Women's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

I'm so excited/nervous to go interview outfit shopping. I kinda told myself that I didn't want to jinx it and buy something before I had a reason, so this is a reward. Questions:

1) I have a small second piercing in one of my ears. It's a lucky little earring, and I'd hate to remove it. Ok to leave in?
2) Rings ok? I have an engagement ring on my left hand and I wear two smaller rings on my right. I'm darker skinned, so I have pretty substantial tan-lines from them. Engagement ring shows stability and someone out there likes me, but does it subconsciously influence the interviewer to think of me as less serious or more likely to be on a parenthood track?
3) What fabric should women's shoes be? Patent leather/suede/regular leather? Are wedges ok? Ankle straps? Is it frowned upon to wear flats for the tour portion and change into heels for the interview portion?
4) When is a bag considered too big? I have on that's this size, and can hold anything. I just don't want to look high maintenance (as read on this thread).
5) Do bags and shoes need to match?
6) Are interesting studs (cool design) alright or very, very small gold hoops?
7) Neckline of blouses--obviously no cleavage, but any other easy-to-remember rules?
8) I see a lot of people saying "no buttons" on blouses, but it seems like the choice is either sleeveless w/out buttons or sleeved w/ buttons. Which is the safest bet?

Sorry if this seems super basic or redundant--neither of my parents work in conservative environments so I just want to make sure there's not something super obvious I'm overlooking.
 
I'm so excited/nervous to go interview outfit shopping. I kinda told myself that I didn't want to jinx it and buy something before I had a reason, so this is a reward. Questions:

1) I have a small second piercing in one of my ears. It's a lucky little earring, and I'd hate to remove it. Ok to leave in?
2) Rings ok? I have an engagement ring on my left hand and I wear two smaller rings on my right. I'm darker skinned, so I have pretty substantial tan-lines from them. Engagement ring shows stability and someone out there likes me, but does it subconsciously influence the interviewer to think of me as less serious or more likely to be on a parenthood track?
3) What fabric should women's shoes be? Patent leather/suede/regular leather? Are wedges ok? Ankle straps? Is it frowned upon to wear flats for the tour portion and change into heels for the interview portion?
4) When is a bag considered too big? I have on that's this size, and can hold anything. I just don't want to look high maintenance (as read on this thread).
5) Do bags and shoes need to match?
6) Are interesting studs (cool design) alright or very, very small gold hoops?
7) Neckline of blouses--obviously no cleavage, but any other easy-to-remember rules?
8) I see a lot of people saying "no buttons" on blouses, but it seems like the choice is either sleeveless w/out buttons or sleeved w/ buttons. Which is the safest bet?

Sorry if this seems super basic or redundant--neither of my parents work in conservative environments so I just want to make sure there's not something super obvious I'm overlooking.
I really hope engagement and wedding rings are OK.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1) I have a small second piercing in one of my ears. It's a lucky little earring, and I'd hate to remove it. Ok to leave in?

Remove it. One plain set of studs nothing else.

2) Rings ok? I have an engagement ring on my left hand and I wear two smaller rings on my right. I'm darker skinned, so I have pretty substantial tan-lines from them. Engagement ring shows stability and someone out there likes me, but does it subconsciously influence the interviewer to think of me as less serious or more likely to be on a parenthood track?

Engagement and wedding band ok but wouldn't wear any other rings. Distracting and there's the potential to fiddle with them during the interview.


3) What fabric should women's shoes be? Patent leather/suede/regular leather? Are wedges ok? Ankle straps? Is it frowned upon to wear flats for the tour portion and change into heels for the interview portion?

Good quality leather or patent leather. Wedges are too casual for an interview. Ankle straps depends on the shoe and really only with a pant suit. If you must you can change into flats for the tour but your heels should be comfortable enough to walk in for the day.

4) When is a bag considered too big? I have on that's this size, and can hold anything. I just don't want to look high maintenance (as read on this thread).

Looks too big based on that photo

5) Do bags and shoes need to match?

Bags and shoes should be of the same colour

6) Are interesting studs (cool design) alright or very, very small gold hoops?

No plain studs.

7) Neckline of blouses--obviously no cleavage, but any other easy-to-remember rules?

A plain shell in any non neon colour. No lace, no embellishments, no sheer fabric.

8) I see a lot of people saying "no buttons" on blouses, but it seems like the choice is either sleeveless w/out buttons or sleeved w/ buttons. Which is the safest bet?

You shouldn't be removing your suit jacket during your interview so sleeved or sleeveless is not a major issue. I would personally go for a shell top over a blouse with buttons
 
If I'm trying to minimize my bust area what blouse fabrics/cuts/necklines should I look for (or conversely, stay away from)? I plan to wear a shell with my suit as shirts with buttons are just out of the question, and especially because I'm so short I don't want to draw too much attention!
 
I'm so excited/nervous to go interview outfit shopping. I kinda told myself that I didn't want to jinx it and buy something before I had a reason, so this is a reward. Questions:

1) I have a small second piercing in one of my ears. It's a lucky little earring, and I'd hate to remove it. Ok to leave in?

If your hair covers it, its fine to leave it in, otherwise I'd leave it at home.

2) Rings ok? I have an engagement ring on my left hand and I wear two smaller rings on my right. I'm darker skinned, so I have pretty substantial tan-lines from them. Engagement ring shows stability and someone out there likes me, but does it subconsciously influence the interviewer to think of me as less serious or more likely to be on a parenthood track?

Of course engagement/wedding rings are fine. The others are not. Frankly, it sounds like too many rings for any sort of work related attire especially in a hospital where they are likely to catch on things, get in the way of washing etc.

3) What fabric should women's shoes be? Patent leather/suede/regular leather? Are wedges ok? Ankle straps? Is it frowned upon to wear flats for the tour portion and change into heels for the interview portion?

Leather. No patent. No suede. No fabric. Wedges are too casual. Ankle straps too sexy. You could wear flats...sigh...but why on earth are you wearing shoes you cannot walk in at least a little bit? The tours aren't that long. But if you must change into flats...

4) When is a bag considered too big? I have on that's this size, and can hold anything. I just don't want to look high maintenance (as read on this thread).

It looks fine to me. My rule is if you could fit a beach towel or change of clothes, its too big. It shouldn't be more than 12" in greatest length (i.e., long enough to fit a small binder).

5) Do bags and shoes need to match?

They should; at least in color, if not color and material.

6) Are interesting studs (cool design) alright or very, very small gold hoops?

Studs like the ones I posted above (i.e., knots or the like) are fine, small hoops only if they do not dangle below your ear lobe.

7) Neckline of blouses--obviously no cleavage, but any other easy-to-remember rules?
8) I see a lot of people saying "no buttons" on blouses, but it seems like the choice is either sleeveless w/out buttons or sleeved w/ buttons. Which is the safest bet?

There are plenty of blouses out there without buttons and with sleeves. Here's one for example: http://www.anntaylor.com/georgette-...Explode=false&catid=cata000010&priceSort=DESC Here's another: http://www.anntaylor.com/crepe-v-ne...Explode=false&catid=cata000010&priceSort=DESC

The issue with buttons is that they are not always flattering, can pop off at inopportune moments and look too much like a uniform IMHO.
 
If I'm trying to minimize my bust area what blouse fabrics/cuts/necklines should I look for (or conversely, stay away from)? I plan to wear a shell with my suit as shirts with buttons are just out of the question, and especially because I'm so short I don't want to draw too much attention!
For women with larger busts, you will be flattered most with a surplice (what is now called a wrap) or cowl neckline; anything draped is often nice but be careful that its not too much fabric, adding heft to the bustline. A V neck is nice as well but it can be tricky and reveal more than you like to people taller than you or if you bend over. In general, you want to avoid button fronts (as you've noted), clingy knits, short/cropped tops or high armholes. You'll probably find that a silk or crepe blouse will drape the nicest although some washed cottons can be quite soft.
 
I have two job interview outfits that I've had for a couple years. The first is a matched black suit with a red blouse. This would ordinarily by my pick for a medical school interview, but I've gained a few pounds since I bought it and it doesn't quite fit as well as it used to. However, I don't think I have enough personal objectively to tell if it still looks good or not. My second outfit is black slacks with a black shell and a black and white patterned suit jacket that resembles houndstooth. It's a little less formal, but I think it fits better than the black suit. Which one should I wear to my interview?

The outfits:
 
I have two job interview outfits that I've had for a couple years. The first is a matched black suit with a red blouse. This would ordinarily by my pick for a medical school interview, but I've gained a few pounds since I bought it and it doesn't quite fit as well as it used to. However, I don't think I have enough personal objectively to tell if it still looks good or not. My second outfit is black slacks with a black shell and a black and white patterned suit jacket that resembles houndstooth. It's a little less formal, but I think it fits better than the black suit. Which one should I wear to my interview?

The outfits:

Without even looking at the pictures, don't wear the second outfit. The jacket and pants should be the same color and fabric for a medical school interview. If you are worried about it not fitting, buy a larger jacket. It should be able to button.
 
I have two job interview outfits that I've had for a couple years. The first is a matched black suit with a red blouse. This would ordinarily by my pick for a medical school interview, but I've gained a few pounds since I bought it and it doesn't quite fit as well as it used to. However, I don't think I have enough personal objectively to tell if it still looks good or not. My second outfit is black slacks with a black shell and a black and white patterned suit jacket that resembles houndstooth. It's a little less formal, but I think it fits better than the black suit. Which one should I wear to my interview?

The outfits:


I'm afraid there's too much gap in the middle when the jacket is open, and it doesn't look like they'll close...
What about a simple sheath dress and longer matching jacket? A very appropriate and flattering look for when you're a little larger than you'd like to be. A dress and matching jacket also projects a lot of confidence that pantsuits sometimes don't.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm afraid there's too much gap in the middle when the jacket is open, and it doesn't look like they'll close...
What about a simple sheath dress and longer matching jacket? A very appropriate and flattering look for when you're a little larger than you'd like to be. A dress and matching jacket also projects a lot of confidence that pantsuits sometimes don't.

Would my black and white jacket be appropriate to pair with a black sheath dress?
 
The trouble is the width of the gap down the center. You need to get a jacket that can button comfortably. But to answer your specific question, the best look is a jacket in the same fabric as the dress.

This one -- imagine it in navy or black, though even this camel can work -- would be fabulous.

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/Albert-Nipon-Jacket-Belted-Sheath-Dress-Set/prod148550013/p.prod
I saw a dress today that was sort of like this:
102411410_151.jpg

only it goes a bit further down and mostly covers the knees. With the black trim at the bottom, would it be appropriate to match with a black jacket? It did not come with one, so the fabric would not match exactly, but it also would not directly overlay anywhere so that may not matter as much.

I understand that it deviates a bit from some of the 'dress/jacket' rules outlined in here, but...I do not like sheath/pencil skirts, as I think they require a certain walking gait that I have not yet developed, and I don't like the tucked-waist look of skirt suits (for some reason skirts look weird to me with a shirt tucked in them). This seems like a reasonable compromise to me of being feminine without being too sexy or matronly - most skirt suits/sheath dresses end up in one of those two categories on me. It's something I would actually feel good in, rather than on display or playing dress-up as my grandmother! :laugh:

Note: this would not be for my med school interviews, but I am trying to branch out in general instead of always going with the bare-minimum, least-feminine look possible. I have other places in my life where I have to dress formally, and you guys are basically the only good source of fashion advice I've found!
 
Last edited:
The trouble is the width of the gap down the center. You need to get a jacket that can button comfortably. But to answer your specific question, the best look is a jacket in the same fabric as the dress.

This one -- imagine it in navy or black, though even this camel can work -- would be fabulous.

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/Albert-Nipon-Jacket-Belted-Sheath-Dress-Set/prod148550013/p.prod
Oh my fainting goats, that is gorgeous. Can the whole outfit stand as is? Can it really? Done!!

Edit: Well, of course it's sold out. Of course. But theoretically? Because I will totally will a new dress like that into being with the power of my mind. Nobody panic.
 
Oh my fainting goats, that is gorgeous. Can the whole outfit stand as is? Can it really? Done!!

Edit: Well, of course it's sold out. Of course. But theoretically? Because I will totally will a new dress like that into being with the power of my mind. Nobody panic.

Isn't it? Just isn't it? Of course, it's for future plastic surgeons and derms only... (edit: and breast surgeons) 😉 But yeah, some dresses are worth overspending on. Again, since we're dreaming, I say buy one in navy and one in burgundy too, but drop the platform on the shoe to a 3 1/2" heel with a matching Kate Spade bag.

Ladies, If this is a look you like (and what's not to like?) head for Neiman's Outlet, Off Fifth, Nordstrom's Rack. Or maybe go straight to a tailor and just have the darned thing made.

Note: this would not be for my med school interviews, but I am trying to branch out in general instead of always going with the bare-minimum, least-feminine look possible. I have other places in my life where I have to dress formally, and you guys are basically the only good source of fashion advice I've found

@mehc012 - I like that dress for 'business non-interview' wear, and think it could be a very versatile addition. It could work with a white or black and white jacket for summer, and black for winter. Even red.
 
Last edited:
I just love the length! Business jackets that fall to the hip (or worse: waist) are terrible on almost everybody. That look has style while being timeless. Total investment piece. I salute you. Despite your tardiness in sharing it. Aghhhh
 
The trouble is the width of the gap down the center. You need to get a jacket that can button comfortably. But to answer your specific question, the best look is a jacket in the same fabric as the dress.

This one -- imagine it in navy or black, though even this camel can work -- would be fabulous.

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/Albert-Nipon-Jacket-Belted-Sheath-Dress-Set/prod148550013/p.prod
....where has this been all my life?!!! I'm in love... The fit is so much better than suits
Too bad it's sold out/not available where I live.
 
In keeping with the dress discussion, would something like this, but with full length sleeves be formal enough? I like the navy color (obviously not the brightly colored shoes though) though the skirt will definitely be longer on me. I wonder if a dress might be more flattering.



8068034_fpx.tif
This looks great.
 
So with wine/burgundy/cordovan shoes and a navy suit, is a bag in that color expected also, or are other colors also permissible? Out of black, camel, mocha, grey, and beige, as examples of neutral colors, which would be acceptable? Any others?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I realize these shoes are a bit strange looking, but they're the only pumps I've found that will stay on my feet, thanks to the ankle strap. I'm wearing a pantsuit so they look like normal pumps when I'm standing, but the ankle detail may peek out a little bit when I'm sitting -- would that be a deal breaker?
5YcWlOV.png
 
So what is the consensus on dress suits? Okay? Not professional enough? Are pant suits better?

The dress suits posted in the last few posts -- dress with matching jacket (same fabric) -- are very professional and very appropriate. A 'regular' dress with a jacket that coordinates (different fabric) is nice for everyday business wear, but not professional enough for your interview.

I realize these shoes are a bit strange looking, but they're the only pumps I've found that will stay on my feet, thanks to the ankle strap. I'm wearing a pantsuit so they look like normal pumps when I'm standing, but the ankle detail may peek out a little bit when I'm sitting -- would that be a deal breaker?
5YcWlOV.png

Since you're wearing pants, I'd give them a pass. You know there are little pads and inserts you can try that help your shoes stay on.
 
Since you're wearing pants, I'd give them a pass. You know there are little pads and inserts you can try that help your shoes stay on.

Thank you! I've tried some pads and inserts, but having very narrow heels that don't project out much from my foot makes most of them ineffective. I'll see if I can find some that work, though! It'd be nice to be able to wear regular pumps.
 
The dress suits posted in the last few posts -- dress with matching jacket (same fabric) -- are very professional and very appropriate. A 'regular' dress with a jacket that coordinates (different fabric) is nice for everyday business wear, but not professional enough for your interview.



Since you're wearing pants, I'd give them a pass. You know there are little pads and inserts you can try that help your shoes stay on.
I have a hard time finding SNEAKERS that fit properly...I have very small feet with a very high arch, so
a) a lot of stores don't carry my size
b) in order to fit my arch I often have to get a size or 2 bigger, so there's often a solid inch or more in front of my toes. That doesn't work so well for heels.
 
Oh, and a reminder since I am a tomboy from way back and just remembered myself: haircut at least a week beforehand, clean nails and brows, and don't forget to pump the Wiz Khalifa in the car on your way there. Keep those vibrations high, ladies!
I'm actually stuck on the new FOB album for pumpup music atm (there's a sentence I never saw myself saying in 2015). "They will remember me, for centuries!" and "I can move mountains, I can work a miracle" with a good beat behind them =
i_am_amazing_by_ghiblifreek-d46neqt.png
 
I'm actually stuck on the new FOB album for pumpup music atm (there's a sentence I never saw myself saying in 2015). "They will remember me, for centuries!" and "I can move mountains, I can work a miracle" with a good beat behind them =
i_am_amazing_by_ghiblifreek-d46neqt.png
Do you, boo!
 
Okay so I have a dilemma.

I'm really slender and when I wear pants that are not form-fitting, I look like a stick and really kiddish. So I've decided I'm either going to go for a skirt or a dress.

However, I also have reaally really thin ankles, and I have never found a single pair of pumps that will stay on my feet. So I'm thinking of wearing ones with ankle straps but I see in this thread that's inappropriate to wear with a skirt? I would just wear flats but I also see people saying it's not very professional (I'm not very tall so the height from a pair of low heels would also help).

So what options do I have? Is it possible for me to look professional at all? 🙁

I hate women's professional wear. It's the most confusing and unnecessarily complicated thing ever.
 
Okay so I have a dilemma.

I'm really slender and when I wear pants that are not form-fitting, I look like a stick and really kiddish. So I've decided I'm either going to go for a skirt or a dress.

However, I also have reaally really thin ankles, and I have never found a single pair of pumps that will stay on my feet. So I'm thinking of wearing ones with ankle straps but I see in this thread that's inappropriate to wear with a skirt? I would just wear flats but I also see people saying it's not very professional (I'm not very tall so the height from a pair of low heels would also help).

So what options do I have? Is it possible for me to look professional at all? 🙁

I hate women's professional wear. It's the most confusing and unnecessarily complicated thing ever.
I have a similar problem. You may end up paying a little more, but I got a pair of heels in narrow and it works MIRACLES. The don't even slide off when I put on nylons!! They were Ivanka Trump and about $100, but I'm sure there are other brands that make narrows, I'm just not sure which!
 
I have a similar problem. You may end up paying a little more, but I got a pair of heels in narrow and it works MIRACLES. The don't even slide off when I put on nylons!! They were Ivanka Trump and about $100, but I'm sure there are other brands that make narrows, I'm just not sure which!
I'll definitely look into it! The front of my feet are fairly wide though, it's just the back that's really narrow. Do they make triangle shaped shoes? xD
 
I'll definitely look into it! The front of my feet are fairly wide though, it's just the back that's really narrow. Do they make triangle shaped shoes? xD

I have the exact same problem as you, wide in the toes and narrow in the heel. I've compared my feet to duck flippers before.
 
I just have to say - heels are such a pain in the butt. After giving up on some 3 inch ones I found, I tested out a pair of matronly, comfort-brand pumps at work. Hot spots everywhere. They would've turned into blisters if I hadn't slapped on some moleskin fast.
 
So with wine/burgundy/cordovan shoes and a navy suit, is a bag in that color expected also, or are other colors also permissible? Out of black, camel, mocha, grey, and beige, as examples of neutral colors, which would be acceptable? Any others?
bag should match shoes. i read this in Winged Scapula's post a few pages back
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
There is no need for a portfolio.

I'm glad to read this, I need to bring a small purse w/ medical supplies, but I honestly hate carrying a portfolio. I don't like lugging around a lot of stuff, I have had many awkward moments of fumbling around and dropping things. Hooray for clumsiness 🙄
 
I just have to say - heels are such a pain in the butt. After giving up on some 3 inch ones I found, I tested out a pair of matronly, comfort-brand pumps at work. Hot spots everywhere. They would've turned into blisters if I hadn't slapped on some moleskin fast.
"Matronly" pumps are fine.
I would rather see people walking with confidence than teetering around looking uncomfortable.
We usually see at least a few casualties at white coat as well. So awkward.