You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Women's Interview Clothing
Started by deeproots
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
If you need the help, Nordstom's is definitely a good bet. However, if you think you can do it on your own, you'd probably save money looking at Macy's, etc. Or con the system. Go to Nordstrom's and get help and then find something similar, but cheaper, elsewhere. Although Nordstrom did have some great suit prices during their anniversary sale, I'm not sure what they normally run.Sorry, I should've clarified I meant those heals in black, not the nude patent. Thanks for the advice! Looks like I'll be bothering the Nordstrom employees since I'm miserable at picking these things on my own.
Edit: Also meant "sheath" not "shift" dress in original post.
No. Way too casual!So I'm on a very tight budget but I've worn this dress to job interviews, conferences, etc: Amazon product ASIN B00HZF913U. I usually wear it with these heals: http://www.payless.com/womens-karme...=nudepatent#prefn1=color&prefv1=Black&start=2. Do you guys think it's too casual or otherwise not ideal? Obviously if you think it'll hurt my chances I'll go out and find something else.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
White on pink?????? Will it be work for a Date?? Or something else???
Hey All.
Shoe Question.
I have a navy suit, plan on wearing it with a light pink top.
In terms of shoes: I have a nice maroon shoe that I wear at work. I think it would look great with the suit, but not sure it is considered informal or anything.
Alternatively I can wear a black shoe or a beige shoe.
Thoughts?
Shoe Question.
I have a navy suit, plan on wearing it with a light pink top.
In terms of shoes: I have a nice maroon shoe that I wear at work. I think it would look great with the suit, but not sure it is considered informal or anything.
Alternatively I can wear a black shoe or a beige shoe.
Thoughts?
Maroon is the preferred choice for a navy suit.Hey All.
Shoe Question.
I have a navy suit, plan on wearing it with a light pink top.
In terms of shoes: I have a nice maroon shoe that I wear at work. I think it would look great with the suit, but not sure it is considered informal or anything.
Alternatively I can wear a black shoe or a beige shoe.
Thoughts?
Advice? This is the only suit of hundreds that fit my body even remotely well - I'm just worried about the color. It's a little lighter gray in person....
Note: I know cleavage is a problem, but as a (unfortunate/cursed) GG cup even a turtleneck looks bad >.< I'm planning on wearing a super high cut silk shell underneath.
Note: I know cleavage is a problem, but as a (unfortunate/cursed) GG cup even a turtleneck looks bad >.< I'm planning on wearing a super high cut silk shell underneath.
Last edited:
Also - do you guys think I can wear these shoes with the suit?
The color is fine; could you go up a size? It looks a little tight.Advice? This is the only suit of hundreds that fit my body even remotely well - I'm just worried about the color. It's a little lighter gray in person....
View attachment 195916
Note: I know cleavage is a problem, but as a (unfortunate/cursed) GG cup even a turtleneck looks bad >.< I'm planning on wearing a super high cut silk she'll underneath.
Also - is a shellac French mani appropriate?
The pants or the jacket?The color is fine; could you go up a size? It looks a little tight.
Unfortunately I don't think I can with the jacket bc I have a 41"-32"-43" bust-waist-hip and nothing is made for my shape >.< I might go get a bespoke suit for my later interviews actually
Sounds like a true hourglass! You don't really have to go MTM or bespoke; a good tailor is generally all you need. Nordstrom's will do simple alterations for you.The pants or the jacket?
Unfortunately I don't think I can with the jacket bc I have a 41"-32"-43" bust-waist-hip and nothing is made for my shape >.< I might go get a bespoke suit for my later interviews actually
While both look too tight, I thought maybe the jacket pulling was due to your pose. But the crease across your left thigh and outlining your legs indicates the trousers are too tight.
Mixed feelings; if done well it looks nice but it can easily cross over into "Jersey". I'd recommend a simple pale pink or clear.Also - is a shellac French mani appropriate?
Thank you!! Haha yep the hourglass can be a real problem....Sounds like a true hourglass! You don't really have to go MTM or bespoke; a good tailor is generally all you need. Nordstrom's will do simple alterations for you.
While both look too tight, I thought maybe the jacket pulling was due to your pose. But the crease across your left thigh and outlining your legs indicates the trousers are too tight.
I tried a larger pant, but even the ones falling off me had the crease :/ it's not too bad, is it?
Very good point - thank you! I'll go for a natural pinkMixed feelings; if done well it looks nice but it can easily cross over into "Jersey". I'd recommend a simple pale pink or clear.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
When you say "falling off me" are you referring to waist size?Thank you!! Haha yep the hourglass can be a real problem....
I tried a larger pant, but even the ones falling off me had the crease :/ it's not too bad, is it?
Often women with hourglass figures find that trousers are tough - buy them big enough to fit in the legs and the waist is too big, buy to fit the waist and the legs are too small. "Curvy" fits usually rectify this. I found this which is interesting in that the comments are 50/50 in terms of whether the "whiskers"/creases are ok.
I think I'll leave them as is bc they actually are very comfy, and the whiskers were the least of everything I tried 🙂
I did notice that a lot of model photos on Macy's and Nordstrom have whiskers too which I thought was interesting
I did notice that a lot of model photos on Macy's and Nordstrom have whiskers too which I thought was interesting
When you say "falling off me" are you referring to waist size?
Often women with hourglass figures find that trousers are tough - buy them big enough to fit in the legs and the waist is too big, buy to fit the waist and the legs are too small. "Curvy" fits usually rectify this. I found this which is interesting in that the comments are 50/50 in terms of whether the "whiskers"/creases are ok.
I just noticed you're based in AZ - that's actually my first interview this upcoming weekend, and I'm beyond excited to see the school!
Best of luck to you; it's been cooling down so expect about 100 this weekend with our version of humidity.I just noticed you're based in AZ - that's actually my first interview this upcoming weekend, and I'm beyond excited to see the school!
Hey guys! So I got my first iis and figured I'd hop on the get a suit train! I've been skimming SDN and love all the advice! I wish I had a lucky suit already...but I'm hoping the one I get turns into it ;P
On that note....I wonder why there isn't a "Wore this to my interview: Women edition" thread! I was thinking of starting one for future classes. We can post pictures of the whole outfit and individual pieces so future people can see and get better ideas....
What do y'all think?!
also: is this not okay? for a bad it's about the size of 12x12in for the purse and the other is a little bigger than my hand....it's a potential gift from someone for my interview. I can fit an ipad and a small journal for notes, etc. ..It barely shows the logos when light isn't hitting it straight on (like in the second picture). It's the whole brand thing, but I love how it looks 🙁
On that note....I wonder why there isn't a "Wore this to my interview: Women edition" thread! I was thinking of starting one for future classes. We can post pictures of the whole outfit and individual pieces so future people can see and get better ideas....
What do y'all think?!
also: is this not okay? for a bad it's about the size of 12x12in for the purse and the other is a little bigger than my hand....it's a potential gift from someone for my interview. I can fit an ipad and a small journal for notes, etc. ..It barely shows the logos when light isn't hitting it straight on (like in the second picture). It's the whole brand thing, but I love how it looks 🙁
whoa those came out huge...sry
It's a little too much logo IMHO. It also doesn't look like leather.Hey guys! So I got my first iis and figured I'd hop on the get a suit train! I've been skimming SDN and love all the advice! I wish I had a lucky suit already...but I'm hoping the one I get turns into it ;P
On that note....I wonder why there isn't a "Wore this to my interview: Women edition" thread! I was thinking of starting one for future classes. We can post pictures of the whole outfit and individual pieces so future people can see and get better ideas....
What do y'all think?!
also: is this not okay? for a bad it's about the size of 12x12in for the purse and the other is a little bigger than my hand....it's a potential gift from someone for my interview. I can fit an ipad and a small journal for notes, etc. ..It barely shows the logos when light isn't hitting it straight on (like in the second picture). It's the whole brand thing, but I love how it looks 🙁
View attachment 196005![]()
So it's fine if someone wants to buy it for you as a gift but I would not use it for my interview; its too casual. This is a Saturday afternoon at Costco sort of bag, not for interviews.
It's a little too much logo IMHO. It also doesn't look like leather.
