Words of encouragement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cheesewoman

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay,
I am currently gearing up for my third med school attempt. Stats: 27 mcat, 3.5 gpa undergrad, 3.9 gpa grad, mid-way through my mph in epidemiology, volunteered and worked in an ER, volunteered in trauma center's surgery ward, and other volunteer work at humane society, meals on wheels, medical reserve corps, etc. I have extensive clinical research experience and am currently employed at UT Southwestern's medical center working on an NIH funded research trial. I have great lors from one of the mds I worked under doing research and my grad school major professor. I really think I've covered all my bases as much as possible (aside from the mcat score, which will expire next year so I will be retaking it if I'm not accepted this year), but I'm still feeling really insecure about another rejection. I definitely know this is what I want and I'm hoping my perseverance will get me some extra points. Can anyone offer any other suggestions to strengthen my application (other than retaking the mcat)? Or if anyone is willing to offer some words of encouragement, that would also be greatly appreciated as I'm really stressing out over this.

Members don't see this ad.

There is absolutely no reason you shouldn't get in unless you've only been applying to top-tier schools, or you are good with interviews. Make sure you apply broadly, and practice interview questions with an audience, just in case.

Your stats and experiences are strikingly similar to my own, save for the MCAT score (30+). How did you fair this year, e.g. number of interviews, rejections, waitlists?

My initial thoughts are that maybe you either applied to too many reach schools or your interview skills are sorely lacking. I don't mean to be harsh, but if this is now your third time applying, then you are in serious need of some tough criticism of your past applications to find out where your faults lie.

You owe it to yourself to do this now and I honestly believe it will pay off for you in the end. I know it did for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Cheesewoman said:
Okay,
I am currently gearing up for my third med school attempt. Stats: 27 mcat, 3.5 gpa undergrad, 3.9 gpa grad, mid-way through my mph in epidemiology, volunteered and worked in an ER, volunteered in trauma center's surgery ward, and other volunteer work at humane society, meals on wheels, medical reserve corps, etc. I have extensive clinical research experience and am currently employed at UT Southwestern's medical center working on an NIH funded research trial. I have great lors from one of the mds I worked under doing research and my grad school major professor. I really think I've covered all my bases as much as possible (aside from the mcat score, which will expire next year so I will be retaking it if I'm not accepted this year), but I'm still feeling really insecure about another rejection. I definitely know this is what I want and I'm hoping my perseverance will get me some extra points. Can anyone offer any other suggestions to strengthen my application (other than retaking the mcat)? Or if anyone is willing to offer some words of encouragement, that would also be greatly appreciated as I'm really stressing out over this.
The best of luck. There are many in the same boat you're in. Apply early!

It's funny how slight improvements in people's stats leads to gigantic differences in adcoms impressions of them. Say you graduate with a 3.55 and you take 30 credits pf physiology biochem etc and move that to a 3.7. Then you change your MCAT from a 30 to a 33 or a 34 after you stufy a lot more.

All of sudden you didn;t change that much but you went from where seemingly everyone is at and struggling to get in 3.55 and 30 MCAT to a a 34 and a 3.7 and get your choices of schools.

Amazing what a little change on the margins will do for an applicant.

Cheesewoman,

are you applying to DO or MD programs. Your EC is great. What part of MCAT is bringing you down?

I'm a Texas resident so I'm basically just applying to 5 md schools in Texas and a couple out of state that I think I might have a chance with. The first time I applied (2004), I got 2 interviews and was waitlisted at one school. I applied 2005 with basically the same application and got zero interviews. So I skipped the 2006 cycle to beef up my application (lors, job at southwestern, mph, good grad school gpa, etc.). tmdsas applications became available may 1st and I will be sending off my application by may 30th, which I think should be considered early enough. I don't think my interview skills are awful as I did get waitlisted the first time. The second time, I think I applied a little later and there had been no change to my application so that may have reflected negatively on me. My mcat was 10V 8P 9B, but that test was so miserable that I'm dreading retaking it as I think I'll probably do worse. I really think that skipping a cycle has greatly improved my application, but I'm still really paranoid. I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance that my app is in fairly good shape.

You have improved your application. it will boost your chances. i am assuming that you are writing new or atleast changing your personal statment.

Good luck

Another multiple applicant here. (4 times... made it to the wait-list last year, and my chances were great for this year, but my school of choice took in a WHOLE LOT of Katrina-affected applicants... so basically, most of the wait-list was tossed, myself included.) And to top it off (the rest of my app is great - dean of admissions told me so!), my MCAT score is now expired, so I have to prepare to take it again in August. So close, then having to fight so hard again!

That being said, this is what I really want to do with my life. I can't envision doing anything else. So I'm gonna fight like hell for it! And I hope that if this is what you really want, you'll do the same! Wouldn't you hate to look back one day and say, "What if I'd given it one more try?"

So I wish you the best of luck, and don't get discouraged. I know that's easier said than done... but you can do this! It sounds like you have a lot of great things going your way!

lsumedgirl said:
Another multiple applicant here. (4 times... made it to the wait-list last year, and my chances were great for this year, but my school of choice took in a WHOLE LOT of Katrina-affected applicants... so basically, most of the wait-list was tossed, myself included.) And to top it off (the rest of my app is great - dean of admissions told me so!), my MCAT score is now expired, so I have to prepare to take it again in August. So close, then having to fight so hard again!

That being said, this is what I really want to do with my life. I can't envision doing anything else. So I'm gonna fight like hell for it! And I hope that if this is what you really want, you'll do the same! Wouldn't you hate to look back one day and say, "What if I'd given it one more try?"

So I wish you the best of luck, and don't get discouraged. I know that's easier said than done... but you can do this! It sounds like you have a lot of great things going your way!

Will this be the 5th time you have been trying to get into medical school?

You must certaintly have been through a lot of trying moments and emotional ups and downs. You certaintly have perseverance.

keep driving on, with stats like that you're bound to go somewhere. it may not be your top choice, but somewhere. apply to as many as possible. then pick the best acceptance letter from there. didn't you say your mcat will expire soon? you never know who will take you if you don't apply. you'll get in...don't give up!

Cheesewoman said:
My mcat was 10V 8P 9B

Far out, that is my EXACT MCAT score distribution >). I was rejected for 2006 (first time) and now I'm working on applying for 2007. I also retook the April MCAT but don't have my score yet. You EC's are better than mine though. I'm mainly applying to TN schools. Best of luck to us both!

Cheesewoman said:
I'm a Texas resident so I'm basically just applying to 5 md schools in Texas and a couple out of state that I think I might have a chance with. The first time I applied (2004), I got 2 interviews and was waitlisted at one school. I applied 2005 with basically the same application and got zero interviews. So I skipped the 2006 cycle to beef up my application (lors, job at southwestern, mph, good grad school gpa, etc.). tmdsas applications became available may 1st and I will be sending off my application by may 30th, which I think should be considered early enough. I don't think my interview skills are awful as I did get waitlisted the first time. The second time, I think I applied a little later and there had been no change to my application so that may have reflected negatively on me. My mcat was 10V 8P 9B, but that test was so miserable that I'm dreading retaking it as I think I'll probably do worse. I really think that skipping a cycle has greatly improved my application, but I'm still really paranoid. I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance that my app is in fairly good shape.
IMO, you need to apply to more schools if you can afford it and if you are willing to leave TX. I applied to 22 schools this year, and I know of people who applied to even 30 or 40 of them (which might be overkill). Your stats are not too low to get an acceptance, but they are average. I agree with the posters who said you can get in somewhere, but you should cast a much wider net to have the greatest chance. Best of :luck: to you.

Why are u applying to 5 schools in TX? TX has 8 med schools, 7 md and 1 do.