work experience and income tax

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smurf528

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been working at my parent's restaurant for about 6 years as a cashier/hostess and a waiter. I don't get paid as a cashier/hostess (I just do it to help out) but I get the tips I receive from waiting tables. Can I put this in the "work experience" area on AADSAS? If I can, do I have to file income tax if I just get paid in tips?

Members don't see this ad.

You can put it under work experience, and no, you're probably not making enough to be taxed then - so don't stress.

you can't just assume that. i'd say he/she must've made the minimum amount required to be taxable, which i believe was ~$500 a year or something. Since taxes weren't taken out of his/her income automatically, he'd/she'd have to file and pay SS tax and medicare and whatnot quarterly. Could his/her failing to pay taxes for 6 years show a lack of character on his/her part, that's for the schools to decide. My advice, leave it out of your application. No paper trail, no problem.

Members don't see this ad :)
you can't just assume that. i'd say he/she must've made the minimum amount required to be taxable, which i believe was ~$500 a year or something. Since taxes weren't taken out of his/her income automatically, he'd/she'd have to file and pay SS tax and medicare and whatnot quarterly. Could his/her failing to pay taxes for 6 years show a lack of character on his/her part, that's for the schools to decide. My advice, leave it out of your application. No paper trail, no problem.

I think we have a tendency to believe that every little thing is scrutinized to the most minute detail by the adcoms. To the OP, I wouldn't worry.

thanks for the three of you that replied. I'm not sure what to do now though since I'm getting answers from both sides. Can anyone else help??

I called AADSAS regarding this matter. They said the working experiences have to come from only paid works.

well I just sent in my app this morning. I asked my parents about it and they said it should be fine. My cousin applied to pharm school and got in and he was also in the same situation I am in.

Is this really going to hinder my chances of getting in?