Women's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Not that anyone should care, but, can I just vent? I'm traveling from the rural highlands of Guatemala and buying everything for this interview--down to my underwear--the day beforehand. Plus getting my eyebrows done.

I've never used dry shampoo or hairpins. I got a $3 haircut in a shack lit by a single, bare bulb.

I'm freaking out.

Don't freak out. Do a regular braid and just make sure the front is neat and not in your face.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah hairstyles with all those pins and stuff stress me out and I don't have the skillz lol. I'm keeping it super simple, something I can do in a couple minutes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Where are you at on makeup?
Better than expected. I actually have contacts with me. Will probably use them since my glasses tend to slip down. Mascara. Brown liner. Have some all over blending type cream i might use. I'll buy some neutral lipstick and I think that should do it?

This school asked me to send a very specifically formatted and posed photo from the road, tho. That's turned out to be a waaay bigger problem.

Where are you at on makeup?
My two biggest fears right now are 1) contracting E. coli three days before my interview and 2) a mosquito biting my forehead in my sleep.

The foundation-type cream is my insurance against the latter.

Hey guys is a deep fuchsia color top okay or is it too bright?

@pageantry relax, stress will only weaken your immune system ;)

But actually, hope you arrive to your interviews alright health-wise

Last edited:
upload_2015-8-29_23-36-57.jpeg

can't find it online, but here's the color. It's super conservative cut wise, 3/4 sleeves.

Better than expected. I actually have contacts with me. Will probably use them since my glasses tend to slip down. Mascara. Brown liner. Have some all over blending type cream i might use. I'll buy some neutral lipstick and I think that should do it?

This school asked me to send a very specifically formatted and posed photo from the road, tho. That's turned out to be a waaay bigger problem.

All over blending cream?

Put some of it on your eyelids before liner

Set everything with powder

Powder over your lips to keep your lipstick on, and then blot it once you've put it on, on a tissue.

I am trying to think of other tips and I just looked over at my vanity table and cringed. So much makeup and brushes and crap

Reactions: 1 users
View attachment 195667
can't find it online, but here's the color. It's super conservative cut wise, 3/4 sleeves.

I would wear it, with a really well tailored black suit and extremely neutral other things(jewelry and makeup), but I'm brown and so it might not look as "loud" against my skin color as it might for someone else

Fabric choice also matters as deep fuschia satin does not equal deep fuschia crepe. The crepe is a more muted much more professional choice

This is totally not going to work for you atm @pageantry but I thought of another tip to give your hair enough texture to hold a pinned back and/or braided pinned back style if you have super straight Asian hair like me....flatiron curls! 1 inch flat iron that's totally smooth on the outside(no vents etc, I use a babyliss pro one), take a section of hair close to your roots in the iron, half turn, pull down on the piece with gentle pressure. Repeat all over head, then do your hairstyle.

I dose myself with all sorts of crazy stuff when I'm stressed out, it's probably all placebo effect and mental but I <3 emergen-c and also sleepy time vanilla tea

Members don't see this ad :)

I like it - as fancy says, the cut and fabric will make it more conservative (provided you didn't choose a satin spaghetti strap top)!

Thanks for the opinion guys, I tried it with my suit and it looks a little too bright/festive... (but the color's beautiful!) I'll think about it tomorrow

will check fabric tomorrow

Last edited:
This is totally not going to work for you atm @pageantry but I thought of another tip to give your hair enough texture to hold a pinned back and/or braided pinned back style if you have super straight Asian hair like me....flatiron curls! 1 inch flat iron that's totally smooth on the outside(no vents etc, I use a babyliss pro one), take a section of hair close to your roots in the iron, half turn, pull down on the piece with gentle pressure. Repeat all over head, then do your hairstyle.
I've been trying to learn how to do curls with a flat iron for ages and never understood how to do it, but with your one sentence explanation I finally got it. Thank you!!

All over blending cream?

Put some of it on your eyelids before liner

Set everything with powder

Powder over your lips to keep your lipstick on, and then blot it once you've put it on, on a tissue.

I am trying to think of other tips and I just looked over at my vanity table and cringed. So much makeup and brushes and crap
I don't know what it is. Is it this new stuff I hear about called bb cream? I picked up that plus concealer in the airport duty free because I had a truly depressing zit.

It's that stuff that comes out of the tube white but blends to match your skin tone when you put it on? I had an idea that using it over concealer would smooth out my overall look. Powder seems like a great idea too. I'll add it to my list.

Thanks for your thoughts and help, by the way. You are all beautiful.

I don't know what it is. Is it this new stuff I hear about called bb cream? I picked up that plus concealer in the airport duty free because I had a truly depressing zit.

It's that stuff that comes out of the tube white but blends to match your skin tone when you put it on? I had an idea that using it over concealer would smooth out my overall look. Powder seems like a great idea too. I'll add it to my list.

Some bb cream is white...most are at least somewhat tinted.....

Some bb cream is white...most are at least somewhat tinted.....
I'm a self-conscious marshmallow...
I really don't know what it is. Powder! Will do.
Edit: okay! Dug it out of my pack. It's Loreal 5-in-1 BB Cream alright. With "smart pigment capsules"! Boy howdy!

