Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Omg.I thought of you all this week when I got my shirt back from the tailor and they had only shortened one sleeve.
Over the years I've learned the importance of trying on your garment before you leave.
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Omg.I thought of you all this week when I got my shirt back from the tailor and they had only shortened one sleeve.
Omg.
Over the years I've learned the importance of trying on your garment before you leave.
Right, it's not frizzy when I do that, but it just looks messy like I didn't brush it (because I didn't). The bottom gets those perfect, natural curls I want but above my ears it looks like Medusa...it's so bad I can't wear it like that to work, nevermind an interview. I just need a way to make the top look brushed without the bottom frizzing out, and that's what seems to be impossible.
I have frizzy hair as well and use a little oil to tame the craziness. Have to be careful with any oil though, a little goes a long way, else it looks too oily for me. 😳Owner of unruly hair here (it's been described as "beautiful" or "wild", but not much else, which-as you might guess-is a bit disconcerting). To keep the waves and lose the frizz (without going flat), I use a touch of macadamia nut oil on damp hair and brush through. Air dry, usually in a wrapped bun (too lazy to do anything else). I don't typically bother brushing it after that. It's the only way my hair is even moderately respectable.
Also, why are more than half of women's blouses see-through??!![]()
Huge J Crew shopper here-I have several J Crew suits (I had a job that requires a suit most days). I wore one that was even lighter than heather grey to some hot weather interviews and got accepted. Heather grey itself seems pretty medium and totally acceptable to me. Only thing I would caution you on is if your shoulders are so broad maybe you want a less narrow style for the jacket? I'm not sure how to explain--their sizing is definitely unreliable and variable and a more feminine, fitted-cut jacket might also run small.Hey guys, long time lurker, I've read every post from 2015 (I don't think I can do all 85 pages). Does this suit look formal enough?
https://www.jcrew.com/womens_special_sizes/tall/suiting/PRD~C2191/C2191.jsp
https://www.jcrew.com/womens_special_sizes/tall/suiting/PRDOVR~E0544/E0544.jsp
In the heather flannel? I was thinking like a jade/emerald/dark greeny-teal-color-family shell? Looking at ebay pictures on real people it looks to be a medium to dark gray. Is one button a no go? Also if the pants are unlined I should wear pantyhose under right?
I've been looking for a charcoal suit but I'm 5'10" with linebacker shoulders and it's not looking like I can buy a suit in stores regardless of color. My skin tone looks a lot better in gray than black, but there don't appear to be any wool charcoal women's suits with tall sizing within my budget. Unless somebody knows of any? I already tried pendletons but they only have hip/waist/bust measurements online and when I called and asked about shoulder and inseam they were really confused what I even wanted to know. Also they're pretty expensive. I know I'm overthinking but if imma spend this much on fanciness I want it to look good.
All of the admissions offices I've talked to have directed me to the one near them and said it was no issue whatsoever, fwiw!A tip from my most recent interview: if you need to change for a long drive home, perhaps find a bathroom to change into your sweats that isn't on the same floor as the admissions office![]()
Oh good to know, the one girl I saw do this definitely got some strange looks from people. BUT if you're going straight to the airport I can def. understand not wanting to go in a full suit in heels 😛All of the admissions offices I've talked to have directed me to the one near them and said it was no issue whatsoever, fwiw!
Oh good to know, the one girl I saw do this definitely got some strange looks from people. BUT if you're going straight to the airport I can def. understand not wanting to go in a full suit in heels 😛
Oh good to know, the one girl I saw do this definitely got some strange looks from people. BUT if you're going straight to the airport I can def. understand not wanting to go in a full suit in heels 😛
Haha I did the same. Desperately avoided dipping my super nice suit jacket into the toilet.I changed in the airport bathroom.
My Super Duper Neuroticism led me to change in a McDonald's close by 😉I changed in the airport bathroom.
AND when you take your clothes on the plane, watch the garment bag closely! On my last flight, I kid you not, a man next to me had the exact same garment bag. We almost exchanged bags. Would have been a disaster!Devil's advocate here:
for those of you that check luggage (i.e., your suit, etc), there is a chance that the airline will lose/misplace/delay the arrival of your luggage. While I'm not recommending you wear your suit on the plane, you should wear something moderately presentable (i.e., not sweats) so if you have to interview in your flight clothes, you won't be embarrassed. Better yet, carry your suit/blouse/shoes etc. on the plane.
Its fine.Is this shirt color okay? Not too bold? I'm wearing a black pant suit. I'm interviewing at a conservative school...and I'm from California so we are pretty casual here. any tips?
![]()
You can try a chunkier heel or switch out your interview shoe for something that isn't quite flat but is made for walking longer distances.I have an interview coming up where the invite has written "Be prepared to do a lot of walking. Wear comfortable walking shoes."
A recent interviewer also commented that at his interview his phone recorded him walking over 5 miles....
What do I do since my suit is tailored for heels? I don't want my pants dragging to ground with flats, but I also doubt I can walk that far in heels.
Any suggestions?
Only a man would design a breast pocket -- What woman would put something there?
How to describe it? There are so many Shades of Grey...![]()
OK - If it's light enough to be nail polish, it's too light. If it's dark enough to be eyeliner, it's fine.
If it's light enough that you could wear it in the summer, it's too light.
OK - using SDN's formatting bar -- On the underlined A above, the first grey is too light. The second is OK. Third is really charcoal.
Not DM either but I'll disagree.Im not DM but I'll respond.
Yes. too light.
I personally think they're fine as long as they really are nude and not lighter than your skin color.@wingedscapula - are nude pumps generally frowned upon (since they are obviously lighter than all suits)? Not in the winter obviously but in summer/spring? I dress very conservatively for work and nude pumps are totally fine, even for important meetings, so how about for med school interviews? I don't like black pumps and don't even think I own a pair.
I personally think they're fine as long as they really are nude and not lighter than your skin color.
You don't need to necessarily wear black shoes with a gray suit; a nice dark gray shoe can be very flattering or of course my classic recommendation is the Cordovan or Merlot which I think looks wonderful with gray.
It wouldn't be too matchy!Thanks! My purse is actually merlot so it would be a bit too matchy to wear merlot shoes.
I'm thinking for summer/fall interviews, I'll wear nude pumps (definitely darker than my skin, I'm pretty pale), charcoal skirt suit, cream shell, and merlot purse. For winter interviews, I'll switch to a black sheath dress suit so as to match my black boots. Again, with a merlot purse to add a pop of color. Can you tell I love this purse, lol!
Sorry- I'm very much a New York girl and sometimes forget that the rest of the country exists 🙂
Thanks! My purse is actually merlot so it would be a bit too matchy to wear merlot shoes.
I'm thinking for summer/fall interviews, I'll wear nude pumps (definitely darker than my skin, I'm pretty pale), charcoal skirt suit, cream shell, and merlot purse. For winter interviews, I'll switch to a black sheath dress suit so as to match my black boots. Again, with a merlot purse to add a pop of color. Can you tell I love this purse, lol!
I find that this is a generational thing; most of us who came of age before the millennium were raised that your shoes, purse and belt should match (as should your pedicure and manicure). So there is nothing wrong with being "matchy matchy", as a matter of fact, it is considered more formal, more professional and therefore, preferable.
BOOTS?
Please no.
Big no.Boots are really such a big no? I mean, like the tall, classy, professional ones that I wear to work? So what should I wear if it's snowing?
Change your shoes when you get in!Boots are really such a big no? I mean, like the tall, classy, professional ones that I wear to work? So what should I wear if it's snowing?
Hopefully you savvy folks can help me out with shoe sizing. I picked up some basic black pumps for upcoming job interviews and next year's application cycle.
I'm a size 8 in flats for this brand. The 8's fit perfectly in the toes but are loose in the back: I can squeeze one finger in and if I try, I can make them come off while walking. The 7.5's are great in the back but very snug in the toes...I'm not sure if I'd be able to last an active day in them.
Advice? Would inserts in the back fill in enough space? I'm gun shy because I thought I could swing the tightness in a previous pair of heels, but I really can't. Attaching some photos, though you can't see too well (sorry!).
Hopefully you savvy folks can help me out with shoe sizing. I picked up some basic black pumps for upcoming job interviews and next year's application cycle.
I'm a size 8 in flats for this brand. The 8's fit perfectly in the toes but are loose in the back: I can squeeze one finger in and if I try, I can make them come off while walking. The 7.5's are great in the back but very snug in the toes...I'm not sure if I'd be able to last an active day in them.
Advice? Would inserts in the back fill in enough space? I'm gun shy because I thought I could swing the tightness in a previous pair of heels, but I really can't. Attaching some photos, though you can't see too well (sorry!).
Hopefully you savvy folks can help me out with shoe sizing. I picked up some basic black pumps for upcoming job interviews and next year's application cycle.
I'm a size 8 in flats for this brand. The 8's fit perfectly in the toes but are loose in the back: I can squeeze one finger in and if I try, I can make them come off while walking. The 7.5's are great in the back but very snug in the toes...I'm not sure if I'd be able to last an active day in them.
Advice? Would inserts in the back fill in enough space? I'm gun shy because I thought I could swing the tightness in a previous pair of heels, but I really can't. Attaching some photos, though you can't see too well (sorry!).
Like @gyngyn notes, they are a big "no". I'm sure the ones you wear are lovely but they are not considered professional or formal enough for this event.Interesting, I normally wouldn't match my shoes to my purse, I guess it really is a generational thing!
Boots are really such a big no? I mean, like the tall, classy, professional ones that I wear to work? So what should I wear if it's snowing?
Flying red eye to an interview is always a stress fest. 🙁I've changed near admissions, twice, and then waited in my street clothes in the lobby for other interviewees to change/finish interviewing so that we could split cab fare to the airport. The only comments I ever got from admissions about it were "if you need to change before you leave, the bathrooms are over there" and "don't worry; nobody is going to judge you on your airport outfit".
Seriously. Just ordered myself a bright blue fake fur jacket that no, I will never wear to an interview, but I am psyched to wear it when it arrives!Saw a gorgeous deep plum suit at the mall today. I wouldn't have the guts to wear it to an interview, but perhaps for work...wonder what color shoes would match 😉
Saw a gorgeous deep plum suit at the mall today. I wouldn't have the guts to wear it to an interview, but perhaps for work...wonder what color shoes would match 😉

Our mission is to provide students with free, unbiased information, resources, and advising for careers in the health professions. We believe every student deserves access to trustworthy guidance, regardless of background or ability to pay.