Women's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For the record, my post wasn't directed to you (BengaliBrat) personally.. 🙂

It's more of a reflection on my side after I concluded my interview season. I started the IV season not knowing what's appropriate and what's not. I wasn't excited to have to wear make up since normally I don't use any. So my post was how my point of view changed after a series of interview.

About minimal make up, I agree it would be different person to person. My minimal may be too minimal for some.

Anyways, good luck to those who are about to interview!

ETA: eye make up is something I wish I have the skill needed to do it nicely. I guess I'm late in learning make up..
The bottom line, IMHO, is GROOMING.

I am of the opinion that everyone looks better with some attention to small details. You don't have to wear a full face of makeup and while I believe that pretty much everyone looks better with some mascara, lip gloss and a spot of concealer I get that some of you won't even go that far.

Therefore I Implore you to think about other "non makeup" fixes. That might mean trimming those unruly brows or the monobrow, raggedy cuticles, trying not to bite your nails, making sure your heels aren't dirty or rundown, that your lips aren't chapped. This says a lot more about you and your attention to detail than being able to do a perfect eyeliner ever could.
 
The bottom line, IMHO, is GROOMING.

I am of the opinion that everyone looks better with some attention to small details. You don't have to wear a full face of makeup and while I believe that pretty much everyone looks better with some mascara, lip gloss and a spot of concealer I get that some of you won't even go that far.

Therefore I Implore you to think about other "non makeup" fixes. That might mean trimming those unruly brows or the monobrow, raggedy cuticles, trying not to bite your nails, making sure your heels aren't dirty or rundown, that your lips aren't chapped. This says a lot more about you and your attention to detail than being able to do a perfect eyeliner ever could.

Yeah this.

I can put on the tiniest amount of makeup and make it look really obvious, or I can put on a full face of makeup and make it look barely there. I get that there are people who aren't into that though, so at least put on some Chapstick, cuticle oil, and get your brows done.
 
@choc_mint, I know that (as your name implies!!!) you are sweet, delicious, with just enough bite to add to the excitement!! 😛 So I wasn't "taking umbrage." (That phrase, for some reason, always makes me think of grabbing battered brown suitcases by mistake.) Obviously, I follow this thread closely, and just as I run my mouth in person, "run my fingers" here just to chat. I absolutely agree with what you said. I don't normally wear make-up and I dress "sensibly" but not sloppily, and when my helicopter parents :roflcopter: started giving me the benefit of their unasked-for opinions when interview season began, I was not so receptive. 🙄 But, seriously, as I read here and looked around at fashion disasters (female AND male), I recognized that I needed to edge a bit closer to what was expected of me. I can rant about pantyhose, but didn't go bare-legged to interviews. I can get self-righteous about how wearing my (really long) hair down should not affect my chances to go to medical school, but I braided it, put it into a bun, or pulled it back and secured it before appearing in person. It's about showing that we do know how to adapt to reasonable expectations, respect them even when our opinions differ, and not be rebels without a cause.

I apologize if I came off sounding as if I didn't like your post. I meant only to listen carefully and consider and then to decide, whatever the course of action. Sending you only good stuff (except for the fact that your name has made me start thinking about Girl Scout cookies and those Thin Mints. That's unforgivable! 🙂)

Haha does me liking dark chocolate make me less sweet? Yes I am a devoted fan of thin dark chocolate mints.

Yeah, my IV day was the first time in my life I put on a party horse, of course with sighing and ranting. Doh. Pantyhose. This autocorrect.. Hhhh..

Which brings me to another point. If you're writing a thank you note with your smartphone, make very sure that you proofread the entire thing. Nothing screws your performance worse than closing your IV with ridiculous autocorrect mistake like I did above. :sorry:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Haha does me liking dark chocolate make me less sweet? Yes I am a devoted fan of thin dark chocolate mints.

Yeah, my IV day was the first time in my life I put on a party horse, of course with sighing and ranting. Doh. Pantyhose. This autocorrect.. Hhhh..

