Work during year off

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

artaxerxes

Leg Kicker
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Right now I'm not sure if I want to join the current cycle or wait until the next one due to my lack clinical/healthrealted ec experience.

Having graduated in May, I'm seeing what my options for at least 1, maybe 2 years off are.
As of now, I've only had 2 years volunteering at a ED and 2.5 years of molecular biology research experience. No papers yet, but 1 is expected to be finished during this summer. GPA: 3.776, Premed GPA: 3.75, Boston College (ranked 40th overall), MCAT on the 15th, but for the sake of arguement, lets say 35

I wondering what the best course of action would be right now. I'm wondering if Should continue to do research related stuff (in a clinical setting) or find something that is more health related like being a Patient's Care assistant. I've looked into PCA's and the one thing that bothers me is that they do not require a college degree, which makes me wonder if thats going to be looked down upon during application time.

Members don't see this ad.

sounds like you've got good grades and pretty good experience.

I'd continue to volunteer and just find a job that you enjoy doing and get paid well for. If you want to be a PCA, do it. But it doesn't necessarily have to be health related, though it might be a good idea. It's your year or two, don't get stuck doing something you hate just to impress adcomms.

thanks for the reply, which reminded me,
I do need money, and as much as I would like to help people, my financial background requires me to get paid while doing it:) so no going to Africa for me:(

I guess I'm wondering if I should be working more on "people" side of healthcare or the academic/intellectual side....I honestly can would be happy doing both but can't decide.

I don't think, personally, that either will be more impressive to the adcomms. I think the more important thing will be showing them that you're still interested in medicine and staying involved in the community.

Just my opinion, others may feel differently.