Working for MSG

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hockeyfan5110786

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently about to enter 3rd year of residency. Wanted to ask you about being employed with a multi specialty group

How much more money do they make versus a regular private practice? Do they bill differently? When hiring a Podiatrist what do they want us for, do they make more money from us via clinic patients or doing surgeries. I was talking with an MSG and they have their own surgery center, they said they expect providers to see around 25 patients a day and 1 day of surgeries a week (numbers not set in stone but an estimate).

I am trying to not be surgery heavy but dont want to miss out on this opp. How can I negotiate to running their clinic and try doing as little as surgery as possible.
What would be examples of non surgical revenue streams that Podiatry could provide for them besides typical, PRP/stem cell injections, DME, orthotics. It seems for 25 patients they will be offering around 200k plus full benefits if seeing 25 patients a day. Will they end up making enough money off of me if barely doing any surgery? Besides the occasional bunions/ wound debridement with grafts etc?

Also, what are some negotiating points when dealing with MSG or things to look out for etc etc. Would really appreciate any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Every MSG is different. At this one if you do not do enough surgery there is a chance you will be replaced or you may make much less income.

Reactions: 1 users
I’m currently around 25 patients a day in my MSG and I’m making them a boat load of money, with or without surgery. That’s how they can justify these higher salaries because of the money you/I bring in. With that said, you do need to learn how to bill to the highest level - ethically and legally to capture what you do.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What would be examples of non surgical revenue streams that Podiatry could provide for them besides typical, PRP/stem cell injections, DME, orthotics.
Most of the income generated in podiatry is not from doing surgery but mostly from general podiatric clinic pathologies (inj, Ingrown nail, DME, warts, biopsy, grafts, collagen powder, etc). I believe most important for success is having all the stars align such as good patient volume with good insurance mix in a good location (middle class neighborhood or higher) etc. As you can see all or most of the stars have to align and you can be very successful practicing non-surgical. Doing procedures in clinic generate a great deal of income. You make more money from doing surgery because the MSG owns the surgery center. Some MSG and basically all hospitals also owns not only the surgery center but imaging center, physical therapy and other ancillary stuffs that generate revenue.

Realize that the average PP either solo or medium size that does not own the surgery center, imaging etc mostly generate their income from office clinic work and they do make a lot of money for the owner. You will even hear that in some practices, the senior partners have stopped doing surgery to focus mainly on clinic and this is because the money is mainly in clinic. A new associate is happy to be in the OR all day until your W2 comes at the end of the year and you only make a total of below $150k (base and bonus) year after year being a Podiatric surgeon.

Surgery does not pay well is not a myth. SURGERY REALL DOES NOT PAY WELL for the work and stress you go through.

Most of the income generated in podiatry is not from doing surgery but mostly from general podiatric clinic pathologies (inj, Ingrown nail, DME, warts, biopsy, grafts, collagen powder, etc). I believe most important for success is having all the stars align such as good patient volume with good insurance mix in a good location (middle class neighborhood or higher) etc. As you can see all or most of the stars have to align and you can be very successful practicing non-surgical. Doing procedures in clinic generate a great deal of income. You make more money from doing surgery because the MSG owns the surgery center. Some MSG and basically all hospitals also owns not only the surgery center but imaging center, physical therapy and other ancillary stuffs that generate revenue.

Realize that the average PP either solo or medium size that does not own the surgery center, imaging etc mostly generate their income from office clinic work and they do make a lot of money for the owner. You will even hear that in some practices, the senior partners have stopped doing surgery to focus mainly on clinic and this is because the money is mainly in clinic. A new associate is happy to be in the OR all day until your W2 comes at the end of the year and you only make a total of below $150k (base and bonus) year after year being a Podiatric surgeon.

Surgery does not pay well is not a myth. SURGERY REALL DOES NOT PAY WELL for the work and stress you go through.
Besides ingrown nails, what other procedures do you typically do?

So what’s the difference between seeing 25 patients in private practice vs with MSG in terms of reimbursement or getting paid.

So if the MSG owns a surgery center is clinic still more profitable for them? How much do they make for simple procedures like bunion/hammertoe/lesion excision etc?
Is it true they lose money on rear foot and/or hardware heavy cases?

Reactions: 1 user
Besides ingrown nails, what other procedures do you typically do?

So what’s the difference between seeing 25 patients in private practice vs with MSG in terms of reimbursement or getting paid.

