit. Definitely try Ann Taylor. They also occasionally have sales that give pretty good deals on suits :). Another thing that worked for me was outlets. At least in Texas, we have random little stores and outlets that nobody has ever heard of. Sometimes, they have suits there that fit. :)

Most of the girls I interviewed with wore pant suits. I went to thirteen interviews (don't ask why, such a waste of money), but any way I didn't see skirts that often, but I also think that you should wear what you feel most comfortable in. The majority of people wore black; I had one all black suit with a peach collared shirt underneath, and my other suit was a grey pinstriped suit with a black v-neck (not plunging) silk cashmere blend shirt. I used a knee length black wool coat I got from Banana a while back for the mid-west and east coast interviews. Any way, if a skirt makes you feel more put together and professional, then go for it. You just have to be confident and smile a lot (except for on the ungodly long tours). I don't think that wearing perfume is a no-no-- I wore a fresh, clean scent. I have really long black hair -- I just straightened it and used a claw type clip to pull some of it back but left the rest, um, "flowing." This kept me from having to put it in a boring bun as well as kept hair away from my face and neatly in place. I kept my nails short and french manicured, which is the way they usually are any way. As for make-up, I wore a translucent powder, very light blush for some color, mascara, eyeliner on bottom, and a mauve-pinkish lipstick (not glossy, fairly matte). I kept jewelery at a minimum - borrowed mom's mini-pearl necklace, wore a watch, and some pearl studs. I found an awesome, sleek Guess portfolio/purse in one for $30 on sale at Macys, which worked perfectly for my personal items and handouts/folders the schools gave out.

Oh, and for my girls with a bust and booty, I found that the Limited and Ann Taylor both know how to make a suit that doesn't make you, ehem, pop out. ;)

A friend of mine went to a "how to get into medical school" talk from an admissions counselor, who said that students interviewing should wear suits made out of "natural" fabrics only (cotton, wool, etc - no polyester). Has anyone else heard this? I mean, I'm going to go buy a nice suit from a nice store, not forever 21, but does it HAVE to be natural fabric?

You shouldn't be able to TELL that it's artificial fiber, I would say.

Last year I went on 8 interviews and got 5 acceptances. I had a dark grey pinstriped suit from Ann Taylor (I'm also curvy but small, and I love AT) with a pink shell and pink/purple scarf (I wear scarves a lot, so I feel comfortable in them). I bought both pants and skirt to wear with my suit, and mostly wore the skirt because I had shoes to go with it - they were pointy and cute but with a relatively low (probably 1.5") heel. When it got cold I switched to pants and wore them with dressy boots. My hair is just past shoulder-length and I usually wore it down but groomed. I just wore my usual black wool peacoat.

Most girls I saw were wearing dark suits, split between pants and skirts. (I asked an acquaintance of mine whose dad is on the Harvard adcom, and he says either is totally fine.) There were a lot of people with their hair either down or half up. Some of the girls who wore buns looked pretty frumpy IMO but then again, some of them looked great. Whatever you're comfortable with, really.

And yeah there were definitely people wearing some inappropriate outfits. Like the girl who was wearing a short skirt with a lacy ruffle around the bottom and a low-cut white tank top under her jacket. There was a LOT of cleavage going on.

Just be appropriate, don't go into debt for your suit but buy the best quality you can afford (because a suit is an investment!), and think whether your mom or grandma would approve.

I don't know what type of shirt to wear underneath my blazer. I collared button down shirt or a shell? Also, I usually wear a lot of pink, but I don't know if a pink shirt would look unprofessional or not. Any input?

waterlily said:
I don't know what type of shirt to wear underneath my blazer. I collared button down shirt or a shell? Also, I usually wear a lot of pink, but I don't know if a pink shirt would look unprofessional or not. Any input?

I've heard it is better to wear a shell rather then a collared shirt because it can get real hot on interview days.

waterlily said:

Either is fine, and pink is also fine. Completely professional.

I'm actually surprised people make the mistake of wearing something so wholly inappropriate at this stage in the game. Even being from miami, where people wear wholly inappropriate things all of the time, and everywhere they go, I would think this would be the one occassion where you would get it right, or at least err on the side of safety.

The rule on natural fiber vs. synthetic- nothing should be shiny or *looks* like it would stretch (although stretch wool = best thing ever) or make noise when you walk.

Basically, obsess over your clothes so that the outcome is that during the interview, you never give them a second thought- in terms of comfort, appropriateness, how you look... No tugging at skirts, thinking about your feet, adjusting your cleavage in your white tank top...

