Women's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Re: hair
At the end of the day, I think it's more important to look appropriate than feel pretty in this circumstance. However, if wearing your hair pulled back is going to bother you to the point where it affects your interview performance, maybe it's a trade off you can make.
Eh, well, maybe my spirit will somehow shine through.
 
Practice walking something like this you should be able to walk around comfortably all day.
http://www.clarksusa.com/us/womens/womens-wide-width/Tempt-Appeal-Black-Leather/p/26062332
These look a lot like the ones I bought (aerosoles, see earlier post, 30-something dollars). That type of heel is AWESOME, I wear them almost every day. Wore them to a bachelorette party, a walking tour, work+commute multiple times. Completely in love.
I used to just wear wedges but this is just as comfortable. 3 inches is a great height.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
On hair: I tried to layer mine at home and it kinda went wrong. 😆 Doesn't matter anyway since I'm putting it into a french twist: if you have wavy/straight hair of medium to long length, this just might be your style! Practice with bobby pins two or three times before interview day to make sure you're not scrambling the morning of.
 
On hair: I tried to layer mine at home and it kinda went wrong. 😆 Doesn't matter anyway since I'm putting it into a french twist: if you have wavy/straight hair of medium to long length, this just might be your style! Practice with bobby pins two or three times before interview day to make sure you're not scrambling the morning of.
I would love to do a French twist but I've tried 4 times and it didn't work. Is there a good youtube video you'd recommend? Or a secret trick that I may be unaware of?
 
Would either of these two shoes work? (Obviously I would be selecting the black leather option when it comes to color choice)

http://www.ninewest.com/Shindig-Smo...ariantColor=JJ0CEB2&cgid=8346267&cgid=8346267

http://www.ninewest.com/Speakup-Poi...iantColor=JJIC2A0_1&cgid=8346267&cgid=8346267

In black, I'd say those are fine.


No. Ruffles are girlie, and you want to look more serious.

Alright! I've bought this set in navy blue:
Jacket http://www.thelimited.com/product/collection-2-button-jacket/25168942500019.html
Dress http://www.thelimited.com/product/collection-v-back-sheath-dress/31418822500019.html

Unfortunately they were out of my size so I ordered online.
Thoughts? If this isn't dressy enough for the interview I can definitely use this at work 😀

Well done! Have it tailored if needed, but it looks great.

We've already discussed putting up tailbone length hair. What about long hair to say elbows? I feel prettier with it down and am only confident about putting it up in a simple bun otherwise.

My plan is to get it trimmed beforehand and then it may be more like, uhhhh... Breastlength? Once I applied for a fairly high level job at an investment bank and was advised by other women (who saw my picture) to wear it down. But there's no doubt this is more of a hippie length right now.

What about a Kate Middleton 'half up'? You get the length and general feel of long hair, but the practicality and professionalism of pulled back.

Practice walking. In something like this you should be able to walk around comfortably all day.
http://www.clarksusa.com/us/womens/womens-wide-width/Tempt-Appeal-Black-Leather/p/26062332

Great find. I know there on the expensive side for most on a college student budget, but Clarks makes excellent quality, VERY comfortable shoes, and basic black pumps are the kind of shoes you will wear for years -- until they wear out. These shoes say the right things about you -- that you make good long-term decisions.
 
Ugh, I think it's schoolmarm bun or long hippie for me! Or a whole new hairstyle that may well DESTROY ME.

Maybe you are much more glamorous than I am, but--as a former homeschooler--on me, either style you mentioned tends to look super homeschool. Like that Amish meth-head from Orange is The New Black. D:

View attachment 195329

Love that meme! And your post -- :bow: Props for humor
 
I would love to do a French twist but I've tried 4 times and it didn't work. Is there a good youtube video you'd recommend? Or a secret trick that I may be unaware of?
I'm so at a loss re: bobby pins. I have to accept that this is my own character flaw, since apparently everyone else has made it work.
 
I'm so at a loss re: bobby pins. I have to accept that this is my own character flaw, since apparently everyone else has made it work.



Clip your hair back in a half up half down style with a claw/alligator clip, use two long bobby pins on one half of the sectioned off part while holding it with your other hand, remove the clip, repeat the process for the other half.
 
