Women's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
3/4th sleeve jackets - no

dressy sneakers - no

oxfords - probably not, although there are some pretty oxford style low heels out there at the moment

call me a weird stickler, but in my head, your professional school interview is not the time to make an outlandish fashion statement, maybe use one understated piece of jewelry or a fun but still classy colored/materialed top, or shooz with a pretty detail to make them, but not all 3, and not over the top.

I'm a fan of the tailored/fitted dark gray jacket, rose pink silk blouse, narrow-ish trouser pant, single strand pearl necklace, mid-heel pump look. If its freezing, wear those skin colored half tight things under your pants, they'll cover your feet and keep you sort of warm, and wear a top with some sort of sleeve. I kept my hair down but pinned out of my face with hair-colored pins(no sparkly multicolored rhinestone clips)

thank you fairy godmother
 
So.....3/4 sleeve jackets?

As much as I like them for daily wear, they are not for this occasion.

jewel neckline tops?

Sure. It's a nice departure from the boring and often unflattering and ill fitted button front.

dressy sneakers?
I'm honestly not sure what you're talking about; dressy sneakers are an oxymoron. Even if there were such a thing, it doesnt sound appropriate for an interview.


I find most oxfords terribly unattractive and unflattering but in the right style, with trousers, they can be acceptable.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Another shoutout for eye primer!!

I discovered it a few years ago and even though I'm not too oily, I love cream shadows but hated the inevitable creasing after a few hours. Even the cheap drugstore ones work well.

Eye primer lover number 3 here! I don't wear much lipstick for work bc the mask smears it everywhere, so I overcompensate with eye makeup, and those primers are the best
 
I'm honestly not sure what you're talking about; dressy sneakers are an oxymoron. Even if there were such a thing, it doesnt sound appropriate for an interview.

I find most oxfords terribly unattractive and unflattering but in the right style, with trousers, they can be acceptable.

I have one of those shiny, black fashion sneakers. I've gotten away with wearing them for most formal occasions, but I'll take your advice and try to stay away from them this time. Thank you!
 
I have one of those shiny, black fashion sneakers. I've gotten away with wearing them for most formal occasions, but I'll take your advice and try to stay away from them this time. Thank you!
Yes, I'm not sure that "getting away" with something is what you should be striving for LOL.

Do you happen to have any pictures of these so-called dressy sneakers? I'm still having a hard time imagining them.
 
Either one -- loafers are casual by design (and don't get me started on those "dressy" sneakers).

Unless you're the poster in the foot orthotic, either loafers or "dressy sneakers" would be very, very wrong for a medical school interview.

I had no idea loafers were unacceptable. I always imagined loafers to be the epitome of professionalism. These were the shoes I was looking at: https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...afers&ved=0CA8QhC0oAA&ei=Z8F4VIOoG820ac37gOgN
 
Just wanna offer my two cents, for @hellanutella and other tall girls out there

Eddie Bauer and Long Tall Sally have tall size suits.--LTS doesn't have an actual store in the US (yet), but it offers free shipping and free return for you to try at home. Eddie Bauer have some pretty neat winter wool suits from time to time and they offer life long unconditional return.
CK can have some tall girl friendly professional attire.
Clothing from Reiss fits tall girls too. It's pricier, but you can get them on sale twice a year.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I had no idea loafers were unacceptable. I always imagined loafers to be the epitome of professionalism. These were the shoes I was looking at: https://www.google.com/shopping/product/14531503436118696521?q=aerosole loafers&ved=0CA8QhC0oAA&ei=Z8F4VIOoG820ac37gOgN
No. Loafers were designed to be casual shoes, first in a moccasin style and continue to be considered casual. They may be seen in the office environment, usually on "casual Fridays" but they are not appropriate for a medical school interview (although it would not result in you being rejected). Oxfords are slightly dressier but, as usual, @DokterMom has it right: those pumps are the standard and would be the "epitome of professionalism" for women.
 
Looking for some updated advice from women with curvier figures: where are you guys buying your suits?

I am petite with an hourglass-type figure that, while great for going out on the town, makes a lot of the current professional styles look trashy on me. There's just no way I can wear a pencil skirt, for instance, and I've found that most dress pants cling too much to the rear while falling off my waist and calves.

I've tried most of the department store staples - Nordstrom's, Macy's, etc - and it seems that this season they are only stocking a few suits with pencil skirts or thin-legged pants, or separates that don't seem to match well in fabric and color. I've found one or two more A-line type skirts that work all right, but there simply are no matching jackets. I'd be willing to pay quite a lot for a suit that fits well, but even a search through the Boss line produced more of the same, albeit in much nicer fabrics. I checked Saks and Neiman's online, but their "suits and separates" section showed more pencils, and some truly hideous crop tops and patterns that I'm not sure anyone would wear to an interview outside of a Vegas casino.

So, any suggestions? The caveat here is that I'm interviewing for residency (in surgery, though I didn't see a similar thread to this over in that section so thought I'd post here), and thus far I have yet to see any ladies taking a more unconventional approach with a dress and jacket, or non-matching separates (black skirt with grey jacket, for example). Not sure if this is "allowed" in surgery but I definitely don't want to close any doors by ruffling fashion feathers, even if these styles might look better on me. Help!
 
Looking for some updated advice from women with curvier figures: where are you guys buying your suits?

I am petite with an hourglass-type figure that, while great for going out on the town, makes a lot of the current professional styles look trashy on me. There's just no way I can wear a pencil skirt, for instance, and I've found that most dress pants cling too much to the rear while falling off my waist and calves.

I've tried most of the department store staples - Nordstrom's, Macy's, etc - and it seems that this season they are only stocking a few suits with pencil skirts or thin-legged pants, or separates that don't seem to match well in fabric and color. I've found one or two more A-line type skirts that work all right, but there simply are no matching jackets. I'd be willing to pay quite a lot for a suit that fits well, but even a search through the Boss line produced more of the same, albeit in much nicer fabrics. I checked Saks and Neiman's online, but their "suits and separates" section showed more pencils, and some truly hideous crop tops and patterns that I'm not sure anyone would wear to an interview outside of a Vegas casino.

So, any suggestions? The caveat here is that I'm interviewing for residency (in surgery, though I didn't see a similar thread to this over in that section so thought I'd post here), and thus far I have yet to see any ladies taking a more unconventional approach with a dress and jacket, or non-matching separates (black skirt with grey jacket, for example). Not sure if this is "allowed" in surgery but I definitely don't want to close any doors by ruffling fashion feathers, even if these styles might look better on me. Help!

I'm sorry you're having so much trouble finding a suit! Unfortunately, you'll likely have to get a suit altered to fit you properly. Try sizing up on a suit that almost fits but is a bit snug around your curves. It might be easier to play down curves in a pant suit, but sheath dress/jacket combos are still a great option if they don't hug your curves too tightly.

Here's a guide to finding pants that can be altered properly to your size: http://www.alterationsneeded.com/2009/09/adventures-in-alterations-how-to-choose.html

I'm also quite petite and have only found one pair of trousers that I could wear off the rack. All of my other business casual wear (blazers, pants, etc) required at least minor alterations.

Good luck on your hunt! Also, try Ann Taylor and Banana Republic for petites. They have a decent selection and offer discounts weekly.
 
I'm happy to have things altered, it's just with the degree of alterations most pencil skirts would need, I may as well just have a custom suit tailored (which I have considered, haha, but don't think it would be done in time for the bulk of my interviews)! 😉

Ann Taylor had one set that I liked but unfortunately it wasn't in stores anywhere nearby to try on - I may have to see if they can send it.
 
Sheath dress with matching jacket is your answer. You can tone down your curves somewhat (without going all the way to matronly) while still getting a great fit and a very professional look. I've even seen some with 'coat-length' jackets that are great on curvy petites, or a 'coat dress' if you can find them.

A really good, heavy knit might be the answer. (Check St John, Niemanns, Nordstroms, Saks) And pearls or signature earrings to draw the eyes back to your face 🙄
 
I'm happy to have things altered, it's just with the degree of alterations most pencil skirts would need, I may as well just have a custom suit tailored (which I have considered, haha, but don't think it would be done in time for the bulk of my interviews)! 😉

Ann Taylor had one set that I liked but unfortunately it wasn't in stores anywhere nearby to try on - I may have to see if they can send it.
Ann Taylor also sizes their suit pants in a Modern (lower rise, straighter cut), Signature (traditional cut) and Curvy; the latter might work for you.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just never got around to mastering the art of walking in heels.

If you legitimately can't balance, as in, you don't snowboard, surf, skateboard, rollerblade, practice yoga, dance, etc., then walking on toes may help. Also, walking with feet tracking two parallel lines (closer than hip-width), then one line with practice, can help.

Most importantly, many people feel clumsy in heels, especially high ones. This comes from, IMO, reaching with the front foot rather than pushing off the back foot with each step. It makes one's stride appear (and feel) effortlessly graceful with a bit of practice.

Not to say that a woman must wear high heels, but they're fun and it's also nice to not have to worry about feeling out of place when the situation calls for them.
 
If you legitimately can't balance, as in, you don't snowboard, surf, skateboard, rollerblade, practice yoga, dance, etc., then walking on toes may help. Also, walking with feet tracking two parallel lines (closer than hip-width), then one line with practice, can help.

Most importantly, many people feel clumsy in heels, especially high ones. This comes from, IMO, reaching with the front foot rather than pushing off the back foot with each step. It makes one's stride appear (and feel) effortlessly graceful with a bit of practice.

Not to say that a woman must wear high heels, but they're fun and it's also nice to not have to worry about feeling out of place when the situation calls for them.

Thanks for the advice lol. Maybe I will make it a new year's resolution to learn how to walk in heels, and become a woman......
 
I never switched away from academics. It's just that when I was young, the school wasn't very challenging, so I ended up doing some other things semiprofessionally.

Gotcha, cool. And sorry for assuming it was a career change lol.
 
Another shoutout for eye primer!!

I discovered it a few years ago and even though I'm not too oily, I love cream shadows but hated the inevitable creasing after a few hours. Even the cheap drugstore ones work well.

I used to have that problem too. Eyeliner always smudges and the eyeshadow seems to be gone after a while and only oily eye lid left behind.

Finally I found that if I apply loose powder all over my face before mascara but after all the other make up was applied, it would keep everything fixed and dry for the entire day. Sometime when it's hot or when I sweat a lot (such as during an interview day), I reapply some powder in mid day and retouch the mascara. Good loose powder I've used were: bare-essential and Stila.
 
RE walking in heels: became a pro at it after becoming a semi-professional ballroom dancer. Ginger did everything Fred did, but backwards and in heels. Admittedly, I'm still more comfortable walking backwards in heels, but I figured that would lead to a few odd looks on the tour 😵 Would highly recommend it for practice walking 🙂
 
RE walking in heels: became a pro at it after becoming a semi-professional ballroom dancer. Ginger did everything Fred did, but backwards and in heels. Admittedly, I'm still more comfortable walking backwards in heels, but I figured that would lead to a few odd looks on the tour 😵 Would highly recommend it for practice walking 🙂

I can't even walk in heels, and you're doing ballroom dancing in them. Geez.

Lol thanks for the advice!
 
Hello! I have an upcoming interview in a snowy state, and I was wondering if I should switch to wearing something like this (without the flaps on top) instead of my normal pumps. My pants should cover most of the shoe. However, I've learned that there are skywalks connecting most of the buildings at the school, so I'm wondering if I could get away with just the pumps.

If I attend school in an area with snow, would it be worthwhile to keep these shoes regardless--would I need something like this in the next four years?

Thanks!
 
Hello! I have an upcoming interview in a snowy state, and I was wondering if I should switch to wearing something like this (without the flaps on top) instead of my normal pumps. My pants should cover most of the shoe. However, I've learned that there are skywalks connecting most of the buildings at the school, so I'm wondering if I could get away with just the pumps.

If I attend school in an area with snow, would it be worthwhile to keep these shoes regardless--would I need something like this in the next four years?

Thanks!
I personally love little booties like those although I'm not sure they offer any more protection against the elements than a regular pair of pumps. Therefore I would suggest that you wear regular pumps with your interview suit.

However these sorts of things are quite cute with tights and a dress for fall. Therefore, far be it from me to try to convince anyone to not buy another pair of shoes LOL as I think you probably would get some wear out of these during autumn.They're not really snowboots per se but will keep your feet warmer as the weather cools down.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Update on my clothing dilemma: I made it out to a new Ann Taylor today (@Winged Scapula - the Scottsdale one has a much nicer selection than back home!) and not only found the skirt suit I'd been eyeing, but the pant cuts actually work on me too. Thanks everyone for the help!
So glad to hear it. I used to think they all stocked the same things but my Aunt likes to shop here as well, feeling like we have better stuff, more color, etc than the Chicago stores.

There are 3 ATs in Scottsdale - which one did you go to?

(sorry about the rain today 🙁 )
 
So glad to hear it. I used to think they all stocked the same things but my Aunt likes to shop here as well, feeling like we have better stuff, more color, etc than the Chicago stores.

There are 3 ATs in Scottsdale - which one did you go to?

(sorry about the rain today 🙁 )

Fashion Square - after my massage nearby. 😉 At least the rain held off long enough for me to see the botanical gardens!
 
I personally love little booties like those although I'm not sure they offer any more protection against the elements than a regular pair of pumps. Therefore I would suggest that you wear regular pumps with your interview suit.

However these sorts of things are quite cute with tights and a dress for fall. Therefore, far be it from me to try to convince anyone to not buy another pair of shoes LOL as I think you probably would get some wear out of these during autumn.They're not really snowboots per se but will keep your feet warmer as the weather cools down.
Thank you very much for the suggestions! I'll wear the pumps for the interview--these were not comfortable at all.
 
Thank you very much for the suggestions! I'll wear the pumps for the interview--these were not comfortable at all.
Oh that's too bad that they weren't comfortable. I have a pair that are very cute and was comfortable in the store but any longer than an hour in them and my feet feel like they're burning and walking on sand paper which surprised me since the heel isn't all that high.