Work, More School, or Reapply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cizzzle

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently at a cross-roads and thought I would reach out for some help/opinions.
I was not successful in getting accepted this cycle, was wait-listed to UA-Tucson.

GPA 3.4, MCAT 509 (128, 126, 128, 127)
Experience:
- Medical scribe (ED and Pediatrics) - 1000+ hours
- Microbiology research (thesis/presentation but no publication)
- Volunteer in third-world country (Direct hands-on patient care) - 100 hours
- Volunteer at nursing home - 100 hours
- Chemistry tutor - 3 years
- (Non-HC Experience): Resident Assistant - 1 year

I feel that my GPA is seriously lacking and is what is holding me back.. and my MCAT isn't particularly stellar. Also I kind of missed the mark on getting my applications in early which definitely did not help me. I guess I mainly have two questions:

1) Do I have a shot at MD or DO schools? - only difference from last cycle is my scribe experience (although I have learned a considerable amount during that time)
2) Would it be a good idea to wait for next year? And in that time would working as an EMT or attending a Post-Bacc program be more beneficial to me?

Members don't see this ad.

Your stats and ECs are great for all DO schools. If you did apply DO broadly anytime before November, you should have been fine. Unless you got some red flags of course. If you're a URM, any HBCUs and Mid-tier (or lower) MDs, should have been fine as well given you submitted your primary by August 31st.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Your ECs are generally solid, but you seem to be lacking in the nonclinical service department.

Your MCAT is competitive for all DO and many lower/mid-tier MDs.
Your GPA is competitive for many DO and a few low-tier MDs.

Cast a decent net, but I think you have a solid shot.

To answer your second question: you need more leadership and nonclinical volunteering. If you take a year off, forget EMT and do that instead.

Your ECs are generally solid, but you seem to be lacking in the nonclinical service department.

Your MCAT is competitive for all DO and many lower/mid-tier MDs.
Your GPA is competitive for many DO and a few low-tier MDs.

Cast a decent net, but I think you have a solid shot.

To answer your second question: you need more leadership and nonclinical volunteering. If you take a year off, forget EMT and do that instead.

Thanks for the advice! It's difficult for me to acknowledge that non-clinical volunteering would be seen as more valuable than an EMT position, but is it because I already have experience in Health Care?

Thanks for the advice! It's difficult for me to acknowledge that non-clinical volunteering would be seen as more valuable than an EMT position, but is it because I already have experience in Health Care?
It is viewed as helping your community and the least fortunate. If you're going to be a doctor, It is important to have at least some kind of non-clinical volunteering especially for DO, though I've had an interviewer at an MD school asking me why have I not done more to help my community (only 50 hrs of non-clinical).

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user