Work as CNA without CNA certification?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cheesier

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was planning on getting my CNA certification and going for a job at the hospital, but all of the courses have filled up several months in advance. On all of the hospital job listings that I've seen, CNAs are required to have hospital experience and certification. Has anyone ever had any luck getting into one of these positions without their CNA license? I'm pretty sure that you can take the test without formally completing a course in most states as long as you have the requisite work experience. Is that correct?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey!

At the hospital where I work, you don't have to be a CNA to work as a nurse's aide. We have classes here (8hrs a day for a week...or 2? I can't remember now, lol) that the nurse's aides take offered through the hospital. You have to take a test after the classes are over and then train on the floor for awhile too.

I've worked as an aide for a little over 2 years now and love it. So yes, it's possible but I think it varies hospital to hospital. :)

Hope that helps!

I was planning on getting my CNA certification and going for a job at the hospital, but all of the courses have filled up several months in advance. On all of the hospital job listings that I've seen, CNAs are required to have hospital experience and certification. Has anyone ever had any luck getting into one of these positions without their CNA license? I'm pretty sure that you can take the test without formally completing a course in most states as long as you have the requisite work experience. Is that correct?
Mann you do NOT need a cna license for a hospital. I have mine and have been trying to get a this big county hospital forever. I started at a nursinghome, rehab center, small hosptial then go in. When I started all the other Techs and PCA's were nursing students and some just completed their cna a few days ago and it was their first job:confused: I think I got in because at the interview I said I was a premedical student and plan on going there after medical school (Parkland in Dallas). Moral of story... If its a teaching hosptial tell them your a student.

Hey,

Here in MA hospitals require a CNA license (or years of experience). They're pretty strict about that, and I believe you need training or work experience to sit for the CNA exam. It varies from state to state. Trying asking your local Red Cross for info.

Assisted living centers may be less strict.

I tried applying for a "free" CNA/HHA course through hospitals/nursing homes, but places were either booked months in advance or stopped free training altogether due to budget problems. When I was looking for jobs, all hospitals required a CNA license. I got a job in an assisted living facility before being licensed as a CNA, but they knew I was in the process of waiting for the exam. (It takes a long time!)

Best,

Fay