Work opportunites for clinical psychologist abroad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shiva1008

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the opportunities like for clinical psychologists to practice in other countries? Let's say you got your PhD in America and then you want to work in some other countries like Italy, Spain, France, Mexico, India or South America. Is it possible to find situations like that? Does anyone have any experience working abroad as a clinical psychologist?

Members don't see this ad.

Would like to hear thoughts about this as well. I considered getting my PhD abroad, but this being a clinical degree, I wanted my base to be the States and didn't want to risk training equivalency issues come licensing time.

Would like to hear thoughts about this as well. I considered getting my PhD abroad, but this being a clinical degree, I wanted my base to be the States and didn't want to risk training equivalency issues come licensing time.

This is definitely a consideration. Going USA-->Abroad appears to be easier than the other way around.

Members don't see this ad :)
Similarly, are there any opportunities for psychologists in training to "study abroad"? I wish I had gotten to do this in undergrad, and think it would be great to get to do it in my Ph.D. program. I figured it would be more likely towards the end of the program when I'm mostly receiving clinical training and/or doing my dissertation. I have considered going for a semester or year after my internship, but wouldn't want to turn down a potential job offer. Does anyone have any experience regarding a situation like this?

Similarly, are there any opportunities for psychologists in training to "study abroad"? I wish I had gotten to do this in undergrad, and think it would be great to get to do it in my Ph.D. program. I figured it would be more likely towards the end of the program when I'm mostly receiving clinical training and/or doing my dissertation. I have considered going for a semester or year after my internship, but wouldn't want to turn down a potential job offer. Does anyone have any experience regarding a situation like this?
One of the people in the program I'm going into received research grant funding that allowed her to do two years of research, one in Asia and one in South America. It didn't count as a part of the program, but the grants were extremely prestigious (IMHO) and she could use the data for her dissertation or other pubs. I'm sure that having a supportive program/faculty mentor is important to being able to going after this kind of thing though- it was two years she basically "took off".

Yeshiva's Clinical Health program has an abroad experience in India where students can collect dissertation data (I think only students in one of the labs have gone but it's open to anyone in the program). I was told they're also starting up something in Israel.

I'm sure that having a supportive program/faculty mentor is important to being able to going after this kind of thing though- it was two years she basically "took off".

That's awesome, but... 2 yrs. off from a 6+ yr. PhD? Ahhh.

That's awesome, but... 2 yrs. off from a 6+ yr. PhD? Ahhh.
If the person is going to stick to the research side of things, the time really isn't as relevant, since delaying licensure is a non-issue. Being able to secure funding through a competitive grant is as important as the research it supports to someone seeking a tenure track position.

If the person is going to stick to the research side of things, the time really isn't as relevant, since delaying licensure is a non-issue. Being able to secure funding through a competitive grant is as important as the research it supports to someone seeking a tenure track position.

I completely agree. For an academic route, having these kind of grants is going to look incredible to postdoc sites at universities- especially securing them predoc and collecting data abroad. It's also a great opportunity to network with big names at universities across the world (particularly if you're bilingual).

I just want to go to a Spanish-speaking country to become fluent in Spanish; I am currently proficient. If I could do some psych there that'd be awesome. I figured I could work in a prison or psych hospital, or possible work on research there. Idk...I'm sure none of this will come to fruition. :cool:

I agree with that 100%. But Psychology is my field and I am talking based on MY OWN life experience. I have seen many research studies written by American Ph.D. students about issues in other cultures that was totally BS.
If your goal is to get the degree and please certain people, then go right ahead, but hopefully you will understand that you are doing a disservice to other people.
Therefore, if you truly want to do the right thesis, time should never be a factor. You need to know people of other cultures and interpret them correctly before you start putting them in categories and labels.
I do not want to sound discouraging to you, but it really hurts that you read what others wrote about several cultures and it is totally "stupid" they sound like they are "Clueless in Seattle" Oh sorry that is "Sleepless in Seattle".
Some of the "****" (that is the only value I saw to it) that I read before was used to serve some people's political agenda's. I believe that our pens can be sharper and more dangerous than the swords, so lets use them right.

I'm not really sure how to respond to that, but I stand by my comments about people having different priorities as it relates to taking additional time to research.

Members don't see this ad :)
To answer the OP's question...

I am not the best person to ask in terms of opportunities for research/teaching/private practice abroad, but I do know other countries (mostly ones that speak English as a first/second official language) that are open to hiring clin psychologists from the US. Also, lots of opportunities exist for psychologists who is passionate about social justice - if you are willing to work with nonprofits, then there are some who look for psychologists who can commit to at least 1-2 years at countries in Africa and Asia to work with survivors of trauma.

I just want to go to a Spanish-speaking country to become fluent in Spanish; I am currently proficient. If I could do some psych there that'd be awesome. I figured I could work in a prison or psych hospital, or possible work on research there. Idk...I'm sure none of this will come to fruition. :cool:

I have similar interests in wanting to just gain better Spanish skills and perhaps apply them to working with Spanish speaking individuals! A year or two ago a memo came through our department about a program in Costa Rica that is for Psychology students and professionals where you can gain language skills while working with clinical populations. It's called the Costarican Professional Preparation Program (www.crpreparationprogram.com). Last I checked though the website wasn't working so you might need to do some digging.

I also found this program in my search: http://www.unibe.ac.cr/ccip/four_week.php

If you just want the language skills, there are plenty of programs that you can attend for as short or long as you'd like. I did one in Spain before I started grad school. I only spent 2 months there but was near fluent by the time I got home (after 10 years of Spanish ed too!). Perhaps a trip over the summer that wouldn't interefere too much with school work?

From a clinical only standpoint, do you think there would be any difference in trying to practice overseas with a PsyD as opposed to a PhD?

Maybe someone mentioned this, but you can use your Clinical Psych PhD to work in American military bases in other countries. Check out usajobs.gov, from what I remember there are usually a fair amount of clinical psychologist openings in different countries.

From a clinical only standpoint, do you think there would be any difference in trying to practice overseas with a PsyD as opposed to a PhD?

I'd recommend working with a company/organization state-side that can handle the credentialing aspect of things. The training overseas is quite different, and often the "doctorate" portion is purely research, so I don't believe there is a problem outside of the lack of familiarity of the Psy.D. in some places.

Maybe someone mentioned this, but you can use your Clinical Psych PhD to work in American military bases in other countries. Check out usajobs.gov, from what I remember there are usually a fair amount of clinical psychologist openings in different countries.

Make sure to check which requires a service contract v. civilian employment. I have a number of friends in different branches, and I have heard excellent things about working in the military, both enlisted and civilian employment. The work can be challenging, but overall they are a great population, particularly if you want to work with acute cases.

I have similar interests in wanting to just gain better Spanish skills and perhaps apply them to working with Spanish speaking individuals! A year or two ago a memo came through our department about a program in Costa Rica that is for Psychology students and professionals where you can gain language skills while working with clinical populations. It's called the Costarican Professional Preparation Program (www.crpreparationprogram.com). Last I checked though the website wasn't working so you might need to do some digging.

The Costa Rica Program is no longer operating. There is a program that goes to Ecuador and I have heard positive reviews.

ecuadorppp.com

I also found this program in my search: http://www.unibe.ac.cr/ccip/four_week.php

If you just want the language skills, there are plenty of programs that you can attend for as short or long as you'd like. I did one in Spain before I started grad school. I only spent 2 months there but was near fluent by the time I got home (after 10 years of Spanish ed too!). Perhaps a trip over the summer that wouldn't interefere too much with school work?

I was thinking I could go for a summer. I will look into those programs. Thanks for the info!

I know here (Australia) you can work as a Clin Psych as long as you 1. have the right to work here (a working visa) and 2. if your training is recognised as equivalent by the Psych Board of the state you plan to work in (which requires you sumbit your degree and accreditation details, I believe). AFAIK clin psychs from US and UK wouldn't have much trouble working here. And I know for sure research work would also be ok - I used to work with a Canadian RO.

Generally, if you did it on your own and not through a program, I imagine you'd need to find out what proof of equivalency the registration body requires in the country you wanted to work and how you could get a work visa.

I am not the best person to ask in terms of opportunities for research/teaching/private practice abroad, but I do know other countries (mostly ones that speak English as a first/second official language) that are open to hiring clin psychologists from the US. Also, lots of opportunities exist for psychologists who is passionate about social justice - if you are willing to work with nonprofits, then there are some who look for psychologists who can commit to at least 1-2 years at countries in Africa and Asia to work with survivors of trauma.

Thanks.

They all sound like good options, especially the Ecuador program. Two of my biggest long-term goals are to do a clin psych PhD and to live in other cultures. It's nice to know that I wouldn't have to sacrifice one for the other. I already spent some time in India, and from that perspective, the prestige of having the American degree would be a very useful thing.

Thanks.

They all sound like good options, especially the Ecuador program. Two of my biggest long-term goals are to do a clin psych PhD and to live in other cultures. It's nice to know that I wouldn't have to sacrifice one for the other. I already spent some time in India, and from that perspective, the prestige of having the American degree would be a very useful thing.

Join the Navy, see the world... :) That's my plan to practice around the world.

Mark

New Zealand's government is recruiting American clinical psychologists to go work there. If I recall correctly, the contracts are 1-2 years, with opportunities to renew. They will only hire people from APA-approved programs (internships?).

The recruiter told me that it's mostly empirically-supported/CBT therapy done in government-run community mental health centers, working 9-5ish hours. I recall the pay was about $70-75K/year + benefits and relocation.

The pay isn't great, but its certainly on par with American salaries, and New Zealand is beautiful is you like the great outdoors or are a thrill-seeker.

Anyone know is there's a website somewhere that is dedicated to professionals who want to practice abroad? Or do we just have to search for specific programs/sites (like the Costarican Prof Program)?

Would you please tell me where I can find these programs you mentioned. I definitely want to work in Africa as a Clin psych, but I have not been successful in finding any opportunities.

I would also like to go to Italy for a year and work as a clinical psychologist (with children) any tips as to how I can do that?

Ways you can work abroad:

1) Medcine sin frontera
2) Army contracting
3) become licensed in a foreign country, develop fluency in the language, make 800 phone calls until you get someone to offer you a job that qualifies you for a visa, and take a substantial pay cut ( limited chance this will happen)
4) Apply for one of the many New Zealand jobs
5) Take one of the frequently offered Asian/Middle East jobs
6) Marry a foreigner.
7) Become incredibly involved in research with a Co-I in a foreign country.
8) Move to a country with no psychology licensing and hang out a shingle.

I would also like to go to Italy for a year and work as a clinical psychologist (with children) any tips as to how I can do that?

From what I've heard (from an Italian colleague), the process is a nightmare. Just out of curiosity, are you already fluent in Italian?