Work with the big-Name or young and up-and-coming ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lux Aeterna

the eternal light
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just how important is name value in Opthalmology. I would like to do some research and I cannot decide if I should work with in the lab of a big name ophtho (pros- big name, they are a nice person; cons- one-on-one time is limited, the project is kind of undefined at this point and I would have to work with alot of staff members). Or the young and upcoming, although definitely not as big name academic ophthlamologist (pros- lots of 1:1 time, very helpful and enthusiastic, would really get to know me well and probably write me a great letter given that he would know me well; cons- name not as big).

Does having that LOR from the big name opthalmologist really make a HUGE difference in terms of landing interviews? it seems as everyone on this forum is all about the big names ophtho letters, but i would venture that they all probably aren't very personalized.... wouldn't a personalized letter from an academic ophthalmologist, albeit definitely not a big name, be better?

i just feel like i keep getting told the big name will open up HUGE doors for me.

just background info on me:
step 1 231
at a highly-ranked medical school with a top ophtho department
no red flags, 3rd year grades... H in IM, psych, family medicine, HP everything else
nice person ;)
definitely won't be AOA

Members don't see this ad.

You're better off with the new professor in terms of getting first authorships, which are the most valuable currency of ophtho research. I started research at a new start up ophtho lab last summer and had a IOVS first author within 5 months. However, if you anticipate not necessarily putting in enough time for full papers (since you seem to be an MS4), you're better off with the big name.

im actually taking a year off because of an illness in the family, and i want to be arround to support etc, so the lab research will be for a full year... so you think i should go with the younger person?

Members don't see this ad :)
im actually taking a year off because of an illness in the family, and i want to be arround to support etc, so the lab research will be for a full year... so you think i should go with the younger person?

Yes I believe so. At the bigger lab, you'll have to work with the staff that's already dug in who may be clambering for first authorships. Without them, its just you and the professor, first and last author.

I'm a MS4, so take it with a grain of salt.

1st author pub in ophtho will definitely help.

however, if the big-wig is well-connected/involved with the residency selection process at your institution, that may go further in terms of getting you a residency.

Since it sounds like you're going to have a stressful year b/c of family reasons, having a place where you enjoy working (b/c you like your PI, you get help when you need it, the project is interesting) will also be something to consider.

You're better off with the new professor in terms of getting first authorships, which are the most valuable currency of ophtho research. I started research at a new start up ophtho lab last summer and had a IOVS first author within 5 months. However, if you anticipate not necessarily putting in enough time for full papers (since you seem to be an MS4), you're better off with the big name.

You've mentioned a paper for 1st author within 5 mths, what kind of a paper is it? Is it convenient to list the search? I'm starting out new, wanted to get some tips.:D

you should lean towards the one who will teach you the most.
also, 1st authorship is great, and not to be overlooked.

some places will ask you specifics about your research, and i would think that you're more likely to have a better understanding of what the research entailed, what your role was, etc. if you have a better opportunity to be hands on.