You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Women's Interview Clothing #3!
Started by Geekchick921
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I'm still looking for comfy heels! mind posting a pic? 😉
These are amazing - http://www.rockport.com/total-motio...l?dwvar_tmmelorapump_color=tmmelorapump_black
Wore them to a wedding and danced for 3 hours without dying - and I never wear heels so that is saying something!
I'm still looking for comfy heels! mind posting a pic? 😉
http://www.clarksusa.com/us/womens-...ive-air/tempt-appeal-black-leather/p/26062332
Here's the link to the shoes I got. Judging by the reviews, it looks like they work for a lot of people.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thoughts on pantsuit instead of skirt? These pants made me feel great http://www.anntaylor.com/ann-all-se...olor=6600&colorExplode=false&catid=cata000013
Not sure if it makes a difference but I am definitely "curvy" and have a very hourglass figure.
Not sure if it makes a difference but I am definitely "curvy" and have a very hourglass figure.
Thoughts on pantsuit instead of skirt? These pants made me feel great http://www.anntaylor.com/ann-all-se...olor=6600&colorExplode=false&catid=cata000013
Not sure if it makes a difference but I am definitely "curvy" and have a very hourglass figure.
Same situation (I have hips) + I'm super tall.. However, I've never felt comfortable in dresses/skirts that I'll feel the need to pull down all day. Go with whatever you feel most comfortable in. You'll be more confident in your interview if you are. I picked an Ann Taylor suit also!
Thoughts on pantsuit instead of skirt? These pants made me feel great http://www.anntaylor.com/ann-all-se...olor=6600&colorExplode=false&catid=cata000013
Not sure if it makes a difference but I am definitely "curvy" and have a very hourglass figure.
Same shape here and those are the exact pants I bought 🙂
@Chishiki that looks totally fine. No one will notice.
As for me, I wore a simple well-fitted black skirt suit with a fun blouse and black heels. Seemed to work lol I got in.
As for me, I wore a simple well-fitted black skirt suit with a fun blouse and black heels. Seemed to work lol I got in.
I got these in black leather:
http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/.....$$1622049~xcm_srcCatID~z26481~xcm_pos~zPos4
I've only worn them around the apartment so far, but they seem pretty comfortable!
http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/.....$$1622049~xcm_srcCatID~z26481~xcm_pos~zPos4
I've only worn them around the apartment so far, but they seem pretty comfortable!
ok![]()
how are these? ok? too stylish?
Any thoughts on a high waisted pencil skirt for a petite woman? Does it read as too trendy?
Sounds like it.Any thoughts on a high waisted pencil skirt for a petite woman? Does it read as too trendy?
😳 Ok, thanks!Sounds like it.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think it's really nice!Is this pattern subtle enough to wear with a black suit for interviews?
This is the blazer I have that I have worn to other things
http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=1053764&vid=1&pid=258259002 (but i wouldn't wear it all scrunched up)
If it doesn't cover all of my arm (leaves like three inches but it still looks fine... I could wear a watch or a simple bracelet?)...is it OK to wear to interviews with an appropriate top, grey pants and heels? Or does my entire arm have to covered?
http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=1053764&vid=1&pid=258259002 (but i wouldn't wear it all scrunched up)
If it doesn't cover all of my arm (leaves like three inches but it still looks fine... I could wear a watch or a simple bracelet?)...is it OK to wear to interviews with an appropriate top, grey pants and heels? Or does my entire arm have to covered?
what do you mean by "ballet flats"?Cannot be ballet flats! You can wear flats though. Just need to look and find some that are professional.
You could pop over to the podiatry forum and ask for some suggestions.
I say this as someone who has medical things and can't wear heels. It's never held me back.
how does this outfit seem except the shirt inside would be a blue or purple t-shirt?
http://www.anntaylor.com/all-season...olor=6600&colorExplode=false&catid=cata000013
http://www.anntaylor.com/all-season...olor=6600&colorExplode=false&catid=cata000013
Even a tiny heel is better than flats.Is it okay to wear black flats instead of heels? I don't think I am about the heel life...
Flats tend to make one appear juvenile.
fine.how does this outfit seem except the shirt inside would be a blue or purple t-shirt?
http://www.anntaylor.com/all-season...olor=6600&colorExplode=false&catid=cata000013
A shell is actually better (no buttons that lead to gaposis).Is the shirt under your suit jacket suppose to have collars?
Men's collared shirts look tidy because the tie holds the collar in place. Without a tie, collared shirts on women are prone to asymmetric rumpling and revealing glimpses of one's undergarments.
Thoughts on this suit? Would the texture be ok?
https://www.reiss.com/us/p/tailroed-pencil-skirt-womens-remi-in-grey-blue/?category_id=11008
https://www.reiss.com/us/p/tailroed-pencil-skirt-womens-remi-in-grey-blue/?category_id=11008
Too light, too much going on.Thoughts on this suit? Would the texture be ok?
https://www.reiss.com/us/p/tailroed-pencil-skirt-womens-remi-in-grey-blue/?category_id=11008
I think it looks cute! I would however stay on the simple dark color/gray side for the interview...that's the only thing about you that you don't want to stand out in and honestly you don't know what adcom people are thinking! I'd be on the safe sideThoughts on this suit? Would the texture be ok?
https://www.reiss.com/us/p/tailroed-pencil-skirt-womens-remi-in-grey-blue/?category_id=11008
I love love love The Limited suits! yea they're on the pricey side but they are so nice , comfy, classy, and will last for so long especially since we'll be wearing suits for the future! And they have so many options to choose from without worrying whether they'd be interview appropriate or not
Here's the link: http://www.thelimited.com/womens-clothing/suits?navid=top
Even a tiny heel is better than flats.
Flats tend to make one appear juvenile.
🙁 They make my feet hurt though!! Is it acceptable to wear flats during like say the tour and change into heels for the actual interview?
When I say tiny, I mean a centimeter.🙁 They make my feet hurt though!! Is it acceptable to wear flats during like say the tour and change into heels for the actual interview?
Is it okay to wear black flats instead of heels? I don't think I am about the heel life...
google it to get a feel for what they look like
I don't think your shoes need a heel as much as a thick sole so they're not too flat, if that makes any sense
where as much heel as you can without it being excruciating
for me, that was a pair of flats that had a thick sole
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
also do we need to wear some kinda socks thing under the flats or is the skin showing from the flats considered okay?google it to get a feel for what they look like
I don't think your shoes need a heel as much as a thick sole so they're not too flat, if that makes any sense
where as much heel as you can without it being excruciating
for me, that was a pair of flats that had a thick sole
also do we need to wear some kinda socks thing under the flats or is the skin showing from the flats considered okay?
I wore knee high hose that matched my skin tone. I don't believe in going without them but that could just be me. I saw other candidates go with skin.
I do know that you can never be wrong with hose. There are certainly time you can go wrong without. So I use I err on the side of hose for that reason.
Hey Everyone! Just wondering if I could get some advice. I have a charcoal gray Calvin Klein skirt suit from Macy's as well as some black, pointed toe pumps. I have a white shell to go underneath, but I want something that's a little more colorful. What color would look the best? Also, what color purse should I get, black to match my heels? Thanks!
Women have a lot of latitude with color. Pick one that flatters you. A black messenger style bag is ok. No frou frou.Hey Everyone! Just wondering if I could get some advice. I have a charcoal gray Calvin Klein skirt suit from Macy's as well as some black, pointed toe pumps. I have a white shell to go underneath, but I want something that's a little more colorful. What color would look the best? Also, what color purse should I get, black to match my heels? Thanks!
Hi everyone,
Are these colors too different? I ordered both online and they looked almost identical in the pictures but are slightly different in person.
Thank you!
![]()
Just out of curiosity, where is that bag from? Could you link please? 🙂
Hi everyone, Flexi has some affordable leather pumps if you're needing a pair. I got mine on sale for less than $25 at the mall today. They have a good cushion and are easy to walk in. Having also tried Naturalizer pumps, I have to say they were definitely superior to Flexi if you can budget for them.
http://shopflexi.com/shop/women/FFI00430-flexi-ariadne-21102black#.V64izzZrV4U
http://shopflexi.com/shop/women/FFI00430-flexi-ariadne-21102black#.V64izzZrV4U
http://www.anntaylor.com/seasonless...0315X1382737Xf1d6185aacff6e3321be42ab511f3088
Stealing this link from someone up above!
Would the shoes be okay if paired with a conservative black skirtsuit?
Shoes are super cute and fine for a regular work day, but NOT for your interview
Also, bought this shirt from BR http://bananarepublicfactory.gapfactory.com/browse/product.do?cid=1044978&vid=1&pid=244959001 on sale this weekend and it looks really clean and cute under my charcoal grey suit. It's much more comfortable for me than a collared white shirt, doesn't show any cleavage and I am planning to wear a tanktop under it. Is it too casual?
Wish we could see the shirt, but we can't. A tank under it does make it sound too casual though. In general, a business shirt should be either silk (or silky fabric), cotton 'menswear-type' shirting (or similar fabric in a blend), or a light-to-medium weight silk-wool-like knit (NOT a T-shirt knit). There may be a few other options, but a T-shirt type knit is NOT what you want here, no matter what the cut or color.
I have a small and fairly light tattoo above my ankle and chose to buy a skirt suit because I felt more comfortable in it than the pant suits I tried. The associate I was working with told me that wearing opaque tights should take care of it so the tattoo can't be seen. Anyone else have a similar issue?
Try cover-up makeup to hide it, then sheer hose. Opaque tights are not the right look.
Is anyone getting more than one interview outfit? I have back-to-back interviews and I am concerned about not having the time to get my suit cleaned and pressed, but it feels totally excessive (and expensive) to buy two.
You probably only need a day to clean and press, and should not generally need to dry-clean a suit after each wearing. Press or steam, maybe. Definitely have more than one top though as that will need to be cleaned.
These are amazing - http://www.rockport.com/total-motio...l?dwvar_tmmelorapump_color=tmmelorapump_black
Wore them to a wedding and danced for 3 hours without dying - and I never wear heels so that is saying something!
Excellent! Just the right look and style, and a very reasonable price for the quality, comfort and versatility.Thoughts on pantsuit instead of skirt? These pants made me feel great http://www.anntaylor.com/ann-all-se...olor=6600&colorExplode=false&catid=cata000013
Not sure if it makes a difference but I am definitely "curvy" and have a very hourglass figure.
Can't tell from the photo, but they should 'skim' the tush, not hug, and your jacket should be in the same fabric and be long enough to cover the fullest part of your backside.
Is this pattern subtle enough to wear with a black suit for interviews?
Looks to be since the color contrast is mild.
This is the blazer I have that I have worn to other things
http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=1053764&vid=1&pid=258259002 (but i wouldn't wear it all scrunched up)
If it doesn't cover all of my arm (leaves like three inches but it still looks fine... I could wear a watch or a simple bracelet?)...is it OK to wear to interviews with an appropriate top, grey pants and heels? Or does my entire arm have to covered?
Your entire arm needs to be covered, sorry.
Is it okay to wear black flats instead of heels? I don't think I am about the heel life...
If you think finding a pair of comfortable heels is hard, try finding a super-professional pair of flats! Flats and near-flats have to be EXTRA professional to counter the 'little-girl' or casual vibe.
how does this outfit seem except the shirt inside would be a blue or purple t-shirt?
http://www.anntaylor.com/all-season...olor=6600&colorExplode=false&catid=cata000013
Suit looks fine, but NO t-shirts!
Thoughts on this suit? Would the texture be ok?
https://www.reiss.com/us/p/tailroed-pencil-skirt-womens-remi-in-grey-blue/?category_id=11008
Honestly, that fabric says "fashion suit" not "interview suit". Wouldn't do it...
also do we need to wear some kinda socks thing under the flats or is the skin showing from the flats considered okay?
No bare skin -- Hose would be best, or sheer dark "trouser socks" in the same or darker shade as your slacks.
It's about time you got back here!Shoes are super cute and fine for a regular work day, but NOT for your interview
Wish we could see the shirt, but we can't. A tank under it does make it sound too casual though. In general, a business shirt should be either silk (or silky fabric), cotton 'menswear-type' shirting (or similar fabric in a blend), or a light-to-medium weight silk-wool-like knit (NOT a T-shirt knit). There may be a few other options, but a T-shirt type knit is NOT what you want here, no matter what the cut or color.
Try cover-up makeup to hide it, then sheer hose. Opaque tights are not the right look.
You probably only need a day to clean and press, and should not generally need to dry-clean a suit after each wearing. Press or steam, maybe. Definitely have more than one top though as that will need to be cleaned.
Excellent! Just the right look and style, and a very reasonable price for the quality, comfort and versatility.
Can't tell from the photo, but they should 'skim' the tush, not hug, and your jacket should be in the same fabric and be long enough to cover the fullest part of your backside.
Looks to be since the color contrast is mild.
Your entire arm needs to be covered, sorry.
If you think finding a pair of comfortable heels is hard, try finding a super-professional pair of flats! Flats and near-flats have to be EXTRA professional to counter the 'little-girl' or casual vibe.
Suit looks fine, but NO t-shirts!
Honestly, that fabric says "fashion suit" not "interview suit". Wouldn't do it...
No bare skin -- Hose would be best, or sheer dark "trouser socks" in the same or darker shade as your slacks.
I'm about 99% sure my neurosis is getting out of hand, but I just want to double check that this is enough sleeve on my dress to wear without the blazer during campus tours, I'd be wearing the blazer during the interviews. Both are good quality wool pieces that have been tailored, planning to wear with a classic black pump and black structured tote.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I'm about 99% sure my neurosis is getting out of hand, but I just want to double check that this is enough sleeve on my dress to wear without the blazer during campus tours, I'd be wearing the blazer during the interviews. Both are good quality wool pieces that have been tailored, planning to wear with a classic black pump and black structured tote.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Hate to say this, but I'm a little concerned about the cleavage and that the jacket is not the same fabric as the dress. Are you interviewing in a less formal part of the country? @gyngyn - What do you think?
They look like you're trying to sneak in some heel when it's against the rules... So none of the 'advantages' heels convey and all of the disadvantages of flats.
Also, I have a necklace of a metal flat peace dove that I never take off. It is just metal with no color or texture. Is it okay to wear this on the interview?
Sorry - sounds too casual
Hate to say this, but I'm a little concerned about the cleavage and that the jacket is not the same fabric as the dress. Are you interviewing in a less formal part of the country? @gyngyn - What do you think?
They look like you're trying to sneak in some heel when it's against the rules... So none of the 'advantages' heels convey and all of the disadvantages of flats.
Sorry - sounds too casual
Def not informal part, will be interviewing in major cities in the northeast. It's not the greatest picture, but the top of the dress actually cuts straight across and you can't see any cleavage even when looking straight down from above, I'm not sure if that makes a difference.
The blazer is a formal black Austin Reed blazer, so I actually wasn't concerned about it coming off as casual because the color didn't match 🙁 is it worth buying another outfit? Wish I didn't shell out for alterations already.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If the neckline is more than 2 centimeters below your clavicles, there is good chance that there will be cleavage as the day wears on.Def not informal part, will be interviewing in major cities in the northeast. It's not the greatest picture, but the top of the dress actually cuts straight across and you can't see any cleavage even when looking straight down from above, I'm not sure if that makes a difference.
The blazer is a formal black Austin Reed blazer, so I actually wasn't concerned about it coming off as casual because the color didn't match 🙁 is it worth buying another outfit? Wish I didn't shell out for alterations already.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Can you keep it with you somewhere that is not visible?I have a necklace with a small rectangle piece that has a really really subtle image of a religious Saint that I never took off before due to my beliefs. Is that ok?
Pendants of all kinds can be distracting. They tend to draw the eye down to the bosom.
Last edited by a moderator:
Def not informal part, will be interviewing in major cities in the northeast. It's not the greatest picture, but the top of the dress actually cuts straight across and you can't see any cleavage even when looking straight down from above, I'm not sure if that makes a difference.
The blazer is a formal black Austin Reed blazer, so I actually wasn't concerned about it coming off as casual because the color didn't match 🙁 is it worth buying another outfit? Wish I didn't shell out for alterations already.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Why deny it? we're saying something because we can see it in the picture
Why deny it? we're saying something because we can see it in the picture
My point was I think it's just weird lighting. It's for sure not cleavage because it's structured in a way that really covers everything (I've tested it in front of a few people after I had it altered). Regardless, I'll be buying a new outfit with a higher neckline just to play it safe! Don't really want anybody to even wonder if I'm showing too much skin.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile