Women's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am a woman with super short (read: pixie) hair. I generally style with a little product and spray in the morning and the result is somewhere in the feminine and slightly tousled range. Is this alright? I'm scared to try and overtame it and end up looking masculine. >.<

Don't do your hair drastically different than you normally would. Tousled is fine, as long as it doesn't look messy. I would ask a couple honest people you know if they think it looks professional enough for an interview. If they say no, there are plenty of great-looking short hairstyles that are very feminine.

Members don't see this ad.

Turns out you can't just walk into a store & try on suits...I went to Nordstrom and they had no matching suits, only about 3 pairs of pants total in my size, and their only suit blazers were either bright red or ugly. I don't understand this game.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do people wear shirts like this?

http://www.express.com/long-sleeve-...ndex.pro?relatedItem=true&showBreadcrumb=true

I have two of these in blue but I'm trying to decide if I need to buy different shirts for interviews. Thanks!

Wear that under your suit jacket unless you can see even a speck of breast. Otherwise, wear a camisole underneath it or find a more traditional buttoned shirt or high-neck shell. I can't even wear that style of shirt for that reason (it's annoying that so many clothing companies make work clothes too sexy...).

Also, ladies, make sure to wear close-toed shoes. :thumbup:

What does everyone think about closed-toe, closed-heel, leather wedges under a pantsuit? Are wedges considered too casual/trendy or is it okay because it's mostly hidden?

What does everyone think about closed-toe, closed-heel, leather wedges under a pantsuit? Are wedges considered too casual/trendy or is it okay because it's mostly hidden?

Probably fine. Do you have a picture?

Also, thoughts on that suit? Not too casual? I like the pattern in it.

Turns out you can't just walk into a store & try on suits...I went to Nordstrom and they had no matching suits, only about 3 pairs of pants total in my size, and their only suit blazers were either bright red or ugly. I don't understand this game.

huh.. why not?

I wore close-toed, grey, suede wedges with a skirt suit and it ended up fine for me. :) They were way more comfortable to walk in than traditional heels. And the example you posted is very appropriate.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wore close-toed, grey, suede wedges with a skirt suit and it ended up fine for me. :) They were way more comfortable to walk in than traditional heels. And the example you posted is very appropriate.

Suede too! That opens a whole new realm of possibilities :D

do we have to strictly wear pansuits/skirts? What do you think of a conservative one-piece dress with a blazer on top??

Finally! Found the perfect suit at Banana Republic. I'm new at buying nice clothes (I have dressed myself from goodwill & free boxes for most of my adult life). BR was the only place I've gone to where someone seemed to know enough about clothes to make recommendations on things that will work together & specifically complement my hair/skintone/etc. Walked out lookin like a boss.

What do y'all think of a dress with a blazer or suit jacket? I see a lot of stuff about suits (pant or skirt) but I was wondering about dresses.
I love this dress http://www.thelimited.com/Metallic-...start=17&ppid=c17&cgid=cocktail-party-dresses
but I don't know if that would be considered inappropriate. Opinions?
Or if that is "too much" would a simpler dress like this be alright with a suit jacket? http://www.thelimited.com/Bow-Belt-...lorCode=150&start=7&ppid=c7&cgid=work-dresses

Thanks!

What do y'all think of a dress with a blazer or suit jacket? I see a lot of stuff about suits (pant or skirt) but I was wondering about dresses.
I love this dress http://www.thelimited.com/Metallic-...start=17&ppid=c17&cgid=cocktail-party-dresses
Or if that is "too much" would a simpler dress like this be alright with a suit jacket? http://www.thelimited.com/Bow-Belt-...lorCode=150&start=7&ppid=c7&cgid=work-dresses

Thanks!

I'd go with the second dress with a suit jacket. I love the first one you posted, but it's a touch informal/date night-y.

Thanks!

The first dress is for a spring wedding. Keep in mind that almost all interviews will be in the Fall and Winter, so go for darker colors generally. The second dress is certainly more professional, but I don't think it's meant to go with a blazer- the top part is all black and adding more black or gray on top of that would be too one-dimensional. For a similar look, I'd just do a pencil skirt and a blouse with a jacket to mix up the fabrics and add more color. Also, try to find a skirt that hits just below the knee rather than above the knee. You will be sitting down in the interview and then when you get up at the end to shake their hand...God forbid the skirt rides up!

