Women's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
"Matronly" pumps are fine.
I would rather see people walking with confidence than teetering around looking uncomfortable.
We usually see at least a few casualties at white coat as well. So awkward.
I was fine with the style, but disappointed that even the comfort-type heels were giving me problems. The search continues! There's going to be no teetering for me.
 
Speaking of white coat... since it is that time of year, I have come across many pictures from white coat ceremonies of friends/friends of friends and I am flabbergasted by the outfits! When did mid-thigh dresses and stilettos become appropriate for professional gatherings?! (Or ever in my book... but that's a personal opinion, so I won't go there.)
 
Speaking of white coat... since it is that time of year, I have come across many pictures from white coat ceremonies of friends/friends of friends and I am flabbergasted by the outfits! When did mid-thigh dresses and stilettos become appropriate for professional gatherings?! (Or ever in my book... but that's a personal opinion, so I won't go there.)
Never, but it became common about 5 years ago.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Speaking of white coat... since it is that time of year, I have come across many pictures from white coat ceremonies of friends/friends of friends and I am flabbergasted by the outfits! When did mid-thigh dresses and stilettos become appropriate for professional gatherings?! (Or ever in my book... but that's a personal opinion, so I won't go there.)
I have to agree...young kids these days. The truth is, mid-thigh dresses + super high heels create a really weird division of body when wearing a white coat for most girls, it's not complimenting at all, totally defeats the purpose.
 
Okay so I have a dilemma.

I'm really slender and when I wear pants that are not form-fitting, I look like a stick and really kiddish. So I've decided I'm either going to go for a skirt or a dress.

However, I also have reaally really thin ankles, and I have never found a single pair of pumps that will stay on my feet. So I'm thinking of wearing ones with ankle straps but I see in this thread that's inappropriate to wear with a skirt? I would just wear flats but I also see people saying it's not very professional (I'm not very tall so the height from a pair of low heels would also help).

So what options do I have? Is it possible for me to look professional at all? 🙁

I hate women's professional wear. It's the most confusing and unnecessarily complicated thing ever.
At my interviews, most women wore flats. Of women who wore heels, maybe one wore the pumps that are considered ideal in this thread. (She also pulled off a great dress-suit--it was a very impressive outfit.) I wore shoes with an ankle strap to all of my 5 interviews and had 4 acceptances. Mine were not cute (and I wore pants for this reason) but a skinny ankle strap is okay IMO.

My advice would be to go shoe shopping now! I had thought that I had suitable pumps but they didn't work with my pantyhose so I got stuck with the strapped shoes when I had no time for interviews. I am now planning to keep an eye out for pumps that stay on properly for me now, so that I have them on hand when I need them.

Since presumably you're in the US, you could buy 5 or so shoes from Zappos in narrow and just return whatever does not work.
 
Question about shoes, are these flats okay or nay: http://www.dsw.com/shoe/abella+lindy+flat?prodId=273287&productRef=SEARCH

I personally don't like to wear heels and my feet are really thin so it's hard to find shoes that fit me since I have to size down so much.


EDIT: Can someone also comment on what kind of purses are appropriate? Like should they be big enough to fit a pair of shoes if we plan on switching?
 
Last edited:
if heels are bad. why not try loafers? I love them. They are professional, but stylish. (Altho there are ugly loafers. Just find pretty ones) Ankle boots with 1-3in wedges (+socks) are also pretty comfortable. Heels with ankle wrap are also fairly comfortable too, if one must go with heels. I prefer them to flats for long walk sometimes.
 
I really like this dress combo, but I'm curious what everyone's thoughts are on the neckline/lack of buttons on the jacket. Also kind of worried about black on black being a bit too dark. I would likely have it hemmed up to just under the knee as well as I don't think mid-calf is very flattering on me.

http://www.dillards.com/product/Preston-York-Liza-Jacket-Blake-Dress_301_-1_301_505076054?categoryId=615634&di=04434939_zi&facetCache=pageSize=100&beginIndex=0&orderBy=1

I think it's very attractive, but agree with you on the dress length and with some concern on the neckline dip. The 'neck slit' doesn't look particularly deep, so I'd say that if your figure is not too hour-glassy it's probably fine. On the other hand, if 'the girls' are of such proportions as to attract attention even when you're dressed conservatively, this might tip a bit too much to the sexy. Try it on to see if it's 'peek a boo' and gauge accordingly.
 

Attachments

  • screenshot.1.jpg
    screenshot.1.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 186
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Given your navy shoes, I'd assume you are wearing a navy suit? In which case, I think a red shirt looks too presidential, but that's just my personal opinion.
Otherwise, I like the neckline of the shirt, but it looks like the sleeves flare out a bit, so they could get bunched up under a jacket potentially.
 
Given your navy shoes, I'd assume you are wearing a navy suit? In which case, I think a red shirt looks too presidential, but that's just my personal opinion.
Otherwise, I like the neckline of the shirt, but it looks like the sleeves flare out a bit, so they could get bunched up under a jacket potentially.

I am thinking of wearing a charcoal grey suit with the black shoes from the first link - what do you think of the style of the shoes from the 1st or 2nd link in black?

Sorry, I have no eye for these things[emoji44]
 
I am thinking of wearing a charcoal grey suit with the black shoes from the first link - what do you think of the style of the shoes from the 1st or 2nd link in black?

Sorry, I have no eye for these things[emoji44]
Ah okay black shoes would be fine then! The first color that shows up is just navy 🙂
Both of these shoes look like they're fabric or suede, but I would try to stick with leather or something that looks like leather if you can because 1. fabric shoes get ruined really easily and 2. leather is more formal IMO
 
Ah okay black shoes would be fine then! The first color that shows up is just navy 🙂
Both of these shoes look like they're fabric or suede, but I would try to stick with leather or something that looks like leather if you can because 1. fabric shoes get ruined really easily and 2. leather is more formal IMO

A good point about shoes getting ruined... if you interview in the north during winter, the salt will destroy fabric or suede shoes. At least you can wipe it off of leather.
 
1. Is a one-button suit appropriate or do I need a two-button suit? I already have a one-button blazer in black, and would highly prefer to just buy the matching bottoms.

2. What color shoes / bag do I wear with Navy? I'm under the impression that not black...
 
Has anyone had any luck finding a nice suit for under $200?

2XIaaPO.jpg

I got my Banana Republic lightweight wool skirt suit for (ballpark) $80 + $37 = $117, prices before discount $198 + $89 = $287. Tax on top of that, but still.

It can be done. Make like a spider and always be prepared for prey. Weave a web and wait. Be crafty about shopping sales. Maybe the discounts won't be as steep, but BR is having a sale on their site right now.
 
I got my Banana Republic lightweight wool skirt suit for (ballpark) $80 + $37 = $117, prices before discount $198 + $89 = $287. Tax on top of that, but still.

It can be done. Make like a spider and always be prepared for prey. Weave a web and wait. Be crafty about shopping sales. Maybe the discounts won't be as steep, but BR is having a sale on their site right now.
Seconded. I have a BR factory store near my house and I was able to buy the matching skirt to my pantsuit for $15. I almost cried.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got my Banana Republic lightweight wool skirt suit for (ballpark) $80 + $37 = $117, prices before discount $198 + $89 = $287. Tax on top of that, but still.

It can be done. Make like a spider and always be prepared for prey. Weave a web and wait. Be crafty about shopping sales. Maybe the discounts won't be as steep, but BR is having a sale on their site right now.
Same! Whole pant suit for ~100 😀 although the pants are a bit baggy so maybe I should get it tailored
 
1. Is a one-button suit appropriate or do I need a two-button suit? I already have a one-button blazer in black, and would highly prefer to just buy the matching bottoms.

Either one or two is fine.

2. What color shoes / bag do I wear with Navy? I'm under the impression that not black...

Classically cordovan/wine color but black is common so most won't look askance at it. Don't try and match blue.
 
As we prepare for another interview season I would like to ask for at least the following:
No cocktail dresses or rings. No sequins or bustiers.
No topsiders or flipflops. I should not be able to comment on your pedicure.
No matter how pretty your arms are, wear a jacket.
No matter how pretty your bosom, this is not the time to show it.
No chandelier earrings.
No appliques.
No nail art.
No jeans or corduroys.
Take rings out of your lip, septum and eyebrow.
Leave your parents, siblings and SO at home (or at least don't bring them to the interview).
Leave dolls and stuffed animals at home too.
Hair color found in nature.
Remove chewing gum before the interview.

If I see none of these this year, it will be an improvement over last year.
 
As we prepare for another interview season I would like to ask for at least the following:
No cocktail dresses or rings. No sequins or bustiers.
No topsiders or flipflops. I should not be able to comment on your pedicure.
No matter how pretty your arms are, wear a jacket.
No matter how pretty your bosom, this is not the time to show it.
No chandelier earrings.
No appliques.
No nail art.
No jeans or corduroys.
Take rings out of your lip, septum and eyebrow.
Leave your parents, siblings and SO at home (or at least don't bring them to the interview).
Leave dolls and stuffed animals at home too.
Hair color found in nature.
Remove chewing gum before the interview.

If I see none of these this year, it will be an improvement over last year.
Speaking from experience about the dolls??
 
As we prepare for another interview season I would like to ask for at least the following:
No cocktail dresses or rings. No sequins or bustiers.
No topsiders or flipflops. I should not be able to comment on your pedicure.
No matter how pretty your arms are, wear a jacket.
No matter how pretty your bosom, this is not the time to show it.
No chandelier earrings.
No appliques.
No nail art.
No jeans or corduroys.
Take rings out of your lip, septum and eyebrow.
Leave your parents, siblings and SO at home (or at least don't bring them to the interview).
Leave dolls and stuffed animals at home too.
Hair color found in nature.
Remove chewing gum before the interview.

If I see none of these this year, it will be an improvement over last year.
Posts like this make me feel better about my interview skills
 
As we prepare for another interview season I would like to ask for at least the following:
No cocktail dresses or rings. No sequins or bustiers.
No topsiders or flipflops. I should not be able to comment on your pedicure.
No matter how pretty your arms are, wear a jacket.
No matter how pretty your bosom, this is not the time to show it.
No chandelier earrings.
No appliques.
No nail art.
No jeans or corduroys.
Take rings out of your lip, septum and eyebrow.
Leave your parents, siblings and SO at home (or at least don't bring them to the interview).
Leave dolls and stuffed animals at home too.
Hair color found in nature.
Remove chewing gum before the interview.

If I see none of these this year, it will be an improvement over last year.

I'm always fascinated with the people who bring their parents. At every open house I've attended and even my MCAT test day there have been at least one set of parents in attendance.
 
I'm always fascinated with the people who bring their parents. At every open house I've attended and even my MCAT test day there have been at least one set of parents in attendance.
We have a heck of a time trying to get them to leave.
Sometimes they just sit there and knit.
The Dads will be reading the WSJ and yelling on the phone.
So awkward.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad