Working at CVS is complete HELL

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

H8_CVS

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
At what point do we just say f-ck this crap and quit?

They keep cutting tech hours, high turnover rate with techs, DMs that don't give a crap, and a lazy ass manager to top it off. The foot traffic, drive-thru, phone calls, and constantly dealing with bitchy, high-maintenance customers will drive any sane person crazy. To top it off, it doesn't help that there's an urgent care and ER a block away. We are constantly 25+ pages (400+ Rxs) behind and there's no away we can prioritize anything since almost everything is past due. Which leads to us apologizing to everyone as to why nothing is ready when promised! There will be points where we'll have an entire page of expedited waiters.

It's plain and simple that CVS "Health" is trying to promote us to work off the clock to get crap done or deal with bitchy customers. Clearly, they don't give you the manpower to get everything done.

If a person quits this horrible company, will future employers understand or will they see you as a person that can't deal with stress and as a quitter? Are most employers aware of how awful this company is to their employees?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
If they come and read this forum at all, I'm sure they will know how sh!++y CVS is.

this thread makes me wanna call the district manager that i contacted for a job at CVS that blatantly turned me down and say "thank you" .don't even identify myself or anything. just call him and when he says "hello?" just "thank you"

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
No, sir, you do not know what it means to be understaffed until you work at Walgreens. We are the pioneers in cutting tech hours. All of you guys are just now imitating.

As for everything else, CVS and WAGs are both ****ty.

Reactions: 4 users
No, sir, you do not know what it means to be understaffed until you work at Walgreens. We are the pioneers in cutting tech hours. All of you guys are just now imitating.

As for everything else, CVS and WAGs are both ****ty.

No one disagrees that Walgreens also have low tech hours... The only difference is in CVS. We ve to do many things on top of that like a huddle every day, daily observations, rph PCQ and tech PCQ calls daily, dr call list that if not done within a time frame you lose points, fill out wecare board.. And much much more and many other things that ve to be done on daily basis.. I do agree that CVS and WAGs have low tech hours but you have to see that CVS makes you do so much work on top of being understaffed

Quitting CVS is the best professional decision I've ever made. Even with less pay, I am happier at work with better job security.

Worst company ever. They didn't fire me, just starve me out and try to do whatever they could to get me to quit. I thought the management treated me worse than the customers. If I were a customer, I wouldn't even shop there.

CVS health, blah blah.
I'm sure the company had some ulterior motive for stopping selling cigarettes. It wasn't because they cared about people's health. They never cared about mine, working 14 hour shifts with no lunch break or break at all.

I'm just curious- as someone who doesn't like buying things from companies that treat their employees like ****, where should I buy my medications?

I've heard good things about Sam's Club and Costco, but I've never worked there. Maybe someone who has can tell us.

No one disagrees that Walgreens also have low tech hours... The only difference is in CVS. We ve to do many things on top of that like a huddle every day, daily observations, rph PCQ and tech PCQ calls daily, dr call list that if not done within a time frame you lose points, fill out wecare board.. And much much more and many other things that ve to be done on daily basis.. I do agree that CVS and WAGs have low tech hours but you have to see that CVS makes you do so much work on top of being understaffed

We have all of that at walgreens..daily 5 minute meetings--KPIs---flu targets---action plans---on top of endless calls. I have compared tech hours from the three chains since I have friends that work for all 3 and wags is always the least tech hour per script count. Just saying....your problem is not exclusive----I ain't in a race to the bottom on this one.

We, the CVS investors, thank you for your sacrifice. Without cutting your hours to nothing we could never guarantee a growing stock price. As valuable stockholders, we need to make a profit too. Your backbreaking work is allowing us to stay in the 1%. Thank you.

Why would CVS make you work on Dr Calls? SO MUCH time consuming, I heard at Wag, you just press FAX button and it will send request to dr's office.

I am afraid b/c I am planning to join CVS.. sshh,,yes!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Do Rx supervisor worry more about writing you up OR give you a slower store where work MIGHT be little easier for pharmacist!!

I'm just curious- as someone who doesn't like buying things from companies that treat their employees like ****, where should I buy my medications?

Go to an independent pharmacy if you have one in your town.

I don't disagree with you, but I have no idea what "filling out a wecare board" is and daily observations have been gone for months.

Independent. I always support small local business and hope others will in the future.

