Woo hoo!! UIC Acceptance!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sandflea

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
woo hoo!!! i got into UIC! this is SUCH a weight off my shoulders!

reapplicants, it can be done! :) :) :)

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations, sandflea! I'm been following yours posts for awhile (even before I was an SDN member). Now, you can bask in the happiness and enjoy the rest of this year. After all, you just need one acceptance!

:)

Congrats Sandflea!
Good luck!
L :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats, Sandflea!!!!

You got in to one of my top choice schools! I know some folks that graduated this year from UICCOM, and they LOVED it there--are you gonna accept UIC and withdraw other apps, or wait for other acceptances? What changes did you make on your application this time around? Did UIC reject you before, or is this your first time applying there?

Congratulations!! That's awesome and you must be so excited! Now you can have a super weekend celebrating. :) :)

Originally posted by nochaser:
•Congrats, Sandflea!!!!

You got in to one of my top choice schools! I know some folks that graduated this year from UICCOM, and they LOVED it there--are you gonna accept UIC and withdraw other apps, or wait for other acceptances? What changes did you make on your application this time around? Did UIC reject you before, or is this your first time applying there?•

thanks for the congrats and well wishes, everyone!! this is my second time applying, and the first time around UIC never even interviewed me. this time i got an interview on the very first day they were interviewing regular-decision applicants and now gotten an acceptance less than two weeks later!!! so it can be done! i'm so happy!

i'm not withdrawing any apps at this point, but since i applied to many schools in other parts of the country, i can now afford to be more picky about what interviews i'll accept since i have an acceptance at a chicago school, where i want to be.

since being rejected the first time, i published more papers (1st author on two), went back to school (nearly finished with an MPH--4.0 GPA in grad school), and upped my ECs/volunteer experiences. i did not retake the MCAT.

woo hoo!! this is a great weekend!

Congrats Sandflea! UIC is my top choice, in fact your acceptance is getting me nervous because I also interviewed on the same day as you. Who were you if I might ask (you can just email me if you want)? I am very happy for you and hope to be in your class next year! :D :D

Congrats.
I really envy u.
It should be such a relief. Now you only have to wait to hear other schools out.
Good job and enjoy yourself through the coming year.

Sandflea,

How is the MPH program? I graduate next semester (or next summer, depending)and am considering grad school and reapplying to med school. two former premeds I know(they dropped premed before even taking MCAT and applying) are in MBA programs and are encouraging me to go this route instead of MPH. I'm leaning toward MPH. Are you in the Master's program?

Hey Sandflea you rock! Congratulations on such an early acceptance. Your story is quite inspiring and I think you should write a book;(no kidding). Good stuff. :)

Originally posted by MedPuck:
•Congrats Sandflea! UIC is my top choice, in fact your acceptance is getting me nervous because I also interviewed on the same day as you. Who were you if I might ask (you can just email me if you want)? I am very happy for you and hope to be in your class next year! :D :D

were you in the morning session at the chicago campus on the 8th, medpuck? if so, then i probably met you.

my letter was postmarked just yesterday (fri the 18th) so you may have not gotten it in the mail yet. i didn't even think my interview went that great so this is such great news! :)

sandflea, that's fantastic! Congratulations!!! I interview there on oct 30, so it's good to see that they have a very speedy turnaround time.

That is awesome....Congratulations.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes I interviewed in the a.m. on the 8th, My name is Shawn. I think I remember you from your affiliation with the UIC MPH program. It was great to meet you and good luck finishing up the MPH. Congrats and hope to see you next year. You deserve it after all the hard work and drive! ;)

Congratulations on your acceptance. Can you tell me how you were notified of your acceptance.

Originally posted by nochaser:
•Sandflea,
two former premeds I know(they dropped premed before even taking MCAT and applying) are in MBA programs and are encouraging me to go this route instead of MPH. I'm leaning toward MPH. Are you in the Master's program?•

i think what you do should depend on what your interests are. what seems more interesting to you, business or public health? i have zero interest in business but want to go into public health as a physician, so it was a no-brainer for me. not getting into med school the first time was almost a signal for me to pursue the MPH, which i had been thinking about anyway.

don't try to pick a degree based on what you think will impress adcoms the most. while i realize that medicine is most likely a big goal for you, don't center your life's decisions around it. an adcom will be impressed with any graduate degree. sure, some (like an MS in bio) will speak more directly to your ability to handle higher-level science courses. but i think you should use grad school as an opportunity to expand upon your interests--see it as an additional educational opportunity. maybe take some graduate bio courses as electives--that's what i did. but whatever you do, DO WELL.

you can PM me if you have any other questions.

