Women's Interview Clothing

Started by deeproots
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
A short/cap sleeve blouse is fine, as long as you don't take off your jacket except for the tour.
Personally, I find that black hose reminds me of tights, which come off as a hit childish and unprofessional.
There isn't really any other time to take off one's jacket beside the tour, right?
And on that note, sleeveless blouse means never ever take off the jacket?
 
There isn't really any other time to take off one's jacket beside the tour, right?
And on that note, sleeveless blouse means never ever take off the jacket?
Right. But someone might still be warm post-tour and be tempted to leave their jacket off, which is not recommended.
As long as it's a student-run tour, you should be fine to take off the jacket even with a sleeveless blouse. I just mentioned cap/short sleeve specifically because that's what OP asked about.
 
A short/cap sleeve blouse is fine, as long as you don't take off your jacket except for the tour.
Personally, I find that black hose reminds me of tights, which come off as a hit childish and unprofessional.
Black hoses can make someone look unprofessional,.. Remind me of strippers.... So nude is the way to go.
If you're uncomfortable in them however I recommend a pants suit.
I also have to agree that a matching set is the way to go.

Also, wear sleeveless under your suit keep the suit on (this is what I did, as I'm more comfortable with less layers on the arms). Short sleeves is your discretion. If you're given the tour by someone on the admissions committee (I had one like that) keep it on.

Also, heels are fine but beware the school. I went up and down steps in 2 of my interviews and I was very glad I wore flats
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is the "indigo" color of this suit appropriate? I haven't seen it in person, but it seems less saturated than navy, maybe leaning towards gray. Don't want to risk having it look too casual or like I'm wearing a chambray suit.
 
Is the "indigo" color of this suit appropriate? I haven't seen it in person, but it seems less saturated than navy, maybe leaning towards gray. Don't want to risk having it look too casual or like I'm wearing a chambray suit.
I'd have to see that one in person. The color could be pretty, or it could be too casual, as you said. For some reason, I'm not a fan of the cut of the jacket. The rounded edges look kind of odd.
 
Thoughts on the following pieces? They're separates, but the same fabric, cut, and color (Navy).

Jacket: http://jcp.is/1S22xlk
Pants: http://jcp.is/1LNlg4D

I'm tiny, but the suits that fit me best are in the junior's department (and even then, I need to sleeves and pants to be hemmed...).

Thank you for your time! 🙂
 
So while shopping for a suit + skirt (skirts hide my figure better), I ended up settling on a black blazer + black skirt. It really was largely because they were what looked best on me--but I'm aware it may be seen as too formal for interviews. My solution to that was to offset the black with a brighter colored blouse/shirt on the inside. Would that work?
 
So while shopping for a suit + skirt (skirts hide my figure better), I ended up settling on a black blazer + black skirt. It really was largely because they were what looked best on me--but I'm aware it may be seen as too formal for interviews. My solution to that was to offset the black with a brighter colored blouse/shirt on the inside. Would that work?
Black is fine, especially if it fits you well. Your blouse can liven it up.
 
Is there any situation where a skirt suit is preferable to a pant suit? I'm from FL so I'm fine wearing pant suits in the hottest of weather. I just don't want to stand out for not wearing a skirt suit when I should... I was planning on sticking to pant suits because I suffer from sweaty thigh syndrome.
 
No it's fine.
Thanks. I like wearing the pants in these situations.
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1436217786.804141.jpg
 
This is probably a stupid question but are we supposed to have our jacket buttoned or unbuttoned?
 
This is probably a stupid question but are we supposed to have our jacket buttoned or unbuttoned?
Like for men, buttoned when standing and unbuttoned when sitting, although no one will fault you for keeping it buttoned when sitting. If you can't button your jacket, it's too small.

If you have more than 1 button, keep the bottom one unbuttoned.
 
Thoughts on the following pieces? They're separates, but the same fabric, cut, and color (Navy).

Jacket: http://jcp.is/1S22xlk
Pants: http://jcp.is/1LNlg4D

I'm tiny, but the suits that fit me best are in the junior's department (and even then, I need to sleeves and pants to be hemmed...).

Thank you for your time! 🙂

I think they're okay, but I'm a little more weary about the juniors part. If you aren't very curvy and closer to average height (>5'4"), it might fit correctly, but juniors clothing is made to fit relatively undeveloped teenage bodies. If you're tiny height-wise and very slender, I would suggest that you try clothing made for petites, as opposed to the juniors department. This can be difficult because petite items are typically stocked in very limited quantities at brick & mortar store locations (i.e., Ann Taylor), are made for a much older demographic (i.e., Macys and JCP to some extent), or aren't available in-store at all (i.e., my local Banana Republic:boom:). If you have to buy something online to try it, I would suggest looking at places like Nordstrom, which have amazing return/exchange policies.

That being said, you'll probably have to alter any garment, regardless of which department you buy it from, because your body size and type are very unique. Try to keep the cost of alterations in mind when choosing a suit; you might be saving money by buying a suit made with cheaper materials, but it might not be worth it in the long run to invest in altering a garment that won't last very long (explained in detail here). Personally, I spent ~$275 for an almost complete suit set from Theory (new blazer and slacks, used sheath dress) that retailed for $965, however, it took a significant amount of time and effort to save that much money. If I manage to stay near my current size, it will hopefully last me through residency interviews in a few years.

Here are some petite suiting reviews and tiny petite-friendly brands to check out.

Sorry for the word vomit, but I hope my input helps!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I found a suit that fits me really well! Here it is.

Seeking advice about the light grey, since it's a little non-traditional and I don't know whether or not the color is a big no-no. Since the cut itself is modern (not a regular button-up jacket, peplum style), I wasn't sure if the unusual color+style makes it look inappropriate. If someone showed up to an interview wearing this--assuming the suit fits well--would she stand out in a bad way?

The skirt is a little big, so I'll have to get the waist taken in--but I only want to make that investment if the suit is otherwise good. I'm wearing a light rose boat-neck blouse underneath.

It's really hard for me to find petite sizing, and this suit fits me best out of all the ones I've tried on. I also tried on a suit from JCrew Factory that fits decently and comes in more traditional dark grey and black, but it kind of makes me look like a small 5'2" rectangular block (it basically just swallows up my waistline).
 
Last edited:
I found a suit that fits me really well! Here it is.

Seeking advice about the light grey, since it's a little non-traditional and I don't know whether or not the color is a big no-no. Since the cut itself is modern (not a regular button-up jacket, peplum style), I wasn't sure if the unusual color+style makes it look inappropriate. If someone showed up to an interview wearing this--assuming the suit fits well--would she stand out in a bad way?

The skirt is a little big, so I'll have to get the waist taken in--but I only want to make that investment if the suit is otherwise good. I'm wearing a light rose boat-neck blouse underneath.

It's really hard for me to find petite sizing, and this suit fits me best out of all the ones I've tried on. I also tried on a suit from JCrew Factory that fits decently and comes in more traditional dark grey and black, but it kind of makes me look like a small 5'2" rectangular block (it basically just swallows up my waistline).
I definitely saw people on the interview trail in that shade of grey last cycle. I wouldn't worry about it. I think the cut is fine too, but I'm no expert.
 
I found a suit that fits me really well! Here it is.

Seeking advice about the light grey, since it's a little non-traditional and I don't know whether or not the color is a big no-no. Since the cut itself is modern (not a regular button-up jacket, peplum style), I wasn't sure if the unusual color+style makes it look inappropriate. If someone showed up to an interview wearing this--assuming the suit fits well--would she stand out in a bad way?

The skirt is a little big, so I'll have to get the waist taken in--but I only want to make that investment if the suit is otherwise good. I'm wearing a light rose boat-neck blouse underneath.

It's really hard for me to find petite sizing, and this suit fits me best out of all the ones I've tried on. I also tried on a suit from JCrew Factory that fits decently and comes in more traditional dark grey and black, but it kind of makes me look like a small 5'2" rectangular block (it basically just swallows up my waistline).
I'm not a fan of the cut, it feels a bit unprofessional lacking any traditional buttons, but I could be off here.
 
I found a suit that fits me really well! Here it is.