When do you quit? As soon as you get a new job offer.

We, the CVS investors, thank you for your sacrifice. Without cutting your hours to nothing we could never guarantee a growing stock price. As valuable stockholders, we need to make a profit too. Your backbreaking work is allowing us to stay in the 1%. Thank you.

Lol @ thinking only the 1% invest. I believe cvs offers stock purchase plan, gives equity awards, and let's not forget about people who have a *gasp* 401k plan

They keep cutting tech hours, high turnover rate with techs, DMs that don't give a crap, and a lazy ass manager to top it off. The foot traffic, drive-thru, phone calls, and constantly dealing with bitchy, high-maintenance customers will drive any sane person crazy. To top it off, it doesn't help that there's an urgent care and ER a block away. We are constantly 25+ pages (400+ Rxs) behind and there's no away we can prioritize anything since almost everything is past due. Which leads to us apologizing to everyone as to why nothing is ready when promised! There will be points where we'll have an entire page of expedited waiters.

It's plain and simple that CVS "Health" is trying to promote us to work off the clock to get crap done or deal with bitchy customers. Clearly, they don't give you the manpower to get everything done.

If a person quits this horrible company, will future employers understand or will they see you as a person that can't deal with stress and as a quitter? Are most employers aware of how awful this company is to their employees?

So how many scripts do you do per week?

How many pharmacist hours per week?

How many tech hours per week?

Lol @ thinking only the 1% invest. I believe cvs offers stock purchase plan, gives equity awards, and let's not forget about people who have a *gasp* 401k plan

Lol, that post involved heavy sarcasm. You raise an excellent point though, one which Robert Kiyosaki talks about in his Richdad books. Due to 401k plans, mutual funds, and employee stock plans-- workers can become their own worst enemy. We demand higher growth, more profit, and better returns but it is often at the cost of our fellow working class. The 1% comment was tongue-in-cheek.

Quitting CVS is the best professional decision I've ever made. Even with less pay, I am happier at work with better job security.

It's the best thing I have done in my life. I am able to grow as a person, spend more time with my family and friends, grow professionally in a real career as a pharmacist, and not feel like a zombie anymore.

My independent, we do 500 scripts a day and its a piece of cake. The most we'll ever be behind at anytime is 10 scripts. It's very rare. When I hear these horror stories, and see the actual horror myself, of CVS stores with pages and pages and pages backed up, I wonder, WTF is wrong with this company? I been saying it for years... F*CK CVS. I f*cked CVS and it's the best decision I have made in my entire life.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm curious what people think from employer's perspective when someone from CVS applies.

Case 1: Still employed. You will need to explain why you are looking and why you want to leave. They will ask how much you are making.

Case 2: No longer employed (lets say quit). You will need to explain gap in employment. And you will be asked your target salary.

Does any of it make a difference? I always heard that it is easier to find new job while you are still working. Obviously many of us can't afford to quit. But when you interview, those people feel they have to compete with CVS in one way or the other. It might be salary, hours, workload etc. CVS pay is solid and many offers will come under your current salary. To make yourself a viable candidate and someone they would make an offer to, you are trying to convince them ... forget the salary, forget tons of available shifts to pick from,

We have seen both cases on this board and level of urgency changes once you quit, so you might look into and accept different types of offers too.

I'm curious what people think from employer's perspective when someone from CVS applies.
Case 1: Still employed. You will need to explain why you are looking and why you want to leave. They will ask how much you are making.
Case 2: No longer employed (lets say quit). You will need to explain gap in employment. And you will be asked your target salary.
Does any of it make a difference? I always heard that it is easier to find new job while you are still working. Obviously many of us can't afford to quit.

Yes, it matters. If a person is employed, then that is evidence that they are at least doing a minimal level of work. Whatever excuse they give as to why they are looking for another job doesn't matter as much, as the fact that someone else is confident enough in them to employe them.

When someone isn't employed, regardless of how good a reason they have for not being employed, the interviewer wonders in the back of their mind if the real reason they aren't employed is because they are a horrible, psychotic employer. It seems more risky to hire someone who isn't currently employed.

So yes, it is always easier to find another job when you are currently employed. Its an uphill battle looking for a job when you aren't employed.

Where are the CVS lovers? Defend your organization. If it is hell in CVS, who is Lucifer? Your DM or Larry Merlo

So I just started looking at this site because I wanted to know what it is like to work for CVS and now I am really scared. I would appreciate any good things anyone can say about CVS. Thanks.

Super dumb question: I was just offered a position at CVS and was offered the position "Staff Pharmacist FT." Clearly FT means full time... but does this mean that I don't have to float? Staff = at one store? Or is it not possible to tell?

Any help is appreciated.. thanks Student Doctor peoples. :)

There are literally 1 1/2 CVS lovers on this board and much of their logic comes from being well compensated. My vote for Lucifer is DM. The highest corporate guy I met is SVP of something, so it is hard to put a blame on someone many steps removed. Although we all know he is responsible for the culture.

Strawberry. All it means is you are offered to work 30+ hours for CVS (minimum to be full time and be eligible for benefits). All the rest is left up to your future supervisor. CVS likes to give new grads permanent positions quickly. Generally it is because there are holes all over the place or people looking to get out. Some districts are saturated and you will have to float for awhile. If you want answers, you should talk to your RxS. If you are signed up to work start work next summer, grad placement is not high on his priority yet.

I will give you a couple of positives. You will be employed. You will gain a lot of experience quickly, The benefits and other forms of compensation are solid.

Thank you very much! It really help clears things up. :) I am still considering it regardless of how horrible it sounds. Employment = good. Hahaha. Besides, being employed means easier to find other employment... hopefully. :)

Since I am loving the anonymity of this site, one more question to toss out there... I am being offered $52.10 to move to the middle of nowhere (LITERALLY middle of nowhere).. It feels low. Or am I being unrealistic? Is negotiation even something that is done nowadays? Hahaha. :)

Thank you very much! It really help clears things up. :) I am still considering it regardless of how horrible it sounds. Employment = good. Hahaha. Besides, being employed means easier to find other employment... hopefully. :)

Since I am loving the anonymity of this site, one more question to toss out there... I am being offered $52.10 to move to the middle of nowhere (LITERALLY middle of nowhere).. It feels low. Or am I being unrealistic? Is negotiation even something that is done nowadays? Hahaha. :)

$108k a year is a bit low but remember that living in the middle of nowhere means your cost of living is cheaper than the bigger city. When I was in pharmacy school my apartment was $290 a month and now in DFW I pay $1600 a month. So let's do the math. $290 x 12 = $3480 and $1600 x 12 = $19,200. So just on living costs alone, not including electricity and water and all that jazz, that's $15,000 to live in a bigger city. So $108k/year in Dallas, TX is not the same as $108k/year in Waco, TX. Take a look at the salaries being offered to the bigger city pharmacists and go from there. $59.25 an hour is what I came up with as an equivalent salary to a bigger city. If you're not being offered that then it's not worth going for some place that's more populated.

But all of this is nonsense anyway because it's CVS. Only fools work for CVS.

All of this happens because you guys don't follow WEcare workflow. Because you guys don't follow the workstation assignment board, you probably have an idiot for an Rx Manager, you don't prioritize and probably have horrible customer service on top of it.

I've managed many, many stores at CVS, some of which were 30+ pages in the red when I took over and a qi of 6 pages. All hell breaks loose when you don't follow workflow that the system designs you to use.

Don't blame the company, blame your inept manager and probably inept staff for not following company policies. The metrics are there to make your life EASIER, not harder. They score you on WECARE metrics to see if you're following workflow. The company (AND MYSELF) have noticed that stores that don't follow workflow end up like the very one the OP is talking about.

I guarantee that OP's stores wecare scorecard sucks to oblivion. You probably got a 15/100 last month. It has nothing to do with tech hours, nothing to do with any of that. Follow workflow, prioritize urgent work and you will be fine. Before anyone bashes the **** out of me, I have experience using these methods and have turned stores around just by doing this.

Some of you CVS bashers remind me of ferguson protestors.

All of this happens because you guys don't follow WEcare workflow. Because you guys don't follow the workstation assignment board, you probably have an idiot for an Rx Manager, you don't prioritize and probably have horrible customer service on top of it.

I've managed many, many stores at CVS, some of which were 30+ pages in the red when I took over and a qi of 6 pages. All hell breaks loose when you don't follow workflow that the system designs you to use.

Don't blame the company, blame your inept manager and probably inept staff for not following company policies. The metrics are there to make your life EASIER, not harder. They score you on WECARE metrics to see if you're following workflow. The company (AND MYSELF) have noticed that stores that don't follow workflow end up like the very one the OP is talking about.

I guarantee that OP's stores wecare scorecard sucks to oblivion. You probably got a 15/100 last month. It has nothing to do with tech hours, nothing to do with any of that. Follow workflow, prioritize urgent work and you will be fine. Before anyone bashes the **** out of me, I have experience using these methods and have turned stores around just by doing this.

Wow, you sound like someone from corporate... How long have u been a manager and how well trained were ur techs ... We care only works if u be trained techs.. How was the pharmacists that work there And how many tech hours were u allowed to work with?

Why would CVS make you work on Dr Calls? SO MUCH time consuming, I heard at Wag, you just press FAX button and it will send request to dr's office.

I am afraid b/c I am planning to join CVS.. sshh,,yes!!

In cvs, you fax it three times if no response, you all.. But most of stores in the district have no less than 60 calls per day.. Some stores over 200.. That's while doing everything else

So I just started looking at this site because I wanted to know what it is like to work for CVS and now I am really scared. I would appreciate any good things anyone can say about CVS. Thanks.

Super dumb question: I was just offered a position at CVS and was offered the position "Staff Pharmacist FT." Clearly FT means full time... but does this mean that I don't have to float? Staff = at one store? Or is it not possible to tell?

Any help is appreciated.. thanks Student Doctor peoples. :)

Pros: you ll get paid

Cons: everything else lol

LOL. People here are funny. :) Gotta say, I can't believe I spent this much time on this site.

Also, I realized that I haven't responded to the original topic. So, my two cents... I am a true believer of "life is too short" so if you are truly unhappy and it sounds like you are... then quit. Stop waiting for a magical sign to convince you to do it. Just do it. :)

If you want to be all "proper" about it, then give your 2-week notice and quit. Looking for a job before you quit is logical, but it might keep you there and make you more unhappy. Life is too short to be so damn unhappy. And, there are jobs... I mean, everyone was telling me I won't get a job when I graduate next year and I got one. Just gotta move and stuff. HAHAHA.

lkrwtf.gif

Reactions: 8 users
CVS health, blah blah.
I'm sure the company had some ulterior motive for stopping selling cigarettes. It wasn't because they cared about people's health. They never cared about mine, working 14 hour shifts with no lunch break or break at all.

They also own Caremark PBM. Now that CVS stores no longer sell tobacco, anyone with Caremark insurance will have to pay a higher copay (a penalty) if they get their prescriptions filled at a pharmacy that sells tobacco products.

Welp this thread just made my balls jump up into my stomach. Im about to start a tech position in one of the busiest cvs in the midwest

They also own Caremark PBM. Now that CVS stores no longer sell tobacco, anyone with Caremark insurance will have to pay a higher copay (a penalty) if they get their prescriptions filled at a pharmacy that sells tobacco products.

No not all Caremark plans will have that penalty, just some.

Proud of turning around a CVS store. Congratulations. There were a lot of people like that during my "graduate development" sessions. They all seemed like losers to me. It's now 5 years later. They are all exactly where they used to be. Turning around a CVS store does not translate into any other real world skills.

Oh, and I would love to blame the inadequately trained staff if there was only a staff to blame. No tech hours. Staff that don't regularly work but work like 6 to 10 hours a week, and no time for me to blame them because here I am billing a flu shot and the payer is down like usual.

Reactions: 6 users
OP, you quit when you find another job. Even if it pays lower, it's worth it. I went from $65/hour at CVS and I was content getting offers for $50/hour. That $15/hr difference that I was selling my soul for was not worth it to stay at CVS. The happiness and joy and clear mind I have now more than makes up for $15/hr or $31,000 a year.

@NateRobinson.. Your comparison of CVS's bashers to Ferguson's protesters just made me shiver.

Proud of turning around a CVS store. Congratulations. There were a lot of people like that during my "graduate development" sessions. They all seemed like losers to me. It's now 5 years later. They are all exactly where they used to be. Turning around a CVS store does not translate into any other real world skills.

Oh, and I would love to blame the inadequately trained staff if there was only a staff to blame. No tech hours. Staff that don't regularly work but work like 6 to 10 hours a week, and no time for me to blame them because here I am billing a flu shot and the payer is down like usual.

Couldn't have said it any better!! I agree 100 percent

Play the victim. That offer is low and unhealthy. I have worked small towns.

CVS health, blah blah.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/20/cvs-cigarettes-prescriptions-charge-more_n_6016856.html

They are now the only company that doesn't sell cigarettes, and "coincidence", Caremark rolls out new copay structure for those selling cigarettes.

Wow, you sound like someone from corporate... How long have u been a manager and how well trained were ur techs ... We care only works if u be trained techs.. How was the pharmacists that work there And how many tech hours were u allowed to work with?

... and who is responsible for training technicians? Who is responsible for interviewing them and making sure they are a right fit for retail. I know CVS doesn't, the DM doesn't, etc...

Let me guess... it goes back to the pharmacy manager. When a store is 40 pages in the red, it is not because CVS doesn't give enough tech hours. It is because of poor pharmacy management. If it was CVS, then ALL stores would be 40 pages in the red.

It goes back to accountability.... some people choose to blame the company, and some people move on and deal with the cards that they are played.

if you re-read your post, you clearly already know why your store sucks. It is not because CVS is trying to promote you working off the clock. It is because your pharmacy manager is lazy. That is why your techs are quitting. Techs don't work for the company. They work for the manager.

Personally, a bitchy, high maintenance customer will not go to a pharmacy that is 400 rx behind and probably have to wait a day to fill their script. I bet half your customers are really pissed because they are coming back hours later and having to wait another hour for their script. The other half is pissed because they came down and their drug required a PA or out of stock. HENCE AN ENTIRE PAGE OF EXPEDIATED WAITERS.

it is not your fault, it is not CVS's fault. It is your manager's fault. You can only do your best, and take the leadership role.... enforce Wecare workflow (clearly that is the problem here). Make sure people are not running around like crazy. Have them stay at their station, back up the lines, and rush people out. Keep an eye out QT since you are near an ugent care and ER. Do QT when ever you can. Have everyone keep at least one eye out on it.

Don't be stuck in a loser's situation.... customers getting pissed = less scripts, = less tech hours = more customers getting pissed = even less scripts etc. It is vicious cycle.

if you truly want help, feel free to PM me anytime.

$108k a year is a bit low but remember that living in the middle of nowhere means your cost of living is cheaper than the bigger city. When I was in pharmacy school my apartment was $290 a month and now in DFW I pay $1600 a month. So let's do the math. $290 x 12 = $3480 and $1600 x 12 = $19,200. So just on living costs alone, not including electricity and water and all that jazz, that's $15,000 to live in a bigger city. So $108k/year in Dallas, TX is not the same as $108k/year in Waco, TX. Take a look at the salaries being offered to the bigger city pharmacists and go from there. $59.25 an hour is what I came up with as an equivalent salary to a bigger city. If you're not being offered that then it's not worth going for some place that's more populated.

But all of this is nonsense anyway because it's CVS. Only fools work for CVS.

Benjamin:

Unless you work for CVS, you should shut up. If your store is well run and your techs are good, the workload is manageable unless you are in mid level 24 hour store. I'm not telling you it's all sunshine and light. It is much harder than it was five years ago and ten years ago. They pay me a lot of money and they expect a great deal from me. Your experience at CVS will turn on one main feature. Your pharmacy supervisor is key. If he is good, you will have a good experience. If he is bad, it will suck.

This site is now up to 3 CVS defenders. Old Timer, Aznfarmerboi and Naterobinson. I am truly surprised it's that high.

OP I will give you the advice I give all of my interns. CVS should only be used as a 2 year training stint. During that time you should be learning management skills and saving money. There are rare pockets in the country where CVS is actually tolerable. I'm going to assume that the CVS defenders are in one of these rapidly shrinking pockets. If you find yourself there then stay maybe 3 years at most.

This site is now up to 3 CVS defenders. Old Timer, Aznfarmerboi and Naterobinson. I am truly surprised it's that high.

OP I will give you the advice I give all of my interns. CVS should only be used as a 2 year training stint. During that time you should be learning management skills and saving money. There are rare pockets in the country where CVS is actually tolerable. I'm going to assume that the CVS defenders are in one of these rapidly shrinking pockets. If you find yourself there then stay maybe 3 years at most.

Been there 14 years. Left independent pharmacy where I was paid less and treated worse. Go figure.....