Working at CVS and an independent?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hajenkin

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have worked at CVS in the past, however I now work at a local independent pharmacy as an intern. Since the independent is so small, I'm having trouble getting hours and would like to work at CVS as well. I am also hoping to go home over the summer and would like to still be able to work and make money, so working at a chain like CVS would make that process easier. Is this possible or considered a conflict of interest?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
CVS has a non compete clause so you can't work at at CVS and another non-hospital pharmacy. It becomes a bit more lenient for pharmacist tho as long as you can get approval from the DM as I've seen a few pharmacist that worked at both CVS/Walgreens and owned/worked at an independent at the same time.

CVS has a non compete clause so you can't work at at CVS and another non-hospital pharmacy. It becomes a bit more lenient for pharmacist tho as long as you can get approval from the DM as I've seen a few pharmacist that worked at both CVS/Walgreens and owned/worked at an independent at the same time.
what about a pharmacy in a non profit clinic that does not compete with cvs? i had an interview there for a part time job there and there is a good chance i will get it. it is a 340 b federally funded pharmacy ,inside a big clinic. Patients have to see their Providers

Last edited:
what about a pharmacy in a non profit clinic that does not compete with cvs? i had an interview there for a part time job there and there is a good chance i will get it. it is a 340 b federally funded pharmacy ,inside a big clinic. Patients have to see their Providers
You would ultimately have the check with CVS. The CVS store manager would then have to get approval or an answer from the DM cause they have like no power. If the store is in need for an intern enough, than you might be able to get in.

You would ultimately have the check with CVS. The CVS store manager would then have to get approval or an answer from the DM cause they have like no power. If the store is in need for an intern enough, than you might be able to get in.
store manager? i am a pharmacist

store manager? i am a pharmacist
Depends on store. Some stores had all hiring be reviewed by front store manager first, then pharmacist manager, then by the DM. Some don't bring the DM into the equation. Pharmacist manager don't seem to have too much power hiring even tho they are hiring for pharmacy and not front store. Even the 3 interviews I did at Cvs, I'vr mever spoken to a pharmacist manager, just the front store manager and DM.

Does the non-compete clause still apply if they’re in two completely different states? I live in the south for school, but I’d like to work for CVS in the northeast when I’m home for the summer.

Does the non-compete clause still apply if they’re in two completely different states? I live in the south for school, but I’d like to work for CVS in the northeast when I’m home for the summer.

It's going to depend how far away the independent pharmacy is from the nearest CVS (not the CVS you would be working at.) Generally, around 50 miles.

At cvs staff rph< Pic< district leader<Region director

Store manager is still above pharmacist. If you stay at a hotel, who do you go to for reimbursement? If the store is not open when you get there, who do you call?

Store manager is still above pharmacist. If you stay at a hotel, who do you go to for reimbursement? If the store is not open when you get there, who do you call?
ok

Reactions: 1 user

Lol if you need to buy a soda you go to a cashier but the cashier is not your boss.

The store manager is basically the secretary who goes and gets you your cash. They do not have the authority to approve or deny your reimbursement. And why would you call a manager to open a store, I had my own keys and codes to do it. Maybe it depends on your market or the policy changed?