Work done by a variable force

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted647690

. nvm, I got it haha. I guess if they give you a graph that shows the force changing over time, you should assume force is variable.
The next question also caught me off guard; I wasn't aware that power at constant speed was found with P=F*v. I guess I missed it because I just memorized the equation for power (Power=work/time), and never really understood what power was measuring....

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• cantilever.PNG
    cantilever.PNG
    31.6 KB · Views: 40
  • work variable.PNG
    work variable.PNG
    20.1 KB · Views: 36
Last edited by a moderator:
. nvm, I got it haha. I guess if they give you a graph that shows the force changing over time, you should assume force is variable.
The next question also caught me off guard; I wasn't aware that power at constant speed was found with P=F*v. I guess I missed it because I just memorized the equation for power (Power=work/time), and never really understood what power was measuring....

It is good to know what things really mean. In this case work/time = (F*d)/t = F*(d/t) = F*v. Or like in Bernoulli's equation pressure = energy over unit volume; P = F/A; F/A * d/d = F*d/V= Work/Volume.

Reactions: 1 user
This is where having a little background in calculus can be useful. The general formula for work is W = integral(F*dx). This means that if you plot F versus x, the integral of that graph, or area under the curve in non-calculus terms, gives you work. So if force is variable and you can express it in terms of x, then you can solve the expression for work for any given displacement.

Reactions: 1 user