working experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rcmonkeypie

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello:

Anyone who has been out of school for a while but now thinking about applying dental school? Do you find that working experience increases the chances of acceptance?

rc

Members don't see this ad.

I think there is a definite advantage. I graduated college in 1998 and have worked as a chemist for a refinery ever since. I decided to apply this past year and was accepted. Every school i interviewed with asked me questions about my job. I think schools are very interested and like the fact that you have chosen a career in dentistry by giving up something else. It shows them you are committed and are putting every effort into this career. They look for maturity and determination each of which comes from holding a professional career. Believe me, i have only average stats and was accepted to two great schools so i feel my job played a role in helping get admitted.

I graduated as a EE, worked as an IT consultant doing business analysis and software development for almost 3 years before applying to d-school. I was able to do my d-school pre-reqs part-time and work full-time.

I think that ppl coming from a working background with some real world experience definitely enhances your application.
1) you should have enough maturity to manage your time appropriately (hence you see many post-bacc ppl getting much better grades than their undergrad)
2) you should pick up valuable ppl and management skills that will help you a) relate to your patients b) manage your practice
3) as pumpkins90 mentioned, it shows true dedication that you have explored alternative career paths, chosen dentistry, and have enough drive and determination to switch over to dentistry.

My gpa was dismal in undergrad; I was able to bring it up in my post-bacc work (it's still dismal, though). The fact that I was able to work and do well in school showed the d-schools that I had enough discipline and smarts to make it. Plus I was able to pay down a significant amount of my ug school debt, so that was another area that I was able to demonstrate discipline and maturity. Anyways, I was accepted to UTHSC-SA, still waiting on UTH, rejected from Baylor. Plus, if you're working, you always have a backup plan if things don't work out.

Best of luck to you - pumpkins90 and I have been through, so if you have a true desire for dentistry, best of luck to you...

I think it helps. With time off after having graduating, you get the chance to mature and develop lots of skills in the real world that you wouldn't otherwise get if you stayed in school. That is probably why the average age getting into professional schools is 25-26. Most people take time off and the schools know that the older students have taken time to seriously consider their choices.