Women's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all,

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but my interview is coming up next week and after reading through forum suggestions, I am super nervous about my hair! I teach using cadavers and do research with mice so my hair is always short to minimize the icky. At the moment it is chin-length and I have straight across bangs. I've had bangs of some type since starting college and can't imagine pinning them back. Am I going to be docked for "hiding behind my hair?"

I was planning to wear it straight and neat. Possibly tucked behind my ears to show more face.

Any advice is greatly appreciated! I don't have time to do much about it unfortunately, so I am wondering if anyone else on the interview trail has seen bangs work for interviewees.

Thanks & all my best!
 
Hi all,

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but my interview is coming up next week and after reading through forum suggestions, I am super nervous about my hair! I teach using cadavers and do research with mice so my hair is always short to minimize the icky. At the moment it is chin-length and I have straight across bangs. I've had bangs of some type since starting college and can't imagine pinning them back. Am I going to be docked for "hiding behind my hair?"

I was planning to wear it straight and neat. Possibly tucked behind my ears to show more face.

Any advice is greatly appreciated! I don't have time to do much about it unfortunately, so I am wondering if anyone else on the interview trail has seen bangs work for interviewees.

Thanks & all my best!

Whatever you do with it, just make sure you won't be fussing with it. As long as it doesn't cover your eyes, I can't imagine bangs being a problem!
 
Hi all,

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but my interview is coming up next week and after reading through forum suggestions, I am super nervous about my hair! I teach using cadavers and do research with mice so my hair is always short to minimize the icky. At the moment it is chin-length and I have straight across bangs. I've had bangs of some type since starting college and can't imagine pinning them back. Am I going to be docked for "hiding behind my hair?"

I was planning to wear it straight and neat. Possibly tucked behind my ears to show more face.

Any advice is greatly appreciated! I don't have time to do much about it unfortunately, so I am wondering if anyone else on the interview trail has seen bangs work for interviewees.

Thanks & all my best!
Straight and neat is fine, so are bangs, as long as your eyes are visible.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Okay team, let's talk about what you wear for the following occasions:

1) giant, important scholarship interview that you really need, and

2) second look.

Suits? Business attire? Something in between?


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
 
Okay team, let's talk about what you wear for the following occasions:

1) giant, important scholarship interview that you really need, and

2) second look.

Suits? Business attire? Something in between?

1. Full suit
2. I probably wouldn't go full business casual, but still something professional/polished. I would probably do something similar to what I wore for a pre-interview event, which was a turtleneck, pointed toe flats, a blazer, and these cropped slacks:
93edd6abdd0a9b69b44a20567979b989.jpg
 
Hi!
Having my long hair up really doesn't suit me, so I think I'm going to trim it shorter, come interview season. I have very fine straight blonde hair that I never really style aside from combing and parting

What is the longest length I can have and still have my hair out and loose?

Would a length like this be appropriate with a suit? Could I go longer?
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/a1/24/20/a12420115d4414824a05cdc316ad6224.jpg
 
Hi!
Having my long hair up really doesn't suit me, so I think I'm going to trim it shorter, come interview season. I have very fine straight blonde hair that I never really style aside from combing and parting

What is the longest length I can have and still have my hair out and loose?

Would a length like this be appropriate with a suit? Could I go longer?
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/a1/24/20/a12420115d4414824a05cdc316ad6224.jpg

I have longer hair than that and just wore it down tucked behind my ears so I wouldn't fuss with it. I would say my hair goes as far as mid back. As long as it is neat and tidy, I don't think you would have to pull it back or cut it unless it goes down to your lower back or something.
 
I have longer hair than that and just wore it down tucked behind my ears so I wouldn't fuss with it. I would say my hair goes as far as mid back. As long as it is neat and tidy, I don't think you would have to pull it back or cut it unless it goes down to your lower back or something.
I have hair that ranges from my waist to just below my shoulder blades, depending on when I last cut it. Good to know that having hair loose is ok and clearly worked for you 😀
 
What color is your suit?

I have two. One is a charcoal gray skirt suit and one is actually a dress suit and is black (though I have a tendency to roll up the sleeves when I wear it to work so the insides show a bit...white with subtle black stripes).
 
With charcoal and/or black, black shoes would be the more conventional choice. @Winged Scapula - What do you think? Would a 'dark nude' work for summer?
 
I have hair that ranges from my waist to just below my shoulder blades, depending on when I last cut it. Good to know that having hair loose is ok and clearly worked for you 😀
Loose hair is fine but you have to be careful with "tousled" hair like in the picture above; it can look messy or even "bedroom" to some.

I think a "dark nude" can work with a charcoal suit or even black as long as the hose match and the shoes match the skin tone, creating a long line. However, black is more conventional. You don't want to distract from your face, so keep most of the "interest" above the chest/neck.

Did y'all know that you should put name tags on your right side? That way when someone is shaking your hand, they are looking at your name tag there (as I sit here in scrubs with my tag on the left breast pocket). learned that recently at one of those "Toastmaster" sorts of things.
 
That's what I was thinking on the shoes; glad to know we're in sync on that.

Only problem with name tags on the right is if you carry a purse with a strap that goes there... But yeah, that's the rule.
 
With charcoal and/or black, black shoes would be the more conventional choice. @Winged Scapula - What do you think? Would a 'dark nude' work for summer?


Loose hair is fine but you have to be careful with "tousled" hair like in the picture above; it can look messy or even "bedroom" to some.

I think a "dark nude" can work with a charcoal suit or even black as long as the hose match and the shoes match the skin tone, creating a long line. However, black is more conventional. You don't want to distract from your face, so keep most of the "interest" above the chest/neck.

Did y'all know that you should put name tags on your right side? That way when someone is shaking your hand, they are looking at your name tag there (as I sit here in scrubs with my tag on the left breast pocket). learned that recently at one of those "Toastmaster" sorts of things.

I was thinking it's not as typical as black shoes but I have always had an aversion to black shoes with nude hose.

I am a queen of matching nude hose to skin because my ultra conservative mother made me wear them on a regular basis since I was a preteen 🙂

I think I'm going to keep everything else super conventional and this will be my one "thing". I can always change it up after my first interview if it feels too out of place.

Thank you both!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was thinking it's not as typical as black shoes but I have always had an aversion to black shoes with nude hose.

I am a queen of matching nude hose to skin because my ultra conservative mother made me wear them on a regular basis since I was a preteen 🙂

I think I'm going to keep everything else super conventional and this will be my one "thing". I can always change it up after my first interview if it feels too out of place.

Thank you both!
If you want to step a little outside the box have you been considered maybe a reptile print, a dark charcoal gray or maybe even a burgundy shoe? I do you think those would look better than the nude and would be quite stylish but without being over-the-top.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
 
If you want to step a little outside the box have you been considered maybe a reptile print, a dark charcoal gray or maybe even a burgundy shoe? I do you think those would look better than the nude and would be quite stylish but without being over-the-top.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Hmm, I thought any texture/print for shoes would be a definite no. If it's okay, then that sounds fantastic.
 
Be careful, though, I think @Winged Scapula is referring more to a texture than a print. Big difference between a snakeskin texture and a leopard (or any other animal) print heel!
Exactly.

Everything must be seen within context. This thread, as well as the men's, it's about the safest, most conservative and appropriate choices.

We have recommended no texture or embellishment because the minute we do, the less fashion savvy will break out a pair of printed leopard fabric pumps or some fake Rockstuds.

But for those who are more comfortable and or perhaps older, a little bit of flair is fine and perhaps even more expected and appropriate. So while we would almost always defer to the safest and most conservative choice (because those who are not comfortable wearing more stylish things will find that that is a parent and can be an interview killer). A muted color pair classic snakeskin pumps is perfectly acceptable on the right person.




Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
 
Exactly.

Everything must be seen within context. This thread, as well as the men's, it's about the safest, most conservative and appropriate choices.

We have recommended no texture or embellishment because the minute we do, the less fashion savvy will break out a pair of printed leopard fabric pumps or some fake Rockstuds.

But for those who are more comfortable and or perhaps older, a little bit of flair is fine and perhaps even more expected and appropriate. So while we would almost always defer to the safest and most conservative choice (because those who are not comfortable wearing more stylish things will find that that is a parent and can be an interview killer). A muted color pair classic snakeskin pumps is perfectly acceptable on the right person.




Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Absolutely. I had been thinking something like this was even too much:

ImageUploadedBySDN1456270928.288288.jpg


I'm 27 and have been working in the corporate world for a while so in general, my instinct has usually been on target there. But this medical school interview world is much more conservative than what I'm used to on a daily basis.

I'm just trying to figure things out ahead of time since I'm going to be slammed this summer and won't have the time to do any major shopping then.
 
Last edited:
Absolutely. I had been thinking something like this was even too much:

View attachment 200724

I'm 27 and have been working in the corporate world for a while so in general, my instinct has usually been on target there. But this medical school interview world is much more conservative than what I'm used to on a daily basis.

I'm just trying to figure things out ahead of time since I'm going to be slammed this summer and won't have the time to do any major shopping then.

I don't think that shoe is too much, it looks appropriate to me. I went with a total granny heel because I was scared of looking "trendy" but I wish I had seen that when I was shopping, I would have picked it up.
 
I don't think that shoe is too much, it looks appropriate to me. I went with a total granny heel because I was scared of looking "trendy" but I wish I had seen that when I was shopping, I would have picked it up.

It's just hard for me to determine what's conservative enough vs not since I have zero experience in this arena - I feel like once I've been on my first interview, I'll be able to figure out for subsequent interviews.

I think I am going to get something similar to this though either way - I can always wear them to work so it's not like they'll be wasted.
 
Hi everyone! Does this suit color look okay or should I go with a more traditional navy? I really like this one and think it would be good with my skin tone
http://www.thelimited.com/indigo-le...&start=26&prefv1=Grey&prefv2=regular&ppid=c26

And would burgundy shoes be decent with this or is that too much? I can't picture how to match shoes and a shell.

Personally, I think that's a great color. I think burgundy would be a bit odd though; i'd probably go black for shoes.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
 
Hi everyone! Does this suit color look okay or should I go with a more traditional navy? I really like this one and think it would be good with my skin tone
http://www.thelimited.com/indigo-le...&start=26&prefv1=Grey&prefv2=regular&ppid=c26

And would burgundy shoes be decent with this or is that too much? I can't picture how to match shoes and a shell.
The color of the suit is lovely but it would depend on the quality of the fabric. It's easy to hide inexpensive fabric and or poor tailoring with a dark color. Otherwise I think it would be fine if you feel comfortable in it.

For those stepping outside the "black suit white button front blouse" box, you have to ask yourself how comfortable you would feel knowing that you'll probably be the only one doing so. For some of us that's a confidence builder; others will feel much more awkward and out of place.

Finally depending on the true shade of the suit I would lean toward gray or charcoal shoes, blouse, and silver accessories.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
 
What is the general consensus with panty hose? Should we wear them? Or are we fine without? (if we are planning on wearing a dress/skirt)
 
Wow, I've been off SDN for a while! Fortunately, I'm now in the happy position of having two MD/PhD offers to pick between. I was so thankful for this thread when I was shopping for interview attire, and I definitely felt like my clothing was appropriate and flattering. Does anyone have advice for second look days? Is business casual (slacks and blouse or sweater) appropriate?
 
Hi everyone! Does this suit color look okay or should I go with a more traditional navy? I really like this one and think it would be good with my skin tone
http://www.thelimited.com/indigo-lexie-collection-simply-straight-pants-&-two-button-jacket/january16_suit_05.html?cgid=suits&prefn1=colorFamily&prefn2=saleStatus&start=26&prefv1=Grey&prefv2=regular&ppid=c26
And would burgundy shoes be decent with this or is that too much? I can't picture how to match shoes and a shell.

My roommate in med school bought probably this exact suit (or something very similar, I believe it was from the limited as well) for residency interviews. I loved it on her. I would go with black shoes though, think they'd match better.
 
Wow, I've been off SDN for a while! Fortunately, I'm now in the happy position of having two MD/PhD offers to pick between. I was so thankful for this thread when I was shopping for interview attire, and I definitely felt like my clothing was appropriate and flattering. Does anyone have advice for second look days? Is business casual (slacks and blouse or sweater) appropriate?

Generally, yes. But do ask the program coordinator.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello, everyone!

I'm doing an interview at my undergrad institution as part of the committee letter process, and they recommend wearing an outfit you plan to wear for interviews. Could you give me some advice?

JACKET: http://www.express.com/clothing/women/pixel-print-jacket-and-editor-ankle-pant-suit/ens/cat2430018
SKIRT: http://www.express.com/clothing/wom...etch-midi-pencil-skirt/pro/7686372/cat1910070
SHIRT: http://www.express.com/clothing/women/vtoneck-ruffle-sleeve-blouse/pro/6473232/cat1920059 (In the berry color)

What do you guys think of this outfit? Is it too busy? I know it sort of veers away from the black/gray/navy trend.

I really love this jacket. And I think it looks nice with the plain black, knee length skirt (second link) and the red shirt (third link - berry color). I'm fairly busty and I look absolutely terrrrrriiiiible in button-up shirts, and this shirt is very flattering and it doesn't show any cleavage. Everyone I've shown really likes it, but I don't know if it is too much for a med school interview. I am also planning on wearing plain black pumps like the ones in the first link.

I already bought these things, just trying to decide whether to return them and get something more classic. I feel really blah in the matching jacket/pants/skirt combos, but I also don't wanna look crazy.

Thanks! 🙂
 
Hello, everyone!

I'm doing an interview at my undergrad institution as part of the committee letter process, and they recommend wearing an outfit you plan to wear for interviews. Could you give me some advice?

JACKET: http://www.express.com/clothing/women/pixel-print-jacket-and-editor-ankle-pant-suit/ens/cat2430018
SKIRT: http://www.express.com/clothing/wom...etch-midi-pencil-skirt/pro/7686372/cat1910070
SHIRT: http://www.express.com/clothing/women/vtoneck-ruffle-sleeve-blouse/pro/6473232/cat1920059 (In the berry color)

What do you guys think of this outfit? Is it too busy? I know it sort of veers away from the black/gray/navy trend.

I really love this jacket. And I think it looks nice with the plain black, knee length skirt (second link) and the red shirt (third link - berry color). I'm fairly busty and I look absolutely terrrrrriiiiible in button-up shirts, and this shirt is very flattering and it doesn't show any cleavage. Everyone I've shown really likes it, but I don't know if it is too much for a med school interview. I am also planning on wearing plain black pumps like the ones in the first link.

I already bought these things, just trying to decide whether to return them and get something more classic. I feel really blah in the matching jacket/pants/skirt combos, but I also don't wanna look crazy.

Thanks! 🙂

It's really cute, but a matching suit is expected for medical school interviews. Although, based on my interview experiences, you would not be the most casually dressed applicant in that outfit! Still, better not to risk sticking out in a bad way. I would also make sure the shirt is not sheer and that it doesn't gape at the chest when you lean forward (the neckline looks like it could be a little low).
 
Hello, everyone!

I'm doing an interview at my undergrad institution as part of the committee letter process, and they recommend wearing an outfit you plan to wear for interviews. Could you give me some advice?

JACKET: http://www.express.com/clothing/women/pixel-print-jacket-and-editor-ankle-pant-suit/ens/cat2430018
SKIRT: http://www.express.com/clothing/wom...etch-midi-pencil-skirt/pro/7686372/cat1910070
SHIRT: http://www.express.com/clothing/women/vtoneck-ruffle-sleeve-blouse/pro/6473232/cat1920059 (In the berry color)

What do you guys think of this outfit? Is it too busy? I know it sort of veers away from the black/gray/navy trend.

I really love this jacket. And I think it looks nice with the plain black, knee length skirt (second link) and the red shirt (third link - berry color). I'm fairly busty and I look absolutely terrrrrriiiiible in button-up shirts, and this shirt is very flattering and it doesn't show any cleavage. Everyone I've shown really likes it, but I don't know if it is too much for a med school interview. I am also planning on wearing plain black pumps like the ones in the first link.

I already bought these things, just trying to decide whether to return them and get something more classic. I feel really blah in the matching jacket/pants/skirt combos, but I also don't wanna look crazy.

Thanks! 🙂

As someone who loves fashion I think that outfit seems like it would be super cute, but I really hate to say it but unfortunately it's not medical school or residency interviews appropriate.
 
As someone who loves fashion I think that outfit seems like it would be super cute, but I really hate to say it but unfortunately it's not medical school or residency interviews appropriate.
Alas, y'all are probably right. I wore it to my interview thing at my undergrad and they all said it was fine for interviews, but when the time comes, it's probably safer to go more traditional. Thanks! I do love this outfit though.
 
Just a quick post to let you guys know that Macy's is having an awesome sale on suits right now. I got an extra backup for about $100- Calvin Klein, charcoal gray and the only alteration needed is to hem the sleeves. Usually coupons and sales don't apply to these suits since they're everyday values or whatever Macy's calls them, but this sale applies to them!

I ordered on Tuesday night with free standard shipping and my package arrived today, so pretty fast. The skirt ran somewhat small so I went up one size. For the blazer, I ordered two styles - one button vs two button. I personally like the look of one button better in general but in this case, the one button ran larger and longer and simply overwhelmed my frame (5'3 here), so I'm going to keep the two button (in my regular size).

Just letting y'all know in case you're on the lookout for an inexpensive suit that is relatively good quality!
 
I have a black suit, but I feel like I look like I'm going to a funeral, even with a colored shirt. I have some nice grey dress pants that I think go really well with my black jacket, but I was wondering if it would be better to match my pants and jacket, or if contrast is ok? I want to stand out, but in a good way
 
I have a black suit, but I feel like I look like I'm going to a funeral, even with a colored shirt. I have some nice grey dress pants that I think go really well with my black jacket, but I was wondering if it would be better to match my pants and jacket, or if contrast is ok? I want to stand out, but in a good way
The color and fabric of the jacket and trouser should match perfectly.
 
I don't know if its appropriate to post it here, but what do you wear to a white coat ceremony? If the dress is knee length with a small slit, is that too cocktail attire-y?
 
I don't know if its appropriate to post it here, but what do you wear to a white coat ceremony? If the dress is knee length with a small slit, is that too cocktail attire-y?
I would say if it is a slip dress style that is strapless or has only thin straps then yeah - too cocktail attire-y.
 
I don't know if its appropriate to post it here, but what do you wear to a white coat ceremony? If the dress is knee length with a small slit, is that too cocktail attire-y?
Most women wear dresses above the knee, this is sort of a party, and most dresses are more dressy, not professional, more cocktaily.
I've looked at Med Schools photos of white coat ceremonies (and have been to a few myself), and this seems to be a time to have fun,
but not too much cleavage, or too short a dress. Enjoy the day!!
 
Hi, a couple of quick questions! 🙂

I wear five earrings in one ear (one cartilage piercing, no gauges) and 2 in the other. For interviews should I only wear one pair of earrings? Will it look weird to have all the empty piercings? I usually just wear very small studs. I'm assuming I should take them out, it just looks super odd without them to me.

I'm very curvy, with a fairly small waist. So far I have only found outfits that either look kind of inappropriate or are incredibly unflattering (to the point that salespeople and friends I am shopping with take one look and say no). Anyone have any suggestions for outfits? Should I just buy something too large and get it tailored?
 
Hi, a couple of quick questions! 🙂

I wear five earrings in one ear (one cartilage piercing, no gauges) and 2 in the other. For interviews should I only wear one pair of earrings? Will it look weird to have all the empty piercings? I usually just wear very small studs. I'm assuming I should take them out, it just looks super odd without them to me.

I'm very curvy, with a fairly small waist. So far I have only found outfits that either look kind of inappropriate or are incredibly unflattering (to the point that salespeople and friends I am shopping with take one look and say no). Anyone have any suggestions for outfits? Should I just buy something too large and get it tailored?
Place a single non-dangling earring in the lobe of each ear. Nobody will care about the unused holes.
Find a charcoal or navy suit that fits everything but your waist and have it tailored.
 
First off, this thread is amazing. Also, how much will not wearing heels be looked down upon? I bought some really nice Ann Taylor cordovan heels (brand new off eBay for $20, score!), but I just twisted my ankle that had an old rugby injury. My interview's not until September, so it should be fine, but if on the off chance it's not better by then, am I allowed to wear my wine-colored flats instead?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
First off, this thread is amazing. Also, how much will not wearing heels be looked down upon? I bought some really nice Ann Taylor cordovan heels (brand new off eBay for $20, score!), but I just twisted my ankle that had an old rugby injury. My interview's not until September, so it should be fine, but if on the off chance it's not better by then, am I allowed to wear my wine-colored flats instead?
Are the original heels high? Perhaps you can find a shorter heel to wear, rather than a flat, if your ankle hasn't healed by September. I do think women look much more "adult" with heels!
 
First off, this thread is amazing. Also, how much will not wearing heels be looked down upon? I bought some really nice Ann Taylor cordovan heels (brand new off eBay for $20, score!), but I just twisted my ankle that had an old rugby injury. My interview's not until September, so it should be fine, but if on the off chance it's not better by then, am I allowed to wear my wine-colored flats instead?
I wore a wedge that was thin enough that it appeared like a heel from most angles (and on a nice enough shoe that no one really bothered to look that hard. It was a pretty short heel, and very stable, but just high enough that it looked professional.
 
Are the original heels high? Perhaps you can find a shorter heel to wear, rather than a flat, if your ankle hasn't healed by September. I do think women look much more "adult" with heels!

They're relatively high (3 inches), but they're outfitted with a bunch of "comfort measures" (gel pads, moleskin, and anti-slip pads)...I'm just worried because the last time I tweaked it this bad I ended up unable to wear heels for about 6 months without heavy ankle PT. I'm going to try to figure something out though!

I wore a wedge that was thin enough that it appeared like a heel from most angles (and on a nice enough shoe that no one really bothered to look that hard. It was a pretty short heel, and very stable, but just high enough that it looked professional.

Hm, I might have to try that. It's more the angle of my foot not being flat that hurts (I tore a bunch of ligaments from being dropped during a line-out) more than the actual fact of putting the weight on the balls of my foot, but maybe a wedge would help some. I'll try it!
 
So thoughts on this shirt underneath either a corresponding navy or dark grey suit? Too loud, or considering that only a small part would show, would the darkness of the suit balance it out?
 

Attachments

  • BR top.jpg
    BR top.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 258
I feel weird with the empty holes (haha guys, you know this about me and that I'd have to make joke here), and I would just have one pair of main earrings that are conservative, and then fill the rest with matching and fairly plain studs. You can do it gyngyn's way, but if you're like me and feel more confident not being mismatched that's OK.

I have 3 in one ear and 2 in the other. Not an issue ever in having earrings in all of them I felt.