Clip your hair back in a half up half down style with a claw/alligator clip, use two long bobby pins on one half of the sectioned off part while holding it with your other hand, remove the clip, repeat the process for the other half.
So, one of the things about us homeschooled weirdos is mostly we weren't allowed to read the kind of sinful/hegemonic (six of one...) magazines like Seventeen that contain potentially ruinous phrases like "sectioned-off part" and "holding it in your other hand."

Basically I'm just sitting here opening and closing my mouth like a startled goldfish.

But I sincerely appreciate the effort. Maybe I'll hit up the YouTube. <3
 
I would love to do a French twist but I've tried 4 times and it didn't work. Is there a good youtube video you'd recommend? Or a secret trick that I may be unaware of?

I'm so at a loss re: bobby pins. I have to accept that this is my own character flaw, since apparently everyone else has made it work.

Have you turned the bobby pin upside down? The wavy side should be against your scalp, holding hair better. Don't put too much hair in the opening of the pin when you first slide it in, since the shape of the opening will add more hair as you push it in.

Here's a simpler take on the twist that I've been using. Interlocking the horizontal with the vertical pins really gives you an all-day hold.
http://www.realsimple.com/beauty-fashion/hair/french-twist-0
 
So, one of the things about us homeschooled weirdos is mostly we weren't allowed to read the kind of sinful/hegemonic (six of one...) magazines like Seventeen that contain potentially ruinous phrases like "sectioned-off part" and "holding it in your other hand."

Basically I'm just sitting here opening and closing my mouth like a startled goldfish.

But I sincerely appreciate the effort. Maybe I'll hit up the YouTube. <3



I will demonstrate on myself and post pictures when I leave work.
 
Have you turned the bobby pin upside down? The wavy side should be against your scalp, holding hair better. Don't put too much hair in the opening of the pin when you first slide it in, since the shape of the opening will add more hair as you push it in.

Here's a simpler take on the twist that I've been using. Interlocking the horizontal with the vertical pins really gives you an all-day hold.
http://www.realsimple.com/beauty-fashion/hair/french-twist-0
This is really thoughtful, basic information that I frankly need. I'll try that. I think I've been doing both aspects wrong.

Obviously my diversity essay is priceless.

I will demonstrate on myself and post pictures when I leave work.
Hey thanks! I'd say don't worry about it but there might be other people like me who fell through the cracks. That's very nice of you.
 
Practice walking. In something like this you should be able to walk around comfortably all day.
http://www.clarksusa.com/us/womens/womens-wide-width/Tempt-Appeal-Black-Leather/p/26062332
I had a pair quite like that in high school...used to use it when I needed heels for orchestra gigs.
And yes, I still fell occasionally. Got really good at twisting so that I landed with my cello held safely over my head, though!

I'm not generally clumsy and I'm fairly athletic. I just. hate. walking. in. heels.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Finally, FINALLY have the perfect suit and bag and shoes. Shesh, felt like I was shopping for a wedding dress or something
I envy you. It took me a full week of searching tirelessly for cordovan or navy shoes to match my (super dark) navy suit to realize that it was not worth the trouble. Here's to another week of shopping for black heels and a black bag!
 
I envy you. It took me a full week of searching tirelessly for cordovan or navy shoes to match my (super dark) navy suit to realize that it was not worth the trouble. Here's to another week of shopping for black heels and a black bag!
Yea I thought about getting navy but too much hassle!
 
For hair instead of tying half up, can we just pin it on both sides?
Lol I can't tell if this looks formal in an interview or prom sort of way..
 
Last edited:
Does the size of one's purse/bag matter? I have a black Kate Spade tote bag that I was planning on bringing to interviews.
 
Does the size of one's purse/bag matter? I have a black Kate Spade tote bag that I was planning on bringing to interviews.
Consensus seems to be that, although not a deal breaker, tote bags should be avoided and a smaller, more structured bag should be used instead.
If it could feasibly double as a beach bag (minus the nice quality of Kate Spade that I would never subject to beach conditions 😍), it's too big for the occasion
 
These look a lot like the ones I bought (aerosoles, see earlier post, 30-something dollars). That type of heel is AWESOME, I wear them almost every day. Wore them to a bachelorette party, a walking tour, work+commute multiple times. Completely in love.
I used to just wear wedges but this is just as comfortable. 3 inches is a great height.
I'm going to look for those aerosoles as soon as I can. (I just moved and don't have a shipping address yet.)