Hi everyone,
I was reading through the thread and definitely want to second (or third) the notion that Anne Taylor is the best. When I was interviewing last year, most people had black suits (about equally split between pantsuits and skirts). The only thing that I want to add is that it doesn't really seem to matter what color the suit is (as long as it's not neon or a desperate call for attention) or whether it's a skirt or pants. The most important thing is that it fits right. You aren't supposed to be swimming in your jacket; at the same time, the buttons aren't supposed to be stretched out. If the clothes don't fit, you'll be spending more time worrying about how you look or whether the pants are too tight in the butt region, and that will be interpreted as a lack of confidence. If you aren't sure whether it fits, ask a saleswoman; she's there to help (and, if she doesn't want to help you, ask someone else or go to another store).
Wear what you're comfortable in. There are more important things to worry about during interview day than the color of your suit.
Also, best advice ever: if your heels give you blisters, there are these awesome padded blister band-aids (in the band-aid aisle) that are sold at most grocery stores. Buy some and put them in your purse in the event that your shoes decide to mutiny. They help with trouble regions of most heels.
Just a comment on long hair (I have long hair). If you can wear it down without playing with it during an interview, then go for it. If you find yourself twirling it around your finger while waiting or when you get nervous, pull it back (low ponytail, bun, whatever).

Have any of you started looking at handbags for the interview process? I have a black suit, and carrying a black handbag would look awful IMO. Anyone found something that stands out in color but is also professional-looking?

If worst comes to worst and I end up not finding a decent bag that goes w/ my suit, I'll just carry around a folder on interview day. Can't look that bad, can it? :oops:

I work for a medical school and one of the ladies who is the right hand of one of our surgeons gave me some advice on my suit that I thought I'd share. She said that a skirt suit shows that you are serious. She said a pink shirt may be construed as frivolous by some of the older adcom members. She also suggested bringing an extra pair of pantyhose in the purse incase of a snag which was my greatest fear about the whole skirtsuit thing. She said that this is all silly but if you have an older interviewer it might make a bad impression if you step outside of those old-fashioned boundries. Thought I'd share, might not make a difference but who would want to not get into med school because you had a pink shirt on right??

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a shell? I get the general impression (no collar, etc.) but is it always short-sleeved or sleeveless . . . or made of a certain fabric? What is a shell, exactly?

Seona said:
Pardon my ignorance, but what is a shell? I get the general impression (no collar, etc.) but is it always short-sleeved or sleeveless . . . or made of a certain fabric? What is a shell, exactly?

someone correct if me I'm wrong, but
I think it's whatever goes inside your suit...usually not a collared shirt/blouse though. It's usually sleeveless...fabric doesn't matter.

I'm having a hard time finding something nice and colorful enough to wear under my black suit. No white. Something preferrably w/ a long collar you can tie, or one of those shirts with a built-in scarf thingys, whatever they're called. I'm starting to wish I bought one of those suits w/ enough design/embroidery/color on it so I could just wear a white or black shirt inside. Also, a big problem I'm finding is that many people just wear a camisole/tank top underneath their suit, which is fine, but I don't want to do that for the med school interviews.

Anyone have any luck w/ handbags yet?

Copying from my earlier post

Have any of you started looking at handbags for the interview process? I have a black suit, and carrying a black handbag would look awful IMO. Anyone found something that stands out in color but is also professional-looking?

If worst comes to worst and I end up not finding a decent bag that goes w/ my suit, I'll just carry around a folder on interview day. Can't look that bad, can it?

Does anyone have any links to sites where they carry nice handbags that are also reasonably priced (is that even possible?!) ?

There's
bluefly, neiman marcus, nordstrom, all the gap/jcrew stores and.....anywhere else? I've not found a single thing that was colorful AND professional-looking. it seems summer style has a monopoly on all the cheerful colors :mad:

waterlily said:
I'm trying to buy my interview attire, and I'm wondering if I should get a coat to go with my suit also, since I know it will be freezing on the east coast in winter. As of right now, I own a beige peacoat. However, since I bought a black skirt suit, I don't think the beige would match. Do you think it's okay and I should just wear whatever jacket I have, or should I buy a black coat? If I should buy a matching black coat, do you think a peacoat or a trenchcoat would go better with a skirt? For people who went on interviews before, what did all other girls wear for coats? I know these are anal questions but 1) I'm a girl, selecting the *right* clothes for any occasion is important to me and 2) I'm a pre-med, whatcha expect? :D Seriously though, any help is much appreciated, thanks!

DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT WEAR HEELS OR ANY OTHER STUPID FORM OF FEMALE FOOTWEAR TO A MEDICAL SCHOOL INTERVIEW IN THE WINTER IN THE NORTHEAST UNLESS YOU WANT TO FALL INTO THE ICE AND SNOW, POSSIBLY CAUSING SERIOUSLY BODILY HARM AND/OR MAKING YOURSELF LOOK LIKE AN IDIOT IN FRONT OF THE ADMISSIONS COMMITTEE. That being said, get a nice warm coat too. It gets pretty frickin cold up here and the wind just bites right through you. Oh yeah, and if you're anywhere near Boston, don't wear anything that says "NY Yankees" on it unless you want to get shot. Literally.

Hey, I was just perusing this forum and thought I'd add my $.02. First of all, I'll say what I wore last year to my interviews: grey tweed suit from Ann Taylor (bought the skirt and pants so I could switch it up) with black knit shell underneath and black dansko dress shoes (not the clogs). I carried a black leather tote bag to put papers and such in. I wore my hair down but neatly styled (it is long but not too much, just past my shoulders) and wore a black wool peacoat and cream colored scarf if it was cold.

I obsessed over what to wear like many of you, of course you want to make a good impression and as this was literally the first suit I bought (I live in Portland, people wear jeans to weddings here) I didn't feel terribly expert on professional attire. I even posted on here to get feedback about my outfit, some of which was not positive (especially about the tweed and the shoes, some felt they weren't "professional" enough). While it is important to make an effort, in my experience when I actually went to the interviews people wore a wide variety of suits in terms of color, style, and material, and all kinds of shoes and acessories--and it really didn't seem to matter much. Adcoms really care about this less than you think. They only care that you look professional, meaning that you are wearing a suit and look nice (well-groomed), but as long as you're not wearing anything obviously inappopriate that stands out noticeably YOU WILL BE FINE. So focus on finding something you look good in and actually like, rather than trying to look cookie-cutter. Since I was spending so much, it was important to me to get something I might actually wear outside of the interview, so the Danskos were a great choice and much more comfortable than your avg. high heel (especially on those long tours), and literally nobody noticed or cared about my footwear, so I would strongly recommend going with shoes you like and might wear again and that don't hurt your feet (mine were the "babette" style if anyone cares). I think the only things that matter are:

1.) Wear a suit- this is not optional. Other clothing may look nice and be acceptable to some interviewers, but a suit (with a skirt or pants, it doesn't matter) is the only safe option for all your interviews.

2.) Stick to neutral colors for the suit- brown, black, gray, or even hunter green if you are so inclined! The shirt or shell underneath can be whatever color you want as long as it doesn't clash.

3.) Wear nice shoes. Any dress shoes, as long as they match the suit, are fine.

4.) Don't wear anything bizarre- this is not the time to make a fashion statement with large jewelry, cleavage, weird hairdo, etc. This is just common sense.

If you do those four things, you will look fine. The goal is just to look nice and not attract any negative attention because of your outfit, which will only happen if you abandon common sense. Other than the above things, I can't think of anything that would influence adcoms about your outfit--it doesn't matter if you wear pants or a skirt, high heels or flats, black or brown or some other neutral color, hair up or down, carry a portfolio or purse or nothing at all. I promise there will be people at your interviews wearing a variety of outfits and you will fit in perfectly. So just try to find something that's good for you and that you are comfortable in, use common sense, and be confident! Good luck!

Just out of curiosity, what's the basic rule about jewelry? Obviously understated, but mostly I'm curious about religious jewelry. Not to say that I would plan on showing up to an interview wearing a rosary or something, but I know that it's not unusual for people to wear small crosses/whatever and not even think about it. So...chuck it?

Other jewelry...rings, watches? Oh, and if you've got multiple piercings (in your ears :p) take out all but one? I'm assuming it's standard interview stuff, but who knows...:)

shhx said:
Just out of curiosity, what's the basic rule about jewelry? Obviously understated, but mostly I'm curious about religious jewelry. Not to say that I would plan on showing up to an interview wearing a rosary or something, but I know that it's not unusual for people to wear small crosses/whatever and not even think about it. So...chuck it?

