Women's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So, what are everyone's thoughts about the following outfit:

-This jacket: http://www.express.com/studio-stretch-one-button-jacket-46263-701/control/page/13/show/3/index.pro
-With a black high waisted pencil skirt that goes below the knees
-& a white button down shirt
-black pumps

Some seem to say that the suit HAS to be the same color/print, but (at least to me) the above outfit still looks very professional. I think the black accents on the blazer makes it really match with the black skirt. The skirt goes about to where the button is so none of the white button up shows in between the blazer and skirt.

Please let me know if having a blazer/skirt that aren't exactly the same color is a huge no-no, or if you think it's ok.

Thank you!

I think not matching is fine, as long as the black in the blazer and skirt are the same shade.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No it fits me fine. But what's the general opinion on shirts/skirts that aren't the same color (even if they match)?

I'd personally avoid it, for the same reason men don't wear a blazer and non-matching pants; it doesn't fit the definition of business formal which is expected for interviews. That being said, I've seen far worse on the interview trail.
 
I'd personally avoid it, for the same reason men don't wear a blazer and non-matching pants; it doesn't fit the definition of business formal which is expected for interviews. That being said, I've seen far worse on the interview trail.

I believe that earlier in the thread LizzyM said business formal is actually too formal for medical school interviews. Do you think this expectation varies depending on the culture of the school?
 
I believe that earlier in the thread LizzyM said business formal is actually too formal for medical school interviews. Do you think this expectation varies depending on the culture of the school?

Business formal is standard for all professional interviews including medical school. For men, suit/tie, for women, skirt suit with hose or pant suit. This expectation is standard for all medical schools in this country.
 
Business formal is standard for all professional interviews including medical school. For men, suit/tie, for women, skirt suit with hose or pant suit. This expectation is standard for all medical schools in this country.

The conversation, last season, was about the propriety of women wearing slingback shoes or patent leather shoes to a medical school interview. I didn't have a problem with that. A fashionista said that such shoes would not be "business formal". In that regard, I do believe that medical school interviews are less formal that "business formal". that said, I think that drizzt3117 has the score.
 
The conversation, last season, was about the propriety of women wearing slingback shoes or patent leather shoes to a medical school interview. I didn't have a problem with that. A fashionista said that such shoes would not be "business formal". In that regard, I do believe that medical school interviews are less formal that "business formal". that said, I think that drizzt3117 has the score.

Thanks for clarifying LizzyM! This thread is massive and I definitely missed the context of that conversation. 😳
 
Is this suit appropriate? Or is the gray too light?

http://slimages.macys.com/is/image/....tif?$filterxlrg$&wid=1320&hei=1616&fit=fit,1

I'm a little nervous that it doesn't fit the standard black, charcoal, navy "theme" that I've been seeing at interviews thus far. I feel like I might be standing out too much... in a not good way, and let's be honest, there's already enough working against all of us.

There was a girl at my interview that wore a skirt suit in a similar shade of grey. I thought she looked sharp.
 
Hey everyone! So I decided to take a gap year and am not applying to medical school this year but I *am* applying for gap year positions and want to purchase a nice suit now. As a girl who wears a headscarf, I do not wear the dress some people might imagine but if I wear pants, I always wear a top that covers my butt. What do you think looks more professional or even just nicer, a full length skirt or a trench suit? Oh, and for my headscarf, do you think solid colors (it might get drab with everything else) or could a subdued pattern or floral maybe work?

Let me know if you want pictures! 🙂
 
Last edited:
For people worried about wrinkles, you can buy a travel iron from Target for $10. Better use of money and space than a garment bag, IMO.
 
Do most garment bags fit in carry on requirements? I'm worried mine is going to be too big! I haven't been able to measure it yet, but has anyone had one that they wouldn't let you carry on?
 
Can I wear an A-line skirt http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/...=654010&CategoryID=55610&swatchColor=Charcoal or does it have to be pencil http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/...?ID=653999&CategoryID=55610&swatchColor=Black ?

The A-line skirt looks great on me and I feel very comfortable in it. It covers my knees at the right length both when I'm sitting and when I'm standing (a huge problem normally!).

However, I think pencil is more "professional." Problem with pencil is that if it's the right length sitting, it's too long standing (makes you look short because it cuts off your calves) and if it's the right length standing it's too short sitting (don't want anyone to see that!).

Thoughts, ladies?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone! So I decided to take a gap year and am not applying to medical school this year but I *am* applying for gap year positions and want to purchase a nice suit now. As a girl who wears a headscarf, I do not wear the dress some people might imagine but if I wear pants, I always wear a top that covers my butt. What do you think looks more professional or even just nicer, a full length skirt or a trench suit? Oh, and for my headscarf, do you think solid colors (it might get drab with everything else) or could a subdued pattern or floral maybe work?