So if the MSG owns a surgery center is clinic still more profitable for them? How much do they make for simple procedures like bunion/hammertoe/lesion excision etc?
Is it true they lose money on rear foot and/or hardware heavy cases?

Did you do any kind of clinic work in residency…… use that experience as your gauge to what needs to be done, to do and try to do for your patients.

I’m currently around 25 patients a day in my MSG and I’m making them a boat load of money, with or without surgery. That’s how they can justify these higher salaries because of the money you/I bring in. With that said, you do need to learn how to bill to the highest level - ethically and legally to capture what you do.
Where can one gain this knowledge

Where can one gain this knowledge
YouTube. APMA videos. Find honest ethical attendings to learn from during residency. Do not be swayed by attendings that brag about how much they make and/or bill. Just because they say it worked for the past X years doesn’t mean it will still be under the radar. Use the CPT code books. Learn Medicare rules and guidelines for diabetic care. Trial and error when you’re out in practice. Again - bill to the highest level that best and closely matches what you provided to the patient. And please do not send patients home with a nap sack full of DME products if you’re in PP.

The stories I hear from current fellows and new grads about how they were taught to bill is disheartening to hear because it’s only a matter of time before someone gets audited and busted. I guess the immediate Cush doctor lifestyle is more worth it than future jail time. To each their own. And don’t let reps tell you how to bill. Never.

I can go on and on but I need to get back to work.

So some food for thought; before you even cut you need consider:
1) Bump in malpractice coverage to do major surgery (considered bone work). This can be thousands in premiums each year vs. a minor procedure plan that is much cheaper
2) Dues to hospital/surgery center
3) Time wasted for patient's FMLA forms (not worth the effort for the $10-25 that may not be paid to you in MSG)
4) Time wasted on patient follow up visits in global
5) Post op phone calls at 2 am
6) Prior authorizations
and lasty the most importantl!!!!! $700 every 3 years to keep your DEA active for narcotic Rx!!!!!

• Dislike
1) Bump in malpractice coverage to do major surgery (considered bone work). This can be thousands in premiums each year vs. a minor procedure plan that is much cheaper
Podiatry malpractice is cheap. This is a meaningless $ figure in the grand scheme of running a practice or working as a contractor where you could be on the hook for malpractice on your own

2) Dues to hospital/surgery center
Never even heard of this. I’ve only ever had one hospital system that required an application fee. I don’t doubt it exists, but there is no way this is normal across the country.

3) Time wasted for patient's FMLA forms (not worth the effort for the $10-25 that may not be paid to you in MSG)
If you’re in an MSG you don’t (or at least shouldn’t) do any FMLA paperwork. You just sign your name and sometimes answer a question or two from the staff who does this for you. Hell, I don’t even have to sign most of them but I do have a very good stamp that drops an quality signature on those forms

4) Time wasted on patient follow up visits in global
5) Post op phone calls at 2 am
#4 is true, but #5 is insanity. I worked for a podiatrist where I did have to answer phone calls from post-op patients but that is not something that is required simply because you do surgery.

6) Prior authorizations
Again, you have staff doing this and it’s only for commercial plans and with most commercial insurers for most procedures it takes 5 minutes on their availity portal or whatever they use.

Surgery is the reason employed doctors (hospital/MSG) are paid well, and it’s required to tap into one of the larger ancillary revenue streams available to PP doctors. You certainly could wind up in an area where there aren’t investment opportunities. But those opportunities are completely non existent without doing some surgical cases. Surgical reimbursements are bad when you compare them to wound care, ingrown toenails, destruction of benign lesions. Obviously. But performing surgery isn’t always some money loser, the downstream revenue can/should find ways into your pocket. One way or another.

Reactions: 4 users
How much more money do they make versus a regular private practice?
MSG has slightly different setups based off size and location. Pay in an MSG is more consistent than PP, but often has a cap.

Do they bill differently?
yes and no. Billing in a MSG can be collections based like PP or wRVU based depending on contract/setup. There are other motivating factors. MSGs often own the physical therapy group, imaging center, and outpatient/inpatient surgery centers and thus you will be driving revenue through those avenues. This means you do not have to sling powders, laser therapy, and lotions/potions like PP.

When hiring a Podiatrist what do they want us for?
They want podiatrists to get the foot complaints out of the PCP offices, get foot complaints out of the ortho office, keep the XR/CT/MRI machines busy, keep PT referrals flowing, and provide quick/profitable cases for the surgery centers.

How can I negotiate to running their clinic and try doing as little as surgery as possible?
Why...I would say negotiate doing forefoot/boutique. You can do lumps/bumps, toe amps, cheilectomies, hammer toes, nail removals, ect. This work is low stress and keeps the OR busy. That way everyone is happy. Not everyone has to be doing big cases. You can stay busy with the easy stuff. Just make sure they are not expecting flatfoot recons, ect.

What would be examples of non surgical revenue streams that Podiatry could provide for them?
See above. Imaging, PT, more productive ortho/PCP clinics, and DME. No need to push the latest/greatest industry junk just see patients and bill appropriately. They will make plenty off of you.

Reactions: 7 users
How much more money do they make versus a regular private practice?
MSG has slightly different setups based off size and location. Pay in an MSG is more consistent than PP, but often has a cap.

Do they bill differently?
yes and no. Billing in a MSG can be collections based like PP or wRVU based depending on contract/setup. There are other motivating factors. MSGs often own the physical therapy group, imaging center, and outpatient/inpatient surgery centers and thus you will be driving revenue through those avenues. This means you do not have to sling powders, laser therapy, and lotions/potions like PP.

When hiring a Podiatrist what do they want us for?
They want podiatrists to get the foot complaints out of the PCP offices, get foot complaints out of the ortho office, keep the XR/CT/MRI machines busy, keep PT referrals flowing, and provide quick/profitable cases for the surgery centers.

How can I negotiate to running their clinic and try doing as little as surgery as possible?
Why...I would say negotiate doing forefoot/boutique. You can do lumps/bumps, toe amps, cheilectomies, hammer toes, nail removals, ect. This work is low stress and keeps the OR busy. That way everyone is happy. Not everyone has to be doing big cases. You can stay busy with the easy stuff. Just make sure they are not expecting flatfoot recons, ect.

What would be examples of non surgical revenue streams that Podiatry could provide for them?
See above. Imaging, PT, more productive ortho/PCP clinics, and DME. No need to push the latest/greatest industry junk just see patients and bill appropriately. They will make plenty off of you.
Nailed it

Podiatry malpractice is cheap. This is a meaningless $ figure in the grand scheme of running a practice or working as a contractor where you could be on the hook for malpractice on your own

Never even heard of this. I’ve only ever had one hospital system that required an application fee. I don’t doubt it exists, but there is no way this is normal across the country.

If you’re in an MSG you don’t (or at least shouldn’t) do any FMLA paperwork. You just sign your name and sometimes answer a question or two from the staff who does this for you. Hell, I don’t even have to sign most of them but I do have a very good stamp that drops an quality signature on those forms

#4 is true, but #5 is insanity. I worked for a podiatrist where I did have to answer phone calls from post-op patients but that is not something that is required simply because you do surgery.

Again, you have staff doing this and it’s only for commercial plans and with most commercial insurers for most procedures it takes 5 minutes on their availity portal or whatever they use.

Surgery is the reason employed doctors (hospital/MSG) are paid well, and it’s required to tap into one of the larger ancillary revenue streams available to PP doctors. You certainly could wind up in an area where there aren’t investment opportunities. But those opportunities are completely non existent without doing some surgical cases. Surgical reimbursements are bad when you compare them to wound care, ingrown toenails, destruction of benign lesions. Obviously. But performing surgery isn’t always some money loser, the downstream revenue can/should find ways into your pocket. One way or another.

MSGs

Good: there is hired help to do the paperwork and other headaches
Bad: there are many "clip board nurses"

Members don't see this ad :)
All of the hospitals I'm on require yearly dues. From where I am at it ranges from 500-700 yearly. Surgery centers are free of course.

It varies

One hospital might have no fees, free food, no mandatory section or annual meetings, lenient on how far away you can live, no ER call etc

Another hospital could be the opposite in all areas

You could live in area where you are on at 5 hospitals and it only requires some extra credentialing or live somewhere where it was enough of a hassle with all the things mentioned above you only are on at one

Malpractice limits required tend to be higher at hospitals than most surgery centers also

All of the hospitals I'm on require yearly dues. From where I am at it ranges from 500-700 yearly. Surgery centers are free of course.
Same. ^
Every hospital I've applied to has had $100-500 app fee and roughly same to renew. Some are nice enough to have an app fee and then another fee when you're approved. Good times. Surgery centers are included with the associated hospital or typically have low/no fees if private or physician-owned since they want cases.
The only hospital fees exception I've ever had would be if you are employed by that hospital... of course they don't charge employed docs.