The Clarks... I could NOT wear all day even with training!
 
I just got the "Red Hot" style of aerosoles from DSW. They are very comfortable (this from a heel-hater) and, while they don't necessarily look "red hot," they are entirely appropriate for the occasion. I tried on Clarks and found them to be less comfortable (probably because the heel was higher and skinnier). I spent around $60.

And now a question about bags: I have a small, leather, cross-body bag I would like to use for interviews. Is it okay if my bag isn't big enough to fit a folder? I don't mind carrying around papers, and I'm not a fan of bulky bags. It's Coach, but it doesn't have that C print or any embellishments. This is it: http://coach.tingtingchen.com/coach...OSSBODY&style=COACH f51682&color=SILVER/BLACK

Thanks for your input!
 
Cross-body bags strike me as less professional than satchel-style bags, but that just might be because I associate them with my going-out college days.

Le sigh.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't know if you guys have had this experience but most of the shoes I've bought through Amazon and DSW have been markedly inferior to the ones I got at the actual shop.

I know going to the store isn't an option for everybody, but I find it's often worth it if I can buy one $90 pair of shoes that lasts five years--because otherwise I'm buying five $60 pairs that last a year each.
 
And now a question about bags: I have a small, leather, cross-body bag I would like to use for interviews. Is it okay if my bag isn't big enough to fit a folder? I don't mind carrying around papers, and I'm not a fan of bulky bags. It's Coach, but it doesn't have that C print or any embellishments. This is it: http://coach.tingtingchen.com/coach-product.php?name=PARK LEATHER LYLA DOUBLE GUSSET CROSSBODY&style=COACH f51682&color=SILVER/BLACK

Thanks for your input!

I think a small black leather crossbody should be fine. I'm bringing the same thing.
 
I don't know if you guys have had this experience but most of the shoes I've bought through Amazon and DSW have been markedly inferior to the ones I got at the actual shop.

I know going to the store isn't an option for everybody, but I find it's often worth it if I can buy one $90 pair of shoes that lasts five years--because otherwise I'm buying five $60 pairs that last a year each.
If that's the case then amazon should get sued because they're advertising the exact same make and model that is also sold in stores. My only bad experience has been shoe size. It varies between brands so it's hard to decide which size to buy online.
 
If that's the case then amazon should get sued because they're advertising the exact same make and model that is also sold in stores. My only bad experience has been shoe size. It varies between brands so it's hard to decide which size to buy online.
You might be right. I've purchased things that had the same look and name (online) but were obviously made with inferior materials when they arrived. Good tip to check the model number.
 
I don't know if you guys have had this experience but most of the shoes I've bought through Amazon and DSW have been markedly inferior to the ones I got at the actual shop.

I know going to the store isn't an option for everybody, but I find it's often worth it if I can buy one $90 pair of shoes that lasts five years--because otherwise I'm buying five $60 pairs that last a year each.

I've had good luck at DSW, but I've never ordered shoes online.
 
Hello ladies,
can you please give some tips on the blouses that would work best with this suit ( color, neck wise, button up or not). I plan on getting dark brown shoes.
Help is greatly appreciated
Thank You!
http://www.thelimited.com/navy-drew-collection-simply-straight-pants-&-slanted-pocket-jacket/march15_suit_18.html?cgid=suits&prefn1=saleStatus&start=15&prefv1=regular&ppid=c15
Hmm, what kind of dark brown? Do you have a picture? I won't knock it til I see it. With dark brown, I think I'd do a burgundy/wine or cream top, not button up. Really has to be the right cream though...
 
I hate to keep dragging up this portfolio issue, but I've read posts from several people that you should bring copies of your AMCAS and secondary to the interview, which would necessitate a folder of some sort. Is this really necessary? I was hoping I could get away with a purse and a small leather-bound notebook tucked inside of it for notes.
 