Other jewelry...rings, watches? Oh, and if you've got multiple piercings (in your ears :p) take out all but one? I'm assuming it's standard interview stuff, but who knows...:)

honestly, i don't think a small cross or something like that will matter. it brings comfort...it's routine to wear...isn't this process stressful enough without switching up the routing? i'm wearing it! ... that is, if i get an interview!

for those of you wearing navy blue suits, are you guys having trouble finding the navy shoes and purse to match (or am i the only one) or are you all using different color accessories? Anyone have suggestions on where i might be able to find a reasonable selection of accessories to match a blue suit? thanks!

black shoes are fine with navy blue...trust me! every fashion person i've ever talked to has agreed. i got a great pair of black pumps from jcrew that look fantastic with my navy blue suit. i'm carrying a burberry tote, with that characteristic plaid and black leather accents to match the shoes. you see soo little of the shoe anyway, at least if you have pants, just the little pointy toe! black is FINE w/ navy blue i think...

anybody else having a hell of a time finding a short sleeved shell or shirt (excuse me, blouse) to wear for summer interviews? everything is sleeveless or long sleeved because fall is coming!! i only have a long sleeved collared white shirt that i would probably have a heat stroke in for interviews in september/october in PA and NY!!! somebody please help me! :eek:

LT2 said:
anybody else having a hell of a time finding a short sleeved shell or shirt (excuse me, blouse) to wear for summer interviews? everything is sleeveless or long sleeved because fall is coming!! i only have a long sleeved collared white shirt that i would probably have a heat stroke in for interviews in september/october in PA and NY!!! somebody please help me! :eek:

petite sophisticate has shells on sale - i got a really nice one there just last weekend. good luck!

anybody else having a hell of a time finding a short sleeved shell or shirt (excuse me, blouse) to wear for summer interviews? everything is sleeveless or long sleeved because fall is coming!! i only have a long sleeved collared white shirt that i would probably have a heat stroke in for interviews in september/october in PA and NY!!! somebody please help me!

Macy's. I think the good ones are April Silks or something like that. They are sleeveless, short sleeve, and long sleeve knit shells. They are really light weight.

are you guys going to bring a portfolio to the interviews? I'm not sure what to bring. I know I'm going to bring a small handbag coz i need to carry my wallet and water. but do most people bring a portfolio as well to bring along their applications and stuff?

i would recommend "Ann Taylor LOFT" if you can find one nearby...it's basically designed for young professional women, so it's a little more affordable than j.crew, banana, ann taylor, etc. i just got a grey suit with skirt and pants (for variety!) 50% off at united colors of benetton (great place if you can find stuff on sale!) and have several tops to wear underneath. i'm obsessed with colorful stuff, so i have light green, light blue, raspberry, yellow, and white and blue striped tops. some of them are tanks with absolutely no cleavage, some are oxford blouses (ie typical button-up shirts with collar), and one is a 3/4-length-sleeve, double-layer mesh top. my point is, some are interesting but certainly not risque! i just can't stand wearing black and white or the like...

in terms of shoes, i got some low-heeled black slingback pumps (kenneth cole reaction is a good brand), but once it's winter, i might break out the black boots, which i wore to most of my job interviews last february-march with a black suit--worked quite well!

and jewelry: i'm gonna stick to small silver or pearl stud earrings and one or two rings. nothing flashy to distract them!

hair: i've got a short, layered shaggy haircut, and i usually flip it out so it looks sleek but not crazy or distracting. no clips, no hairspray...

finally, i have a black leather legal-sized portfolio/folder that fits into a black leather purse of mine. i can't be without lip gloss for long, so a purse is a must for me...and since the portfolio manages to fit inside (for the most part), it's not too cumbersome to carry throughout the day.

this thread, and the subsequent online browsing, inspired me to go back into my closet and look at the suit i already have. I thought i would need to replace it because it my mind's eye it sucked, but now that I have seen it again on me...

I actually really like it, and I understand why I got it to begin with. Its a dark grey, and has flat front pants and a nice cut and the jacket is 2 button. The only thing I don't liek about it is where the bottom of the jacket falls - it hits just a half an inch below where i might want it, and it has a sharp corner, not a curve. Do you think i should even be thinking of having it altered? Its actually really feminine already.

Its strange how memory works out. I really really felt like a man wearing it 2 years ago, but maybe thats just because it was the first time I had to wear a suit and, no matter how feminine they are, you still feel manly.

The color is actually the color I would probably want now anyway, if not black (and if i can avoid it, i dont want black). And it did look nice. I certainly cannot justify getting a new one unless its super on sale.

Maybe now I can tell my mom that we should go coat shopping instead when the time comes for that, because I REALLY don't have anything other than my Patagonia fleece for the chilly days, and my Patagonia ski/mountain climbing/actual winter jacket. Does it count if your jacket is expensive if if it's not a coat? Sheesh!

Or mabe a nice purse...

Hmmm, taking the suit out of the deal makes shopping much more fun. :)

i have short hair..i mean short...i'm a kickboxer and it just makes sense for my sport...how can i make myself look more feminine for the interview...i have a suit with a skirt and pants (for colder months), I don't have pierced ears...

lexy10 said:
i have short hair..i mean short...i'm a kickboxer and it just makes sense for my sport...how can i make myself look more feminine for the interview...i have a suit with a skirt and pants (for colder months), I don't have pierced ears...

you can try parting it to the side and put in a cute hair clip. And you can wear a skirt and subtle make up but still be able to tell you're wearing make up. I think that should balance everything and you'll look feminine.

Embily123 said:
this thread, and the subsequent online browsing, inspired me to go back into my closet and look at the suit i already have. I thought i would need to replace it because it my mind's eye it sucked, but now that I have seen it again on me...

I actually really like it, and I understand why I got it to begin with. Its a dark grey, and has flat front pants and a nice cut and the jacket is 2 button. The only thing I don't liek about it is where the bottom of the jacket falls - it hits just a half an inch below where i might want it, and it has a sharp corner, not a curve. Do you think i should even be thinking of having it altered? Its actually really feminine already.

Its strange how memory works out. I really really felt like a man wearing it 2 years ago, but maybe thats just because it was the first time I had to wear a suit and, no matter how feminine they are, you still feel manly.

The color is actually the color I would probably want now anyway, if not black (and if i can avoid it, i dont want black). And it did look nice. I certainly cannot justify getting a new one unless its super on sale.

Maybe now I can tell my mom that we should go coat shopping instead when the time comes for that, because I REALLY don't have anything other than my Patagonia fleece for the chilly days, and my Patagonia ski/mountain climbing/actual winter jacket. Does it count if your jacket is expensive if if it's not a coat? Sheesh!

Or mabe a nice purse...

Hmmm, taking the suit out of the deal makes shopping much more fun. :)

For some reason, I became fixated on my old standby interview suit's jacket in the exact same way. Must have been a style that was going around. So, it was justification (for some reason) to get a new one, and actually after reading this entire thread, decided to go black skirt suit- exactly what everyone (including myself originally) seems to be going against. I think it's a standby for a reason- it's the classy standard for an interview. I wear suits almost everyday, so it seems to make sense to wear the right one for the right occasion.

So anyway, I think the best advice would be- look like you can actually rock a suit. Nothing makes you look like a kid worse than being one in a strange, uncomfortable, ill fitting suit. Or a nice suit with a fleece over it. Probably the reason people wear suits in business in the first place is that there is something about them that exudes confidence. So your best bet, if you feel like anything could be construed as risky is to just leave it out, but for the most part, if you are just wearing a suit, you are wearing something appropriate. Think about your clothes until you get there, and then be able to not think about them at all.

so let's move onto coats for the cold interview days.

anyone have any suggestions? styles, weights, stores?

Where are you getting your portfolio/folders to carry?

lexy10 said:

clip-on earrings, if you're comfortable with them. surprisingly, there are some decent non-grandma-like ones out there.

wear a more feminine color shirt under your suit (i say this as i wear all black and white...)

I have a navy suit (skirt and pants) and a black suit (pants only...but fem cut). Clips are a good idea, do they make them that clip but don't dangle? My sis wears lots of clips but they are all huge and dangly..which is NOT what i want to wear to an interview. Would a shell be more fem than a collared shirt?

lexy10 said:
I have a navy suit (skirt and pants) and a black suit (pants only...but fem cut). Clips are a good idea, do they make them that clip but don't dangle? My sis wears lots of clips but they are all huge and dangly..which is NOT what i want to wear to an interview. Would a shell be more fem than a collared shirt?

shell is FAR more feminine looking! wear it in a feminine color and it doesn't matter what you hair looks like (i agree with a little barette or soemthing through!)

Is it really ok to wear a pants suit to an interview? I guess I just felt, and I've been told, that we should be feminine and look it, not to be sexist (or sexy) but I think a skirt is more professional. Any ideas? Personally, I figure they're just going to see me in scrubs, I might as well just wear them to the interview!

Skirt, mid length. Black.
Long sleeved shirt, collared, white.
Pantyhose, black.
Black shoes.
Black bag.
Natural makeup with accenting jewelry.

You want to look the way you would if you were in with a patient.

If you REALLY want to score points(if you have a male interviewer and you have nice legs) roll your skirt before going in.