Women's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sorry about being clueless about this kind of stuff, but what should we be bringing to interviews? A tote and some kind of notebook?

Nice professional looking tote/purse, with your wallet, keys, phone, notebook (can be small), a spare pen just in case, and your A game. 🙂
 
Okay so for my interviews I want to be memorable, but not tacky, and also maintain a professional appearance. I'm just having a hard time balancing the two... For example, I don't want to wear a typical black suit/all grey dress suit etc... (ecspecially in my upcoming north Carolina interview where I'm gonna roast/ deal with extreme humidity)... Any input?? Also, is it okay to mix and match blazer and slack colors if they go well?? Thanks!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Between studying and working, I've never really paid too much attention to my nails as many other girls do. What do others think about nail polish for interviews? I was thinking just clear nail polish but are there guidelines for this aspect of appearance as well?
 
Between studying and working, I've never really paid too much attention to my nails as many other girls do. What do others think about nail polish for interviews? I was thinking just clear nail polish but are there guidelines for this aspect of appearance as well?

Keep it simple. Clean, filed, fairly short, NATURAL fingernails. No polish is fine, but if you're going to paint them, just use clear or something else very light.
 
Okay so for my interviews I want to be memorable, but not tacky, and also maintain a professional appearance. I'm just having a hard time balancing the two... For example, I don't want to wear a typical black suit/all grey dress suit etc... (ecspecially in my upcoming north Carolina interview where I'm gonna roast/ deal with extreme humidity)... Any input?? Also, is it okay to mix and match blazer and slack colors if they go well?? Thanks!

Better to plan on being memorable for what you say, not what you're wearing. You don't have to wear a drab black suit/white button-down ensemble. Try a colorful shell or pretty hairstyle. But you don't want your clothes themselves to be noticeable, really. Your goal should be to look stylish and professional overall so that interviewers remember YOU, not your outfit.
 
Does it have to be a leather legal pad? Also, i realize this is a stupid question, but what would you do with a tote during the interview-just put it on the floor by your chair?

Nice professional looking tote/purse, with your wallet, keys, phone, notebook (can be small), a spare pen just in case, and your A game. 🙂
 
Oh I'm sorry, I was under the interpretation that this is the "Women's Interview Clothing" Thread when I posted a question about "clothing" rather than what I plan on "saying" in my interview....
 
Keep it simple. Clean, filed, fairly short, NATURAL fingernails. No polish is fine, but if you're going to paint them, just use clear or something else very light.

Thank you so much! Lol ill def keep them natural. I've actually never gotten fake nails or whatever they're technically called done haha
 
Does it have to be a leather legal pad? Also, i realize this is a stupid question, but what would you do with a tote during the interview-just put it on the floor by your chair?

I set my professional lookibg large gray purse down on the floor by my chair during my interviews. I carried it in on my left arm so I could still shake hands. Its definitely a must because of all the stuff they give you and girls' suits lack pockets for phone, wallet, keys etc.

Make sure it can fit a folder.
 
Oh I'm sorry, I was under the interpretation that this is the "Women's Interview Clothing" Thread when I posted a question about "clothing" rather than what I plan on "saying" in my interview....

Wow, you are REALLY rude. You asked for clothing advice and I gave you clothing advice. Wtf?
 
Where have you all bought shells? I've got my suit already (from Ann Taylor) but I'm looking for a blueish silk shell that shows no cleavage (obviously.. but since I'm relatively flat, shirts tend to fall down on me). Any stores you all would recommend?
 
J crew, Banana Republic, Ann Taylor, The Loft, Express, New York and Company.

No joke I looked in every one of those stores. No one seems to be selling shells right now, or the only ones I could find were like sweater shells or way too revealing.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Its a sleeveless shirt that women wear under suit jackets. Basically like a tank top. They are usually silk or cashmere or some time of sweater material.

Are you against a blouse then?

I liked that I could take my jacket off for lunch and felt professional still with my shoulders covered. (not that shells arent okay but if someone was at an uber conservative school)
 
Are you against a blouse then?

I liked that I could take my jacket off for lunch and felt professional still with my shoulders covered. (not that shells arent okay but if someone was at an uber conservative school)

What do you mean by a blouse? Was it short sleeved or long sleeved? Did you get hot?
 
I wore a three quarters sleeve length purple loose bow blouse. It was the only thing that fit without stretching over my bust.

I was fine since it was a lightweight material.
 
