Working as a dental assistant without a license

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swindoll

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience with this? I have at least 6 months until ds starts, and getting a job in a dental office would be ideal. Do you guys have any suggestions? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Every state is different. I worked as one in NY without any certification.

Reactions: 1 user
Yep!
I work as one and don't have a certificate. When I was shadowing, I had the assistants teAch me everything and when I finished my 100 hours I started working full time at another office. I take X-rays, prophy and sealants. Just find someone willing to hire you. My pay is low though so I think that's why the dentist doesn't mind!

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been working as an assistant without a certificate for three years. It depends on the state. The pay will be lower but since you have only 6 months left, it's not worth it to spend money and study for one. Most offices like to hire and train pre-dents cause they pay us less for same labor.

I've also been working as an assistant without certification. I was luckily offered the job after shadowing a dentist for a few weeks. The other dental assistants have been happy enough to train me on certain things. I'm also not paid much though, but then again, I don't do as much as the other DA's since I'm still a beginner. If you really want to work in the dental office, perhaps you could see if the dentists you've shadowed are hiring. If not, Craigslist is great to sift through.

In my state of Washington you need to register with the department of health prior to practicing.