...And surgery matters a ton to MSGs (or pod/ortho groups) if they own and operate a surgery center (and if you're in the group or even nearby, they are highly likely to pass along the incentive$ to do cases there). They do very well on in-network and even better on out-of-network procedures if patients have good payers.

It seems so foreign to have to pay an app fee/dues….Probably just a big city thing as all the rural places are just happy to have someone serving their community.

… Or one of the MSG office people take care of it. They pre filled out all my apps and renewals so all I needed to do is review and sign. They also Renew my state license, DEA, insurance panel, ect (Except for signatures of course). It’s nice to have handlers to take of stuff. One less thing to worry about.

...And surgery matters a ton to MSGs (or pod/ortho groups) if they own and operate a surgery center (and if you're in the group or even nearby, they are highly likely to pass along the incentive$ to do cases there). They do very well on in-network and even better on out-of-network procedures if patients have good payers.

Simple surgeries mean a ton to MSGs and even more in the rural setting.

Most places that are truly rural have hospitals that are designated critical access. This changes the pay structure/arrangement with Medicare making procedures more economically viable. Even a small stream of cases help keep these facilities afloat. It becomes highly advantageous to do small stress free cases as they are good for the MSG and the critical access hospital. Remember what is good for them is good for you.

Simple surgeries mean a ton to MSGs and even more in the rural setting.

Most places that are truly rural have hospitals that are designated critical access. This changes the pay structure/arrangement with Medicare making procedures more economically viable. Even a small stream of cases help keep these facilities afloat. It becomes highly advantageous to do small stress free cases as they are good for the MSG and the critical access hospital. Remember what is good for them is good for you.
So these critical access hospitals are probably really wanting docs to come on staff then. There’s a few in my area , relatively small practitioner listing

This is the key. They couldn’t care less about whether you’re doing big ankle recons or toes, just as long as you’re filling your surgery center OR day regularly. They especially love cases that require minimal or no hardware - cheilectomy, PF release, k wire hammertoe, massage with application of lotion etc

So these critical access hospitals are probably really wanting docs to come on staff then. There’s a few in my area , relatively small practitioner listing

More than a few of the active members on this forum are rural (or some version of rural). I am sure they would echo the advice that rural hospitals are great opportunities. You may not be doing big fancy cases there, but you make good money and serve a real need. Typically less headaches/friction between specialists and just overall a good work environment.

My surgery center routinely asks patients for $3K up front for small procedures that I do in 15 minutes with no hardware. And the up front cost is not the total cost. Resident-me would have crapped on attending me but small cases are beautiful. Patients still like them. Tourniquet time is tiny. A good block before hand often results in minimalist anesthesia reducing post-operative nausea/pain complaints. Less fiddling, less tissue injury means less swelling and less infection. Less of those means patients are much more likely to heal their incisions at 10-11 days and be discharged. Quick cases means multiple cases can be done and the day can be over. Simple cases mean a tech who has never scrubbed with you can likely perform competently. For all the talk of room turn over, surgery center techs often get to go home when the day is done. If you tell a tech you have 3 15 minutes cases and you will be leaving they often turn the room over fast so they can go home. Many cases can be discharged at about 2 weeks with reasonable expectations. Once skin heals on a cheilectomy or a plantar fascial release the patient can simply be released to walk / move / stretch etc.

I am unfortunately becoming of the opinion that we "don't get paid for the surgery". If you divide the value of a surgery by the number of follow-up visits you essentially have hopefully 2-3 "quick" $150-250 or whatever dollar amount follow-up visits. Under this mentality, which is not without its flaws, if the surgery is free then it needs to be controlled.*

*Note that I will obviously do whatever is needed for the patient, but I'm also looking for a theory to try and govern/protect myself in a world of what feels like decreasing reimbursement. We have to evaluate things we always believed in. For example, I've written about this elsewhere but I'm down to 1 post-op visit for flexor tenotomies in the office. A similar example of sorts - my residency's favorite tailor's bunion procedure was always - 5th metatarsal head resection.

