-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Women's Interview Clothing #3!
Started by Geekchick921
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
No sheers, lace, or embellishments.Is it okay if the blouse is cap-sleeved and a little bit sheer, so that I have to wear a cami or tank top underneath, or should we completely avoid any level of transparency?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
There is no need for a portfolio.Hey guys, really appreciate you all.
My question is, what's the deal with the portfolio people keep mentioning? Is a small purse okay or do I have a reason for keeping some papers crisp? Trying to minimize expenses, obvs...
Does a really subtle pattern count as "embellishment"? Or are patterned shells a big no-no?No sheers, lace, or embellishments.
Express yourself with the quality, texture and color of your blouse.Does a really subtle pattern count as "embellishment"? Or are patterned shells a big no-no?
A pattern so subtle as to pass as texture would be acceptable, though.
Do I need to wear pantyhose to an August interview in Southern California?
I believe the consensus is, if you are wearing a skirt or dress, always wear pantyhose. Always.
Question: I buy my suits in separates due to challenges from being a specific type of athlete and tailored individually. If I have a navy suit jacket, and I want to wear Grey slacks... Is this too unprofessional ? Typically I stick with same color suits, but I'm not sure how this will go over for interviews..
This is too casual for a high stakes interview.Question: I buy my suits in separates due to challenges from being a specific type of athlete and tailored individually. If I have a navy suit jacket, and I want to wear Grey slacks... Is this too unprofessional ? Typically I stick with same color suits, but I'm not sure how this will go over for interviews..
The same color and type of fabric is best.
Apologies if this has been asked already!
So I am under 5' tall, but I really do not enjoy wearing heels and find them very uncomfortable, especially since I have 2 herniated lumbar discs 😕. How essential would it be for me to avoid flats? My first interview is the beginning of October, so I have some time to train myself if need be. Just would like to avoid the "baby giraffe stumbling around" situation 😵
So I am under 5' tall, but I really do not enjoy wearing heels and find them very uncomfortable, especially since I have 2 herniated lumbar discs 😕. How essential would it be for me to avoid flats? My first interview is the beginning of October, so I have some time to train myself if need be. Just would like to avoid the "baby giraffe stumbling around" situation 😵
It depends on if you can tolerate them and how serious you take your interviews to be. Nothing is really essential during an interview but you, but nothing is trivial neither in such a high stake event. Everything about you will be judged and analyzed by human beings who each hold you to different standards of professionalism. The motto is really better safe then sorry. If you are truly hurting, then obviously don't.Apologies if this has been asked already!
So I am under 5' tall, but I really do not enjoy wearing heels and find them very uncomfortable, especially since I have 2 herniated lumbar discs 😕. How essential would it be for me to avoid flats? My first interview is the beginning of October, so I have some time to train myself if need be. Just would like to avoid the "baby giraffe stumbling around" situation 😵
It depends on if you can tolerate them and how serious you take your interviews to be. Nothing is really essential during an interview but you, but nothing is trivial neither in such a high stake event. Everything about you will be judged and analyzed by human beings who each hold you to different standards of professionalism. The motto is really better safe then sorry. If you are truly hurting, then obviously don't.
I suppose the search is on then for some training heels! 😛
I suppose the search is on then for some training heels! 😛
Allegedly cole haan makes relatively comfortable heels.
You want something with a little (internal) platform so the angle your foot is at isn't so large
I wore just really boring black leather kitten heels from BR post car accident during interviews. I had one foot on air boots and mostly requiring crutches. It was surprisingly not that bad on the foot with the heel. The walking section of most interviews are minimal. When on the tour only students will be around. Since their opinions don't affect the outcome, I just pull out ballet flats from my bag. You can take off the heels when you go from one interviewer to another and just put them on outside their office at somewhere discrete.
Even an inch is fine.Apologies if this has been asked already!
So I am under 5' tall, but I really do not enjoy wearing heels and find them very uncomfortable, especially since I have 2 herniated lumbar discs 😕. How essential would it be for me to avoid flats? My first interview is the beginning of October, so I have some time to train myself if need be. Just would like to avoid the "baby giraffe stumbling around" situation 😵
You need to be able to move with confidence.
Flats would be fine but for the fact that most of them are intended to be casual wear.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Even an inch is fine.
You need to be able to move with confidence.
Flats would be fine but for the fact that most of them are intended to be casual wear.
And that she's under 5' tall...
Sorry - Time for 'training heels'
instead of wearing a black, navy, or dark charcoal colored suit with a nice, colored blouse, would wearing a light grey or heather grey suit with a white blouse be acceptable?
Light suit fabric colors read casual.instead of wearing a black, navy, or dark charcoal colored suit with a nice, colored blouse, would wearing a light grey or heather grey suit with a white blouse be acceptable?
You don't want to give the impression that this is no big deal
Not an interview question but my first day of orientation is business professional. Does that mean I must wear heels? Or are flats OK? I have these in black. http://www.thefryecompany.com/Carso...8Muc8DANbi6uEbKhru8kmxevVsZfQM2lLwaAi-R8P8HAQ
I feel like because I have to ask the answer is probably go with heels. :/
I feel like because I have to ask the answer is probably go with heels. :/
This usually means they plan to take photos.Not an interview question but my first day of orientation is business professional. Does that mean I must wear heels? Or are flats OK? I have these in black. http://www.thefryecompany.com/Carso...8Muc8DANbi6uEbKhru8kmxevVsZfQM2lLwaAi-R8P8HAQ
I feel like because I have to ask the answer is probably go with heels. :/
Thus, the shoes are less important.
this is from the AAMC website: https://www.aamc.org/students/aspiring/basics/284824/interview10.html
reading their experts advice was the reason why I thought a light grey suit might work
reading their experts advice was the reason why I thought a light grey suit might work
Thanks very much. I'll wear the flats for my commute and then change. 🙂
I'm not an expert but I think the difference is that light gray is too casual. The examples given in the link are more formal like brown.this is from the AAMC website: https://www.aamc.org/students/aspiring/basics/284824/interview10.html
reading their experts advice was the reason why I thought a light grey suit might work
Light charcoal is still dark!this is from the AAMC website: https://www.aamc.org/students/aspiring/basics/284824/interview10.html
reading their experts advice was the reason why I thought a light grey suit might work
Are folded sleeves a no no? Is this too stylish?
Are folded sleeves a no no? Is this too stylish?
![]()
Yes, yes, plz don't wear this
You'll note that none of the "experts" say a light grey suit works. They mention grey and light charcoal (which is not light grey).this is from the AAMC website: https://www.aamc.org/students/aspiring/basics/284824/interview10.html
reading their experts advice was the reason why I thought a light grey suit might work
1) no 3/4 sleevesAre folded sleeves a no no? Is this too stylish?
![]()
2) no "folded" or cuffed sleeves
3) no 4 gore skirt
4) no peplum or pleats on the jacket
5) no open toe shoes
Thanks.. I honestly have no idea... Is this a 4 gore skirt? Everything else okay?
Yes, yes, plz don't wear this
1) no 3/4 sleeves
2) no "folded" or cuffed sleeves
3) no 4 gore skirt
4) no peplum or pleats on the jacket
5) no open toe shoes
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I can't tell from the picture whether it's gored or not.Thanks.. I honestly have no idea... Is this a 4 gore skirt? Everything else okay?
![]()
Traditionally we would recommend a straight skirt rather than A line but I'm not too fussed about a slight flare.
Please don't wear a boring white blouse as shown in the picture
I can't tell from the picture whether it's gored or not.
Traditionally we would recommend a straight skirt rather than A line but I'm not too fussed about a slight flare.
Please don't wear a boring white blouse as shown in the picture
Found the full pictures. I'm guessing this is what you would call a jacket that is pleplum/pleated and also this is a 4 gored skirt correct? I had to look up those words 🙁 urghh
Edit: OK? skirt too short when I sit down??
http://www.dillards.com/product/Cal...acetCache=pageSize=100&beginIndex=0&orderBy=1
Last edited:
sigh that's confusing...instead i'm just gonna buy a navy suit to be safeYou'll note that none of the "experts" say a light grey suit works. They mention grey and light charcoal (which is not light grey).
Any opinions on long lapels like these? (Note: NOT asking about this particular jacket/zip pockets. No.)
I have a long frame and I think they're smashing.
P.S. Sorry for the poor quality upload. Also viewable here: http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/...jacket?ID=2161511&CategoryID=120&RVI=Browse_1
I have a long frame and I think they're smashing.
P.S. Sorry for the poor quality upload. Also viewable here: http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/...jacket?ID=2161511&CategoryID=120&RVI=Browse_1
Any opinions on long lapels like these? (Note: NOT asking about this particular jacket/zip pockets. No.)
View attachment 194920
I have a long frame and I think they're smashing.
P.S. Sorry for the poor quality upload. Also viewable here: http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/...jacket?ID=2161511&CategoryID=120&RVI=Browse_1
I think it looks great, but also potentially too trendy. This is one of the few instances that I'd sacrifice looking great for looking "appropriate".
Any opinions on long lapels like these? (Note: NOT asking about this particular jacket/zip pockets. No.)
View attachment 194920
I have a long frame and I think they're smashing.
P.S. Sorry for the poor quality upload. Also viewable here: http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/...jacket?ID=2161511&CategoryID=120&RVI=Browse_1
Too tuxedo jacketish. Only appropriate over a dress on a night out, or if you're bringing me a drink at a bar.
Can I get a quick opinion on this outfit?
I recently purchased this dress: http://www.dillards.com/product/Antonio-Melani-Quince-ShadowStripe-Belted-Dress_301_-1_301_502139751?categoryId=-10032&di=03223896_zi_black&facetCache=pageSize=100&beginIndex=0&orderBy=1
With this jacket over it: http://www.dillards.com/product/_301_-1_301_502139724?categoryId=-10041
And these earrings for a touch of color: http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/kendra-...tualcategoryid=0&fashionColor=&resultback=600
I have very blue eyes and red hair, and wanted to avoid too much black. What do you think?
I have inserted pictures for clarity:
I recently purchased this dress: http://www.dillards.com/product/Antonio-Melani-Quince-ShadowStripe-Belted-Dress_301_-1_301_502139751?categoryId=-10032&di=03223896_zi_black&facetCache=pageSize=100&beginIndex=0&orderBy=1
With this jacket over it: http://www.dillards.com/product/_301_-1_301_502139724?categoryId=-10041
And these earrings for a touch of color: http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/kendra-...tualcategoryid=0&fashionColor=&resultback=600
I have very blue eyes and red hair, and wanted to avoid too much black. What do you think?
I have inserted pictures for clarity:
Last edited:
Unbutton jacket when you sit down or no?
for sure if there's only one button; if there are 2, I believe it is acceptable to unbutton both or just the bottom one.Unbutton jacket when you sit down or no?
Can I get a quick opinion on this outfit?
I recently purchased this dress: http://www.dillards.com/product/Antonio-Melani-Quince-ShadowStripe-Belted-Dress_301_-1_301_502139751?categoryId=-10032&di=03223896_zi_black&facetCache=pageSize=100&beginIndex=0&orderBy=1
With this jacket over it: http://www.dillards.com/product/_301_-1_301_502139724?categoryId=-10041
And these earrings for a touch of color: http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/kendra-...tualcategoryid=0&fashionColor=&resultback=600
I have very blue eyes and red hair, and wanted to avoid too much black. What do you think?
I have inserted pictures for clarity:
![]()
![]()
![]()
I like the 'dress and jacket' look very much, but have a few qualms about this particular set -- The 'shadow stripe' looks like a pinstripe in the photos. If it's really black on black, and just a texture difference, then I'm OK with it, but not if it's grey on black. The wide belt is looking a bit 'cheap' (sorry). Something narrow and discrete would work. Also, the fabric sounds stretchy and does not look (from the pictures, so I could be dead wrong) expensive. Make SURE the dress is not tight enough that you need the stretch, and that the fabric appears high-quality in person. Don't buy this one without seeing it in person first.
The earrings are wrong. Too big, too bright, and dangly. Try something like this instead:
https://wanelo.com/p/27188004/ben-amun-cobalt-blue-button-earrings-clip-style-jewelry
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VTG-SET-Nec...IS-lazuli-Agate-gold-tone-beads-/151750842883
Can I wear a mint blouse? It's kind of my power color 😉Please don't wear a boring white blouse as shown in the picture
Can I wear a mint blouse? It's kind of my power color 😉
Yes - absolutely. A color that makes you feel good is exactly what you want to wear.
Absolutely! As noted above anything that makes you feel beautiful, powerful and strong is the best choice for you. I see no problem wearing a mint colored blouse.Can I wear a mint blouse? It's kind of my power color 😉
I have found from trial and error that anything that hits above the middle of my knee when standing becomes too short when sitting down.
Is it ok to carry suits in suitcase for flights?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is it ok to carry suits in suitcase for flights?
Take your suit as carry on in a suit bag, your suit going missing the night before an interview is not something you want to deal with.
But every year it happens.Take your suit as carry on in a suit bag, your suit going missing the night before an interview is not something you want to deal with.
If you insist on packing your suit in the suitcase or just forget at least please wear something presentable on the plane. If your luggage is lost or delayed, wearing something like a business casual trouser and blouse on the plane will save the day.
Thanks for the suggestions! I'll carry it with me to be safe 🙂
Is it a bad idea to wear my suit on the plane? I was thinking that way it won't get wrinkled. Otherwise how do people get their suits back into shape after pulling them out of tiny carry-ons?But every year it happens.
If you insist on packing your suit in the suitcase or just forget at least please wear something presentable on the plane. If your luggage is lost or delayed, wearing something like a business casual trouser and blouse on the plane will save the day.
It will get wrinkled and possibly spilled on if you wear it on the plane. There are suit bags you can fold up and put in your carry-on. It should keep your suit looking fine. You can hang it in the bathroom and run the shower to steam it, too.Is it a bad idea to wear my suit on the plane? I was thinking that way it won't get wrinkled. Otherwise how do people get their suits back into shape after pulling them out of tiny carry-ons?