Work and COVID-19

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hachamor_persists

Reaction score
I'm working on the job search as a pre-vet and have been getting a lot of we're not hiring right now but I'll hold onto your resume for later responses. Maybe it's just my area or I need to reach out to a few more clinics (working on it), but I suspect I'm not the only one. There's an internship thread and an impact on school thread, but I thought it might be helpful to have a work thread too. Besides the lack of openings, I thought it would be interesting and helpful to talk about what safety practices look like. I suspect that they'll vary a bit by COVID-19 case density and practice type.

Members don't see this ad.

I think honestly you are gonna be hard pressed to find anyone who’s willing to take on, train, and have the budget to fairly pay a new assistant in the middle of a global pandemic.

Even though my state is in phase 1 and we can let owners in, my clinic is still currently curbside only. The owner sees too much liability in any of us getting sick or an owner getting sick. There’s currently no temp checks or anything like that for us though. This is a SA practice in an area with a fairly high number of cases.

Reactions: 3 users
@itsrocky, very fair take. I may or may not qualify as fairly new? I've worked with cats, dogs, and lab rodents (plus a smidge of companion exotics; I can handle a wide variety but am not well-versed in talking through husbandry for all sorts) in medical settings, and with several clinics in my current search range expanding to take pocket pets, I'm hoping that'll make me a worthwhile addition even if they aren't ready to take me on right this moment. My region isn't (yet :() feeling the economic hit as bad as some others, so I'm hopeful that pets will be staying in homes even if some care gets delayed. Maybe I'm too much of an optimist? I'm expecting the job hunt to take longer than otherwise, and just started this thread because I figured I'm not the only one. Also (tbh, in large part) to make sure that a clinic that's willing to take the chance on a new( to them )bie isn't one that's also gambling with safety; sometimes there's a reason places are hiring.

On that note, curbside is also standard where I am. I take it also masks (and gloves?) where you are? Most clinics in my area seem to be keeping their hours and still doing well visits.

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m in rural Georgia and even though our state is opening back up we’re still doing things curbside with gowns, masks, and gloves. And it’s getting miserable as we push into summer! We were busy before the pandemic but have gotten even busier during. The nearest ER is a solid hour away and a few other hospitals closed so we’ve been taking a lot of urgent things for both clients and non-clients. Anyway... we had 2 new hires start this week :unsure:

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
@itsrocky, very fair take. I may or may not qualify as fairly new? I've worked with cats, dogs, and lab rodents (plus a smidge of companion exotics; I can handle a wide variety but am not well-versed in talking through husbandry for all sorts) in medical settings, and with several clinics in my current search range expanding to take pocket pets, I'm hoping that'll make me a worthwhile addition even if they aren't ready to take me on right this moment. My region isn't (yet :() feeling the economic hit as bad as some others, so I'm hopeful that pets will be staying in homes even if some care gets delayed. Maybe I'm too much of an optimist? I'm expecting the job hunt to take longer than otherwise, and just started this thread because I figured I'm not the only one. Also (tbh, in large part) to make sure that a clinic that's willing to take the chance on a new( to them )bie isn't one that's also gambling with safety; sometimes there's a reason places are hiring.

On that note, curbside is also standard where I am. I take it also masks (and gloves?) where you are? Most clinics in my area seem to be keeping their hours and still doing well visits.

PPE seems to be up to us. I personally wear it

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Job search is in progress, but positions exist. COVID-19 is definitely affecting the process (lots of phone interviews and email backing-and-forthing).

:thinkies:So far, in my area, everyone seems to be doing curbside pet drop-off and (mostly) wearing masks. I've been keeping an eye out for whether and how clinics are "podding" (keeping locations or departments separate, not rotating staff between them) and how much they've got the hang of masks--while understanding that stuff can be difficult to implement. I'm not the only person in my household working outside the home, so I really don't want COVID-19 to use my household to jump from workplace to workplace :( Hopefully it doesn't come to that.

I just finished undergrad and start vet school in August. I was very lucky to have my summer job I lined up hold and even luckier to have my boss provide housing. We are in WVA (far from home or school) an hour and a half outside DC. I am assisting the vet techs doing whatever I can. I have learned to do venipuncture and about ear cytology just to name a couple. I had worked as a vet assistant in small animal and vet tech in equine in the past but really wanted more small animal before starting school (it had been since high school when I last did that). I have managed to get two full months of work in. I'll leave about two weeks before orientation starts to take a vacation at a lake and then move into my apartment.