My surgery center routinely asks patients for $3K up front for small procedures that I do in 15 minutes with no hardware. And the up front cost is not the total cost. Resident-me would have crapped on attending me but small cases are beautiful. Patients still like them. Tourniquet time is tiny. A good block before hand often results in minimalist anesthesia reducing post-operative nausea/pain complaints. Less fiddling, less tissue injury means less swelling and less infection. Less of those means patients are much more likely to heal their incisions at 10-11 days and be discharged. Quick cases means multiple cases can be done and the day can be over. Simple cases mean a tech who has never scrubbed with you can likely perform competently. For all the talk of room turn over, surgery center techs often get to go home when the day is done. If you tell a tech you have 3 15 minutes cases and you will be leaving they often turn the room over fast so they can go home. Many cases can be discharged at about 2 weeks with reasonable expectations. Once skin heals on a cheilectomy or a plantar fascial release the patient can simply be released to walk / move / stretch etc.

I am unfortunately becoming of the opinion that we "don't get paid for the surgery". If you divide the value of a surgery by the number of follow-up visits you essentially have hopefully 2-3 "quick" $150-250 or whatever dollar amount follow-up visits. Under this mentality, which is not without its flaws, if the surgery is free then it needs to be controlled.*

*Note that I will obviously do whatever is needed for the patient, but I'm also looking for a theory to try and govern/protect myself in a world of what feels like decreasing reimbursement. We have to evaluate things we always believed in. For example, I've written about this elsewhere but I'm down to 1 post-op visit for flexor tenotomies in the office. A similar example of sorts - my residency's favorite tailor's bunion procedure was always - 5th metatarsal head resection.
Interesting. What are you thoughts on converting some of these “quick” procedures to in office procedures? Tenotomies, arthroplasty for toes, even simple cheilectomies can be done under local (albeit a very very good block). I don’t thin u necessarily need a full converted “surgery center room” in the office but you would need sterile drapes, instruments etc. I’ve heard a lot of talk on this from other docs . Just not sure how deseable it is. Dentists do tons of their stuff in the office with local. It seems like podiatry could benefit from this as well. I’ve seen docs do smart toe implants under local at the SURGERY CENTER. Why not just do that in the office ? Schedule before or after clinic patients and make a good days revenue . Easy for the patient, profitable and productive for the doc (hopefully).

Critical access hospitals have been thoroughly discussed here. Lots of threads. Although can be hard to find since we often get off topic. But hey did you heelar about the fellowship trained foot and ankle surgeon who was unbundling their lapiplasty while being ABPM certified only and Ortho came in and took their privileges away?

Squirrel. Red ball.

Interesting. What are you thoughts on converting some of these “quick” procedures to in office procedures? Tenotomies, arthroplasty for toes, even simple cheilectomies can be done under local (albeit a very very good block). I don’t thin u necessarily need a full converted “surgery center room” in the office but you would need sterile drapes, instruments etc. I’ve heard a lot of talk on this from other docs . Just not sure how deseable it is. Dentists do tons of their stuff in the office with local. It seems like podiatry could benefit from this as well. I’ve seen docs do smart toe implants under local at the SURGERY CENTER. Why not just do that in the office ? Schedule before or after clinic patients and make a good days revenue . Easy for the patient, profitable and productive for the doc (hopefully).

There are complicated interests at play here. If you don't own a surgery center and you can do something in your office you MIGHT receive more money for doing it there. Medicare will pay more in the office. However, there are commercial insurances that pay the same rate in the office as they do in the operating room. You'll obviously have to do a good job in the office. If you are the employee of a hospital/MSG etc you theoretically will receive the same RVU whether its in a clinic or a operating room. If you were employed by a MSG or owned shares in a surgery center - the surgery center facility fee significantly exceeds the increased reimbursement in the office. Let's say you do something in an office and it approximately doubles the reimbursement ie. 400 to 800 or whatever. But if you'd been employed by an MSG they might have gotten $3K in facility reimbursement. In this situation the interests of the patient are not exactly served by your interests or the interests of the group.

I painfully watched the "Million Dollar Practice" Asian dude with the cross arms and what not. If you've wondered what he's pushing - its MIS surgery in the office for cash. You drop the majority of your insurances and do no-fixation MIS cash for the majority of patients. What does he get out of it? Training/"Mentorship" fees I suppose. I couldn't stomach most of it (repetitious) so I just skipped through a lot of it. But there are parts of it that sort of made sense to me. Essentially bring it back to your office and charge what you are worth.

