Woohoo, one month down!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mumpu

Burninator, MD
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ward at a county hospital, worked 279 hours.

Members don't see this ad.

Oh man, don't I wish it was over. University hospital MICU, Q3 (but w/ night float so only a few 30h shifts) but the first block for us is 5+ weeks long. I started on June 26 and I'm not done until 8/2. Good times.

BE (now PE)

Just started ICU at county. I'm having a great time after the wards, actually using my diagnostic skills and taking care of sick people rather than doing dispo on rocks. Plus ICU gets me out of my %&^$ continuity clinic for a month (dear ACGME, do I really need to sit on a chair for four hours a week and use my MD to diagnose musculoskeletal pain on the one patient out of five who actually shows up to make me a better doctor?).

Members don't see this ad :)
Pretty amazing, right? 80 hours...averaged over the month...roughly...

Week 1: 86 hours
Week 2: 68 hours
Week 3: 102 hours
Week 4: 52 hours

Total: 304 hours

CCU q3 overnight is rough, yo.

But I still like it and that post call day off is like sweet sweet nectar. On to the wards next--at a hospital where I hear they manage pressors on the floor.

Uy.

DS

Ahh, the end is so close...just one 30 hour call left tomorrow. Love the MICU, but I'm totally exhausted from the past month. What a shock to the system after fourth year:

Week 1: 90
Week 2: 90
Week 3: 68
Week 4: 81
Avg: 82.25...so close!

Total: 329 on Q4...plus 41 hours this week up through Wednesday morning when I move to the floors. I pretty much only know how to manage sepsis, ARDS, and GIB at this point, so this should be interesting!