Shells are nice if it's hot, or even if the heat is turned up high inside. There was never occasion to take off my suit jacket at any of my interviews. I think either long- or short-sleeve is fine depending on what you can find that fits and looks appropriate.
 
random question regarding interview etiquette (even though it doesn't really relate to clothing)....are we supposed to bring our suitcases with us to interviews? Since we have to check out of hotels early....
 
random question regarding interview etiquette (even though it doesn't really relate to clothing)....are we supposed to bring our suitcases with us to interviews? Since we have to check out of hotels early....

Some ppl brought theirs with them, but I checked mine at the hotel and came back afterwards and got them since the hotel was within walking distance.
 
random question regarding interview etiquette (even though it doesn't really relate to clothing)....are we supposed to bring our suitcases with us to interviews? Since we have to check out of hotels early....

All schools I went to but one had a place to store luggage. At the one that didn't, I carried a backpack throughout my entire interview like a nerd. 😀 Result: outright acceptance. So clearly no one cared. Just call the school beforehand or check their website to find their policy.
 
Would it be odd if I just carried around a padfolio? It seems to be easier to lug around than a purse/tote and I think I could fit my phone one of the pockets. I was thinking of something like this

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Goodhope-Bags-Leatherette-Zip-Around-1-Binder/17240588

I set my professional lookibg large gray purse down on the floor by my chair during my interviews. I carried it in on my left arm so I could still shake hands. Its definitely a must because of all the stuff they give you and girls' suits lack pockets for phone, wallet, keys etc.

Make sure it can fit a folder.
 
Anyone else carried/carrying a medium-large size purse? I am planning on doing this. The purse is simple, black, not too flashy. Similar to the first blag purse in this link: http://www.handbago.com/stylist/little-black-bag-winter-season
I can't just carry a small clutch because I am the kinda girl who likes to carry anything and everything I can possibly need. Makeup for touchups especially if I don't interview till the afternoon, contact solution, glasses in case my contacts are being annoying, wallet, phone, bobby pins, small hair brush, phone, notepad, pens etc.

Would carrying such a purse make me look like the odd one out?Also, I have the fear that when the interview ends, the excitement/nervousness is going to make me forget to pick my purse back up from the floor and take it with me...eeeks!😱
 
Would this shell underneath this jacket be too much? I really like the look, but I know some sites said the shell should be a solid color. Because it's sleeveless, the jacket would never come off, and the bottom would be tucked in.
http://i49.tinypic.com/261hiqb.jpg
 
Is it acceptable to wear the same suit two days in a row? I'm interviewing as an MD/PhD candidate, which means two days of interviews at some schools.

Currently, I only own one suit (pants suit + white shirt). Should I buy another suit, or is it enough to wear a different shirt the next day?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Would this shell underneath this jacket be too much? I really like the look, but I know some sites said the shell should be a solid color. Because it's sleeveless, the jacket would never come off, and the bottom would be tucked in.
http://i49.tinypic.com/261hiqb.jpg

I personally think this looks just fine and would make your outfit standout in a good way. I am thinking of buying something similar that takes away from the drab/boring look of my suit.
 
Is it acceptable to wear the same suit two days in a row? I'm interviewing as an MD/PhD candidate, which means two days of interviews at some schools.

Currently, I only own one suit (pants suit + white shirt). Should I buy another suit, or is it enough to wear a different shirt the next day?

I am sure it is fine! As long as its appropriate looking, don't worry about anything else.
 
1)How do you keep your suit and shirts wrinkle free during the trip? I am horrible at folding clothes and I'm really worried my shirt will look like a rumpled mess.

2)Also, I've noticed that men unbutton their suit jacket when they sit down. Is this also the norm for women?

3) I have two bracelets made from string/thread on my arm and one on my ankle. They all have sentimental value and the only way to remove them is to cut them off which means I can never wear them again. Would it be too unprofessional to wear them?
 
Hi all,

I need to include a photo of myself in my app. I searched SDN, and guys usually just take a neutral pic wearing a dress shirt and tie. What do you guys think women should wear? A suit?
 
1)How do you keep your suit and shirts wrinkle free during the trip? I am horrible at folding clothes and I'm really worried my shirt will look like a rumpled mess.

2)Also, I've noticed that men unbutton their suit jacket when they sit down. Is this also the norm for women?

3) I have two bracelets made from string/thread on my arm and one on my ankle. They all have sentimental value and the only way to remove them is to cut them off which means I can never wear them again. Would it be too unprofessional to wear them?