Tenotomies, arthroplasty for toes, even simple cheilectomies can be done under local (albeit a very very good block).
You just have to purchase fluoro for some osseous stuff. That’s not an insignificant expense that will take volume/use to cover costs. If you get $500 for the cheilectomy at an ASC you might get $800-900 by doing it in office (heybrother probably has a more accurate idea of actual reimbursements and I’m too lazy to look them up). For a couple hundred extra bucks, how many cheilectomies do you have to do to pay for that in office fluoro? I think you need to go full blown, in office, MIS procedures to make it worth it. And that’s probably why the people selling that idea will tell you to do it that way.

Regardless of bony procedures, you should do all tenotomy, fasciotomy type stuff that you can easily do under local in office.

I’ve seen docs do smart toe implants under local at the SURGERY CENTER. Why not just do that in the office ?

You know how much those implants cost? The ASC likely lost money, but I can guarantee that would lose money in your office. Unless you converted a room in the office to a certified surgical center which comes with it’s own significant expense. And again, any expensive hardware would lose you money. You can’t even do lapiplasty in a ASC without billing fraudulently. Well, you can but the facility will lose money on your case.

In office surgery requires zero to minimal hardware and hardware must be very cheap (ie a single burr, a few k wires, a solid synthes screw or two). That’s the only way it is profitable with reimbursements. Smart toe implants aren’t an option

EDIT: heybrother apparently posted the same thing above as I did while I was typing. Great minds…or something like that.

Last edited:
I try to avoid doing any procedures in the office and take them to the surgery center because I believe doing procedures in a clean and sterile OR field is in the better interest of the patient.

Minor disclaimer: I’m a shareholder of the surgery center

I'm down to 1 post-op visit for flexor tenotomies in the office. A similar example of sorts - my residency's favorite tailor's bunion procedure was always - 5th metatarsal head resection.

I don’t recall your employment situation, but my MSG provides me a nurse and an medical assistant. The nurse performs all in office procedure follow-up. If you have a nurse at your disposal have them work to their fullest scope and lose the post procedure visit. Haven’t seen tenotomy, nail procedure, or initial soft tissue procedure followup in ages.

I do flexor tenotomies, nail procedures, simple mass excisions, foreign body removals, and occasionally amp toes in office. Beyond that ASC/hospital.

You likely dont have the proper ventilation or the right "sterile" conditions to be doing a lot of stuff in the office. To an attorney that puts a giant target on your back.

As Heybrother said above MIS practices are starting to become a thing. Its a stab incision for osteotomy and probably fairly safe... But I still wouldnt do it in office. The first patient to get osteo and youre in a lot of trouble.

As Pronation said. Its not whats best for the patient.

Last edited:
I generally do ingrown procedures in the office however... ASC turnover is so fast, about 15 minutes from patient A rolling out to patient B rolling in, that I'll happily take an ingrown to the ASC if a patient has hesitation with an office lidocaine injection and they would prefer sedation...

Very negligible disclaimer: am ASC shareholder

I generally do ingrown procedures in the office however... ASC turnover is so fast, about 15 minutes from patient A rolling out to patient B rolling in, that I'll happily take an ingrown to the ASC if a patient has hesitation with an office lidocaine injection and they would prefer sedation...

Very negligible disclaimer: am ASC shareholder
The ASC I work at told me they get something like $20 for a nail procedure. They only let me schedule them for peds (which is really all I would ever need) and try to get me to book other cases the same day.

...Tenotomies, arthroplasty for toes, even simple cheilectomies can be done under local (albeit a very very good block). I don’t thin u necessarily need a full converted “surgery center room” in the office but you would need sterile drapes, instruments etc. I’ve heard a lot of talk on this from other docs ...
Yep, you can do that stuff under local. Or you can care about patient safety, infections, your license and career, etc.
This is one of those "can be done" vs "should be done" situations.

It is no longer the standard of care to do any bone/joint surgery in the regular office. Most of the DPMs still doing that stuff are the bottom of the barrel and not getting very many patients/referrals, so they are usually also the ones trying to operate on old/sick/obese people that others in the area are too smart to (even in a real OR). They will have no legal ground to stand on, and any expert saying they were choosing to do sub-standard care and take unnecessary risk when they get a cardiac complication from local, axniety attack, infection that needs an amp or PICC, etc from doing office bone surgery. If you read the meeting minutes for state pod boards, they all have to deal with these in-office disaster complications every year.