Let me know if you want pictures! 🙂

I think in your case it would be better to wear the long skirt. Blouses really need to be tucked into the bottoms and shouldn't go past the length of the jacket if you don't tuck it in.
Obviously you should not wear anything that would make you uncomfortable, so in that case skip the pants (with the shirt covering your butt!) and wear the full-length skirt.

I think trench suits are hot, but I've never seen them look classy or professional. Do you have anything in mind that does seem professional?

As for the headscarf, that's really up to you. Just make sure it matches your blouse 🙂 One or the other can be printed, but not both (it'll just be too busy).
 
Can I wear an A-line skirt http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/...=654010&CategoryID=55610&swatchColor=Charcoal or does it have to be pencil http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/...?ID=653999&CategoryID=55610&swatchColor=Black ?

The A-line skirt looks great on me and I feel very comfortable in it. It covers my knees at the right length both when I'm sitting and when I'm standing (a huge problem normally!).

However, I think pencil is more "professional." Problem with pencil is that if it's the right length sitting, it's too long standing (makes you look short because it cuts off your calves) and if it's the right length standing it's too short sitting (don't want anyone to see that!).

Thoughts, ladies?


OMG gurl the first one is soooooo cuuteeeeeeeeeeeee <3
 
Does the bag always have to match the shoes? I really don't want to buy a black leather tote bag for no reason other than interviews. I have a dark grey suit and was thinking either a black nylon bag or a dark blue nylon tote bag. Can anybody help me out? Thanks!!!!
 
also... how do you know if a suit needs tailoring? I got my suit, and it seems to fit me fine, but I'm not sure if there's some rule about how suits must fit that I'm just not aware of. Thanks!
 
Does the bag always have to match the shoes? I really don't want to buy a black leather tote bag for no reason other than interviews. I have a dark grey suit and was thinking either a black nylon bag or a dark blue nylon tote bag. Can anybody help me out? Thanks!!!!

I ended borrowing a black leather purse, but most of the other applicants I saw had casual colored, leather purses that did not match "business attire" in my mind. I doubt adcoms thought anything of it, but I didn't think it looked professional either. :shrug:

also... how do you know if a suit needs tailoring? I got my suit, and it seems to fit me fine, but I'm not sure if there's some rule about how suits must fit that I'm just not aware of. Thanks!

I thought my suit was fine when I tried it on. Then I wore it on my interview day and I noticed the little things that you would only if you moved around and did normal activities in it (ie skirt rode a little higher than I liked while sitting, pants felt a little short with heels, etc). I ended up buying a bigger size in both my skirt and pants and bringing it to a tailor to have it altered down to fit me. I'd suggest just wearing it around the house and do some activities in it like you might on interview day and see how it feels. Or if you have a tailor you trust, just bring it in and ask for an opinion. Or if you're not weirdly proportioned like me, maybe your suit really does fit you fine! :meanie: :laugh:
 
also... how do you know if a suit needs tailoring? I got my suit, and it seems to fit me fine, but I'm not sure if there's some rule about how suits must fit that I'm just not aware of. Thanks!
Or, if you're worried that the "sized" suits fit weirdly, go with suit separates! I have a definite pear-shape, and ended up having to get two different sizes for my jacket and skirt. When I tried on the sized suits, ones with skirts that fit me looked like I was drowning in the jacket and suits with jackets that fit had skirts that were waaaaaaaay too tight to be professional... it looked like I was going for the "naughty secretary" look - something that I wanted to avoid at interviews!
 
I am naturally a dark blonde but I have lightened my hair for a long time now to a lighter blonde. I am currently playing with the idea of dying it dark brown as I have done once before and it turned out fine so its not a big risk or anything. Would this be appropriate to do with the upcoming interview season? The only reason I am concerned is because there were a few schools that required a photo submission with the secondary which I assume would be to match up your application with you when you come to interview and I wouldn't want to cause unnecessary confusion. Or maybe that would just make me more memorable. Either way I would keep it manageable and make it look presentable but do you think that I should stick with the blonde at least until interviews are over or should I just go for it and look like every other brunette interviewing on that day?
 
I am naturally a dark blonde but I have lightened my hair for a long time now to a lighter blonde. I am currently playing with the idea of dying it dark brown as I have done once before and it turned out fine so its not a big risk or anything. Would this be appropriate to do with the upcoming interview season? The only reason I am concerned is because there were a few schools that required a photo submission with the secondary which I assume would be to match up your application with you when you come to interview and I wouldn't want to cause unnecessary confusion. Or maybe that would just make me more memorable. Either way I would keep it manageable and make it look presentable but do you think that I should stick with the blonde at least until interviews are over or should I just go for it and look like every other brunette interviewing on that day?

I am also a natural dark blonde who has dyed my hair lighter forever. I was often the ONLY blonde girl at interviews. I don't think it matters either way what color you dye your hair, as long as it looks good.
 
