Work Environment in CT compared to MA

Discussion in 'Pharmacy' started by newenglandboy, Sep 6, 2017.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. newenglandboy

newenglandboy

Sep 6, 2017
    Hi all,
    I am a new grad living and working in MA at CVS. I was an intern during school and was hired as an Rph after going through grad intern while waiting for boards (my region had average of 3 interns---> new grads per district). I am currently in a district in the greater boston region (suburban area). Our volume is considered pretty high I've heard. Average is 3200~ a week in district, give or take, with the busiest stores doing 4000+ and some mega stores doing absurd amounts. Starting pay is 57 per hour. Base hours is low 30's at current assignment, although shifts are seemly always available to pick up to increase hours.
    I am looking to relocate to CT, but have not yet reached out to any RX supervisors in the area yet. I was wondering if anyone working in CT could share their experience. What's the script volume like? Whats the market like? I've always heard that CT is where a lot of new grads go and where CVS send people who don't pass the NY compounding portion. Not sure if there is any truth to that.
    Any distinctions between regions in CT? I am looking in the New Haven area. Not exclusive to CVS/retail. Looking for any insight from anyone working in the area, or who have in the recent past.

Thanks for any insight. Would be happy to share my experience in MA, both retail and my experience in hospitals from rotations.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. M0df

M0df New Member 10+ Year Member

Mar 31, 2006
    I don't have any insight on CT vs MA comparison but I have hard time believing that an average store in your district does 3200. Are you sure that is accurate? I recall RX supervisor few years back saying that your average CVS does 1800 or so. Districts I worked in, maybe had 1/4th of stores doing over 3000.

Anyway, that is not relevant. I doubt you will find much difference between CT and MA. You will have same region/area people running the show for CVS. I would not bother transferring within CVS so close geographically unless there is a family reason or you know some RX supervisor is someone you want to work for.

4. newenglandboy

newenglandboy

Sep 6, 2017
    Well based on the script count for the district for July, well over half the stores in the district were above 3000 or close to it. Lowest volume store was just about 2000. And yes, I would be moving for family.