Wondering what to do...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jimhalpert

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You'd probably need an MCAT score of 34 to balance your low cGPA to make it worth retaking.

Are you still in school raising your GPA?

With an MCAT of 30 you have a chance of acceptance to an SMP. Typically one begins the SMP while applying to med schools, but a decision isn't made on your file until you submit a transcript after fall grades are in. An obvious negative here is that you may not perform as necessary to get a strong degree of consideration, but you have still invested in another expensive application cycle. On the plus side, I recently read that an SMPer who got admitted dropped out of the expensive SMP after the first term, so apparently, you don't necessarily need to complete the program.

When one reapplies, one is generally asked in what way the application has improved since last applying. I would hope you'd have ongoing clinical experience, community service, job, research, leadership, teaching, or other activity updates that adcomms would also view positively.

I would echo the comments above about the fact you should continue to work on your application. An obvious problem is the GPA, which you could chip away at by taking a class or two each semester (like one this semester, one this summer, etc.). And keep up the volunteer work.

If no luck this year, I'd cross-apply to MD and DO schools next year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't retake the MCAT unless you put in a significant amount of prep time and demonstrate 33-34+ on multiple practice tests.

The problem is that your MCAT is a little low, and the gpa is more than just a "little" low. Neither are that bad, but the combo isn't good.

There are a couple of ways you could go.

1. Start studying now for the MCAT. Put in a crazy amount of time and try to get a 35+ in April or May. If you can do this, it would be the quickest way to improve your app.

2. Do a SMP. If you were a science major, it is going to be hard to make a significant improvement in your gpa by just taking a few random classes. if you don't like this option, take ug classes for a year or two.

With the SMP, you may get into med school in the same year, or you may have to wait until you are done and apply again the following cycle. I know it sucks thinking about "wasting" a whole other year, but as long as you are taking steps in the right direction, don't worry about it.

:luck:

Choice #3.
Apply to DO schools if you did not already.
Your stats are competitive and you can get a great education there as well. Check out schools like PCOM. I can't speak too much about any others, although there are plenty of good ones.

So I am in the middle of the app cycle right now, I applied to 26 med schools, have been rejected from 11, so still in the running for 15. No interviews so far...I know its not completely over, but interview invites are winding down I feel...

I have a cGPA of 3.32 and a BPCM of 3.41. I took the MCAT twice once in June, got a 27Q and once at the end of August. The second time I got a 30Q. I applied right after, but wasn't complete until the end of September since I was waiting for my scores. I have decent research, clinical and nonclinical volunteering, and good LOR's.

If I were to reapply for next cycle should I retake the MCAT? If I do a one year SMP program, schools won't see my grades for this program before I apply for the next cycle right, since I want to apply in June? So in that case do I need to take two years off? I am just wondering what people in similar situations did because the point of an SMP is to get a high GPA, but if you apply for the next cycle you don't have any grades from the SMP yet. So technically my reapp is very similar to my current app with the exception of saying I am doing an SMP.

I hope this makes sense, any help or advise would be really appreciated.

You are below average for allopathic schools in both uGPA and MCAT. Taking a third MCAT is definitely not advisable for you. If you scored lower or even the same 30, you will definitely have some difficulty getting into allopathic medical schools especially with your below average uGPA. No LORs, extracurricular activities, MCAT score or research are going to off set those numbers in today's competitive environment. You also need to get your application in early (September is not an option for you under the best of circumstances).

You'd probably need an MCAT score of 34 to balance your low cGPA to make it worth retaking.

Are you still in school raising your GPA?

With an MCAT of 30 you have a chance of acceptance to an SMP. Typically one begins the SMP while applying to med schools, but a decision isn't made on your file until you submit a transcript after fall grades are in. An obvious negative here is that you may not perform as necessary to get a strong degree of consideration, but you have still invested in another expensive application cycle. On the plus side, I recently read that an SMPer who got admitted dropped out of the expensive SMP after the first term, so apparently, you don't necessarily need to complete the program.

When one reapplies, one is generally asked in what way the application has improved since last applying. I would hope you'd have ongoing clinical experience, community service, job, research, leadership, teaching, or other activity updates that adcomms would also view positively.

You can't balance a poor uGPA with MCAT scores or extracurriculars. There are plenty of 3.5 folks out there with high 30s MCATs who are going to receive rejection letters. My two medical schools will be sending out a fair number of these. No, numbers aren't everything but they are very, very important in today's competitive climate. No one should hang their hopes on being the "exception" to the rule in terms of getting in with lower than average numbers.

A very strong performance in an SMP (for credential enhancement) will greatly help the OP as will applying to osteopathic medical schools across the board. In any event, the OP stands the best chance of getting into an osteopathic medical school but even those will not be a "chip shot" these days.

thanks for all the advice!

I will definitely look into DO schools as well next cycle, and the plan is to apply to SMP programs in case nothing works out this application cycle.

I understand that getting a 35+ on the MCAt would help counteract my low GPA a little bit, but do I have any chance if I leave it where it is at a 30Q, and try to dominate SMP classes? or is that too big a risk?

I only ended up finishing secondaries to ten schools this year (I am a reapplicant). There is no way I could have done 26.

Last year I had a couple interviews and a couple rejections. This year I did a lot better job of choosing where to apply and understanding what I liked about each school. My results were way better this year (7/10 interview invites, 2 acceptances so far). I think understanding why I was applying to each school helped a lot.

I understand that getting a 35+ on the MCAt would help counteract my low GPA a little bit, but do I have any chance if I leave it where it is at a 30Q, and try to dominate SMP classes? or is that too big a risk?
IMO, it's too big a risk not to retake the MCAT and do better, but a better opinion would come from the counseling office of the SMP you attend, as they'll know the success stories of their alumns and the lowest MCAT score with a decent chance of a successful allopathic application from their institution. Be aware: When SMP programs quote their success ratios for med school acceptance, they often (usually?) don't differentiate between MD and DO acceptances.

Be aware: When SMP programs quote their success ratios for med school acceptance, they often (usually?) don't differentiate between MD and DO acceptances.

Why should they? An acceptance to med school is an acceptance to med school...
allopathic/MD medicine fellow

OP, you really need to ace all your classes this semester, if you can.
If you retake the MCAT, you need to be really sure you can do better. Only you know your history and capabilities with standardized tests. It seems like it would be hard to study enough by April/May if you already have a full time class schedule. Maybe you'd be better off to retake this summer, if you do it.

I will definitely look into DO schools as well next cycle, and the plan is to apply to SMP programs in case nothing works out this application cycle.
An acceptance to med school is an acceptance to med school...
My point is that the OP is competitive for many DO schools now, without completing an expensive SMP.

i would agree with what everyone has advised so far :thumbup: i don't think you're doomed with your stats. getting a higher MCAT is always a plus if you can put the time and dedication into studying for it to ensure you will score higher than a 30.

if you're interested in DO, that's a good route to go too, but don't treat it was a "backup" to MD schools. DO schools are getting more competitive and adcoms want to see genuine interested in osteopathy.

a year off if you don't get into a school would be best spent improving that GPA with an SMP or improving your ECs if needed. like you, i applied one year and got nothing. i only wanted to spend 1 year off, but took 2 instead. rather than an SMP i got an MPH and am taking this year to work with a fellowship and apply. there's nothing wrong with taking 2 years off, just spend those 2 years wisely to improve your application.

good luck to you! and stay optimistic! lots of people don't get in the first time and get in the second time around

thank you all for your help! This really helped a lot and in case it doesn't happen this cycle I will make the proper adjustments for next time!