Hello ladies,
can you please give some tips on the blouses that would work best with this suit ( color, neck wise, button up or not). I plan on getting dark brown shoes.
Help is greatly appreciated
Thank You!
http://www.thelimited.com/navy-drew-collection-simply-straight-pants-&-slanted-pocket-jacket/march15_suit_18.html?cgid=suits&prefn1=saleStatus&start=15&prefv1=regular&ppid=c15
Button-ups can gape, which tends to be awkward.
Personally, I would choose a sleeveless shell with a neckline at your collar bone or 1-2 inches below, avoiding V-neck styles because inadvertent cleavage.
It depends a lot on your complexion, but with navy I like plum or olive for darker complexions and light blue or even pale yellow for lighter complexions. Just please not red. You are not trying to be the president.
Also re: brown shoes. I know navy suits & brown shoes are a big thing in the world of men, but as a female, I'd pick black before brown but cordovan before black.
 
I hate to keep dragging up this portfolio issue, but I've read posts from several people that you should bring copies of your AMCAS and secondary to the interview, which would necessitate a folder of some sort. Is this really necessary? I was hoping I could get away with a purse and a small leather-bound notebook tucked inside of it for notes.
I don't think they physically mean TO the interview. Like, you aren't going to whip it out to reference mid-interview. I think they just mean to bring to re-familiarize yourself with it the night before.

Edit: you might get handouts though, so you might want a portfolio to tuck those in, or at least a large enough purse than you can fold them up inside.
 
I hate to keep dragging up this portfolio issue, but I've read posts from several people that you should bring copies of your AMCAS and secondary to the interview, which would necessitate a folder of some sort. Is this really necessary? I was hoping I could get away with a purse and a small leather-bound notebook tucked inside of it for notes.
I took it as some people bring their secondary and AMCAS material with them traveling to the interview to review on the plane/hotel as to what info the school has about you, not bringing it to the actual interview.
 
Hmm, what kind of dark brown? Do you have a picture? I won't knock it til I see it. With dark brown, I think I'd do a burgundy/wine or cream top, not button up. Really has to be the right cream though...
So I am aiming for one of these pairs. ( Not as dark, as I originally thought)
http://www.dsw.com/shoe/lifestride+...ategory=cat20006&activeCats=cat10006,cat20006
2.
http://www.dsw.com/shoe/kelly+.and....ategory=cat20006&activeCats=cat10006,cat20006
3.
http://www.dsw.com/shoe/naturalizer...ategory=cat20006&activeCats=cat10006,cat20006

2nd pair is my personally favorite. ( they also have it in black)

Button-ups can gape, which tends to be awkward.
Personally, I would choose a sleeveless shell with a neckline at your collar bone or 1-2 inches below, avoiding V-neck styles because inadvertent cleavage.
It depends a lot on your complexion, but with navy I like plum or olive for darker complexions and light blue or even pale yellow for lighter complexions. Just please not red. You are not trying to be the president.
Also re: brown shoes. I know navy suits & brown shoes are a big thing in the world of men, but as a female, I'd pick black before brown but cordovan before black.

I am fairly light with dark brown hair. I love dark olive color( my favorite) and thought it would look good with brown shoes. Might be wrong, I am definitely not great in fashion. 😳
Thank you for the replies!
 
So I am aiming for one of these pairs. ( Not as dark, as I originally thought)
http://www.dsw.com/shoe/lifestride+...ategory=cat20006&activeCats=cat10006,cat20006
2.
http://www.dsw.com/shoe/kelly+.and....ategory=cat20006&activeCats=cat10006,cat20006
3.
http://www.dsw.com/shoe/naturalizer...ategory=cat20006&activeCats=cat10006,cat20006

2nd pair is my personally favorite. ( they also have it in black)



I am fairly light with dark brown hair. I love dark olive color( my favorite) and thought it would look good with brown shoes. Might be wrong, I am definitely not great in fashion. 😳
Thank you for the replies!
I would opt for an even darker brown than the options you've provided, especially darker than the tan or cognac, and darker than your suit. Black may be a safer choice. And I like olive!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would opt for an even darker brown than the options you've provided, especially darker than the tan or cognac, and darker than your suit. Black may be a safer choice. And I like olive!
Thank You!
I might just go with black, plus it would be easier to find a matching tote bag.
 
I hate to keep dragging up this portfolio issue, but I've read posts from several people that you should bring copies of your AMCAS and secondary to the interview, which would necessitate a folder of some sort. Is this really necessary? I was hoping I could get away with a purse and a small leather-bound notebook tucked inside of it for notes.
I can't imagine that you would be expected to bring these. I suppose anything is possible, though...