The first dress is for a spring wedding. Keep in mind that almost all interviews will be in the Fall and Winter, so go for darker colors generally. The second dress is certainly more professional, but I don't think it's meant to go with a blazer- the top part is all black and adding more black or gray on top of that would be too one-dimensional. For a similar look, I'd just do a pencil skirt and a blouse with a jacket to mix up the fabrics and add more color. Also, try to find a skirt that hits just below the knee rather than above the knee. You will be sitting down in the interview and then when you get up at the end to shake their hand...God forbid the skirt rides up!

I think a black sheath with a grey blazer would look great. Wear a thin, colored belt at your natural waist to break up the monochrome dress.

hey ladies, i'm an indian girl and i have my nose pierced and i'm not sure if i have to take it out for the interview. i have a simple stud in that looks like this

http://www.freshtrends.com/mas_assets/categoryimages/Nose-Rings.jpg

i would take it out and cover it up but i've had my nose pierced for so long you can easily tell there's a teeny hole there, which i think looks worse than having the nose ring in.

nose piercings are fairly common in indian culture but its not exactly considered conservative in american culture sooo i'm not sure how the interviewer will perceive it. what do y'all think? thanks!

My hair is 3-4 inches past my shoulders. Is leaving it down professional enough, or should I put it half-up or into a high-ish ponytail?

My hair is 3-4 inches past my shoulders. Is leaving it down professional enough, or should I put it half-up or into a high-ish ponytail?

Depends. Do you play with your hair? If so, put it up. I kept my long hair down but straightened it and put two bobby pins on the sides so it would stay out of my face. If you don't normally wear your hair up, don't feel obligated to change it for interviews unless you can't get it to look professional otherwise.

Any of you had good luck getting Ann Taylor suits tailored?

Yes! I bought a navy Ann Taylor skirt suit. The jacket fit me in the shoulders, but was way too big through the waist (despite it being a 00... grumble grumble). I had it tailored to fit me perfectly for just $15. I think the rule is that as long as you find a jacket that fits in the shoulders, pretty much anything else can be tweaked to fit, but the shoulders are really difficult to change.

http://www.dillards.com/product/Ant...ers_301_-1_301_502919304?df=03672527_zi_black

I bought these shoes today. What do yall think? I don't think I'll have a problem walking miles in them.

I was quickly browsing and nearly choked on my drink when I saw those shoes. Not that they are bad or anything, but I accidentally thought I was in the Men's Interview Clothing thread :hungover:.

And to address your question, I have no clue what its like to walk in heels, ... sorry!

I haven't even begun applying to medical schools (and won't be for at least another 2 years), but just out of curiosity, should tall girls avoid wearing heels to these interviews? I ask because I'm 6'2" so I wonder if it would seem obnoxious for me to be wearing even small 2" heels. :confused:

I haven't even begun applying to medical schools (and won't be for at least another 2 years), but just out of curiosity, should tall girls avoid wearing heels to these interviews? I ask because I'm 6'2" so I wonder if it would seem obnoxious for me to be wearing even small 2" heels. :confused:

Do you wear heels a lot! Do you like them? If yes, there won't be a problem. But don't feel obligated to wear heels if you normally don't.

Do you wear heels a lot! Do you like them? If yes, there won't be a problem. But don't feel obligated to wear heels if you normally don't.

I wear heels for formal occasions and going out to bars with friends, but when I do wear heels I'm literally between 6'5" and 6'7"!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wear heels for formal occasions and going out to bars with friends, but when I do wear heels I'm literally between 6'5" and 6'7"!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh wow. Maybe it's just me, but I feel like a lot of guys find girls that tall to be too intimidating to approach. Is that true?

Oh wow. Maybe it's just me, but I feel like a lot of guys find girls that tall to be too intimidating to approach. Is that true?

Absolutely, haha. Some guys don't mind though, especially if they're also on the tall side (6' and 6'1") and if I'm dating a guy who's my height or a little shorter I don't wear heels around him usually lol.

I think that's awesome. I'm on the awkwardly tall side when I wear heels (although not as tall as you) and I feel like a supermodel in heels. I think you should feel free to wear heels to your interview as long as you're comfortable in them and you don't unconsciously slouch being around shorter people. You'll definitely stand out!

EPIC MULTI-QUOTE!

