Women's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
agreed.. saw lots of interviewees with their hair down.. still looked professional! plan to do the same... I look 12 in a ponytail and can't manage a bun!
 
Agreed about the hair. Your committee says to wear your hair in a bun because that's what a "doctor would do," but I bet they'd look at you funny if you were to show up in a white coat and scrubs!

Also, if you're not used to putting your hair up, the whole "I just put my hair into a twisted up mess with this hair band that's been on my wrist for two months" look doesn't really fly (I just had a girl do this when I interviewed her...totally didn't match her suit in formality, and it looked so much better when she pulled it out after the interview).

Two caveats to this idea: 1) If you can't stop messing with your hair if it's down, I'd maybe consider wearing it half up or partly clipped back. 2) If your hair falls below your natural waist, I'd consider that pushing the boundaries of many professional dress codes and would wear it up to disguise the length.

PS. Hello again clothing thread!
 
I've been reading that We should wear nude pantyhose if wearing a skirt suit. Is it okay to wear sheer black pantyhose instead? My suit is black....I can't seem to find a nude pantyhose that matches my skin tone. Is black considered inappropriate?
 
I've been reading that We should wear nude pantyhose if wearing a skirt suit. Is it okay to wear sheer black pantyhose instead? My suit is black....I can't seem to find a nude pantyhose that matches my skin tone. Is black considered inappropriate?

I do not find black pantyhose to be professional unless you have very dark skin. Find the closest nude match.
 
So, I have a couple interviews coming up where there will probably be pretty cold weather - like Minnesota in mid-November. Is a long wool peacoat pretty standard? I am puzzling over whether I can justify owning a "dress coat" that I don't wear every day & mess up. It just seems like a silly way to spend money, but then again, my clothing budget is usually less than $100/year so this whole process feels kind of ridiculous.

Or considering that most of interview days are usually inside, is a coat actually that important?

If you interview in the North. No Need. Everything is connected and even if you do have to walk outside it will be very brief. It gets kind of warm in those buildings and you will be stuck carrying your coat around.

Most places are pretty down to earth. I don't think anyone would hold it against you if you came wearing a parka. Otherwise, I would look for a cheapo one at Forever 21 or old Navy for less than $50, no need to spend $100+ dollars.
 
Last edited:
I've been reading that We should wear nude pantyhose if wearing a skirt suit. Is it okay to wear sheer black pantyhose instead? My suit is black....I can't seem to find a nude pantyhose that matches my skin tone. Is black considered inappropriate?

In contrast to TMS, I don't have a problem with black pantyhose, especially if you're wearing them with a black skirt. I think you're ok as long as you AVOID the following:

1) opaque tights
2) nude hose that look like bad spray tan
3) anything with a color, texture, or pattern
 
I have an Ann Taylor dark grey suit with thin, light grey pinstripes. I was planning on wearing a white button-down shirt underneath. I was thinking about black shoes with a black bag, but could I do brown shoes with a brown bag? I don't really like black leather, but if I will look strange with brown shoes then I guess I will go with the black.
 
I have an Ann Taylor dark grey suit with thin, light grey pinstripes. I was planning on wearing a white button-down shirt underneath. I was thinking about black shoes with a black bag, but could I do brown shoes with a brown bag? I don't really like black leather, but if I will look strange with brown shoes then I guess I will go with the black.

Yes you can wear grey and brown together! I love this look (even though it's a guy): http://www.primermagazine.com/2010/spend/your-gray-suits-new-brown-shoes

If you're going to try to pull off grey with brown shoes, I'd keep the following in mind:
- If your suit is so charcoal as to be almost mistaken for black, they might not look as good as black shoes (depends on shade of brown)
- Your belt and shoes should be the same hue of brown (not quite as important for your bag, and yes if you have belt loops and a tucked in shirt, you need a belt)
- Tan/saddle colored shoes make more of a statement than darker shoes, but I love the look
 
Yes you can wear grey and brown together! I love this look (even though it's a guy): http://www.primermagazine.com/2010/spend/your-gray-suits-new-brown-shoes

If you're going to try to pull off grey with brown shoes, I'd keep the following in mind:
- If your suit is so charcoal as to be almost mistaken for black, they might not look as good as black shoes (depends on shade of brown)
- Your belt and shoes should be the same hue of brown (not quite as important for your bag, and yes if you have belt loops and a tucked in shirt, you need a belt)
- Tan/saddle colored shoes make more of a statement than darker shoes, but I love the look

Thank you, I think I will proceed with this look instead of black!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all, any recommendations for medium length curly hair? Wearing my hair down seems like not a great option because my hair is pretty crazy.

