Worked as a cocktail waitress in strip club will this hurt me on my application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pammie220

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
i have heard that the medical profession in general is a conservative one, and so i would imagine that it would not affect your application in some cases, and it would hurt your application in others. so, i would NOT be specific and just put waitress down. if someone asks, talk to them about how waitressing helped you improve your poise and hone your social skills. direct their attention towards your other jobs. this may help them to overlook it and not ask too many questions, and it may keep them from realizing that the reason that "the french quarter" sounds familiar is because they used to frequent it 20 years earlier.

Why not just "Waitress, New Orleans Nightclub." I see no reason to mention specifics regarding exactly where.

Hey, everybody has to pay bills / work.

Members don't see this ad :)
i agree with the above posters-- there's no need to include the detail about the strip club. after all, all you were doing was serving drinks-- it was the people around you who were stripping, so what's the point of potentially tainting your app with info that is irrelevant to you?

My premed advisor told me a story about a strong female applicant who was rejected from my state school. She worked as a bartender or maybe a waitress in a bar and during her interview they were really negative about it. I believe it was something along the lines of, if you worked in a bar you must smoke and how could you be a doctor and advise your patients not to smoke if you yourself do it.

So I would err on the side of caution and list the job as a waitress, they don't need to know that it was in a stripclub. I doubt that anyone will really question you about it.

So you're saying you have big boobs? j/k....sorta

Whoa, where exactly do they have a service by which chicken wings are delivered?

indo said:
Whoa, where exactly do they have a service by which chicken wings are delivered?

LOL..apparently at a strip club that's making a very good profit... "Honey call Playmates and get some wings" Hmmm...sounds weird. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

personally, i think you're nuts if you say anything other than "waitress". why even specify where it was that you waitressed? the adcoms will probably be more judgemental than you think, and it's not worth the risk (especially if a woman is reading your file). the last thing adcoms want to think about is one of their future physicians serving alcohol in a smokefilled environment.

personally i love strip clubs and i think your job is awesome and please be my friend. haha jk.

Pammie220 said:
thanks everyone for the advice, i guess they are more conservative then i thought so i'll have to be very careful and "creative" with how i list it. i guess i won't be putting in contact information. especially with the name of the club being temptations it doesn't really get more obvious then that.

indo sorry to dissappoint you but i actually don't have big boobs, that wasn't exactly a requirement for working there. the place i delivered wings for before working at the strip club was called wingzone, it's a chain that is i think mostly in the south, really good wings if you ever get a chance to try them :thumbup:

i never thought about this affecting my med school applications when i worked there which my have not been the smartest thing but thinking back to walking out some nights with $500 in tips i don't exactly regret it :)

You worked in a strip club and said you made $500 a night, while some premeds work for minimum wage. Of course it is going to look bad on your application. They are naturally going to ask you what you did/what you learned. Why ask a question you already know the answer to?

Does the application ask you how much you made? You don't even have to be creative. Would any adcom really ask you outright whether there was stripping in the nightclub you worked at? I think you can just avoid saying it, even if they ask you what you learned, etc. Just don't say you learned how to strip =).

Hey, everyone needs money. Is it really 'smarter' to work for minimum wage when you could be making more? Especially if it gave you more time to study, etc.

I don't know if it will, but I hope it doesn't affect your application, because I really don't think it should (not that that really matters to you, but anyway...). You did what you had to do, who are they to judge. It doesn't make you more or less likely to be a good doctor. Geez...

Masamune4567 said:
You worked in a strip club and said you made $500 a night, while some premeds work for minimum wage. Of course it is going to look bad on your application. They are naturally going to ask you what you did/what you learned. Why ask a question you already know the answer to?
What are you talking about? While I do think that it's unfair that she makes $500 in a night where I have to work 80+ hours in a week to make $1000, I sure don't blame her for taking the opportunity to make that kind of cheddar. She can tell them she was a waitress at a New Orleans restaurant/grill. End of story. If the rest of the story isn't even relevant, why mention it? They're not going to ask her "what she learned" by working as a waitress.

TheProwler said:
What are you talking about? While I do think that it's unfair that she makes $500 in a night where I have to work 80+ hours in a week to make $1000, I sure don't blame her for taking the opportunity to make that kind of cheddar. She can tell them she was a waitress at a New Orleans restaurant/grill. End of story. If the rest of the story isn't even relevant, why mention it? They're not going to ask her "what she learned" by working as a waitress.

If you put down something under work experience, they are naturally going to ask what your responsibilities were and what you learned from it.

So you propose lying at the interview huh? Oh well, it's no different from what I plan to do. Apparently, I've volunteered at an old folks home for 5 years now lol. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Masamune4567 said:
If you put down something under work experience, they are naturally going to ask what your responsibilities were and what you learned from it.

So you propose lying at the interview huh? Oh well, it's no different from what I plan to do. Apparently, I've volunteered at an old folks home for 5 years now lol. :thumbup:
You'll tell them that you served drinks at a restaurant/pub/grill/eatery/whathaveyou, and that the job shows your work ethic because you had to work in order to stay in school.

You're reading into this way too much. Ever heard of "need to know"?

:thumbdown:
TheProwler said:
You'll tell them that you served drinks at a restaurant/pub/grill/eatery/whathaveyou, and that the job shows your work ethic because you had to work in order to stay in school.

You're reading into this way too much. Ever heard of "need to know"?

Ah yes. The old 'bend the truth' and make what I did sound important.
Kind of like what every other premed who does research tries to do. Most premeds just wash test tubes and/or grunt work and they try to act like they did something special lol.