1. I put my suit & shirt in a garment bag and carried it separately with me on the plane. I laid it on top of the luggage in the overhead compartment, or just folded it once and put it in a corner (and made sure no one squished it with luggage). It stayed wrinkle-free 👍.

2. I don't really think this rule applies to women, I wouldn't worry about it.

3. It depends on what they look like. As long as they're not huge/flashy colors, I think it would be fine.

Hi all,

I need to include a photo of myself in my app. I searched SDN, and guys usually just take a neutral pic wearing a dress shirt and tie. What do you guys think women should wear? A suit?

Just wear a nice top (not a t-shirt or anything too low-cut). Doesn't have to be a button-up shirt or suit.
 
3. Nope depending on what they look like. Your sleeves might hide them or use a watch if youre worried
 
I'm planning on wearing this to an interview in Southern California
http://www1.assets-gap.com/webcontent/0005/067/322/cn5067322.jpg


Am I nuts?

Maybe with an appropriate jacket, but you'd still be pushing it a bit. Def don't wear the dress by itself.

What do you gals think of a woman wearing a tie
something like this : http://images.inmagine.com/img/imagehit/ih015/ih015015.jpg
I love the look and wasnt sure if its OK.
And also- what about wearing a black beret- too casual?

Uh, no. And def don't wear a beret unless your ultimate goal is giving adcoms lulz and getting rejected.
 
Does anyone have a recommendation for comfortable, professional flats that look good yet are comfortable to walk around in all say?
 
Is it acceptable to wear the same suit two days in a row? I'm interviewing as an MD/PhD candidate, which means two days of interviews at some schools.

Currently, I only own one suit (pants suit + white shirt). Should I buy another suit, or is it enough to wear a different shirt the next day?
Whenever I was going on MD/PhD interviews that were 2 days, I wore the same suit both days, but wore a different shell underneath. Sometimes, though, the second day of interview will be business casual or even casual, so you might not end up running into that problem too much.
 
So, what are everyone's thoughts about the following outfit:

-This jacket: http://www.express.com/studio-stretch-one-button-jacket-46263-701/control/page/13/show/3/index.pro
-With a black high waisted pencil skirt that goes below the knees
-& a white button down shirt
-black pumps

Some seem to say that the suit HAS to be the same color/print, but (at least to me) the above outfit still looks very professional. I think the black accents on the blazer makes it really match with the black skirt. The skirt goes about to where the button is so none of the white button up shows in between the blazer and skirt.

Please let me know if having a blazer/skirt that aren't exactly the same color is a huge no-no, or if you think it's ok.

Thank you!
 
I just bought a gray skirt suit and white button down from Banana Republic yesterday. My friend that went with me is a med student at Tulane... he seemed to think the gray would be different enough to stand out - so going with the white shirt was best [and honestly, the only other colors they had in my size were hot pink and purple]. Reading through the past couple of pages though... I'm getting the impression that I might be boring. 😕

Also, anyone else have a pixie cut? I just got mine cut to a pixie from shoulder length a month ago and plan on getting it trimmed in the next few weeks before my interview. Normally my hair looks sort of like this: http://pjensi.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/carey-mulligan-02.jpg -- I'm debating getting it cut shorter though for the interview, but I really like it how it is because I literally towel dry it and sea salt spray it and go.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What are you girls planning to do with your hair? I'm really not good at up-dos, so I was just going to blow-dry and straighten it (it's pretty long, so I think it looks nice down), but is this appropriate?
 
Is there anything wrong with wearing a conservative linen sheath dress (black) with a blue cardigan or black jacket over it? It's very business looking but not a suit - I am really uncomfortable in suits! And does everyone bring a tote?
 
Is there anything wrong with wearing a conservative linen sheath dress (black) with a blue cardigan or black jacket over it? It's very business looking but not a suit - I am really uncomfortable in suits! And does everyone bring a tote?


I vote no on a cardigan.

Wont linen wrinkle really easily?
 
So, what are everyone's thoughts about the following outfit:

-This jacket: http://www.express.com/studio-stretch-one-button-jacket-46263-701/control/page/13/show/3/index.pro
-With a black high waisted pencil skirt that goes below the knees
-& a white button down shirt
-black pumps

Some seem to say that the suit HAS to be the same color/print, but (at least to me) the above outfit still looks very professional. I think the black accents on the blazer makes it really match with the black skirt. The skirt goes about to where the button is so none of the white button up shows in between the blazer and skirt.

Please let me know if having a blazer/skirt that aren't exactly the same color is a huge no-no, or if you think it's ok.

Thank you!

anyone?????