Word/character limit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

saa09

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When writing secondary essay, how close should I be to the character limit?
I to be as close as possible, but sometimes I really don't think that I can do it (such as for some schools that allow a huge number of characters to describe why you want to go there)

Members don't see this ad.

I to be as close as possible, but sometimes I really don't think that I can do it (such as for some schools that allow a huge number of characters to describe why you want to go there)

I have a rhyme to help you out:

"Respect the limit, but don't completely fill it!"

:p

In all seriousness though, if they give you a 3000char limit, don't give them 1000 back. It shows a lack of effort IMHO. 2000-2500 would be fine I think.

I'd shoot for 3/4s the character limit in order to be safe.

Members don't see this ad :)
In essays that say "limit responses to one page" I've been filling up about 2/3rds single spaced. If I tried to stretch them any further it would just be diarrhea all over the page instead of leaving it concise but good.

um... maybe have someone edit those for grammar... but you should say what you need to say and then stop... don't put someone through reading unnecessary literary vomit.

I believe that they would rather read a concise and well-written essay that doesn't reach the limit than a verbose and empty one that does.

With that in mind, I'd still be sure to at least go half the word limit or more no matter what.