Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Woohoo, one month down!

Discussion in 'Internal Medicine and IM Subspecialties' started by Mumpu, Jul 22, 2006.

1. Mumpu

Mumpu Burninator, MD

Ward at a county hospital, worked 279 hours.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. gutonc

gutonc No Meat, No Treat
    Administrator Physician PhD

Attending Physician
    Oh man, don't I wish it was over. University hospital MICU, Q3 (but w/ night float so only a few 30h shifts) but the first block for us is 5+ weeks long. I started on June 26 and I'm not done until 8/2. Good times.

BE (now PE)

4. Mumpu

Mumpu Burninator, MD

Just started ICU at county. I'm having a great time after the wards, actually using my diagnostic skills and taking care of sick people rather than doing dispo on rocks. Plus ICU gets me out of my %&^$ continuity clinic for a month (dear ACGME, do I really need to sit on a chair for four hours a week and use my MD to diagnose musculoskeletal pain on the one patient out of five who actually shows up to make me a better doctor?).

5. orientedtoself

orientedtoself resident

308 hours for me. . .

6. DoctorSax

DoctorSax Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Pretty amazing, right? 80 hours...averaged over the month...roughly...

Week 1: 86 hours
    Week 2: 68 hours
    Week 3: 102 hours
    Week 4: 52 hours

Total: 304 hours

CCU q3 overnight is rough, yo.

But I still like it and that post call day off is like sweet sweet nectar. On to the wards next--at a hospital where I hear they manage pressors on the floor.

Uy.

DS

7. BigBadBix

BigBadBix Senior Member

Ahh, the end is so close...just one 30 hour call left tomorrow. Love the MICU, but I'm totally exhausted from the past month. What a shock to the system after fourth year:

Week 1: 90
    Week 2: 90
    Week 3: 68
    Week 4: 81
    Avg: 82.25...so close!

Total: 329 on Q4...plus 41 hours this week up through Wednesday morning when I move to the floors. I pretty much only know how to manage sepsis, ARDS, and GIB at this point, so this should be interesting!