Women's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Another question: I have a two-day interview. Is it faux pas to wear the same thing both days?

Same suit is fine - smart even - but different shirts.

Love the purple suit @halcyonpage I'm even OK with the belt dangle since the rest of the outfit is discreet. Other suit might be fine - tho too dark to tell in the pic. What wasn't reading as professional was the necklace and coral bag. Great items -- just the wrong accessories for this interview.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm back with another question! Thank goodness for this thread!
I don't have a black purse to match my black shoes/grey suit combo, and with all the travel I'm doing for interviews I'm really strapped for cash. Do applicants really even need purses? Is it okay to just use a purse from TJMaxx, or does it have to be brand name? :/ I don't want to look tawdry but purses aren't cheap.

Also - that purple suit dress, OMG. You look amazing!

@DokterMom - your avatar always cracks me up. The Dowager Countess blessing us all with on-point fashion advice just makes sense!

Last edited:
I'm back with another question! Thank goodness for this thread!
I don't have a black purse to match my black shoes/grey suit combo, and with all the travel I'm doing for interviews I'm really strapped for cash. Do applicants really even need purses? Is it okay to just use a purse from TJMaxx, or does it have to be brand name? :/ I don't want to look tawdry but purses aren't cheap.

See earlier extended discussion about how it is not an absolute necessity to carry a purse.

But also, a regular old black purse from TJMaxx would be totally fine.

Reactions: 2 users
See earlier extended discussion about how it is not an absolute necessity to carry a purse.

But also, a regular old black purse from TJMaxx would be totally fine.

Whoops, must have missed that whole discussion. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
Whoops, must have missed that whole discussion. Thanks!

Don't worry about it. You didn't "miss" anything. It's just funny to me because that discussion was really inane and went on way longer than made sense.

Don't worry about it. You didn't "miss" anything. It's just funny to me because that discussion was really inane and went on way longer than made sense.
If only we'd been talking about murses.

Murse.

Murse? Had to Google that one. Did you mean man-purses or male nurses? Either way :p

Reactions: 4 users
Either way: thread enhanced.

I've seen actual interviewees use murses! Real snazzy ones actually. Maybe that answers my question in and of itself; if men can have purses and get in, I can probably get away with whatever purse I choose. :bored:

Man-purses are pretty common in Europe. They make a lot of sense actually, with so many guys carrying wallets, cell phones, Ipods, keys, etc. Lot of pocket lumps otherwise. (Though that may be strategic? :oops:)

Reactions: 9 users
Hi everyone, I'm hoping to get some input about the shirt I currently have for my suit. I'm not sure if the collar looks okay under the blazer/is white a good color, or should I get something more colorful? Thanks for any advice!
fbkdau.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
@formerphoenix
the purple suit is absolutely beautiful, you look very professional and sophisticated :happy:

Related: Would having braces (on teeth) be perceived as being immature (even subconsciously)?

Hi everyone, I'm hoping to get some input about the shirt I currently have for my suit. I'm not sure if the collar looks okay under the blazer/is white a good color, or should I get something more colorful? Thanks for any advice!

If the collar stays put, it's fine. If it doesn't, that would drive me crazy. If it would bother you, try again. And if you need to try again, then I would go for some color.

Related: Would having braces (on teeth) be perceived as being immature (even subconsciously)?

What are you going to do - take them off? Don't worry about what you can't control...

fbkdau.jpg
Get a shell.

If the collar stays put, it's fine. If it doesn't, that would drive me crazy. If it would bother you, try again. And if you need to try again, then I would go for some color.

What are you going to do - take them off? Don't worry about what you can't control...

Get a shell.

Thank you both for the advice. The collar is difficult to keep exactly in place, so I will start looking for a shell!

Thank you both for the advice. The collar is difficult to keep exactly in place, so I will start looking for a shell!
I would suggest something in a jewel tone for your skin, but probably a cooler shade. Maybe emerald, jade, or sapphire!

No, I don't have them yet.. Just thinking about getting them, but since it's interview season...

Have you looked into those invisible braces? (I don't know, maybe they're prohibitively expensive or something. It seems like something expensive.)

No, I don't have them yet.. Just thinking about getting them, but since it's interview season...
I've seen a 40 year old lawyer with braces (the regular ones, not invisalign). She looked amazing regardless of the braces.
Just have them use the transparent elastic things as opposed to the colorful ones (I still remember the day I decided having black and orange elastics in my mouth for Halloween was a brilliant idea).
Do you think you'd feel confident enough to interview with braces? If so, then it will be just fine.
Keep in mind you'll get cuts inside your mouth, you'll get headaches, so that may impact you a little.

Hello, I don't know if this was already discussed. If I am going to be wearing a pant suit, do I have to wear pantyhose? If yes, what color would look best with a grey suit?

Hello, I don't know if this was already discussed. If I am going to be wearing a pant suit, do I have to wear pantyhose? If yes, what color would look best with a grey suit?

I got this at Target.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 103
Hi! does anyone have advice for outerwear? A few interviews coming up in October and i feel that it's going to be ~60/65 degrees where I'll be interviewing! I'm afraid it will be cold if i only wear my suit :X

Hi! does anyone have advice for outerwear? A few interviews coming up in October and i feel that it's going to be ~60/65 degrees where I'll be interviewing! I'm afraid it will be cold if i only wear my suit :X
Even I who gets cold under 90 degrees can't imagine wearing a coat at 60-65 especially as you will be inside most of the time.

But if you feel you must, a professional appearing coat is best. No puffers, no short pea coats, no hoodies.

Something like this in black, grey or camel (even a nice red) is the goal (note that I am not saying you need to spend this kind of money or get his exact coat: just long, wool, elegant): http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/diane-v...ategoryid=0&fashionColor=Ruby&resultback=8440

being a little nit picky here, but is wine colored nailpolish OK?

Where are you from, the equator? 60-65 is perfect weather for a light jacket, which means your suit jacket will be fine. It might get chilly after sunset, but I doubt you'll be wandering around outside at night much during your interview. Most professional-looking coats are long and warm. You'd roast!

**Note: if you are actually from an equatorial region, my apologies. 60F must seem frigid to you. Where I live, Halloween costumes are designed to fit over winter coats.

If you don't have them already, I'd delay. After you're accepted, brace away...

being a little nit picky here, but is wine colored nailpolish OK?

No. Something virtually invisible, so clear or a light shell pink.

While even I who gets cold under 90 degrees, I can't imagine wearing a coat at 60-65 especially as you will be inside most of the time.

But if you feel you must, a professional appearing coat is best. No puffers, no short pea coats, no hoodies.

Something like this in black, grey or camel (even a nice red) is the goal (note that I am not saying you need to spend this kind of money or get his exact coat: just long, wool, elegant): http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/diane-v...ategoryid=0&fashionColor=Ruby&resultback=8440

HAha okay, maybe i'm just being overly cautious/paranoid about weather! I have a camel-colored wool trench that looks something like this https://migabynett.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/190bc30601607cdfa10b46b47fd76a227ccd6ded.jpg *in case* i feel that i need a coat, would this be acceptable over a navy suit? Thank you! :)

Is this bit of patent leather/bling too much? I am having the hardest time finding a merlot-ish heel that isn't all suede or patent...
WELL-BRED~625~AV1~508PX.JPG

Is this bit of patent leather/bling too much? I am having the hardest time finding a merlot-ish heel that isn't all suede or patent...

As far as "bling and patent" go, that's pretty mild. I'd say it's fine.

No. Something virtually invisible, so clear or a light shell pink.

Would a beige/nude color polish be okay? I was in a wedding this weekend and was treated to a gel mani by the bride and my interview is this week so I was hoping to keep it as it hasn't chipped yet and still looks great.

Would a beige/nude color polish be okay? I was in a wedding this weekend and was treated to a gel mani by the bride and my interview is this week so I was hoping to keep it as it hasn't chipped yet and still looks great.
That sounds fine.

Not interviewing til next year, just stalking. I'm loving the suggestions here. @Cotterpin I was literally just looking at that exact blue suit a couple days ago and wondering how 'professional' it was for this type of thing ;)

What is the consensus on how short hair must be to have it loose? My hair is halfway down my back, so I'm thinking way too long. Thing is, my hair is super fine and wispy, and every hairstyle I make has a million flywaways within a few minutes :( Anyone else have this problem? I'm blonde and I usually just have my hair loose so I don't look washed out/bald.
I'm at the point where I'm considering cutting it to just below my shoulders for interview season.

Let me begin with a list of new recommendations based on what we have seen so far:

No skin tight, neoprene dresses without jackets. Nipples should not be visualized even in outline.
No lace or sheer blouses (see above).
No giant logos on shoes or bags.
No tennis (sport) shoes, flip flops or boat shoes.
No Louboutin heels.
No chandelier earrings.
No thick cat's eye eyeliner in any color.
No mini-skirts.
No nail art.
No glitter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 11 users
Let me begin with a list of new recommendations based on what we have seen so far:

No skin tight, neoprene dresses without jackets. Nipples should not be visualized even in outline.
No lace or sheer blouses (see above).
No giant logos on shoes or bags.
No tennis (sport) shoes, flip flops or boat shoes.
No Louboutin heels.
No chandelier earrings.
No thick cat's eye eyeliner in any color.
No mini-skirts.
No nail art.
No glitter.

I. Just. Don't. Get. It. :wtf:

I. Just. Don't. Get. It. :wtf:
Yes. It's a terrible waste of a fine MCAT score.
At least I know that the offenders don't visit this site, so my anonymity is safe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 users
Not interviewing til next year, just stalking. I'm loving the suggestions here. @Cotterpin I was literally just looking at that exact blue suit a couple days ago and wondering how 'professional' it was for this type of thing ;)

What is the consensus on how short hair must be to have it loose? My hair is halfway down my back, so I'm thinking way too long. Thing is, my hair is super fine and wispy, and every hairstyle I make has a million flywaways within a few minutes :( Anyone else have this problem? I'm blonde and I usually just have my hair loose so I don't look washed out/bald.
I'm at the point where I'm considering cutting it to just below my shoulders for interview season.

Ya, my hair was halfway down my back and I'm terrible with hair so for this season, I got it cut 10 inches and now it's down to my shoulders (my collar bone).
So much easier to manage now & refreshing too!

Yes. It's a terrible waste of a fine MCAT score.
Just for the sake of parity, is there a short list of male interview outfit faux pas this cycle? I would love to read that.

@DokterMom I know you are not a big fan of flats for interview tours, but I would appreciate your opinion on this pair:

http://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/images/m/m6Ns1hLZX5qQGiSIRgkzcTw/s-l225.jpg
https://cdnb.lystit.com/photos/2013...-flats-giya-product-1-11692896-061087773.jpeg

Thanks for all of your help -- I appreciate all of your input on this thread.

Those look very nice, and @mehc012 the point makes it dressier. Not necessary to be quite that pointy -- but it's a "dress flat".

Yes. A gel mani is lovely. One of these days, I'll find the time to get one again...

Ya, my hair was halfway down my back and I'm terrible with hair so for this season, I got it cut 10 inches and now it's down to my shoulders (my collar bone).
So much easier to manage now & refreshing too!
Hm, I may just have to do that. What do people normally do with this type of hair? Sleek it down with gel or something?