Last edited:
Anyone have any tips for reducing the slipperiness of heels? I'm comfortable walking for the most part but the actual "stalk" part of the pump is slippery. I am having nightmares of being the person who wipes out in the lobby :eek:

Anyone have any tips for reducing the slipperiness of heels? I'm comfortable walking for the most part but the actual "stalk" part of the pump is slippery. I am having nightmares of being the person who wipes out in the lobby :eek:
Grab some super fine sandpaper and rub on the bottom a bit ?? Add some roughness to give friction ?
We have wood floors and there these super thin, skid resistant pads that go on the bottom of the wooden pegs on our bed... I wonder if that could help without altering appearance ?
Never had this issue so I'm not sure if there are specific solutions to this.

I'm always really careful when I walk because my school has a super slippery tile everywhere (especially when it rains, and in Seattle.... yeah...). Just be very conscious of your feet and you should be fine :p
Or maybe try the ballerina thing where they condition the bottom of their slippers to have more grip?

@idontknowwhatnametopick @breezy16

Thanks! Sigh, it's a bit frustrating because the rest of the sole is perfect, rubber w/ great traction, just this little plastic heel cap that's giving me issues. Perhaps I'll do some laps around my neighborhood in them, concrete might help with roughing them up!

Argh so just when I thought I was all set, I went shopping today and found a charcoal suit that fit me way better and was only $160 (1/2 the cost of my first suit).

Would the wine colored accessories still work with charcoal?

I use Garnier bb cream. My skin tone is a medium mocha so I use a darker tint than you would. But I love it. Not too heavy, but covers minor issues.

I use Garnier bb cream. My skin tone is a medium mocha so I use a darker tint than you would. But I love it. Not too heavy, but covers minor issues.
Yeah it seems pretty nice actually! I don't feel fussy putting it on or, like, need makeup-wearing skills. Is it different than tinted moisturizer tho? What is a BB cream anyway? I guess I could just google this...

What is the consensus on wearing patterned shells? I found a lovely polka dot shell at Ann Taylor that looks sharp with my navy skirt suit. It is beige and there are black polka dots on it (they are very small... about the size of the end of a Q-tip). It seems classic to me, not too busy, and looked nicer than the plain white one I found. I am hoping for advice on whether this is acceptable.

Last edited:
Hey All.
Shoe Question.
I have a navy suit, plan on wearing it with a light pink top.
In terms of shoes: I have a nice maroon shoe that I wear at work. I think it would look great with the suit, but not sure it is considered informal or anything.

Alternatively I can wear a black shoe or a beige shoe.

Thoughts?

If one wears a matching blazer and dress (same color and fabric), how should she break up the monotony in her outfit?

If one wears a matching blazer and dress (same color and fabric), how should she break up the monotony in her outfit?

I'm using an interesting (small) necklace. Not a big statement necklace, but something with some color.

Are you wearing a cami with this?? I have something similar!
No, mine is very dark deep green and is not see through, so I think it will be good without a cami, plus I really do not plan on taking off my blazer ( hopefully!)

I'm using an interesting (small) necklace. Not a big statement necklace, but something with some color.
Ok. I have some gold posts and a little gold necklace; should I perhaps switch the necklace to a small gemstone on a (dainty) gold chain? It's a navy dress suit.

So will anyone judge me for wearing a dark pant suit in like 85 degrees? Didn't buy the matching skirt

Ok. I have some gold posts and a little gold necklace; should I perhaps switch the necklace to a small gemstone on a (dainty) gold chain? It's a navy dress suit.

What about something simple but a little more substantial? A strand of pearls? Gold [tone] chain? You want something large enough to actually show up, otherwise you don't "break the monotony."
vivien-l.jpg

Why would they? Men wear dark pant suits year round.

Hence the frigid summer indoor temperatures in all of our offices!

Reactions: 1 users
What about something simple but a little more substantial? A strand of pearls? Gold [tone] chain? You want something large enough to actually show up, otherwise you don't "break the monotony."
vivien-l.jpg
Ok, will do! Thanks!

So will anyone judge me for wearing a dark pant suit in like 85 degrees? Didn't buy the matching skirt
Did this last week and was hustled around campus on multiple tours (basically jogging around to keep on schedule), in 85-90oF and high humidity. Definitely broke a sweat, but when I looked around, so did everyone else.

The majority of the women in my group wore varying colors (from off white, to navy, to black) and the men were mainly in black or navy.
Wear what you're most confident in!

Did this last week and was hustled around campus on multiple tours (basically jogging around to keep on schedule), in 85-90oF and high humidity. Definitely broke a sweat, but when I looked around, so did everyone else.

The majority of the women in my group wore varying colors (from off white, to navy, to black) and the men were mainly in black or navy.
Wear what you're most confident in!
yeah, the tour is what I'm worried about! Didn't want to be all gross for the interviews lol

vivien-l.jpg

I agree.
Dainty little jewelry just doesn't read professional, it's personal.

The lilac is very nice and feminine. I'm not a fan of v-necks but the green isn't bad. I definitely wouldn't go with the shirt, too boring and typical interview look.

Really? Dainty, understated jewelry isn't professional?
For earrings, buttons read better than studs (though studs are ok). Dangles are contrary to hospital dress codes at every place I've ever worked and should be avoided at the interview.
The only reason to wear a necklace is to accent the suit. A dainty piece does nothing to achieve this.