•Yes I interviewed in the a.m. on the 8th, My name is Shawn. •

how funny that i met an SDNer and didn't realize it! i think i remember you. thanks for the luck and i'm sure your letter is in the mail! :D good luck!

If you dont mind me asking Sandflea, what were your stats?

Thanks, Sandflea! Good luck and let us know which school you decide upon.(Hope it's UIC!) ;)

congrats, fireegg!!! were you there on the 8th too? i remember that there were a few CA people there that day...

For those of you who got accepted, did you get an email from one of the student interviewers congratulating you today? I just got one a little while ago. The funny thing is, I haven't heard anything yet, so I don't know what to make of this. I don't know who this interviewer is, because I don't think she interviewed me. I don't know whether to be happy, or what.

Argh.

Adam

yes, i got that email too. she was one of the tour guides the day i was there.

i am just guessing, but i would think she would be very careful about who she sent the email to, so it could be a good sign. but aren't you in IL? i am too and i got the letter the day after they sent it (friday, and i got it saturday). you could call to check the status of your app, which i think they do on thursdays....

Yeah...I am in Illinois, but my parents where everything is being sent are in Cali. So, yeah...I'm going to call tomorrow morning. I think that email gives me a good enough excuse. I interviewed at Rockford, and I don't think she was my tour guide :) Hopefully it'll be good news tomorrow. Wish me luck :)

Adam

I received an email saying that UIC reviewed my file and has not reached a decision yet. They will continue to review my file throughout the duration of the process. I am so bummed, even though I haven't been officially rejected, I want to be admitted so bad! I also really want a chance to get the Chicago campus location, which is first come first serve. Anyways, congrats to everyone else and maybe, just maybe I'll get in during the next review. :eek:

Originally posted by Rumit:
•Yeah...I am in Illinois, but my parents where everything is being sent are in Cali. So, yeah...I'm going to call tomorrow morning. I think that email gives me a good enough excuse. I interviewed at Rockford, and I don't think she was my tour guide :) Hopefully it'll be good news tomorrow. Wish me luck :)

Adam•

I was at Rockford on the 10th too and just got my acceptance yesturday. =)

sc: Congratulations! Cool, which one were you, if you don't mind my asking? :) :) What did you think of Rockford? I was the white guy in the black suit (it really sets me apart) :D :D

Later,

Adam

•I received an email saying that UIC reviewed my file and has not reached a decision yet. They will continue to review my file throughout the duration of the process. I am so bummed, even though I haven't been officially rejected, I want to be admitted so bad! I also really want a chance to get the Chicago campus location, which is first come first serve. Anyways, congrats to everyone else and maybe, just maybe I'll get in during the next review. :eek:

that's too bad, medpuck, but i really wouldn't stress. it's still VERY early in the game, and i'm sure the chicago campus is still wide-open. your app will have many more opportunities to be reviewed so it's probably just a matter of time--you still have an advantage over other applicants at this point. keep the faith, and keep us posted! :)

Whew! I finally got the letter in the mail, so now I know it's official. I'm in somewhere. It's pretty relieving to know that you'll at least be at a school next year. While the school didn't impress me a whole lot and I still haven't heard from the MD/PhD admissions it still is a big relief.

Good luck to the rest of you.

Adam

Originally posted by Rumit:
•sc: Congratulations! Cool, which one were you, if you don't mind my asking? :) :) What did you think of Rockford? I was the white guy in the black suit (it really sets me apart) :D :D

Later,

Adam•

I was the one from near the area. I really wasn't impressed with my visit. It wasn't necessarily bad but I didn't like how the students bashed Rockford the ENTIRE time. I thought it was a little uncalled for...my experience could have been a result of the rainy weather or my oncoming cold, too.

Congratulations, though! It IS exciting getting an acceptance. =) =) =)

And...GOOD LUCK!!!

Congrats to all of you that got in at UIC!