Seeking advice about the light grey, since it's a little non-traditional and I don't know whether or not the color is a big no-no. Since the cut itself is modern (not a regular button-up jacket, peplum style), I wasn't sure if the unusual color+style makes it look inappropriate. If someone showed up to an interview wearing this--assuming the suit fits well--would she stand out in a bad way?

The skirt is a little big, so I'll have to get the waist taken in--but I only want to make that investment if the suit is otherwise good. I'm wearing a light rose boat-neck blouse underneath.

It's really hard for me to find petite sizing, and this suit fits me best out of all the ones I've tried on. I also tried on a suit from JCrew Factory that fits decently and comes in more traditional dark grey and black, but it kind of makes me look like a small 5'2" rectangular block (it basically just swallows up my waistline).
I hate to be negative, but I also do not like the cut. Coupled with the light color, I would not get this suit. Have you been to Banana Republic? I found a great suit there and I'm also 5'2". I am the opposite of curvy and with a few minor alterations, my suit fits perfectly.
 
I hate to be negative, but I also do not like the cut. Coupled with the light color, I would not get this suit. Have you been to Banana Republic? I found a great suit there and I'm also 5'2". I am the opposite of curvy and with a few minor alterations, my suit fits perfectly.
I also found a perfect BR suit! My advice is to try on a few different cuts of their pants (I think they have names like Jackson, Miranda, etc) and a size up and down in the skirts. I'm the president of the IBTC (32" chest, A cup) and a size 2 blazer fit me fine.
 
Also, Macys petite section makes me happy.

Edit: I'm also not worried about an "older" demographic. To me a 2 button black suit is a 2 button black suit, and I wore some color under it.
I felt like Macys was good I petite probably because they do cater to older smaller women.
 
I hate to be negative, but I also do not like the cut. Coupled with the light color, I would not get this suit. Have you been to Banana Republic? I found a great suit there and I'm also 5'2". I am the opposite of curvy and with a few minor alterations, my suit fits perfectly.

I also found a perfect BR suit! My advice is to try on a few different cuts of their pants (I think they have names like Jackson, Miranda, etc) and a size up and down in the skirts. I'm the president of the IBTC (32" chest, A cup) and a size 2 blazer fit me fine.

Also, Macys petite section makes me happy.

Edit: I'm also not worried about an "older" demographic. To me a 2 button black suit is a 2 button black suit, and I wore some color under it.
I felt like Macys was good I petite probably because they do cater to older smaller women.

Er, I'm 5'2", yes, but I only weigh 97 lbs (don't worry, I look and am healthy, I'm an athlete and dancer). I spent 5 hours in the mall yesterday, and nothing in Macy's fit. Sigh. The XXSP in BR is too big for me. Ann Taylor may be my next best bet, but I couldn't find any suits in my price range that are still in stock in a 00P.
 
Er, I'm 5'2", yes, but I only weigh 97 lbs (don't worry, I look and am healthy). I spent 5 hours in the mall yesterday, and nothing in Macy's fit. Sigh. The XXSP in BR is too big for me. Ann Taylor may be my next best bet, but I couldn't find any suits in my price range that are still in stock in a 00P.
I think no matter what you get you're going to have to get it seriously altered.
And I like the second suit better.
 
Er, I'm 5'2", yes, but I only weigh 97 lbs (don't worry, I look and am healthy, I'm an athlete and dancer). I spent 5 hours in the mall yesterday, and nothing in Macy's fit. Sigh. The XXSP in BR is too big for me. Ann Taylor may be my next best bet, but I couldn't find any suits in my price range that are still in stock in a 00P.
I'm actually 5'2" and about 90 lbs. I feel your pain. The struggle is real. You're going to have to get whatever you buy altered. I got 00P in the jacket and skirt. My jacket was taken in around the torso and the skirt was taken in at the hips. XXSP at BR doesn't fit me well, either. For my shirt, I actually had my tailor just make me one. That's how impossible it was for me to find a shirt. I would rather pay someone to make it for me than go through the fruitless hunt for a shirt.
 
Yeah, I don't mind going to get things tailored, but they do have to fit "well enough" so that alterations actually make sense. The two-button blazer is okay on me but does contribute to that "I look like a box" look because it goes kind of far down, so I generally try to find one-button blazers that have some kind of built in waistline.