Can I wear an A-line skirt http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/...=654010&CategoryID=55610&swatchColor=Charcoal or does it have to be pencil http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/...?ID=653999&CategoryID=55610&swatchColor=Black ?

The A-line skirt looks great on me and I feel very comfortable in it. It covers my knees at the right length both when I'm sitting and when I'm standing (a huge problem normally!).

However, I think pencil is more "professional." Problem with pencil is that if it's the right length sitting, it's too long standing (makes you look short because it cuts off your calves) and if it's the right length standing it's too short sitting (don't want anyone to see that!).

Thoughts, ladies?

I have been wearing the exact same A-line skirt. I like it so much better than the pencil skirt. My thought process was that it would be better to wear something that I am comfortable in, so that I am not worrying about my skirt riding up when I sit.
 
I am naturally a dark blonde but I have lightened my hair for a long time now to a lighter blonde. I am currently playing with the idea of dying it dark brown as I have done once before and it turned out fine so its not a big risk or anything. Would this be appropriate to do with the upcoming interview season? The only reason I am concerned is because there were a few schools that required a photo submission with the secondary which I assume would be to match up your application with you when you come to interview and I wouldn't want to cause unnecessary confusion. Or maybe that would just make me more memorable. Either way I would keep it manageable and make it look presentable but do you think that I should stick with the blonde at least until interviews are over or should I just go for it and look like every other brunette interviewing on that day?

I wouldn't worry about confusing people. At my interview yesterday, they gave the interviews my picture, but it was in black and white.
 
I think it'd be fine. I saw some horrendous stuff in residency interviews and the ppl still matched...

Can I wear an A-line skirt http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/...=654010&CategoryID=55610&swatchColor=Charcoal or does it have to be pencil http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/...?ID=653999&CategoryID=55610&swatchColor=Black ?

The A-line skirt looks great on me and I feel very comfortable in it. It covers my knees at the right length both when I'm sitting and when I'm standing (a huge problem normally!).

However, I think pencil is more "professional." Problem with pencil is that if it's the right length sitting, it's too long standing (makes you look short because it cuts off your calves) and if it's the right length standing it's too short sitting (don't want anyone to see that!).

Thoughts, ladies?
 
Hi, I have a question about bags/purses. What exactly do we need to bring with us to an interview? Some people have been talking about laptops, is this necessary? Also, as far as bags go, is a purse better or a zippered folio?

Another question, for shoes, are heels or flats better? I'm planning on wearing pants and I am tall so I was going to wear flats, but I do not want to come across as unprofessional. Thoughts?
 
Hi, I have a question about bags/purses. What exactly do we need to bring with us to an interview? Some people have been talking about laptops, is this necessary? Also, as far as bags go, is a purse better or a zippered folio?

Another question, for shoes, are heels or flats better? I'm planning on wearing pants and I am tall so I was going to wear flats, but I do not want to come across as unprofessional. Thoughts?

why the heck would you need a laptop? no the laptop. just use a small black pleather or leather clutch. you can easily find a simple and classic one at h&m for less than $25. throw your keys, powder, lib balm and maybe a pen with your cell turned off... that's what i would bring..
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I liked having a large purse because of the folders I got. I wanted to carry one thing not many.
 
Hi, I have a question about bags/purses. What exactly do we need to bring with us to an interview? Some people have been talking about laptops, is this necessary? Also, as far as bags go, is a purse better or a zippered folio?

Another question, for shoes, are heels or flats better? I'm planning on wearing pants and I am tall so I was going to wear flats, but I do not want to come across as unprofessional. Thoughts?

I bought a professional-looking Nine West tote from Ross for about $25 that matches my interview suit. There's absolutely no need to bring your laptop. I've been wearing heels to my interviews, but I also bring a pair of flats in my tote that I switch into for the tours, which is definitely useful at the schools with huge campuses.
 
I feel like an idiot for asking this, but I bought a really nice Calvin Klein gray skirt suit at Ross for like $40 (down from $210). I want to wear it with a shirt (maybe black?) but I am hesitant because it has zippers where the pockets are. Is it crazy that I am wondering if that makes it too trendy? My other option is a black suit, but the blazer is a longer length from
Express (also kinda trendy). I'm interviewing this Thursday in Texas...
 
I am naturally a dark blonde but I have lightened my hair for a long time now to a lighter blonde. I am currently playing with the idea of dying it dark brown as I have done once before and it turned out fine so its not a big risk or anything. Would this be appropriate to do with the upcoming interview season? The only reason I am concerned is because there were a few schools that required a photo submission with the secondary which I assume would be to match up your application with you when you come to interview and I wouldn't want to cause unnecessary confusion. Or maybe that would just make me more memorable. Either way I would keep it manageable and make it look presentable but do you think that I should stick with the blonde at least until interviews are over or should I just go for it and look like every other brunette interviewing on that day?

