Work Experience vs Volunteering--Post Bacc Applicant Needs Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

allegro23conbrio

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, new member here. I am a recent grad, 3.75GPA, will be taking the GRE in May, currently teaching music at a public middle school. I've taught publicly for a year, privately for three, so four years of teaching experience in total. I come from a family of doctors and scientists, and although I really enjoy teaching, have decided that I really want to pursue medicine. In order to get experience, I've been volunteering at my local hospital for the past six months, and have sent in my application to volunteer at Hopkins as well for the coming year. I also have a volunteer opportunity with the FIMRC in Peru lined up for this summer.

I am looking to start a post-bacc program next year (summer/fall of 2017). I am looking at Hopkins, University of Michigan, Penn State, Columbia, Goucher, Bryn Mawr, UCLA, and a few others. I know many folks disapprove of post-bacc programs, but knowing myself and my study habits, I'd prefer to just get all my pre-reqs done at once, and am in a financially stable position so that I wouldn't need to take out a loan to pay for my post-bacc year.

I am wondering if I should transition out of teaching over this coming summer and look for a clerical job (receptionist, administrative assistant, etc.) in a healthcare setting in order to get more experience. Will it make that much of a difference having actual work experience as opposed to only volunteer experience? Any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.