That answer would make any interviewer roll his eyes. You served drinks and it shows work ethic? :thumbdown: (Wheres the I'm with stupid sign when you need it?)

Masamune4567 said:

Kind of like what every other premed who does research tries to do. Most premeds just wash test tubes and/or grunt work and they try to act like they did something special lol.

That answer would make any interviewer roll his eyes. You served drinks and it shows work ethic? :thumbdown: (Wheres the I'm with stupid sign when you need it?)
having a time-intensive job during school doesn't demonstrate work ethic? you're just trolling now. If she doesn't put down that she had a job, they're going to wonder what she did with all of her free time.

TheProwler said:
having a time-intensive job during school doesn't demonstrate work ethic? you're just trolling now. If she doesn't put down that she had a job, they're going to wonder what she did with all of her free time.

I applaude your effort, but don't fight with crazy people---you just can't win! :laugh:

I don't think you should mention "strip club" on your application. But I want to thank you mentioning it here.

I hear Loma Linda stopped taking their interview classes out to strip clubs for "no stress interviews" back in the 2001 cycle, so yes, I think these days many schools frown on exotic dancing. :(

Masamune4567 said:

Most interviewers and admissions committees dont have time to dwell on every word of an application and spend hours speculating on where the applicant was really waitressing at. It was a job that the OP did senior year, so it may come up, but she should be able to divert attention away from it with some skill.

And dont get ethical with us. Its common sense to paint your past experiences in a positive light during interviews. In some of my shadowing experiences I just sat in a corner because the doctor was too busy, but I'm not going to say that in my interviews. I still find a way to sleep at night.

Masamune4567 said:

The serving drinks isn't the difficult part, the fact that she held down a job and maintained the focus in her education shows dedication. She's not trying to act like serving drinks is on the lines of curing cancer but it does show character and drive.
Fat beefballs getting on soapbox-this is an illustration of why the med school process is skewered to the wealthy (read those that do not have to work in school) ask most of those working applicants if they would rather volunteer on a research team or in some other capacity that adcoms would like instead of shlepping drinks, or parking cars, or some other menial task and they would probably pick the former. Even the MCAT is skewered, that $1500 to Kaplan or TPR can be extremely beneficial, yes you can do it w/o but it DOES help. Fat Beefballs getting down from soapbox

To the OP You have nothing to apologize for, nor is it being dishonest to claim you were a waitress and leave out where, as others have said. BEST of LUCK-Beefballs

this thread is ******ed. OP, please stop worrying about this. LOTS of people worked their way through undergrad "serving drinks in a smoky bar". i mean, are you people kidding me?

sheesh. :rolleyes:

Masamune4567 said:

Wow....you obviously have never been a server...probably one of those people who come in and say "thanks you were the best waitress ever" and then generously drop a fat 2 dollars on a 40 dollar bill and expect me to be grateful I'm getting that much.

Waitressing builds character for sure...it's a hard job..you learn how to deal with people, how to multitask, time management...and how to carry a ton of scorching hot plates to ungrateful people like yourself who spout off about things you obviously know nothing about.

I've been waiting tables for the past 3 years full-time while going to school and getting my masters and let me tell you it is HARD WORK. You try going to class and doing research (yes, actual research as in paper being published and cutting edge work in leukemia) from 8-5 and then going straight to work as a server from 6-12am and then coming home to study and write papers and then try telling me how serving doesn't show work ethic.

sweetrts said:
Wow....you obviously have never been a server...probably one of those people who come in and say "thanks you were the best waitress ever" and then generously drop a fat 2 dollars on a 40 dollar bill and expect me to be grateful I'm getting that much.

Waitressing builds character for sure...it's a hard job..you learn how to deal with people, how to multitask, time management...and how to carry a ton of scorching hot plates to ungrateful people like yourself who spout off about things you obviously know nothing about.

I've been waiting tables for the past 3 years full-time while going to school and getting my masters and let me tell you it is HARD WORK. You try going to class and doing research (yes, actual research as in paper being published and cutting edge work in leukemia) from 8-5 and then going straight to work as a server from 6-12am and then coming home to study and write papers and then try telling me how serving doesn't show work ethic.

You said it!

Not only is it hard work but it teaches you to deal with every single type of person you can think of....the wealthy family who can drop 400 dollars on a meal, the little old lady who's trying to keep the bill under 8 bucks, the bum who walked in to use the restroom and then yells and screams in the middle of the dining room probably due to some illness, the people who have seizures at their table, diabetics who go into shock, the list goes on and on. It's fantastic experience and puts you ahead of your classmates when it comes to patient contact, since you'll already have people skills.

Being able to make $500/day is a lot different from reliably making $500/day, 6 days a week. I hear this all the time. Strippers can make as much as doctors, but only the best strippers (and we're talking about very bad off doctors). By the way, doctors can make as much as basketball players, that doesn't mean you will.

hoberto said:
You said it!

Not only is it hard work but it teaches you to deal with every single type of person you can think of....the wealthy family who can drop 400 dollars on a meal, the little old lady who's trying to keep the bill under 8 bucks, the bum who walked in to use the restroom and then yells and screams in the middle of the dining room probably due to some illness, the people who have seizures at their table, diabetics who go into shock, the list goes on and on. It's fantastic experience and puts you ahead of your classmates when it comes to patient contact, since you'll already have people skills.

Right on! Plus the slob that's hitting on you. :p