Work at home pharmacists?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You should move to the cities then...oh come on, you know it will be FUN! :D Mail order + stay at HOME + in a BIG city = FUN! :thumbup:

i'm with ya cee :love:

Members don't see this ad.

If you are this real in the real world and are doing this well, then congratulations. I had to fake my *ss off to get to where I am since the real me pisses people off too much. I never had to suck up to anyone yet, but I do like to take advantage of the kindness of strangers.

Stupid question, but were you this blunt when asking for letters of recommendation? "I need a letter for pharmacy. Oh, dental? Forget that, I don't like people." Were you this blunt during your interview? If you were and you still got in...

I might have given the wrong impressions in my previous posts about hating people! :laugh: I don't hate people, I don't hate any individual, I don't wish harm on others etc. I am not the anti social freaky type that I sound on here sometimes. :laugh:I have a ton of friends and I love talking and interacting with them.

I just hate the way pharmacists are treated at retail pharmacies (rude customers) and hospital pharmacies (b*tchy nurses). I think getting a PharmD is hard enough and we deserve RESPECT when we get out. So I will never put myself in a place in which I will be constantly disrespected, cussed out, and yell at. I just think I deserve better, so I say on here all the time that I want to do mail order or work at home, its b/c I don't think I deserve to be treated like ****. Again I don't hate people, I just hate being treated like ****, especially since I have work so hard for a PharmD.

To answer your questions. I am on very good terms with all of my science college professors. I either did research with them or I had the highest grade in their class, so it was very easy for me to ask for a LOR. They were all very impressed with my grades and research outcomes. As for the pharmacist LOR....I applied for a tech job at Walgreens...I worked with two pharmacists at first that was okay. One of them really hated retail! But then later on a pharmacist came back from maternity leave and everyone was very happy. Everyone tells me she is the NICEST pharmacist ever. And she is...I never met her before but after hearing all those nice things about her I decide why the heck? I will ask for a LOR. I worked with her for 2 days and I decided to tell her my entire story...I told her I can't imagine working as a dentist, do not like close contact with patients, I am good at science, etc. She didn't really know me at the time but I ask her for a LOR and she told me yes and she wrote one for me. I have only known her for 2 days and she still wrote me a good LOR. :D I offer to show her my resume, my college transcript etc. but she didn't even want to see it!

During interviews I didn't have to lie either. I told them that I am very good at science, I am interested in the science of medicine, I told them about my accomplishements in research and academics, etc. I did tell one interviewer that I will most likely not do retail and I still got accepted so yes, I am this real in real life. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
During interviews I didn't have to lie either. I told them that I am very good at science, I am interested in the science of medicine, I told them about my accomplishements in research and academics, etc. I did tell one interviewer that I will most likely not do retail and I still got accepted so yes, I am this real in real life. :)

Did you tell them that you want limited interaction with the public?

Did you tell them that you want limited interaction with the public?

Fortunately no one asked me if I like to deal with the public or not. I was only ask why pharmacy? And I told them I love science and I am good at science which is the truth. I was never asked if I like dealing with people or not. I was lucky in that respect.

Fortunately no one asked me if I like to deal with the public or not. I was only ask why pharmacy? And I told them I love science and I am good at science which is the truth. I was never asked if I like dealing with people or not. I was lucky in that respect.
So... you would have told them the truth had they asked? If your reason was a love of science, why not pursue a PhD? Did they ask you that?

Best part of the job ! :D

I will KILL to have your JOB right now!!!! :laugh: I must admit that sometimes I think about getting my MBA and working in corporate or industry (and hopfully make more $$$)...but everytime I think about HOW WONDERFUL your job is (the freedom and QUIETNESS) I can't help but want your job over any other job! :laugh: Even a CEO have to deal with idiots, but you never have to do any of that! I think I rather be in your shoes!

So... you would have told them the truth had they asked? If your reason was a love of science, why not pursue a PhD? Did they ask you that?

Luckily I was NEVER asked that question...but if I was asked I would most likely say something like," I am not sure what I want to do yet. I want to leave my options opened and I do not mind dealing with people."

The bolded portion would be a lie, so I guess I would lie! :laugh::oops:

However, I do try my very best not to lie. I try to avoid topics that can cause tension as much as possible....and I will never flat out lie for example...I will never say" I will definetly do retail, I love retail and I love all the customers!" That would be too big of a lie and just typing it makes me kinda sick in the stomach! :laugh: But yeah...to answer your question...I always try to avoid any sticky situations like that and give out as little information as possible when I am stuck in one. :eek: LOL...

Now, however I tell people the truth...my friends in pharmacy school know I hate retail and do not want to deal with the public. I don't hide it anymore. LOL...

And yes, I AGREE with you 100% that people BS their way to the top! Just look at Obama, our primary example! LOL...Most people act differently at home than they do in public! I agree with you 100%. However, some people are just worst then others about it.

Apparently there is such a thing. If anyone here has any info about how this works, where to find these jobs, where to find more info, or any details to share about your experience with one of these jobs, that would be awesome.

My aunt does home infusion pharmacy so she goes to peoples houses and works with IV's and such so technically she does work at home.

Luckily I was NEVER asked that question...but if I was asked I would most likely say something like," I am not sure what I want to do yet. I want to leave my options opened and I do not mind dealing with people."

The bolded portion would be a lie, so I guess I would lie! :laugh::oops:

However, I do try my very best not to lie. I try to avoid topics that can cause tension as much as possible....and I will never flat out lie for example...I will never say" I will definetly do retail, I love retail and I love all the customers!" That would be too big of a lie and just typing it makes me kinda sick in the stomach! :laugh: But yeah...to answer your question...I always try to avoid any sticky situations like that and give out as little information as possible when I am stuck in one. :eek: LOL...

Now, however I tell people the truth...my friends in pharmacy school know I hate retail and do not want to deal with the public. I don't hide it anymore. LOL...
Does this mean your professors, advisers, preceptors, etc all know you're in it for the money? Because if they do and they'll still write you a letter of recommendation, that's an awesome situation to be in.
And yes, I AGREE with you 100% that people BS their way to the top! Just look at Obama, our primary example! LOL...Most people act differently at home than they do in public! I agree with you 100%. However, some people are just worst then others about it.

Does this mean your professors, advisers, preceptors, etc all know you're in it for the money? Because if they do and they'll still write you a letter of recommendation, that's an awesome situation to be in.

My professors like me so much it didn't matter what I was in it for they would have written me a LOR regardless. No, I never discussed the reasons why I went into dentistry or pharmacy with my professors. I never went to any advisers in college...I think they are useless...not one of them knew what they were talking about. :rolleyes: Haven't talked with my preceptors about it either (I am only a P1).

I didn't go into pharmacy for the money. I went into pharmacy b/c its a doable job that I can tolerate (unlike dentistry), its offers a variety of opportunities (I GET TO WORK FROM HOME!!!!), its relatively stable, its indoors, its clean, and its something I will be GOOD at. The money is okay, unlike most prepharmers, I am not foolish enough to think that I will be super rich going into pharmacy. I knew from the begining that a pharmacist make around 70K a year after taxes, which puts me at middle class like most Americans. I was very realistic about the money from the begining and I was NOT expecting to get rich becoming a pharmacist...some people will be very diaspointted when they graduate.

My professors like me so much it didn't matter what I was in it for they would have written me a LOR regardless. No, I never discussed the reasons why I went into dentistry or pharmacy with my professors. I never went to any advisers in college...I think they are useless...not one of them knew what they were talking about. :rolleyes: Haven't talked with my preceptors about it either (I am only a P1).

I didn't go into pharmacy for the money. I went into pharmacy b/c its a doable job that I can tolerate (unlike dentistry), its offers a variety of opportunities (I GET TO WORK FROM HOME!!!!), its relatively stable, its indoors, its clean, and its something I will be GOOD at. The money is okay, unlike most prepharmers, I am not foolish enough to think that I will be super rich going into pharmacy. I knew from the begining that a pharmacist make around 70K a year after taxes, which puts me at middle class like most Americans. I was very realistic about the money from the begining and I was NOT expecting to get rich becoming a pharmacist...some people will be very diaspointted when they graduate.

Again. Top 5% of income earners.

But i agree with you entirely. Flexibility is why i chose this career. I saw a nuke job the other day , 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off, and paid housing stipend, in a rural area. 2 Weeks off a month? now THAT's what im talking about!

Members don't see this ad :)
Again. Top 5% of income earners.

But i agree with you entirely. Flexibility is why i chose this career. I saw a nuke job the other day , 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off, and paid housing stipend, in a rural area. 2 Weeks off a month? now THAT's what im talking about!

Fair enough, I mean I didn't go into pharmacy thinking I will be living like a movie star when I get out. :laugh: I know what I am getting myself into. If there was a career that I can have that will give me such a lifestyle I will love to take it...but I have not yet found it...(besides winning the lottery, I can't think of any other way.)

And yes, I went into pharmacy b/c of the flexibility as well. I will LOVE a 2 week vacation in ONE MONTH!!! I really hope this opportunity will still be availabe when we graduate! :D

Oh and to hdtv, if a professor or preceptor or whoever ask me why pharmacy, I will tell them this, " I choose pharmacy b/c I am good at science, I WILL be good at the job and the career stability and outlook isn't bad either." Its also okay to mention the finaincial stability too...Hell, I think people will LOVE the honesty. All the people that said they will work for 30K a year as a pharmacist are all lying and they look like liars when they say that **** during the interviews. LOL...

Fair enough, I mean I didn't go into pharmacy thinking I will be living like a movie star when I get out. :laugh: I know what I am getting myself into. If there was a career that I can have that will give me such a lifestyle I will love to take it...but I have not yet found it...(besides winning the lottery, I can't think of any other way.)

And yes, I went into pharmacy b/c of the flexibility as well. I will LOVE a 2 week vacation in ONE MONTH!!! I really hope this opportunity will still be availabe when we graduate! :D

Oh and to hdtv, if a professor or preceptor or whoever ask me why pharmacy, I will tell them this, " I choose pharmacy b/c I am good at science, I WILL be good at the job and the career stability and outlook isn't bad either." Its also okay to mention the finaincial stability too...Hell, I think people will LOVE the honesty. All the people that said they will work for 30K a year as a pharmacist are all lying and they look like liars when they say that **** during the interviews. LOL...

No they won't. People want to hear what they want to hear. Most people do not want the truth. Bullsh*tting is a prerequisite for success in the professional world. They need you to not be you, but to be your profession. I believe that before they interviewed you for pharmacy, they knew they wanted you. So they made the interview easier so you would pass it. They may even help you out DURING the interview in case you bullsh*tted incorrectly. That was what happened to me during an interview. They clearly were helping me during the interview to guide my answers, but if I acknowledged their lack of subtlety I would be unprofessional. I wouldn't be playing the game. So we all pretended like we weren't bullsh*tting and that they were rigourously grilling me. Even though they were not. They not so subtly told me what they wanted to hear from me, and I not so subtly pretended that they weren't doing that and I told them what they wanted to hear from me, regardless of whether or not it was the honest truth. I wasn't me during my interviews. I was my profession. Honesty will get you so far, but if your honest answer is not what they want to hear you just f*cked yourself.

Wow!! I would love this. All you have to do is be responsible for urself. No more dealing with scheduling, nasty customers, incompetent techs, telephones ringin nonstop.

Anyone know of any of these types of jobs in NY/NJ?

Thanks

Wow!! I would love this. All you have to do is be responsible for urself. No more dealing with scheduling, nasty customers, incompetent techs, telephones ringin nonstop.

Anyone know of any of these types of jobs in NY/NJ?

Thanks

These jobs do rock, but they aren't everywhere. I believe mail order pharmacies are only in FL, AZ, TX, NV, PA. Thoses are the only states I know that have mail order pharmacies. It would be nice to live in NYC and do mail order but I don't think they have it. :(

There is a mail order (Caremark) pharmacy in Mt. Prospect, IL.

Im a work at home pharmacist.

PBM's and Pharma companies hire for these positions.

The gist of it is to have a pharmacists in the region to consult with their respective clients.

I fortunately don't have to be monitored like other companies, but I end up working long hours some times.

Can you give us some more info about the company you work at (name, location, etc.) and the type of work you do? I'm sure everyone would appreciate it.. so far the only company names I could get from this thread were Medco and Humana and maybe Walgreens Power?? I'm really interested in these types of jobs.. thanks! :love:

These jobs do rock, but they aren't everywhere. I believe mail order pharmacies are only in FL, AZ, TX, NV, PA. Thoses are the only states I know that have mail order pharmacies. It would be nice to live in NYC and do mail order but I don't think they have it. :(

Can you name some of these companies please, you seem to know a lot about working from home. Thanks!

Can you name some of these companies please, you seem to know a lot about working from home. Thanks!

LOL...I did some research on these jobs b/c I do not want to deal with the public. But I definetly do not know the names of all the companies. I know medco, humana, express scripts, caremark, walgreens, and thats about all that I know of. You will most likely have to relocate to get one of these jobs though. They are not in most states.

Reactions: 1 user
but only making $80K in a big city? No money for fun.

Are you serious ? Your crying about making $80k , average person in US doesn't even make close to that ( take a look at stats )

Pharmacy is very good paying profession.. Top 10% of US only make $100,000

Are you serious ? Your crying about making $80k , average person in US doesn't even make close to that ( take a look at stats )

Pharmacy is very good paying profession.. Top 10% of US only make $100,000

Actually that represents the top 5%

I would take 80k any day for a job I like :love:

That said... I personally have mixed feelings about working from home, so I can understand why more people aren't lining up for positions. On one hand it sounds great because I would love to be able to have coffee and eat lunch when I want, hang out with my pets, etc, but I really really like getting out of the house and seeing other people besides my boyfriend everyday. Plus I can imagine that it is pretty demanding, and you are expected to meet a rather high quota being that other duties of the job are eliminated when you work at home. I feel more productive when I have someplace to wake up to and drive to every day. That said, working with the public is NOT for everyone... it just depends on the person's personality. I've never worked in retail, I've only volunteered in a busy hospital pharmacy so I can't say for sure, but I know some people who work in smaller towns in less busy stores and they don't mind it. Some of the best jobs I've had were dealing with rude, drunk, challenging people, but it was enjoyable because of the great people I worked with and it was interesting.

Reactions: 1 user
Just curious... how did you find out about this job?

We've got several companies that have work from home jobs for pharmacists around here. Believe it or not, I think they often have trouble finding pharmacists because many people don't want to work at home. I had trouble believing that but someone told me that they liked to be able to leave work at work and not mix it with home.

Any ideas of companies currently hiring pharmacist to work from home?

Anyone know if Medco or any large mail order companies hiring "stay at home pharmacist" ?

I am looking for positions such as:

Regional Formulary Pharmacists
Mail Order Patient Acquistion Pharmacists

I am currently a licensed pharmacist in Texas. I have had 9 years of retail experience and am ready for a change! =) Any help would be much appreciated.

Anyone know if Medco or any large mail order companies hiring "stay at home pharmacist" ?

I am looking for positions such as:
Regional Formulary Pharmacists
Mail Order Patient Acquistion Pharmacists

I am currently a licensed pharmacist in Texas. I have had 9 years of retail experience and am ready for a change! =) Any help would be much appreciated.

I would start by checking medco.com/careers

Im interested in this possibility..

Anybody on here work for ExpressScripts or Medco.... I have emailed them both through the contact addresses they provide without any response?

Great topic! Any more opportunities for work from home???? For Pharmacists? As long as my office is from home, Im happy. My office was from at home and Id be on the road all day making visits to clients in my region. Was the greatest job ever!!!

I recently worked for a company that have pharms and techs that work from home. However, the positions were always posted internally. They never offered these positions externally, only current employees could apply if they met the requirements for the position.

Does anyone know how to get started down the right path to get a job as a pharmacist that works from home. I'm about to be a 4th year pharmacy student and would love to secure a job for after graduation.

How can I contact them. I am desperately looking for a job of this kind.

Work from home at least one time per week. Look into clinical informatics as a career.