What does everyone think of this top in the watermelon color
http://www.lechateau.com/style/jump...vCount=0&categoryNav=true&selectedColor=Khaki
that will be paired with a black blazer and a black pencil skirt/suit pants (dunno which one I'll wear).

I'm also thinking of these heels: http://www.payless.com/store/produc...&lotId=093861&category=&catdisplayName=Womens

And this tote: http://www.payless.com/store/produc...&lotId=091283&category=&catdisplayName=Womens

I LOVE the watermelon, especially paired with a black suit. I originally didn't want a black suit at all, but one with very light stripes fit me best. I got a pink-purple shell kinda like what you posted for some color and was very happy with it. I think using your shirt to add a pop of color to a sea of navy/grey/black suits is nice. I like the shoes and bag, too.

What color shoes an bag should I wear with a navy suit... Beige or black?

Keep in mind I am completely fashion-challenged, but I thought brown was the recommended color to pair with navy.

Thank you!

I wasn't sure if the beige/nude because it is a skirt suit.. I wore nude shoes with it for my research presentation.

Also, I've been reading all sorts of stuff on interview suits, so I might as well ask now. Is a fitted pencil skirt suit of proper length appropriate or would something less for fitting be better?

Most skirt suits have pencil skirts. As long as it's not super clingy and an appropriate length they are perfectly professional, and actually very flattering on a surprising range of body types.

Does anyone have any tips for where to buy suits for someone on a budget?

I got a Tahari suit at Macy's for under $200.

Que? Go to Macy's. The one close to me had an entire section devoted to women's suits.

I agree with Mighty...

Depends. Do you play with your hair? If so, put it up. I kept my long hair down but straightened it and put two bobby pins on the sides so it would stay out of my face. If you don't normally wear your hair up, don't feel obligated to change it for interviews unless you can't get it to look professional otherwise.

A smooth, neat ponytail is fine, especially if you're likely to play with your hair constantly when it's down (like I do). Go with a style that is neat and you're comfortable with.

I have no advice for the tall ladies asking about heels. I'm short and I hate wearing heels as it is. :laugh:

I'm going to wear a black skirt suit and panty hose. What color panty hose do most women wear? Nude? I think nude looks so geriatric. And a black pantyhose should be somewhat sheer, right (nothing opaque)?

Also, any time I've worn panty hose with heels, the shoe slips out the whole time. Is there a type of panty hose/shoe that avoids this problem? I don't want to worry about it during interviews.

Well you probably don't want to wear heels that high to med school interviews. One or two inches is appropriate.

I'm going to wear a black skirt suit and panty hose. What color panty hose do most women wear? Nude? I think nude looks so geriatric. And a black pantyhose should be somewhat sheer, right (nothing opaque)?

Also, any time I've worn panty hose with heels, the shoe slips out the whole time. Is there a type of panty hose/shoe that avoids this problem? I don't want to worry about it during interviews.

Yes, wear nude. I wouldn't recommend dark pantyhose unless it matches your skin tone. Definitely no tights. You won't look geriatric, you'll look professional. :) For the shoe problem, you must find a pair that fit properly. You can also buy sticky grips/inserts at Target.

Thank you! I appreciate the advice.

Yes, wear nude. I wouldn't recommend dark pantyhose unless it matches your skin tone. Definitely no tights. You won't look geriatric, you'll look professional. :) For the shoe problem, you must find a pair that fit properly. You can also buy sticky grips/inserts at Target.

So how does this suit look?

http://www.kaboodle.com/reviews/calvin-klein-tonal-stripe-pant-suit

Bad color? Not professional enough?

Hmmm, there's something about that color that really turns me off, but it's probably just me. I think if you're going to do a brown suit it should be a darker color with maybe a cream-colored shell underneath. Also, women with darker-toned skin tend to look the best in brown suits. We pale chicks should stick to dark blue, black, or grey. The suit itself is great, though.

Is it appropiate to bring a purse or bag during the inteview? If yes, what kind of purse or bag looks good?

Is it appropiate to bring a purse or bag during the inteview? If yes, what kind of purse or bag looks good?

Yes of course. As long as it's simple/not too flashy. I had brought a black tote bag to one of my interviews.

Is it wrong to show off some skin in the interviews?

Sorry about being clueless about this kind of stuff, but what should we be bringing to interviews? A tote and some kind of notebook?