So it's fine if someone wants to buy it for you as a gift but I would not use it for my interview; its too casual. This is a Saturday afternoon at Costco sort of bag, not for interviews.
Yeah I figured...I'll stray them away from it.... :*( They wanna get me something to use at the interview ....but I rather have this one and use my old purse lol oh well! haha
For everybody looking for cordovan/wine/burgundy shoes to go with a navy suit, I think I'm going to get these ones:
http://www.hushpuppies.com/US/en/ga...or=HSS1199-601#cgid=women-shoes-heels&start=1
Kinda frumpy, but they'll probably be comfy.
Do I need to make sure the color of these shoes matches my bad exactly, or will it be fine as long as they're both a similar shade of dark burgundy?
http://www.hushpuppies.com/US/en/ga...or=HSS1199-601#cgid=women-shoes-heels&start=1
Kinda frumpy, but they'll probably be comfy.
Do I need to make sure the color of these shoes matches my bad exactly, or will it be fine as long as they're both a similar shade of dark burgundy?
twsswhoa those came out huge...sry
I wouldn't obsess about it being the exact same color as long as it's in the same tone and coordinates.For everybody looking for cordovan/wine/burgundy shoes to go with a navy suit, I think I'm going to get these ones:
http://www.hushpuppies.com/US/en/ga...or=HSS1199-601#cgid=women-shoes-heels&start=1
Kinda frumpy, but they'll probably be comfy.
Do I need to make sure the color of these shoes matches my bad exactly, or will it be fine as long as they're both a similar shade of dark burgundy?
I did see that Hush Puppies makes handbags so if you were so inclined, you might find a purse there that is an exact match.
Last edited:
I agree - not leather and logo all over the fabric 🙁It's a little too much logo IMHO. It also doesn't look like leather.
So it's fine if someone wants to buy it for you as a gift but I would not use it for my interview; its too casual. This is a Saturday afternoon at Costco sort of bag, not for interviews.
How about pumps with a broad 1.5" heel?So I haven't read this whole thread, but from what I've read it seems that heels are preferred. I'm really not comfortable walking in heels, but I have a navy suit and own nice navy flats that do have a small wedge heel (maybe 1.5 inches). Is that acceptable?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I haven't read this whole thread, but from what I've read it seems that heels are preferred. I'm really not comfortable walking in heels, but I have a navy suit and own nice navy flats that do have a small wedge heel (maybe 1.5 inches). Is that acceptable?
Something like the shoe I posted a photo of above? (On 9/5)How about pumps with a broad 1.5" heel?
Yes.Something like the shoe I posted a photo of above? (On 9/5)
Could someone help me with clarification on what's okay for women's shoes? People say that if you're going to wear a heel (which I am going to do since I can walk in them and I could use some height), you should go for neutral closed-toe pumps, but no "sexy stilettos" or platforms. My confusion stems from the realllyyy wide range of shoes that call themselves pumps, some of which have a thick heel and look very conservative, and some of which have a thinner heel. Does a thinner heel automatically make something a stiletto, or does that have more to do with the height? I found a pair of really comfortable, pointed toe heels while shopping--and they are definitely "pumps," but because of the thinner heel I'm not sure if they're appropriate. Can anyone give me some guidance on this?
They're these ones, and I would get them in the smooth black leather: http://www.zappos.com/rockport-total-motion-75mm-pointy-toe-pump-black-smooth-leather
They're these ones, and I would get them in the smooth black leather: http://www.zappos.com/rockport-total-motion-75mm-pointy-toe-pump-black-smooth-leather
Hi all,
I have my first interview coming up and I am trying to figure out what's appropriate. I have a navy suit that looks like these pants plus a jacket. I have used it before for internship interviews and have been fine. But I am not sure what is appropriate for dental school interview. I also have a regular black suit. What do ya'll think?
I have my first interview coming up and I am trying to figure out what's appropriate. I have a navy suit that looks like these pants plus a jacket. I have used it before for internship interviews and have been fine. But I am not sure what is appropriate for dental school interview. I also have a regular black suit. What do ya'll think?
Attachments
Navy or black suit is fine as long as it's coordinating.Hi all,
I have my first interview coming up and I am trying to figure out what's appropriate. I have a navy suit that looks like these pants plus a jacket. I have used it before for internship interviews and have been fine. But I am not sure what is appropriate for dental school interview. I also have a regular black suit. What do ya'll think?
The color isn't the issue.Hi all,
I have my first interview coming up and I am trying to figure out what's appropriate. I have a navy suit that looks like these pants plus a jacket. I have used it before for internship interviews and have been fine. But I am not sure what is appropriate for dental school interview. I also have a regular black suit. What do ya'll think?
These pants are too informal and form fitting for a professional interview. You need something straight or trouser legged.
Hi all,
I'm a little older (31) nontrad working professional. I was considering this: a conservative black skirt-suit (matched, tailored, appropriate size/length), coral-red blouse which literally goes above the neck (very conservative cut, though with a bright color), and black pumps with a red-coral "lining" (thin line around the base-not particularly noticeable). Absolutely everything is ultra-conservative, save for the red-coral color of the blouse and the detail on the shoe. I also tend to be conservative in my mannerism (so it won't look too "sleek", but it does look sharp). Generally I favor playing it safe, but in this instance, the only "wrong" thing about it is that it looks quite well put-together (i.e. I look like a working adult and not so much a bright-eyed student). Is this acceptable?
I'm a little older (31) nontrad working professional. I was considering this: a conservative black skirt-suit (matched, tailored, appropriate size/length), coral-red blouse which literally goes above the neck (very conservative cut, though with a bright color), and black pumps with a red-coral "lining" (thin line around the base-not particularly noticeable). Absolutely everything is ultra-conservative, save for the red-coral color of the blouse and the detail on the shoe. I also tend to be conservative in my mannerism (so it won't look too "sleek", but it does look sharp). Generally I favor playing it safe, but in this instance, the only "wrong" thing about it is that it looks quite well put-together (i.e. I look like a working adult and not so much a bright-eyed student). Is this acceptable?
Hi all,
I'm a little older (31) nontrad working professional. I was considering this: a conservative black skirt-suit (matched, tailored, appropriate size/length), coral-red blouse which literally goes above the neck (very conservative cut, though with a bright color), and black pumps with a red-coral "lining" (thin line around the base-not particularly noticeable). Absolutely everything is ultra-conservative, save for the red-coral color of the blouse and the detail on the shoe. I also tend to be conservative in my mannerism (so it won't look too "sleek", but it does look sharp). Generally I favor playing it safe, but in this instance, the only "wrong" thing about it is that it looks quite well put-together (i.e. I look like a working adult and not so much a bright-eyed student). Is this acceptable?
I think you want to look like a working adult rather than a bright-eyed student. It all sounds great to me.
Thanks! I was worried it might be "Sexy" but actually the cut is anything but, and I'm not strutting down the corridors as if it's a runway, so it just looks "put together" and not ostentatious. Anyway, thanks for helping me extract my dome from my derriere!I think you want to look like a working adult rather than a bright-eyed student. It all sounds great to me.
I think you want to look like a working adult rather than a bright-eyed student. It all sounds great to me.
You ARE a mature working adult and it's part of your 'package' -- For you, it's a selling point, and appropriate for your age and circumstances.
You ARE a mature working adult and it's part of your 'package' -- For you, it's a selling point, and appropriate for your age and circumstances.
Thank you DokterMom. I tend to agree, but after perusing here (perhaps a bit too long) I began questioning. I'd agree that part of what I offer is the life experience I bring to the table (to make up for some rather unusal, erm, circumstances...).
Agree with the others that one of your selling points is that you come already well packaged and appropriate. The reason this thread is so long is that so many of the younger women have no idea about how to dress professionally or what looks good on them/for the event. Consider this one "done and done" for you.Thank you DokterMom. I tend to agree, but after perusing here (perhaps a bit too long) I began questioning. I'd agree that part of what I offer is the life experience I bring to the table (to make up for some rather unusal, erm, circumstances...).
Agree with the others that one of your selling points is that you come already well packaged and appropriate. The reason this thread is so long is that so many of the younger women have no idea about how to dress professionally or what looks good on them/for the event. Consider this one "done and done" for you.