If looking like your photo is an issue, my interviewers are going to love me... I submitted a photo in July with long hair, and I'll be showing up on Saturday with a pixie cut.
 
New plan. People kept making me nervous about wearing a gray suit since it's on the lighter side, so I'll stick with my black pantsuit I think. I have an emerald green silky top with a high cut neck and 3/4 sleeves. What do y'all think of that color?
 
New plan. People kept making me nervous about wearing a gray suit since it's on the lighter side, so I'll stick with my black pantsuit I think. I have an emerald green silky top with a high cut neck and 3/4 sleeves. What do y'all think of that color?

I'd still go with grey but that combo is probably fine!
 
what do you guys think of 3/4 sleeve jackets? are those still professional enough? I look best with that sleeve length lol. and as far as the shells go is it ok to have a skin showing under the jacket as long as there's not cleavage?
 
Grey is just fine for interviews, much better than black.

I agree. You stand out better and it tends to look better with most people's skin tones.

what do you guys think of 3/4 sleeve jackets? are those still professional enough? I look best with that sleeve length lol. and as far as the shells go is it ok to have a skin showing under the jacket as long as there's not cleavage?

Wear a full-length sleeve. Just get it tailored so it hits the right spot on the wrist. And as far as neckline, if you think your grandma would approve, you're probably fine.
 
thanks girl! I was planning on getting my jacket tailored, the sleeves just look too bulky for some reason and this is with most of the jackets I've tried. I'm guessing it's bc I have a large bust so I need a larger size but then everywhere else it looks baggy. so tailoring will have to do
 
thanks girl! I was planning on getting my jacket tailored, the sleeves just look too bulky for some reason and this is with most of the jackets I've tried. I'm guessing it's bc I have a large bust so I need a larger size but then everywhere else it looks baggy. so tailoring will have to do

I am chestally gifted as well, I feel your pain. 😀 Maybe look for a lighter material if the sleeves seem bulky? Tailoring really is your friend here. Most suits are not made for curvy women.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So, I have a couple interviews coming up where there will probably be pretty cold weather - like Minnesota in mid-November. Is a long wool peacoat pretty standard? I am puzzling over whether I can justify owning a "dress coat" that I don't wear every day & mess up. It just seems like a silly way to spend money, but then again, my clothing budget is usually less than $100/year so this whole process feels kind of ridiculous.

Or considering that most of interview days are usually inside, is a coat actually that important?
 
New plan. People kept making me nervous about wearing a gray suit since it's on the lighter side, so I'll stick with my black pantsuit I think. I have an emerald green silky top with a high cut neck and 3/4 sleeves. What do y'all think of that color?

I have a grey suit that's well tailored but is light grey, not the dark grey I keep seeing around. I'm thinking about buying a darker one too. Have people here successfully pulled off the medium/light grey suit? I have yet to see one in an interview (although I have not been around all that much).

I'm reading back posts and it seems like this has already been discussed... so I guess, nevermind, but actually doing it still gives me the willies.
 
Last edited:
Can I wear an A-line skirt http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/...=654010&CategoryID=55610&swatchColor=Charcoal or does it have to be pencil http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/...?ID=653999&CategoryID=55610&swatchColor=Black ?

The A-line skirt looks great on me and I feel very comfortable in it. It covers my knees at the right length both when I'm sitting and when I'm standing (a huge problem normally!).

However, I think pencil is more "professional." Problem with pencil is that if it's the right length sitting, it's too long standing (makes you look short because it cuts off your calves) and if it's the right length standing it's too short sitting (don't want anyone to see that!).

Thoughts, ladies?

Ha. I tried this on yesterday. Then I sat down in the dressing room and it became a big "oh no". I think the pencil works better because it hugs your legs a little more. This one has serious potential to become a wardrobe malfunction at the wrong time.
 
I have a grey suit that's well tailored but is light grey, not the dark grey I keep seeing around. I'm thinking about buying a darker one too. Have people here successfully pulled off the medium/light grey suit? I have yet to see one in an interview (although I have not been around all that much).

I'm reading back posts and it seems like this has already been discussed... so I guess, nevermind, but actually doing it still gives me the willies.

It should be completely fine. I wore a lighter grey suit. Though I had the lightest suit on at my interviews, it wasn't that much of a difference.
 
So, I have a couple interviews coming up where there will probably be pretty cold weather - like Minnesota in mid-November. Is a long wool peacoat pretty standard? I am puzzling over whether I can justify owning a "dress coat" that I don't wear every day & mess up. It just seems like a silly way to spend money, but then again, my clothing budget is usually less than $100/year so this whole process feels kind of ridiculous.

Or considering that most of interview days are usually inside, is a coat actually that important?

if you end up in MN, you'll put that jacket to good use. i think you should get the coat!