Ah well, thanks for your input, everybody! I guess my search continues. I just wanted to get opinions on the light grey. Sigh. If only it were darker and had buttons *pulls out hair*
 
Er, I'm 5'2", yes, but I only weigh 97 lbs (don't worry, I look and am healthy, I'm an athlete and dancer). I spent 5 hours in the mall yesterday, and nothing in Macy's fit. Sigh. The XXSP in BR is too big for me. Ann Taylor may be my next best bet, but I couldn't find any suits in my price range that are still in stock in a 00P.
Here's a photo. That's not the blouse I wore, though. I ended up returning the one in the photo since it didn't drape properly as you can probably see.
 

Attachments

  • 1436714210152.jpg
    1436714210152.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 254
I thought I looked like a box, too. I am not used to wearing a blazer and I had to rely on others' unbiased eyes to assure me my jacket fit properly.
 
I have my suit but I am really struggling to find a nice blouse to go under it. I have a darker suit so I wanted a blouse with a pop of color but the only things I've found are either patterned, white/gray or low cut. My biggest problem is the fact that I have a smaller bust but broad shoulders. I tried a green tank from Target with a few pleats on it but my shoulders pulled at the pleats on the small and the medium was huge. Any broad shouldered girls have any luck finding a top? Hopefully I'll have some luck on my shopping trip this week.

Edit: Target is not the only place I've looked.
 
I have my suit but I am really struggling to find a nice blouse to go under it. I have a darker suit so I wanted a blouse with a pop of color but the only things I've found are either patterned, white/gray or low cut. My biggest problem is the fact that I have a smaller bust but broad shoulders. I tried a green tank from Target with a few pleats on it but my shoulders pulled at the pleats on the small and the medium was huge. Any broad shouldered girls have any luck finding a top? Hopefully I'll have some luck on my shopping trip this week.

Edit: Target is not the only place I've looked.
Try Ann Taylor, Loft, BR, JCrew, and department stores like Macy's or Nordstrom. I'm not broad shouldered, but I think a neck style like this Loft blouse would work for you. It's not low cut, so you can afford to size up for your shoulders without the neckline dropping too much.
 
Try Ann Taylor, Loft, BR, JCrew, and department stores like Macy's or Nordstrom. I'm not broad shouldered, but I think a neck style like this Loft blouse would work for you. It's not low cut, so you can afford to size up for your shoulders without the neckline dropping too much.
Thank you! I had completely forgotten about Loft. I actually really like that blouse so I might order it and see how it works with my suit.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I found a suit that fits me really well! Here it is.

Seeking advice about the light grey, since it's a little non-traditional and I don't know whether or not the color is a big no-no. Since the cut itself is modern (not a regular button-up jacket, peplum style), I wasn't sure if the unusual color+style makes it look inappropriate. If someone showed up to an interview wearing this--assuming the suit fits well--would she stand out in a bad way?

The skirt is a little big, so I'll have to get the waist taken in--but I only want to make that investment if the suit is otherwise good. I'm wearing a light rose boat-neck blouse underneath.

It's really hard for me to find petite sizing, and this suit fits me best out of all the ones I've tried on. I also tried on a suit from JCrew Factory that fits decently and comes in more traditional dark grey and black, but it kind of makes me look like a small 5'2" rectangular block (it basically just swallows up my waistline).

I would say that the color is fine, although light grey tends to be more of a spring/summer color. Personally, I prefer the second suit since it's a bit more traditional, but if it makes you look too boxy, it's probably not worth your time either. The first suit is pretty "modern" and will likely look dated within a few seasons.

Er, I'm 5'2", yes, but I only weigh 97 lbs (don't worry, I look and am healthy, I'm an athlete and dancer). I spent 5 hours in the mall yesterday, and nothing in Macy's fit. Sigh. The XXSP in BR is too big for me. Ann Taylor may be my next best bet, but I couldn't find any suits in my price range that are still in stock in a 00P.
Yeah, I don't mind going to get things tailored, but they do have to fit "well enough" so that alterations actually make sense. The two-button blazer is okay on me but does contribute to that "I look like a box" look because it goes kind of far down, so I generally try to find one-button blazers that have some kind of built in waistline.

Ah well, thanks for your input, everybody! I guess my search continues. I just wanted to get opinions on the light grey. Sigh. If only it were darker and had buttons *pulls out hair*

Did you happen to try these (jacket, skirt, and pants) other Halogen suiting separates? Their cuts are bit more traditional and timeless, which may make it worth the $$$ for alterations. If you can't find an extensive petites selection in store or live where there isn't a Nordstroms within driving distance, such as myself, I would highly recommend buying from their website. Nordstrom's return policy is very lenient (i.e., you can wear it and return it, as long as it's not a ball gown) and they always offer free shipping and returns.

Also, Theory suiting items might work for you as they tend to run pretty small, however, they are pretty pricey and made to fit taller women (hemming my trousers required cutting off nearly a foot of fabric😵).
 
Did you happen to try these (jacket, skirt, and pants) other Halogen suiting separates? Their cuts are bit more traditional and timeless, which may make it worth the $$$ for alterations. If you can't find an extensive petites selection in store or live where there isn't a Nordstroms within driving distance, such as myself, I would highly recommend buying from their website. Nordstrom's return policy is very lenient (i.e., you can wear it and return it, as long as it's not a ball gown) and they always offer free shipping and returns.

Also, Theory suiting items might work for you as they tend to run pretty small, however, they are pretty pricey and made to fit taller women (hemming my trousers required cutting off nearly a foot of fabric😵).

Thanks for your input! I actually was looking at those Halogen suiting separates. I love Nordstrom! Their online store saved my life as a college student with no car 🙂 I don't have early access, though, so I won't be able to buy/try on this suit until it's open to everyone on July 17th...I will be online right as they open mwahaha.

Theory is out of my budget and the suits I've tried on don't look good enough to justify the cost.

Edit: On second thought...maybe I will look into opening a debit card with Nordstrom to get early access and save myself some time and stress. I recently opened a new credit card, so I don't wanna open another one within the same month, so the debit card may work...
 
Last edited:
@maroonspinstress, consider Talbots and/or Brooks Brothers for petite options, too, if all the usual places are failing you. Talbots has some stuff that's not as dowdy as you might think, and there's a sheath and one-button jacket in stock right now that would probably look great on a small frame. I know BB is SUPER pricey, but perhaps you'd be able to find something on sale at some point? Just a thought from a fellow 00P who feels your pain (and @Leslie_Knope 's). I actually have the J. Crew suit you posted, and it looks great after some alterations.
 
@maroonspinstress, consider Talbots and/or Brooks Brothers for petite options, too, if all the usual places are failing you. Talbots has some stuff that's not as dowdy as you might think, and there's a sheath and one-button jacket in stock right now that would probably look great on a small frame. I know BB is SUPER pricey, but perhaps you'd be able to find something on sale at some point? Just a thought from a fellow 00P who feels your pain (and @Leslie_Knope 's). I actually have the J. Crew suit you posted, and it looks great after some alterations.
I had not thought of Talbots or Brooks Brothers. I will definitely check them out. Thanks so much for the recommendation!

And yes, if I don't find anything else, alterations on J. Crew suit would be okay too. I'm looking around for a tailor now...there is one I trust in CA where I'm from, but I'm in Long Island now with no car (I bike). It is a little annoying to bike with stuff (like suits) in a backpack though, so I'll have to find a tailor that 1) is within 5 miles 2) has a good reputation and 3) isn't horrendously expensive. This seems like a "pick 2" situation!
 
Echoing the suggestion for a sheath dress and jacket -- That's a 'super powerful' look that can help counter-balance the potential 'little girl' aspect of a very small frame. And yes, you'll need major alterations, but in a sheath dress, they're easy and cheap.
 
Echoing the suggestion for a sheath dress and jacket -- That's a 'super powerful' look that can help counter-balance the potential 'little girl' aspect of a very small frame. And yes, you'll need major alterations, but in a sheath dress, they're easy and cheap.

I actually love sheath dresses and own multiple for work, but no matching jacket. I was wondering about this actually--is sheath dress+blazer appropriate for med school interviews? I usually do not see sheath dresses mentioned on "Appropriate Attire For Interviews" blurbs. They strike me as slightly more business-y than interview-y but that's a fine line.
 
I actually love sheath dresses and own multiple for work, but no matching jacket. I was wondering about this actually--is sheath dress+blazer appropriate for med school interviews? I usually do not see sheath dresses mentioned on "Appropriate Attire For Interviews" blurbs. They strike me as slightly more business-y than interview-y but that's a fine line.

A matching sheath dress and blazer? Absolutely! (Matching as in same fabric.) A sheath dress and different-fabric blazer? Sometimes, but tricky to do well. That's more of an 'everyday business' look.
 
Question for the more experienced for interview season: How often are interviews scheduled in close proximity? I'm seriously thinking of getting an alternate suit just in case my original one needs to be cleaned but I need another one for an interview spaced too closely or something. (Or I'm just making excuses to go shopping because there's a big sale going on at Nordstrom this weekend..)

Necessary? Not necessary?
 
Question for the more experienced for interview season: How often are interviews scheduled in close proximity? I'm seriously thinking of getting an alternate suit just in case my original one needs to be cleaned but I need another one for an interview spaced too closely or something. (Or I'm just making excuses to go shopping because there's a big sale going on at Nordstrom this weekend..)

Necessary? Not necessary?

I don't think it's necessary. You might want to get as many pieces of suiting separates as possible from a particular line (i.e. blazer, skirt, pants, and a sheath), but you'll be fine with a single suit. It's helpful to let your suit air out for at least a day in between wears, however, wearing it for two interviews back-to-back will be fine if you can keep it from getting visibly soiled.
 
Has anyone ever had luck buying these skirt suits second-hand? Or is it a must to shell out at least 100$ on few-time use, not to mention rather ugly, outfit..?
 
Hey everyone!

I was wondering if anyone could give me an opinion on this suit. I bought it at Nordstrom earlier today after finding nothing at Banana Republic or Macy's (I'm extremely short and everything looks odd on me). I also live in an extremely rural area and it's 2-3 hours' drive to any department store, making this a bit tougher.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/halogen...d=0&fashionColor=&resultback=755.555575570943

This is what I found today. I bought the matching jacket and skirt (if you click down on the very last photo it shows them together). Is this too casual? Too frumpy? Should I return it and keep looking?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone!

I was wondering if anyone could give me an opinion on this suit. I bought it at Nordstrom earlier today after finding nothing at Banana Republic or Macy's (I'm extremely short and everything looks odd on me). I also live in an extremely rural area and it's 2-3 hours' drive to any department store, making this a bit tougher.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/halogen...d=0&fashionColor=&resultback=755.555575570943

This is what I found today. I bought the matching jacket and skirt (if you click down on the very last photo it shows them together). Is this too casual? Too frumpy? Should I return it and keep looking?
That suit looks fine. Have it tailored to fit you, if needed.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everyone! I have a bit of a dilemma with my pantsuit and heels vs. flats.

I found a great navy pantsuit that fits me well, but the pants drag on the floor if I wear flats. I have this pair of nude heels (https://goo.gl/13sLJ4) and when I wear those with the suit, the hem of the pants just brushes the toes of my shoes. I have heard this means the pants are the perfect length for those heels. However, the heels are a bit high for me even though they fit comfortably, and I doubt I can walk easily in them for more than an hour or two. I have black flats that I've worn when part of my school's symphony orchestra (concert black attire) that are very comfortable, but (1) I'm a bit worried that they wouldn't appear formal enough and (2) I don't know if black shoes go with a navy suit.

That being said, here are my questions:
1. What is the right length for pants? Should I hem the pants so that I can wear my flats, and would I then be unable to wear them with heels?
2. Should I try wearing my heels at all? If so, do you guys have any tips on how I can make wearing them more comfortable?

Sorry if I sound paranoid; I want to make sure I'm comfortable but that I'm not tripping over my pants on interview day. Thanks!
 
Hi everyone! I have a bit of a dilemma with my pantsuit and heels vs. flats.

I found a great navy pantsuit that fits me well, but the pants drag on the floor if I wear flats. I have this pair of nude heels (https://goo.gl/13sLJ4) and when I wear those with the suit, the hem of the pants just brushes the toes of my shoes. I have heard this means the pants are the perfect length for those heels. However, the heels are a bit high for me even though they fit comfortably, and I doubt I can walk easily in them for more than an hour or two. I have black flats that I've worn when part of my school's symphony orchestra (concert black attire) that are very comfortable, but (1) I'm a bit worried that they wouldn't appear formal enough and (2) I don't know if black shoes go with a navy suit.

That being said, here are my questions:
1. What is the right length for pants? Should I hem the pants so that I can wear my flats, and would I then be unable to wear them with heels?
2. Should I try wearing my heels at all? If so, do you guys have any tips on how I can make wearing them more comfortable?

Sorry if I sound paranoid; I want to make sure I'm comfortable but that I'm not tripping over my pants on interview day. Thanks!
I would hem them so they're just short enough to not hit the floor when you wear flats. That way they'll work with flats and won't be too short to wear with low heels. You may want to get a pair of lower heels with a wide heel that will be more comfortable. At least with the hemming you'll have the option to switch to flats for tours!
 
Hi everyone! I have a bit of a dilemma with my pantsuit and heels vs. flats.

I found a great navy pantsuit that fits me well, but the pants drag on the floor if I wear flats. I have this pair of nude heels (https://goo.gl/13sLJ4) and when I wear those with the suit, the hem of the pants just brushes the toes of my shoes. I have heard this means the pants are the perfect length for those heels. However, the heels are a bit high for me even though they fit comfortably, and I doubt I can walk easily in them for more than an hour or two. I have black flats that I've worn when part of my school's symphony orchestra (concert black attire) that are very comfortable, but (1) I'm a bit worried that they wouldn't appear formal enough and (2) I don't know if black shoes go with a navy suit.

That being said, here are my questions:
1. What is the right length for pants? Should I hem the pants so that I can wear my flats, and would I then be unable to wear them with heels?
2. Should I try wearing my heels at all? If so, do you guys have any tips on how I can make wearing them more comfortable?

Sorry if I sound paranoid; I want to make sure I'm comfortable but that I'm not tripping over my pants on interview day. Thanks!
My med school interviews all consisted of stairs so keep that in mind, I was very glad I was in flats. I would hem and not look back.
I don't like nude or black with navy. I like navy shoes with a navy suit, but you're not going to get kicked out for wearing black shoes.
 
Ok so I think I have my outfit (almost) all set! Even though I am open to suggestion, I'd hope not to change anything, though if anyone here sees anything which is a glaring autoreject, please let me know.

Suit Blazer: http://www.anntaylor.com/petite-all...rExplode=false&catid=cat550044&priceSort=DESC

Suit Skirt: http://www.anntaylor.com/petite-all...rExplode=false&catid=cat550044&priceSort=DESC

Jewelry: (I already had these. I'm not buying them for interviews.) http://www.jcpenney.com/cultured-freshwater-pearl-4-pc-boxed-jewelry-set/prod.jump?ppId=pp5002040071&catId=cat1003050008&N=1003050013&extDim=true&topDim=Categories&topDimvalue=sets&dimCombo=Categories|&dimComboVal=sets|&currentDim=Categories&currentDimVal=sets&N=1003050013&_dyncharset=UTF-8&colorizedImg=0900631B81AF3E8DM.tif

Shoes: Ok so I'm going to preface this. My shoe choice is a little unorthodox. As you can see, my suit is almost black, so it's really hard to find a navy that matches, and black looks weird because they're too similar, so that's out of the question. I've been told that my other options are merlot and cognac, but here's the thing. My feet (and hands actually) are really really bizarrely shaped- partly from dance and partly from genetics. My arches are super high, so any pump with sides too low reveals the top of my arch, which looks weird, and my toes are SUUUUPPPERR long, so for most pumps, the front covered part is too short, and you can see half of my toes, which looks ugly. I found these shoes, finally, but I will have to get them in the gray fabric. Let me know if this is TOO crazy, but I'd really like to stick with this option if at all possible. They are just so comfy and actually flattering! Here they are. http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/aerosoles-nice-play-pumps?ID=1644227

If you think I should order the wine color instead, let me know!

So that's it! I still haven't gotten a shell or bag. For the shell, I was thinking cream, beige, buttercup yellow, sky blue, or plum. Any suggestions? And what color bag?

Thanks!