Just to clarify: I meant I spent too long on here, and not that the thread itself was too long. In fact, I LOVE that everyone has been so helpful to each other (as evidenced by the length of the thread).
And btw you and DokterMom have amazing taste! I've definitely gained a blouse or two through this!
Last edited:
Could someone help me with clarification on what's okay for women's shoes? People say that if you're going to wear a heel (which I am going to do since I can walk in them and I could use some height), you should go for neutral closed-toe pumps, but no "sexy stilettos" or platforms. My confusion stems from the realllyyy wide range of shoes that call themselves pumps, some of which have a thick heel and look very conservative, and some of which have a thinner heel. Does a thinner heel automatically make something a stiletto, or does that have more to do with the height? I found a pair of really comfortable, pointed toe heels while shopping--and they are definitely "pumps," but because of the thinner heel I'm not sure if they're appropriate. Can anyone give me some guidance on this?
They're these ones, and I would get them in the smooth black leather: http://www.zappos.com/rockport-total-motion-75mm-pointy-toe-pump-black-smooth-leather
Those would blend right in at the interviews I went on. I think they are fine but will defer to more experienced people here. Just make sure you can walk in them properly and that includes stairs. I had to climb 3 flights on two of my interviews.
Those would blend right in at the interviews I went on. I think they are fine but will defer to more experienced people here. Just make sure you can walk in them properly and that includes stairs. I had to climb 3 flights on two of my interviews.
Those are totally fine. An extra inch in heel height would turn them into stilettos which would then not be fine.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Those would blend right in at the interviews I went on. I think they are fine but will defer to more experienced people here. Just make sure you can walk in them properly and that includes stairs. I had to climb 3 flights on two of my interviews.
I had to take a lot of stairs on my interview, too! There were a couple of times when I almost missed the step in my heels and I just about had a heart attack! It's funny because earlier in the thread I was joking about needing to wear hiking boots for the interview and it wasn't too far off!

Those would blend right in at the interviews I went on. I think they are fine but will defer to more experienced people here. Just make sure you can walk in them properly and that includes stairs. I had to climb 3 flights on two of my interviews.
I did buy them and have done three interviews in them--they are very comfortable and stair-friendly!
I have an interview in December up north. I was planning to wear the navy skirt suit (with nude hose) that I have worn for my last interviews, but what coat would be appropriate? I live in Florida, so I have very few options in my wardrobe.
I have an elegant off-white wool coat that is very warm, but I feel like it might not come across as business professional because of the color.
Also, what shoes should I wear? I am worried that it will snow, and I don't want my toes to freeze.
I am so clueless when it comes to winter clothes.
I have an elegant off-white wool coat that is very warm, but I feel like it might not come across as business professional because of the color.
Also, what shoes should I wear? I am worried that it will snow, and I don't want my toes to freeze.
I am so clueless when it comes to winter clothes.
I have an interview in December up north. I was planning to wear the navy skirt suit (with nude hose) that I have worn for my last interviews, but what coat would be appropriate? I live in Florida, so I have very few options in my wardrobe.
I have an elegant off-white wool coat that is very warm, but I feel like it might not come across as business professional because of the color.
Also, what shoes should I wear? I am worried that it will snow, and I don't want my toes to freeze.
I am so clueless when it comes to winter clothes.
The ivory coat sounds very appropriate, so no worries there. Do you have any idea what the itinerary is and how much time you'll be outside? Short stretches in your regular heels won't be too bad, but if you're walking through slush, you'll probably need something warmer.
Can you call the admissions office and (very politely) state that since you're from Florida, you don't have much of a winter wardrobe and ask what you'll need?
I know they have a tour organized, but I'm not exactly sure how much of that tour will be spent outside. I think I will call them then, just to make sure. I do have a nice pair of simple black leather booties, but I'm not sure how that would look with the navy pencil skirt....The ivory coat sounds very appropriate, so no worries there. Do you have any idea what the itinerary is and how much time you'll be outside? Short stretches in your regular heels won't be too bad, but if you're walking through slush, you'll probably need something warmer.
Can you call the admissions office and (very politely) state that since you're from Florida, you don't have much of a winter wardrobe and ask what you'll need?
Thanks for the advice!