Which brings me to another point. If you're writing a thank you note with your smartphone, make very sure that you proofread the entire thing. Nothing screws your performance worse than closing your IV with ridiculous autocorrect mistake like I did above. :sorry:
The images that arise in the unclean mind at the mention of putting on a party horse. . .well, of course, I would know nothing about those!! :shy:
 
[QUOTE="choc_mint, post: 16287546]

If you have natural beauty, it is in your favor. But if not, just wear minimal make up. What I did was using BB cream, blush on, and soft colored lipstick. That's it.[/QUOTE]
To you, that's minimal. To me, I'd actually have to consult Google to figure out what one of those things IS, never mind how to put any of it on. The idea of going into the makeup aisle and figuring out what to get and how to apply it is more intimidating than an interview, imo. We'll see how long I can hold out...thus far nobody has ever remarked that I needed makeup when I was all cleaned up, and I tend to associate with VERY blunt people :laugh:
 
The bottom line, IMHO, is GROOMING.

I am of the opinion that everyone looks better with some attention to small details. You don't have to wear a full face of makeup and while I believe that pretty much everyone looks better with some mascara, lip gloss and a spot of concealer I get that some of you won't even go that far.

Therefore I Implore you to think about other "non makeup" fixes. That might mean trimming those unruly brows or the monobrow, raggedy cuticles, trying not to bite your nails, making sure your heels aren't dirty or rundown, that your lips aren't chapped. This says a lot more about you and your attention to detail than being able to do a perfect eyeliner ever could.
Word. This I can handle. I do my brows regularly and never have any white showing on my nails (I play the cello, frisbee, and with chem solvents, so I can't grow them out or paint them most of the time.) For formal events I buff my nails to a shine and make sure all of my skin is happy. You can look well groomed and professional without using makeup, and I absolutely understand the importance of demonstrating your respect and professionalism that way. It just bugs me when people act as if not wearing makeup is equivalent to being disrespectful or altogether unkempt, because they are very different things.
 
Yeah, no make-up =/= no respect/I don't care. It is good to just be hygienic. Make sure your brows are trimmed, your face is clean, your fingernails aren't dirty, your hair isn't greasy, etc. All of that goes a long way when it comes to looking professional. For me I never started wearing make-up until about freshman year of college. I had NO idea what I was doing...every time I put on mascara, blush, or eyeliner I always thought it was too much or that I looked like I was a clown. It wasn't until I started watching some Youtube videos on make-up tutorials that I understood not only the basics in applying make-up, but on what looked best when.

For me and I'm sure for a lot of women, putting on make-up isn't just about putting on a mask or wanting to make ourselves look prettier, but in giving a small boost of confidence, which can be especially important on interview day, when all you're feeling is nervous and self-conscious. The worst feeling would be me waking up on interview day with a huge zit smack dab in the middle of my face, I'd feel like that entire day if people were to look at me that's all that they'd be seeing. Now granted this shouldn't make me completely falter in my interviews, but it does make a small difference. I think the small things that make people feel happier and more confident are good. And if going make-up free does that for you, all the more power to you!

Minimal make-up for me would probably be foundation/concelear to give the skin an even tone by removing blemishes/red spots, a teensy bit of blush/bronzer and mascara. Eyeliner, especially black, on me tends to make everything about my face look darker (since I have black brows, hair and eyes that are pretty much black haha) and I usually don't wear lipstick. As for heels, I never usually wear them either so I'm not as used to walking in them, so I will probably try to find ones with like a one inch heel or just a chunkier heel in general so that it's easier to walk on. But rest assured that whatever heel I do buy I'm going to buy some Dr. Scholls inserts to make them as comfortable as possible!
 
What would you think of a woman who showed up to an interview in a suit, flats, no make-up, and no jewelry? It's pretty much the consensus of this thread that it would be unprofessional if you are a woman, but completely professional if you're a man. By definition, that is sexist.

I know this was brought up in the context of gender roles, but I am also wondering what the practical answer is. I am a fairly masculine-presenting woman with short hair, and I am planning on wearing a black pant suit with nice cordovan leather loafers. Maybe very minimal makeup, probably no jewelry. Is this really that bad? I don't want to posture something that I'm totally not.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know this was brought up in the context of gender roles, but I am also wondering what the practical answer is. I am a fairly masculine-presenting woman with short hair, and I am planning on wearing a black pant suit with nice cordovan leather loafers. Maybe very minimal makeup, probably no jewelry. Is this really that bad? I don't want to posture something that I'm totally not.
Sounds fine.
The memorable messes are usually from over-doing fashion, not under-playing it.
 
I know this was brought up in the context of gender roles, but I am also wondering what the practical answer is. I am a fairly masculine-presenting woman with short hair, and I am planning on wearing a black pant suit with nice cordovan leather loafers. Maybe very minimal makeup, probably no jewelry. Is this really that bad? I don't want to posture something that I'm totally not.
Agree with @gyngyn that your outfits sound fine. If you are concerned about looking slightly masculine, maybe wear a pair of pearl earrings, some soft colored blouse or wear a pair of elegant glasses. Of course one should not try to be who they are not, but I think there is value to be said to better display through subtleties the warmth and gentleness that we girls have.

One thing though, it is considered more formal for girls to wear heels during interviews. If you are tall just wear kitten heels. Not the biggest deal though. As long as you don't wear a pair of super odd colored patent ballet flats....
 
I already have the pants and top I'm gonna be wearing, but I have to go out and find a jacket to match the pants, which is not gonna be easy because it's a shade of grey... [emoji17] I also still need to buy some plain black heels, you'd think that would be a staple I should already have in my closet, but alas, it is not.

What's everyone doing for handbags? I'll want something to carry my stuff in but I've heard having a big purse isn't professional. Should I look into buying like a black case with a handle or something?
 
I already have the pants and top I'm gonna be wearing, but I have to go out and find a jacket to match the pants, which is not gonna be easy because it's a shade of grey... [emoji17] I also still need to buy some plain black heels, you'd think that would be a staple I should already have in my closet, but alas, it is not.

What's everyone doing for handbags? I'll want something to carry my stuff in but I've heard having a big purse isn't professional. Should I look into buying like a black case with a handle or something?
Your pants and jackets should match exact in terms of fabric and style which is what makes up "suit". It would be wise to invest some money to get a real set of suit during interview season. Unmatched jacket is going to make you standout, not in the best light.

Handbags wise, banana republic has simple leather tote that has a decent shape and subtlety that can be bought around $100 with discount. I used its last generation product and had received lots of compliments.
 
Your pants and jackets should match exact in terms of fabric and style which is what makes up "suit". It would be wise to invest some money to get a real set of suit during interview season. Unmatched jacket is going to make you standout, not in the best light.

Handbags wise, banana republic has simple leather tote that has a decent shape and subtlety that can be bought around $100 with discount. I used its last generation product and had received lots of compliments.

I'll look into that, thanks!
 
I'll look into that, thanks!

Just wanted to build a little bit off of @FriendlyFH's advice and say that you can score an awesome deal (~40% off) on a suit at Ann Taylor, BR, etc if you keep an eye out for their sales. I found this site earlier this year and it's been a godsend for keeping track of sales that I'd normally miss (i.e., stackable discounts at Ann Taylor and Loft).

You can also sign up for email offers at each of the individual stores, but the never-ending emails can be frustrating when interview season rolls around.
 
Just wanted to build a little bit off of @FriendlyFH's advice and say that you can score an awesome deal (~40% off) on a suit at Ann Taylor, BR, etc if you keep an eye out for their sales. I found this site earlier this year and it's been a godsend for keeping track of sales that I'd normally miss (i.e., stackable discounts at Ann Taylor and Loft).

You can also sign up for email offers at each of the individual stores, but the never-ending emails can be frustrating when interview season rolls around.
Thanks, @meowfish6868 ! Looks very helpful for those both budget- and fashion-conscious!
 
Just wanted to build a little bit off of @FriendlyFH's advice and say that you can score an awesome deal (~40% off) on a suit at Ann Taylor, BR, etc if you keep an eye out for their sales. I found this site earlier this year and it's been a godsend for keeping track of sales that I'd normally miss (i.e., stackable discounts at Ann Taylor and Loft).

You can also sign up for email offers at each of the individual stores, but the never-ending emails can be frustrating when interview season rolls around.

Wow, that's a really awesome resource, thanks for sharing! Haha, yeah I've subscribed to a few stores before and have actually unsubscribed from them because of all of the updates....the two that I have now I still get emails literally everyday.

I may post a picture later on when I get the whole ensemble together for thoughts!
 
Just wanted to build a little bit off of @FriendlyFH's advice and say that you can score an awesome deal (~40% off) on a suit at Ann Taylor, BR, etc if you keep an eye out for their sales. I found this site earlier this year and it's been a godsend for keeping track of sales that I'd normally miss (i.e., stackable discounts at Ann Taylor and Loft).

You can also sign up for email offers at each of the individual stores, but the never-ending emails can be frustrating when interview season rolls around.

If you get a job at any of Ann Taylor's brands, you get a 50% discount at Ann Taylor, Loft, and their outlet stores. I have conveniently become employed prior to interview season. 😉
 
If you get a job at any of Ann Taylor's brands, you get a 50% discount at Ann Taylor, Loft, and their outlet stores. I have conveniently become employed prior to interview season. 😉
Nice!
I on the other hand, not so conveniently became employed by a chocolate store in the later part of the interview season. Free chocolate all day every day can have downside to it believe it or not.
 
Friendly reminder to wear your suit around for a day before going to interviews. I purchased a suit recently for a research poster presentation, thinking that it could double for med school interviews this fall. I was uncomfortable the whole time during the poster session, but thought it must be because of my nerves and pinching heels. I got home and took off the suit only to find that I had broken out in angry red hives everywhere that the suit jacket touched my skin. As I have no known allergies and have never gotten hives before, it was quite the unpleasant surprise. Lesson learned: if you get a steal on a cheaply-made suit, you may pay the price later 🙁
 
  • Like
Reactions: FFH
Friendly reminder to wear your suit around for a day before going to interviews. I purchased a suit recently for a research poster presentation, thinking that it could double for med school interviews this fall. I was uncomfortable the whole time during the poster session, but thought it must be because of my nerves and pinching heels. I got home and took off the suit only to find that I had broken out in angry red hives everywhere that the suit jacket touched my skin. As I have no known allergies and have never gotten hives before, it was quite the unpleasant surprise. Lesson learned: if you get a steal on a cheaply-made suit, you may pay the price later 🙁
Did you try having it cleaned? It'd be a shame to lose a suit over something that could be dry-cleaned off.
But yeah, even if it's fixable, imagine finding out for the first time during an MMI :/
 
Did you try having it cleaned? It'd be a shame to lose a suit over something that could be dry-cleaned off.
But yeah, even if it's fixable, imagine finding out for the first time during an MMI :/

I do plan on getting it cleaned, as I have worn the fabrics that the suit is made of before without issue. I'm just so glad that 1) it was not during an interview and 2) the hives were not on my face.
 
A lot of new clothes contain toxic chemicals to either keep them straight (para formaldehyde being one) or as residue from the dying and making process. Even the fanciest brands like Dior, Chanel do not escape (sometimes they are worse), so always clean the clothes thoroughly before wearing it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Question about bags. (I also need to figure this out for a job interview coming up.) I have an issue over bring one or not, like would something that looks like this be too unprofessional.

EDIT: Found an image of the bag I have online!
http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mulVTJ0eErqkNi8zXWveZ6w.jpg
Coach bag still okay to get by with black skirt suit and shoes? Only bag I have that doesn't look tattered, worn, and abused that would fit things in it.

Other than that my mom has a light brown structured tote from coach, but it has the signature C on it, looks something like this
http://in1.ccio.co/u4/c6/t4/51hf15sH5CL.jpg
except i think the strip is green.
 
Last edited:
Question about bags. (I also need to figure this out for a job interview coming up.) I have an issue over bring one or not, like would something that looks like this be too unprofessional.

EDIT: Found an image of the bag I have online!
http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mulVTJ0eErqkNi8zXWveZ6w.jpg
Coach bag still okay to get by with black skirt suit and shoes? Only bag I have that doesn't look tattered, worn, and abused that would fit things in it.

Other than that my mom has a light brown structured tote from coach, but it has the signature C on it, looks something like this
http://in1.ccio.co/u4/c6/t4/51hf15sH5CL.jpg
except i think the strip is green.
I wouldn't use either. The first one might pass if it's in a conservative color like black or brown. If you can't find a good bag at the moment, bring a portfolio. If you need something affordable, maybe look for sale section of discount store to find the most plain black women's bag that can hold a letter size paper.
 
I wouldn't use either. The first one might pass if it's in a conservative color like black or brown. If you can't find a good bag at the moment, bring a portfolio. If you need something affordable, maybe look for sale section of discount store to find the most plain black women's bag that can hold a letter size paper.
I feel like a bag is one of the safest places for a splash of color. I mean, don't go pink leopard spot or anything, but it's not a funeral!
I thought the purple was colorful while still being restrained/professional. Just me, though. :shrug:
 
I feel like a bag is one of the safest places for a splash of color. I mean, don't go pink leopard spot or anything, but it's not a funeral!
I thought the purple was colorful while still being restrained/professional. Just me, though. :shrug:

Seriously. I understand the gravity of the situation and I defer to those with experience, but is it really such that we can't have a slightly colorful accessory? Again, it's not hot pink but rather on the more sober side of the spectrum. I feel like if I weren't on SDN I would have had no idea. I didn't know we were being scrutinized so closely...
 
Seriously. I understand the gravity of the situation and I defer to those with experience, but is it really such that we can't have a slightly colorful accessory? Again, it's not hot pink but rather on the more sober side of the spectrum. I feel like if I weren't on SDN I would have had no idea. I didn't know we were being scrutinized so closely...
Keep in mind that on a fashion thread, everything you read is going to be subjective, purely opinion. If you read through a large chunk of it, you'll see a spectrum of opinion on the matter. Some adcoms like to see more color. I think LizzyM once posted purely to celebrate that she saw a trend towards non-funereal colors in the new season!!
 
Keep in mind that on a fashion thread, everything you read is going to be subjective, purely opinion. If you read through a large chunk of it, you'll see a spectrum of opinion on the matter. Some adcoms like to see more color. I think LizzyM once posted purely to celebrate that she saw a trend towards non-funereal colors in the new season!!

I think there are people who like to break a little bit of boundary here and there and I'm the same. However, I personally think that outfits is not the right place to do so. There are guidelines for professional interviews attires. I would personally follow them. One such recommendation is to use a portfolio or a briefcase of neutral color.

Sure one can try to go unconventional and not follow the rules in ways big and small. Most likely it brings no serious harm to one's chance. (Unless it was as devastating as sleeveless party dress followed by 12inches heels...and yes according to @gyngyn it has happened) But honestly by "standing out" with less conservative and more colorful accessory, it doesn't add anything good to your application. If one has a higher sense of fashion, withhold that for the brief moment when you have to interview for a conservative position.

Also @mehc012, by non-funereal color, LizzyM is referring to non-black suits---and it only really means grey and navy suits.

Last but not least, I think a cheerful non-white shirts is a better way to bring in color than bags.
 
Last edited:
I think there are people who like to break a little bit of boundary here and there and I'm the same. However, I personally think that outfits is not the right place to do so. There are guidelines for professional interviews. I would personally follow them. One such recommendation is to use a portfolio or a briefcase of neutral color.

Sure one can try to go unconventional and not follow the rules in ways big and small. Most likely it brings no serious harm to one's chance. But honestly by "standing out" with less conservative and more colorful accessory, it doesn't add anything good to your application, so why do it? If one has a higher sense of fashion, withhold that for the brief moment when you have to interview for a conservative position.

Also @mehc012, by non-funereal color, LizzyM is referring to non-black suits---and it only really means grey and navy suits.
It's a gorram bag. It's got nothing to do with fashion, it's a utility item. Buying a navy blue one instead of what is essentially the equivalently conservative shade of purple is just as stupidly frivolous as buying a pink leopard one to show off your quirk.

Why do it? Because it doesn't effing matter, they have the bag, and they like it.

If a brightly colored shell or shirt is reasonable, I don't see why a mutedly colored bag would be the end of the world. More than likely, no one will even notice.
 
Question about bags. (I also need to figure this out for a job interview coming up.) I have an issue over bring one or not, like would something that looks like this be too unprofessional.

EDIT: Found an image of the bag I have online!
http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mulVTJ0eErqkNi8zXWveZ6w.jpg
Coach bag still okay to get by with black skirt suit and shoes? Only bag I have that doesn't look tattered, worn, and abused that would fit things in it.

Other than that my mom has a light brown structured tote from coach, but it has the signature C on it, looks something like this
http://in1.ccio.co/u4/c6/t4/51hf15sH5CL.jpg
except i think the strip is green.

I think the first one is fine - assuming that the color is a rich blue or blue-purple, not neon blue, and that it doesn't clash with your suit. Yes, it's a bit bold, but not 'out of line / poor judgement' bold. I prefer it to the LOGO LOGO LOGO bag. A subtle bit of a twist is fine and fun even, and does keep your look from being too boring. (Yes, there is such a thing.)
 
Okay so I went suit shopping yesterday and I tried on some for fitting. I'm like 5'2 so I was hoping that my heels would be enough that I wouldn't have to get it in petite, so I tried on a size 10 and the fit was pretty good, the pants were maybe a little long but not hitting the floor. However, it was slightly loose and I don't want to pay the money to get things altered/taken in.

BUT, I was planning on losing 10-15 lbs this summer and I know interviews don't start until about August at the earliest (so I feel like doing it is feasible). Now I haven't bought anything yet, but I've been guestimating that if I lose that weight a size 8 or 10P suit would fit me well. What I'm scared is that I may not reach my target weight because, the process of losing weight is like, terrible for me. So I don't know if I should wait or what....

Ugh, and that suit I tried on was on sale for $70 too, I wanted to buy it right then so badly. [emoji17]
 
Okay so I went suit shopping yesterday and I tried on some for fitting. I'm like 5'2 so I was hoping that my heels would be enough that I wouldn't have to get it in petite, so I tried on a size 10 and the fit was pretty good, the pants were maybe a little long but not hitting the floor. However, it was slightly loose and I don't want to pay the money to get things altered/taken in.

BUT, I was planning on losing 10-15 lbs this summer and I know interviews don't start until about August at the earliest (so I feel like doing it is feasible). Now I haven't bought anything yet, but I've been guestimating that if I lose that weight a size 8 or 10P suit would fit me well. What I'm scared is that I may not reach my target weight because, the process of losing weight is like, terrible for me. So I don't know if I should wait or what....

Ugh, and that suit I tried on was on sale for $70 too, I wanted to buy it right then so badly. [emoji17]

I gained 10lbs after I bought and tailored the suit to the interview, blame it on the stress. I had to emergency weight loose to fit them. It was pretty hard to travel, be stressed and not eat at the same time. So if you think your body shape might change, you might want to wait a little bit on buying the suit. If the suit doesn't fit you, it's $70 gone not saved...
Alteration and tailoring don't have to be expensive ($5-10 to alter the length, $50 for the overall fit), but they make a world difference, seriously! Wearing a well fitting suit will give you a boost in confidence simply by making you more comfortable. Don't use the store service, depending on where you are, try Yelp to find affordable alteration shops that aren't too bad.
 
I am SURE this has been mentioned, so please forgive me for asking this, but are flower-patterned blouses okay?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad