work-horse programs??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

badgas

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which programs are considered work-horse programs? Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking for a 40 hr a week gig, but I want a program with a decent didactic set up that doesn't use me as cheap labor. So which programs have the slave labor rep??

Members don't see this ad.

badgas said:
Which programs are considered work-horse programs? Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking for a 40 hr a week gig, but I want a program with a decent didactic set up that doesn't use me as cheap labor. So which programs have the slave labor rep??

The worst one that comes to mind is the southern florida one, I think there is a thread on that one somewhere. Ive heard northwestern is pretty bad but, not sure about that one.

ucsf
rush
loyola

Members don't see this ad :)
NW
CCF
Maryland
UTSW
U. of Florida
UPenn

You will get worked in these programs so you'll be sacrificing free time to read, relax, exercise, hang out, etc. However, you will come out clinically strong.

DrRobert said:
NW
CCF
Maryland
UTSW
U. of Florida
UPenn

You will get worked in these programs so you'll be sacrificing free time to read, relax, exercise, hang out, etc. However, you will come out clinically strong.

Don't know how it is now, but I had time to read, relax, get into the best shape of my life, be chief resident, etc. at UTSW. You definitely work hard, but I wouldn't call it malignant or a sweatshop.

DrRobert said:

I'm not an anesthesiologist so I apologize for my ignorance. On some long cases when the patient is stable, is there time to read (something easy like surgical recall)?

UTSouthwestern said:
Don't know how it is now, but I had time to read, relax, get into the best shape of my life, be chief resident, etc. at UTSW. You definitely work hard, but I wouldn't call it malignant or a sweatshop.

I would never call UTSW malignant or a sweatshop since I only interviewed there and never rotated there.

I did have some classmates that did away rotations there and commented on long work hours, so that is all I feel comfortable saying about the program.

search the forum, keyword workhorse, or just horse, or whatever. whole thread already devoted to this topic. practically the same exact title too. :thumbdown: