Women's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got this shirt because I loved the blue color. It came yesterday. Be warned it's quite wide open in the front, those criss-cross flaps are separate pieces of the shirt and are not attached to each other. so they do billow open. You'll need something under it, and I'm a little worried that will look weird.
I have the shirt as well and have not found it as billowy as you but it's very easy to either put a safety pin or a snap between the two layers so they stay together.
 
...sigh. Back to square one. Or, almost. I still do have one wine-colored shirt from The Limited that will work, I hope.

The frustration in this process is incredible, haha.

Is a navy suit with cream top just as bad as black?
This should be fun, not frustrating. Don't let it get you down.

A Navy suit with the cream blouse especially if it's not a button front cotton shirt should be different enough but still conservative especially if you wear it with wine color pumps.
 
Are gold buttons on a navy blazer a no-no? I'm going shopping for my first interview soon and am wondering if I can use the blazer and buy a sheath dress to pair with it or if I need to just start from scratch. I'm worried that the buttons make it too informal.
 
Last edited:
Ok ladies...need your help....I have an interview coming up... Does black handbag/pumps go with navy dress suits or pants? I am thinking yes??? But just want to make sure lol :pacifier1:
 
Ok ladies...need your help....I have an interview coming up... Does black handbag/pumps go with navy dress suits or pants? I am thinking yes??? But just want to make sure lol :pacifier1:
Yes, absolutely! I will also wear navy suit with black heels and black purse, which looks great together.
It's a very safe color combination ( based on experts' opinions in this thread)
 
Yes, absolutely! I will also wear navy suit with black heels and black purse, which looks great together.
It's a very safe color combination ( based on experts' opinions in this thread)
Just wanted to make sure....I wanted to wear burgundy shoes but I usually look ridiculous if I try to play with color too much lol
Thank you @lyana !
 
Just wanted to make sure....I wanted to wear burgundy shoes but I usually look ridiculous if I try to play with color too much lol
Thank you @lyana !
Burgundy IS the preferred choice with navy.

Black is acceptable; I'm personally not a fan but I would not insist that an underfunded pre-med student purchase cordovan/burgundy shoes that they might not wear again.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Are gold buttons on a navy blazer a no-no? I'm going shopping for my first interview soon and am wondering if I can use the blazer and buy a sheath dress to pair with it or if I need to just start from scratch. I'm worried that the buttons make it too informal.
They do make it more informal but if you're not particularly wedded to the gold buttons, you can replace them or have a tailor do it for you.
 
Burgundy IS the preferred choice with navy.

Black is acceptable; I'm personally not a fan but I would not insist that an underfunded pre-med student purchase cordovan/burgundy shoes that they might not wear again.
Thank you! I have a one button pantsuit, but is 2 button considered more formal?
 
Thank you! I have a one button pantsuit, but is 2 button considered more formal?
Yes two button blazers for women are considered more appropriate and theyre easier to wear.

You have to be careful with the single button and where it hits you. If it doesn't hit you at the smallest part of your waist it can easily bunch up and look unflattering.

Lastly a three button is good for tall women, those with large bust and or long torsos.

The rules aren't as strict for women; the key is to pick what looks best on you.
 
Hello ladies! I was just reading that J. Crew, Banana Republic, Madewell and The Limited give a student discount with student ID. Does anyone know this to be true? Cause that would be so helpful for interview shopping! :happy:
 
Okay so shoes…. flats? heels?
And purse/bag… how big? satchel? or actual purse? or nothing?
(this may have been discussed but with 58 pages to look through, I thought just asking again would be okay)
 
Okay so shoes…. flats? heels?
And purse/bag… how big? satchel? or actual purse? or nothing?
(this may have been discussed but with 58 pages to look through, I thought just asking again would be okay)
Comfortable heels and tote purse same color as shoes.
 
Remind us about your hair specifics.

General guidelines:

1) off the face
2) no colors not found in nature
3) no beauty queen hair; it should look pretty but practical
upload_2015-8-29_0-50-38.png

Can I just pin it back like this??
Or just tie it back
 

Attachments

  • upload_2015-8-29_0-50-14.png
    upload_2015-8-29_0-50-14.png
    592.4 KB · Views: 91
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have very thin hair, so I always need to use hair spray. Tried everything from big sexy hair to tresemme ( and many in between), and yes, L'oreal is so far the best hair spray I used. All other made my hair look almost brittle and frizzy, not this one tho.
 
I have very thin hair, so I always need to use hair spray. Tried everything from big sexy hair to tresemme ( and many in between), and yes, L'oreal is so far the best hair spray I used. All other made my hair look almost brittle and frizzy, not this one tho.
A second vote for elnett from me. It's awesome
When I do a bun, I always have a bunch of little broken hairs sticking up where my hair should be all flat and sleek. Does hair spray make those hairs stay flat or do I need something different for that?
 
When I do a bun, I always have a bunch of little broken hairs sticking up where my hair should be all flat and sleek. Does hair spray make those hairs stay flat or do I need something different for that?


spritz a fine tooth comb with hairspray and use that to tame those smaller bits of hair that stick up. dont hairspray your whole head.
 
Yes cream is off white. There is nothing inherently wrong with wearing white; its just boring. Frankly, if you wear a black suit and white blouse you will be part of the 80% of women that will as well.

With something as plain as cream and navy or black and white, you have the leeway for an interesting piece of jewelry. Not crazy, but something a little more visible than we'd normally advise.

When I do a bun, I always have a bunch of little broken hairs sticking up where my hair should be all flat and sleek. Does hair spray make those hairs stay flat or do I need something different for that?

I've found also that slightly dirty hair works better than clean in a bun. Not sure why, but...
 
With something as plain as cream and navy or black and white, you have the leeway for an interesting piece of jewelry. Not crazy, but something a little more visible than we'd normally advise.



I've found also that slightly dirty hair works better than clean in a bun. Not sure why, but...



If your hair is really fine or you just washed it and need some texture to hold a hairstyle, I've found that dry shampoo works really well.
 
Here's what I think about black hose:

- they remind me of the 80s, when we girls wore a lot of colored and patterned hose and tights
- they seem sexier to some people (not me necessarily)
- they are better for evening and I could stretch that to include winter as well
- they must be very sheer to work; tights only with casual clothes

So, the final consensus is that tights are ok in the winter? There are some less thick, more sheer tights out there. Target makes these.
 
So, the final consensus is that tights are ok in the winter? There are some less thick, more sheer tights out there. Target makes these.
No, the consensus is that tights are never ok for a professional business interview.

We were talking about black colored hose, not tights. Note that I said that black hosiery is not ideal but that they could potentially work in some instances; the default is nude.

NB: a point I had not made earlier but one of the problem with darker hosiery (i.e. darker than your skin tone, whatever that is) is that a run is much more visible than if you chose something closer to the color of your legs. A run in black hosiery is very visible on most women.
 
When I do a bun, I always have a bunch of little broken hairs sticking up where my hair should be all flat and sleek. Does hair spray make those hairs stay flat or do I need something different for that?
Would also recommend trying some Moroccan/Argan oil (even for daily wear-not just your interviews). Will flatten/smooth things out without completely devolumizing your hair. With hairspray, I find that you get that severe, strict, evil principal look.

Generally, they have tester bottles at Ulta or Sally's so you can see if it works on your hair or not!
 
Would also recommend trying some Moroccan/Argan oil (even for daily wear-not just your interviews). Will flatten/smooth things out without completely devolumizing your hair. With hairspray, I find that you get that severe, strict, evil principal look.

Generally, they have tester bottles at Ulta or Sally's so you can see if it works on your hair or not!


Be careful w that stuff near the hairline though.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have brown/blonde hair that somehow blends exactly in with every color of pin I own >< so the pictures I take are sort of useless.

Basically if you do a low French braid and continue braiding till the end of your hair, then twist and pin that up into a low bun(with a zillion pins) and make sure to use dry shampoo or spray before and a little spray after you should be good
 
I have brown/blonde hair that somehow blends exactly in with every color of pin I own >< so the pictures I take are sort of useless.

Basically if you do a low French braid and continue braiding till the end of your hair, then twist and pin that up into a low bun(with a zillion pins) and make sure to use dry shampoo or spray before and a little spray after you should be good
Not that anyone should care, but, can I just vent? I'm traveling from the rural highlands of Guatemala and buying everything for this interview--down to my underwear--the day beforehand. Plus getting my eyebrows done.

I've never used dry shampoo or hairpins. I got a $3 haircut in a shack lit by a single, bare bulb.

I'm freaking out.