We are now doing curbside only. Masks all the time while at work. We all work anywhere in the facility that we are needed but I have felt very safe and that all precautions have been taken. This is a general practice and veterinary hospital with a good many surgeries I can watch. We are very swamped and one of the techs left to go start her first year of vet school at Mississippi State soon after I came. I'm just very grateful that my vet was willing to take on a student at this time!

Just a note I got a kitten while I've been here (5 weeks old and abandoned). He suffered from hypoglycemia and hypothermia and I have been giving him round the clock care. He nearly died but is doing better! Vet was wonderful with him. I have learned more than I ever knew about very small kitten care.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 3 users
I just finished undergrad and start vet school in August. I was very lucky to have my summer job I lined up hold and even luckier to have my boss provide housing. We are in WVA (far from home or school) an hour and a half outside DC. I am assisting the vet techs doing whatever I can. I have learned to do venipuncture and about ear cytology just to name a couple. I had worked as a vet assistant in small animal and vet tech in equine in the past but really wanted more small animal before starting school (it had been since high school when I last did that). I have managed to get two full months of work in. I'll leave about two weeks before orientation starts to take a vacation at a lake and then move into my apartment.

We are now doing curbside only. Masks all the time while at work. We all work anywhere in the facility that we are needed but I have felt very safe and that all precautions have been taken. This is a general practice and veterinary hospital with a good many surgeries I can watch. We are very swamped and one of the techs left to go start her first year of vet school at Mississippi State soon after I came. I'm just very grateful that my vet was willing to take on a student at this time!

Just a note I got a kitten while I've been here (5 weeks old and abandoned). He suffered from hypoglycemia and hypothermia and I have been giving him round the clock care. He nearly died but is doing better! Vet was wonderful with him. I have learned more than I ever knew about very small kitten care.

Sounds like your job is perfect for a soon-to-be vet student! I got a lot of similar experience working at a clinic here in KC during high school and after my first year of undergrad, but I haven't gone back there since I left last summer for college. If you don't mind sharing, how did you get the position outside of DC? Is housing included there? I recall you're from TX and also a student at KSU, so that's definitely quite far from both Kansas and Texas! I hope your kitten is doing well, are you planning on keeping him and bringing him to Manhattan?

Reactions: 1 users
I just found this thread, and figured I would make a post here. I had not 1, not 2, but 3 separate job opportunities cancelled this summer because of COVID-19. I originally had an internship lined up for the college town I'm in, but I ended up declining it due to a housing issue (my apartment had mold and I did not want to live there any longer than I absolutely had to and could not afford to get separate summer housing, as paying rent on two places at once is definitely not ideal). The internship ended up getting cancelled anyway because of the pandemic, but I guess fortunately I was able to decide against that one mainly on my own terms, even if they were slightly out of my control. I was also offered an internship at an animal health pharmaceutical company, which ended up getting cancelled as well about a week after I interviewed for and was offered the position. My final summer job opportunity was being the manager at a local pool (not vet-related at all, but a great opportunity that paid well and would be amazing leadership experience). However, our community is not opening the pool due to severe budget constraints and cannot justify opening the pool, because it will cost the town $350,000 minimum to pay for the employees while having a severe decrease in revenue due to social distancing and a much smaller maximum occupancy. I have worked at that pool since I was 14, so it's definitely been hard to accept that this is my first summer in 7 years without the pool.

I work in a research lab on KSU's campus, and I am doing remote research this summer for my PI. I am thankful that I can continue to work there remotely, as they are unsure if undergrads will even be allowed in the labs this fall. I am not a huge fan of the work I am doing remotely (it's vastly different from my research project), but it's a job, and it's even one that is semi-related to my future field of study, so that's better than nothing. I also started working a part-time job doing data entry for my mom's company, and it is not enjoyable, but it's paying for my schooling and my rent (I pay for college without any help from my parents). This summer has definitely not been at all what I expected, but I am managing to make ends meet and can continue saving up for vet school.

I am very fortunate to have employment this summer, even if they are basically my plan D jobs. A lot more people are unemployed and cannot find a job at all, so I am fortunate in that regard, and I will manage this summer, even though the pandemic definitely put a big wrench in my plans.

