Work or no work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JoPharmD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody! I'm pretty new at this whole sdn thing. I've read many postings on this site but never actually started one. My question might of been answered somewhere else but I didnt know where to look. I'm going to usc this fall...yay!! (Hello fellow Trojans!) I just wanna know if it's possible to work during the first semester. I currently work at rite aid as a pharm clerk and would like to stay with RA or maybe work somewhere else. But am I crazy to think I'm gonna have time to work, even if it's just for several hours a week? I appreciate any inputs! :)

Members don't see this ad.

This question is very difficult to answer since everyone handles stress differently and everyone is on a slightly different schedule at USC. If you had a strong background in anatomy and physiology, then first year would not be that difficult.
I think first semister can be overwhelming and in general, most students don't work. But I did just simply because I had an easier schedule than some other students. They schedule my externship when there were no midterms. If you have an externship when there are tons of midterms, then basically, you have less time to study. Not every student at USC has the same schedule. The same goes for second year when you will have IV rotations.
Some of my friends tend to do better when they are more stress out and under pressure. They told me, hey, if you work, you have less time to goof off and mess around, you tend to hit the books more, consequently better grades. My best advice to you, schedule a few hours of work a week, and then check out your externship schedule and see how you handle the course load. If you can handle it, ask for more hours, if not, try to cut back.

Oh by the way, if you don't work first year, then second year is even worse. Although first year there is a descent amount of work, second year at USC is hell!!! Most likely you wouldn't work second year unless you are lucky and get an IV rotation in the summer or winter break. Just make sure your gpa stays above 3.00 to graduate.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, I am now an official 2nd level pharmacy student at USC (which means an extra dollar per hour!). It is definately possible to work and do well in school. The curriculum is time consuming and demanding but it is also design for students that want to work. Except during clerkship (1 month each semester) and compounding series (once a wk for 1 month), your classes will end before noon. In addition, you will receive your intern pharmacist license in September. I think working will really reinforce what you will be learning and it will definately help u in your first level classes such as OTC and the top 200 drugs quiz. But do keep in mind, there are students that struggle. USC now requires its first level students to maintain a gpa of 2.5 or higher after their first year in order to advance to level 2. If you are in doubt, I would suggest that you do not work until your 2nd semester. By then, you should have a bettter idea as to the difficulty of the curriculum and whether you should work or not.

I'm not a pharmacy student right now or anything but I have to agree with what they have said. Work experience can be beneficial but doing well to keep in school should be top priority since getting good enough grades to keep going in the program will keep you at the school so you can reach ur future goal of becoming a pharmacist. :) So is it all matter of luck as far as scheduling goes at usc and how is that infamous top 200 drug test? By the way just a thought for you JoPharmD...maybe you could let your work know about your situation and they could work something out for you so u can do an internship or something in the summer?

This is the schedule: each semester, there are 3 one month clerkship sessions. Each student is assigned to one of the three sessions. During your clerkship, every monday is leadership training (3 hours) and wednesday and thursday is when you go to your externship site (5 hours each). It is difficult to work 15 hours a week during your clerkship but you can always work less during that period.

Personal preference...Some people need that extra-study time to earn higher grades, some might want that extra spending money. It's all up to you.