Work experience question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KnuxNole

Sweets Addict
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to put work experience as part of my ERAS application, but I haven't done one ounce of working during med school. But I did do a good amount in undergrad. Doing searches and talking to previous MS4 give mixed reactions. Waste to put it or do it anyway?

Same with volunteer stuff. The bulk occurred during undergrad. I fear that if I take out all of that, the "experience" section will be very shallow :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

You are welcome to list any relevant work or volunteer experience pre-med school that you would like. Working part time at Joe's Pizza? Probably not important to list. Same with "spent a 1/2 day volunteering at a health fair". If it's significant in some way, then feel free to list it.

I'd rather that there were a few important things for me to look at / focus upon than 7 pages of pointless stuff (plus you risk that I won't even see the important ones in a sea of drivel).

I listed some, but not all, of my work experiences that I had before medical school...
Graduate teaching assistant; taught undergrad stats course--->made it into ERAS, shows I have teaching experience
Head coach of high school gymnastics team--> made it in, shows leadership, willingness of others to put trust in me, raised lots of money, etc
Bartending, driving beverage cart at local golf course, various modeling gigs, 3rd shift janitor at medical facility--> nope, although I considered it just to show that I can handle a large workload and still balance school with all that

What a coincidence I used to sell cigarettes I also put that on my resume. Honestly I'd leave off the fact that you serve alcohol. Its only implicated in every disease.

What a coincidence I used to sell cigarettes I also put that on my resume. Honestly I'd leave off the fact that you serve alcohol. Its only implicated in every disease.

You're kidding right? (about leaving off bartending if it's a significant part of your history)