• Sad
@alleycat03 Actually I got the job through contacts. The vet is a KSU CVM alumni and an alumni of my Fraternity. So a friend got me the interview with his relative. Housing is included but really only because of the contact. It was a perfect deal for me. I worked as a CVA in high school for a SA clinic in TX, then for a traveling equine vet (also a KSU CVM alumni) for the next few summers. This was a little more learning and tech like for SA than what I had before.

It has been great seeing another part of the country. I am working 50 hour weeks though! It is good because I like it here and get paid overtime. Most of the vets here (there are 5) have KSU connections. One is a recent graduate.

I do plan on keeping the kitten and bringing him with me. I hope he continues to improve so I can do that. I have a carrier, bed and litter box and am going to get a nice cat tree when I get in my apartment. I checked with my roommates and they are good with me bringing the kitten!

Last edited:
@alleycat03 Actually I got the job through contacts. The vet is a KSU CVM alumni and an alumni of my Fraternity. So relative of a friend got me the interview. Housing is included but really only because of the contact. It was a perfect deal for me. I worked as a CVA in high school for a SA clinic in TX, then for a traveling equine vet (also a KSU CVM alumni) for the next few summers. This was a little more learning and tech like for SA than what I had before.

It has been great seeing another part of the country. Most of the vets here (there are 5) have KSU connections. One is a recent graduate.

I do plan on keeping the kitten and bringing him with me. I hope he continues to improve so I can do that. I have a carrier, bed and litter box and am going to get a nice cat tree when I get in my apartment. I checked with my roommates and they are good with me brining the kitten!
Wow, that is an awesome way to find a job! I am amazed at all of the KSU connections you managed to find, and that sounds like a sweet job to have. I was just a "veterinary assistant" at the veterinary clinic I worked at, and like many students worked my way up from kennel work to shadowing to getting the vet assistant position. My position was a lot of cleaning, restocking supplies, doing laundry, animal restraint, and monitoring animals during surgery. I did get to fill prescriptions, help give vaccines, and even learned how to do blood draws. Since I was not a certified vet tech, there was a limit on what I was able to do. Unfortunately the clinic did not have a great work environment (mainly due to the office manager, front desk staff, and high employee turnover, as the vet was wonderful) so I decided it was best for me to not return there this summer.

That sounds like a great cat set-up so far. My cat (who's just barely a kitten, she turns 1 in a month) loves her scratching post. My previous apartment was small, so I did not have an elaborate cat tree, but I am hoping to get one for my new rental house in Manhattan. My roommates love my cat, and we have extra space in the house for a cat tree, so I'm looking forward to getting one. Cats are definitely fun creatures with unique personalities. I'm sure you'll discover that as your kitten gets older! Would you drive or fly with your kitten?

Saw this and just had to post! So I was off for maybe 7 weeks from April to late May because I had multiple exposure risks to COVID 19 (long story lol). Anyways I’m in my 4th week of being back full time and it’s killing me. We are still doing car side and that slows everything down. I work as a Vet Assistant at a small animal GP. We are a small practice with 2 doctors on staff. We’ve been booking like crazy and it seems like now we’re almost finally catching up. It’s been pretty hard for me. I’m not used to working full time. I’ve been working 5 days a week averaging 45 hours. In addition, I’m volunteering at a wildlife rehabilitation center to gain extra experience for 12-15 hours. It’s a lot and I’m having trouble finding motivation to get me application done because I’m tired and working all the time. It’s a lot and I don’t want to procrastinate too much because I’m really trying to get in somewhere this cycle.

• Sad
Just a small update. My kitten passed away. :( Vet thinks he may have had congenital problems. I'm going to look at the shelters for a girl kitten. It was sad.

• Sad
Reactions: 9 users
Just a small update. My kitten passed away. :( Vet thinks he may have had congenital problems. I'm going to look at the shelters for a girl kitten. It was sad.

I'm so sorry to hear that :( it is kitten season right now so I am sure there are lots of other kittens looking to be adopted once you are ready, but I know you must be experiencing a lot of tough emotions. I lost my older cat (the one in my picture) in November so I know the grief can be very hard and it takes a while to heal from that. If you want to wait a little while longer, the shelter in Manhattan is a good place to look too. If you need anything, even just someone to commiserate with, my inbox is open.

Reactions: 1 user
Work is going well and I was able to adopt a new kitten from a rescue! They decided I wasn't someone from Don't F&*k With Cats from Netflix and wiaved the rule I had to be from the state. They called all my references, the vet I work for and did a virtual home visit. Thanks all and good luck with work and the rest of the summer.