As said, the accredited surgery center in/near a DPM office where you have real equipment (proper insurance, ASC corp setup, scrub sink, real lights, power saw and drill and driver, tourniquet set, anesthesia machine, IV poles and fluids, crash cart/kit, full sterile instruments set and backup, basic screw set and pins set for backup, bovie setup, suction, nitro and O2 tanks, maybe flouro, etc) is significantly different. The costs are tens of thousands, usually well into six figures before even hiring the staff. That can be very profitable to get that accreditation in the long term, and you can do basically any basic forefoot or soft tissue case if you are skilled - or even a bit more like gastroc and Lapidus and basic rearfoot if you have good skills and flouro. You can do MIS if you believe in that voodoo and that the 2nd coming will catch on better than the first (just like MPJ implants?). The limiting factor for the tiny ASC when it comes to podiatry cases, beyond surgeon skill, is usually any case requires thigh cuff will require general due to pain (and longer op time)... so, most CRNAs will balk at that due to risk, longer recovery time, slight risk of needing hospital xfer for admit. They (wisely) don't want that in that setting, and the docs shouldn't want that in that one-room "surgery center" either. Those are cases for more of a real surgery center, or a hospital.
...However, it is a risk. It's not cheap buy all that "accredited surgery center" stuff and definitely not cheap to pay a CRNA, circ nurse, pre/post op nurse, tech, receptionist or service, etc that can all coordinate for a few days per month. Beyond just the equipment and logistics of staffing, if a patient cancels or weather is terrible or even one staff member calls in sick last minute, you are up a creek and out a ton of money. Even assuming you have all the moving parts in place, you're still a fool if you take anything more than ASA II patients to a place like that. Those small accredited ASC setups can usually work if you have the volume or incentivi$e other area surgeons to do cases at your center - and the centers do work for many plastics, ENT, pod, etc. I have seen a few DPMs make it work fairly well, but it is becoming more rare (I think most young DPMs would just invest in a surgery center, get into one through ortho/MSG, etc). The mini "accredited surgery center" is infinitely different and more costly than trying to do straight local bone surgery in a basic podiatry office, though.

In the normal pod office, a lesser toe amp, perc tendonotomy or fasciotomy, wound care, removal of a pin, skin lesions, and similar soft tissue stuff is about as far as you want to go. I agree with what's said above regarding what is reasonable and within standards for the office setting. Those goofballs you see taking out ankle lipomas or doing digit arthroplasty under local in regular office on YouTube are nuts and probably doing it because they don't have privileges. It is not a "let your conscience be your guide thing," it is about knowing what is normal in your profession and safe for patients. If you are ever in your exam room and looking at a bone or joint that wasn't already exposed from a wound when the patient came in, you screwed up royally. Some plastics or ENTs do quite a bit in office under local since it's within standard of care for them and/or the patient insurance won't cover ASC/hospital since it's cosmetic... but that's not the case for podaitry. It is all about the standard of care, patient safety, and not crashing off the guard rails on that.

...In the end, regardless of your practice situation, you'd be surprised how much bringing cases to various local ASCs and hospitals at least semi-frequently helps get your name out there as the competent and friendly F&A doc. I agree you don't do ingrowns or warts or stuff in OR unless you really need to (peds, developmental disability), but even something borderline like a plantar fasciotomy is something I'd much rather do at the ASC or hospital since they'll be glad to have the case, you will have at least a dozen people see your name that way, I can do a better job, and it's safer and less anxiety for the patient. That is well worth getting $500 instead of $800 or whatever it'd be to do that CPT in the office under local. Don't step over dollars to save dimes in that regard. Of course, the best case is that you have shares/own a center or your MSG/ortho owns one and you bring most of your cases there, but it works out regardless. The ASCs basically want quick cases, and hospitals tend to respect that more too. They think you're a star if you can bang out 5 easy/medium cases like Austin, neuroma, Lapidus, plantar fasciotomy, hammertoes in a morning... but the hospitals tend to dislike if some other doc takes that 3-4hrs to do one Charcot case or one flat foot case. It is just the way things are... the staff don't understand the complexity levels, so they will almost invariably think fast and friendly surgeon = good surgeon.

Last edited: