Working as a part-time veterinarian during PhD studies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zilla72

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a recent vet school grad entering a PhD program this fall. Does anyone have experience working part-time as a vet during their PhD years? I have already accepted a job working about 6 days a month, weekends only, as an associate vet. I approached my PhD adviser before I accepted the job and his response was, "If you do work, I don't want to know about it." I checked with my program and it does not have any restrictions on part-time work. My PhD is about 95% lab bench work in nature and I still want to develop myself as a clinician. I'm looking for advice on if this is feasible. Any insight from other DVM/PhDs would be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't. Your mental health and research will suffer for it. It's not really practical - you're going to have experiments that run into and through weekends all the time. Let alone needing time to read and stay current with literature, time to write papers, and hell - time to relax.

Six days a month is not enough to truly develop you as a clinician anyways. It would keep you at baseline at best.

I do approx one weekend a month on call for the hospital and I don't think I could handle much more than that given my program and the intensity of my projects. Yeah, it sucks having to put your vet stuff "on hold" but that's what a PhD requires. Keep up with the literature, attend CE, maybe occasionally help out with spay/neuter clinics every now and then....much more feasible.

Last edited:
Don't. Your mental health and research will suffer for it. It's not really practical - you're going to have experiments that run into and through weekends all the time. Let alone needing time to read and stay current with literature, time to write papers, and hell - time to relax.

Six days a month is not enough to truly develop you as a clinician anyways. It would keep you at baseline at best.

I do approx one weekend a month on call for the hospital and I don't think I could handle much more than that given my program and the intensity of my projects. Yeah, it sucks having to put your vet stuff "on hold" but that's what a PhD requires. Keep up with the literature, attend CE, maybe occasionally help out with spay/neuter clinics every now and then....much more feasible.

Thanks for your insight. The things you mentioned are what worried me the most. Most of my first year will be mostly class work so I may give part time work a try for at least this year. If it begins to be too time consuming I can always quit or cut back. I can see part-time work being most problematic my third year post prelims, when I'll be diving into my thesis work. Thanks again.