Working, Avoiding Glide Year, Retaking Classes - please help!

Started by sumanya
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

sumanya

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
An issue that I'm dealing with is working part-time, in addition to engaging in clinical and volunteer experience. What are everyone's recommendations when it comes to this? I would like to work part-time to have some pocket money (esp. since my parents are currently supporting me), take 2 sciences per semester, plus volunteer work. However, I am also keen on avoiding the glide year and would like to finish in a year and a summer.

Another complication - I have a B and a C for 2 semesters of advanced biology from my undergrad years. Should I retake bio? If I do, I may not be able to avoid the glide year. If I don't, I can....please help.
 
what type of postbac are you doing specifically? a little bit more information might help us suggest what you should do next year, specifically about retaking classes and whatnot
 
braluk said:
what type of postbac are you doing specifically? a little bit more information might help us suggest what you should do next year, specifically about retaking classes and whatnot

I will either go to the CUNY-HUnter program or do it myself at CUNY-Queens College. As I mentioned, I took Bio and the math requirements (although I didn't do too hot) in my undergrad and am hoping to double up on chem/phys this year and then take orgo over the summer. i would like to work part-time b/c i do have some major financial considerations, and also, I'm the type of person who needs a routine/schedule/structure to stay focused - don't want too much extra time on my hands! Ideally, I would like to combine paid work into some sort of clinical experience. Hope this makes my situation a little bit clearer for you - thanks for trying to help.