My other question is that if I do put it up, is a normal ponytail holder ok, or what else should I use to secure it back? My hair tends to be a bit much for a normal clip to handle... thanks for any input!
 
must women carry a bag/purse?? The only tote-like bag I have is tan......do I need to go find a black one?
 
must women carry a bag/purse?? The only tote-like bag I have is tan......do I need to go find a black one?

You don't have to bring one if you don't want to. I don't think the color matters as long as it looks professional.
 
So... I am really late in this thread, but...

I really like wearing dresses and blazers. Is that still appropriate for the interview?

I have a grey dress with a black blazer and I wanted to wear a colored scarf.
Pearl Earrings
Sheer tights
Shoes: flats
I also have a tote (Black)

Also, what kind of folder should I put resumes and stuff in?
 
Hey all, any recommendations for medium length curly hair? Wearing my hair down seems like not a great option because my hair is pretty crazy.
[/B]!

So... this is perfect for me!

I'm a African female and I have natural hair (tight curls, very kinky). I have tamed my hair, but I am not sure what a professional style would be.

Suggestions?
 
I had not thought about wearing a suit until now...and I have large calves from my sport and see a lot of posting about a skirt suit, would it be okay to wear a pant suit?? I have tan, brown with vertical stripes, and black pants and would need a blazer...any recommendations on color?
 
Ya know, if Hillary Clinton wears a scrunchie, then it must be okay. But no, seriously, I would use a regular elastic that blends into your hair, then pull a small strand out of the ponytail, wrap it around the elastic, and secure it with a bobby pin. It'll look nicer than just a plain elastic, and it's super easy to do.


Also: Guys. Guys. I just bought my first big-girl purse. I figured the cobalt blue satchel I'm carting around right now might draw negative attention. It cost almost as much as my suit, and the leather is so soft that I keep petting it. Whooo marshalls!

That's a great idea, thanks. Gonna try it! 🙂
 
I think the general consensus is that a professional-looking dress with a blazer would be fine for work, but not ideal for the interview. There's an old adage that you're supposed to dress more formally for an interview than even your interviewer, so you're probably better off with a suit. You could wear a skirt suit, though, if you're more comfortable in skirts than pants.

The folder I was talking about, I'm under the impression that they often give you a folder of school-related material at your interview, you don't have to bring one.

Thank you!
My mentor just told me the same thing!
 
Do ladies go for something that is professional but "cute"? What about professional and sexy? Or is that a no no

I think the sexy part is a no-no but I think cute is fine. If it compliments your personality. Sexy may be pushing it or make people uncomfortable. I don't professional and sexy go hand in hand.
 
Not exactly interview clothes, but what is an appropriately warm coat for New York in November? I am from California and have not experienced seasons...haha.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Not exactly interview clothes, but what is an appropriately warm coat for New York in November? I am from California and have not experienced seasons...haha.


Haha I came on to ask the same question! I have 2 interviews at the beginning of December, one in New York and one in Cleveland. Being from California I am really unsure of what to wear. It sounds like people think a nice trench coat would be warm enough and would be appropriate for the weather on the East coast??

What are you going to wear for shoes? I only have one pair of dress shoes that I can wear for extended periods of time without needing to limp, but I'm not sure if they would work for somewhere cold, especially if there is snow on the ground. Any advice?
 
So... this is perfect for me!

I'm a African female and I have natural hair (tight curls, very kinky). I have tamed my hair, but I am not sure what a professional style would be.

Suggestions?

How long is your natural hair? The last time you went to an official function what did you do with it?

If it is in the teeny weeny afro stage, then a neat afro should be good. Or you could just braid it with extensions and do a pony tail or a bun.

If it is long enough for you to hold together in one grasp, you could braid your hair itself and make a pony tail out of it, or hold it back with a head band or something.

If weaves are your thing, you could never go wrong with that. You can get a weave in pretty much any hair style you want. Flowing locks, pixie cut, springy coils, and then you would just have to follow the advice that has already been given with regards to girls whose natural hair type is what the weave approximates.
 
It's not going to be thaaaaat cold. Suits are pretty warm, too, so either a heavyweight trench coat or a cheapo peacoat from Target or Old Navy would work. I've found that with all my friends from california, they psych themselves up for winter in New England like it's going to be Antarctica or something, and then they end up walking around in January in flip-flops going "This is nothing, guys!!!".

I think this coat in khaki is great, it's fully lined so it'll be relatively warm. It looks much more expensive in person, it's similar to an Anthropologie trench I have, at half the price: :http://www.target.com/p/merona-water...Slot=large_1_1
You described my thoughts exactly! I get cold at ~65 so I'm fearful of anything lower! I have similar coats already, I suppose I will layer up underneath them since I still am cold in California...haha.

Haha I came on to ask the same question! I have 2 interviews at the beginning of December, one in New York and one in Cleveland. Being from California I am really unsure of what to wear. It sounds like people think a nice trench coat would be warm enough and would be appropriate for the weather on the East coast??

What are you going to wear for shoes? I only have one pair of dress shoes that I can wear for extended periods of time without needing to limp, but I'm not sure if they would work for somewhere cold, especially if there is snow on the ground. Any advice?
What I've been doing is wearing flats around since I don't like wearing my heels, but if you can manage in your dress shoes maybe you can wear a pair of pantyhose or flat socks underneath? That's what I'm considering for my flats/heels. I'm getting boots for when I'm not in my suit.
 
I have two questions that I need opinions on:
1. Is it okay if I leave my mid-length hair down with a headband for my interview?
2. Everyone seems to be saying on this thread to only apply eyeliner to the upper lid, but I also very lightly apply eyeliner on my lower lid too, is that okay?

Thanks in advance!
 
I have two questions that I need opinions on:
1. Is it okay if I leave my mid-length hair down with a headband for my interview?
2. Everyone seems to be saying on this thread to only apply eyeliner to the upper lid, but I also very lightly apply eyeliner on my lower lid too, is that okay?

Thanks in advance!

1. Yes. Headband should match your suit or shoes. No bows or flowers.

2. If you're good enough to make it look natural, lower lid is fine. Most people end up making their eyes look darker and smaller with both lids lined. The idea is to keep your eye make up simple, natural, and not too dark!
 
Thoughts on skinny dress pants?

I really like Tahari:
http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/tahari-pants-tab-front-skinny?ID=701699&PseudoCat=se-xx-xx-xx.esn_results

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/tahari-by-asl-pants-skinny-tuxedo-trousers?ID=727128&CategoryID=157&LinkType=PDPZ1

This one is less skinny more just straight-legged:

http://www.dillards.com/product/Tahari-by-ASL-Pinstripe-2Piece-Pant-Suit_301_-1_301_503356364?df=03771196_zi_black_white


Also, I have pretty long hair- about 11 inches from my shoulder. Would it be unprofessional to leave it down. I was thinking about doing a small head band style braid and straightening.

Thanks 🙂
 
Thoughts on skinny dress pants?

I really like Tahari:
http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/...y?ID=701699&PseudoCat=se-xx-xx-xx.esn_results

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/...users?ID=727128&CategoryID=157&LinkType=PDPZ1

This one is less skinny more just straight-legged:

http://www.dillards.com/product/Tah...1_-1_301_503356364?df=03771196_zi_black_white


Also, I have pretty long hair- about 11 inches from my shoulder. Would it be unprofessional to leave it down. I was thinking about doing a small head band style braid and straightening.

Thanks 🙂

I thought braids like braiding back bangs etc made the interviewee look younger and more concerned with fashion and trendiness. I thought it detracted. Just my personal opinion. Id use a plain headband or leave it down or half up or low ponytail etc.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using SDN Mobile
 
Anyone else have trouble walking in heels? I never wear them and have a hard time keeping them from slipping off when walking. Thinking about wearing flats for my next interview - it would be much more comfortable. Also - what is everyone's thoughts on wearing a suit dress vs. an actual suit for an interview?
 
Anyone else have trouble walking in heels? I never wear them and have a hard time keeping them from slipping off when walking. Thinking about wearing flats for my next interview - it would be much more comfortable. Also - what is everyone's thoughts on wearing a suit dress vs. an actual suit for an interview?

I've been wearing flats and have not been the only one in my interviews doing so. My premed advisors actually encouraged us to wear flats, especially if we're uncomfortable in heels, because the last thing you want on interview day is to feel uncomfortable in your clothes. Also, I think the consensus is an actual suit is better than a suit dress.
 
I've been wearing flats and have not been the only one in my interviews doing so. My premed advisors actually encouraged us to wear flats, especially if we're uncomfortable in heels, because the last thing you want on interview day is to feel uncomfortable in your clothes. Also, I think the consensus is an actual suit is better than a suit dress.

Flats it is then! Thanks for the advice! I thought the same about the suit dress, but I just feel so uncomfortable in a suit and feel like a dress is more me. However, wearing a suit is really nothing compared to everything else you have to do to get into med school, so suit it will continue to be!
 
I found a beautiful chocolate brown suit at Dillards (by Alex Marie). I'm a little concerned that the lining is leopard print! I'm afraid that if I take my jacket off for lunch and place it on the back of the chair, eyebrows might be raised. I'm I just being a little too paranoid? After all, it is the LINING.
 
I found a beautiful chocolate brown suit at Dillards (by Alex Marie). I'm a little concerned that the lining is leopard print! I'm afraid that if I take my jacket off for lunch and place it on the back of the chair, eyebrows might be raised. I'm I just being a little too paranoid? After all, it is the LINING.

I never took my suit jacket off during an interview, because I was wearing a sleeveless shell. I never needed to. I understand your concern about the leopard print lining, so I'd just advise you not to show it. Better to be safe that be known as "the girl with the leopard print suit", that's unlikely to happen but why let it?
 
How long is your natural hair? ... or hold it back with a head band or something.

1-2 inch wide head band is my vote. Same color as suit or shoes/belt/bag. Just make sure it stays put so you don't keep adjusting it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I read through the entire thread! Questions:

1. So a light grey pantsuit is not okay for the current season (for an interview on the east coast)?

2. I'm short and am great in heels, so I was going to wear 3.5in black, boring, professional shoes. Is that alright or is that too tall?
 
I read through the entire thread! Questions:

1. So a light grey pantsuit is not okay for the current season (for an interview on the east coast)?

2. I'm short and am great in heels, so I was going to wear 3.5in black, boring, professional shoes. Is that alright or is that too tall?

Light grey is fine. 3.5 inches is pretty tall, I would stick with 2 inches max.
 
Thoughts on skinny dress pants?

I really like Tahari:
This one is less skinny more just straight-legged:

http://www.dillards.com/product/Tahari-by-ASL-Pinstripe-2Piece-Pant-Suit_301_-1_301_503356364?df=03771196_zi_black_white

I like the straight-legged pant best. Not quite as trendy.

Also, I think the consensus is an actual suit is better than a suit dress.

This. I wear a wool suit-like dress and jacket (non-matching) when I interview people for my job. It might look a little strange if you showed up to the interview attired like the interviewer!

I read through the entire thread! Questions:

1. So a light grey pantsuit is not okay for the current season (for an interview on the east coast)?

2. I'm short and am great in heels, so I was going to wear 3.5in black, boring, professional shoes. Is that alright or is that too tall?

1. Depends on how light of a grey your suit is. If it's closer to a mediumish grey I'd go for it. A super pale light grey could be borderline depending on what blouse you wear, etc.

What I'd consider a medium grey: http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=41699&vid=1&pid=905660002

Pale light grey: http://www.calvinklein.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12423157&CAWELAID=1268294876&cagpspn=pla

2. I wear 3.5" boring black professional heels every day because I like being taller too. They don't look as tall because they're a stacked heel vs. stilettos and I can walk for miles in them. Under 4", I think it's more the style of the shoe that makes it appropriate, not necessarily heel height. My personal opinion here 🙂

pretty urgent- trying to order today!

Is a suit jacket without buttons appropriate?

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/...ont-blazer?ID=727120&CategoryID=120&RVI=PDP_2

I doubt anyone will even notice it doesn't have buttons.