Working full-time and studying for MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

_NM_

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey! I just wanted to know if anyone else is or will be studying for the MCAT and working full time? I'm having trouble deciding how many months will be sufficient.

I started studying for CARS this summer (the first time I took the MCAT, verbal did not go so well), but have yet to start content review. I took the old MCAT, and I remember that after 3 months of studying 6-8 hrs a day, I barely felt prepared to take that one, so I can imagine that I'd need a lot longer to study for the new one--especially since I've never taken biochem

Members don't see this ad.

I'll be working full time and taking the mcat next summer. I plan to study for 4-5 months with the plan of a late august/September test date. I've never taken the mcat, but I don't think it is wise to take it without having taken biochem.

I'll be working full time and taking the mcat next summer. I plan to study for 4-5 months with the plan of a late august/September test date. I've never taken the mcat, but I don't think it is wise to take it without having taken biochem.

Yeah, I'm hoping to take it in January/February, but I'm not sure if that's too soon. Yeah I'm thinking of taking one of those edX courses or something for biochem. Since I already graduated, there's not much else I can do :/

Yeah, I'm hoping to take it in January/February, but I'm not sure if that's too soon. Yeah I'm thinking of taking one of those edX courses or something for biochem. Since I already graduated, there's not much else I can do :/
January/February should be fine if you can get biochem down before that. If not I would enroll in a biochem course at a university or cc before studying for the mcat. If you're able to enroll in a course before your intended date I think you'll be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! I just wanted to know if anyone else is or will be studying for the MCAT and working full time? I'm having trouble deciding how many months will be sufficient.

I started studying for CARS this summer (the first time I took the MCAT, verbal did not go so well), but have yet to start content review. I took the old MCAT, and I remember that after 3 months of studying 6-8 hrs a day, I barely felt prepared to take that one, so I can imagine that I'd need a lot longer to study for the new one--especially since I've never taken biochem
I did it for my retake and retook because of CARS as well. I had 5 weeks to study for my retake where 4 of those weeks I had research from 830-5. It was hard as hell but by studying from 6-8 A.M and then from 6-10 pm I managed. Just be prepared to give up any free time in your life except the little slice at the end of the day. It sucked and I don't recommend it. I did manage to improve though so it is possible.

I'm currently working full time and plan to take the exam in January. I've scheduled about 3-4 hours a day to study and I find that I study much more on the weekends than I plan too, but so far I feel very confident that I will cover all of the material listed in the AAMC outline (possibly a bit too soon, but I plan to just take extra FL practice exams in that case). Honestly, you can do it if you really want to. ;)

Thanks so much for all the advice! I feel a lot more confident about my choice to work full time haha. And thanks for the heads up, I will definitely take biochem before January.

I did it for my retake and retook because of CARS as well. I had 5 weeks to study for my retake where 4 of those weeks I had research from 830-5. It was hard as hell but by studying from 6-8 A.M and then from 6-10 pm I managed. Just be prepared to give up any free time in your life except the little slice at the end of the day. It sucked and I don't recommend it. I did manage to improve though so it is possible.

Woah!! You are so dedicated haha. How much had you studied for the first test you took?

I studied for less than 6 weeks while working full-time. My practice scores right before the test were 96-98th percentile (haven't received official score yet). It's definitely doable, just need to be committed to your schedule.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I studied for less than 6 weeks while working full-time. My practice scores right before the test were 96-98th percentile (haven't received official score yet). It's definitely doable, just need to be committed to your schedule.

No need to brag man...

@_NM_ Good luck on your test. Is your job M-F?

What materials did you use and how did you study? How many hours a day did you study? What practice tests did you use and what were your scores on them?

What materials did you use and how did you study? How many hours a day did you study? What practice tests did you use and what were your scores on them?

I used TPR complete set. Also had Kaplan and EK from the old tests from a friend but never got to them and felt TPR was enough.

I studied between 8-13 hours a day. Woke up at 5am daily worked out then studied until midday. Worked from midday to late evening. Did a couple hours studying at night and went to bed between 10pm and 12pm depending on the day. I functioned well on 3-5 hours of sleep throughout college so getting 5-7 daily during tidying was a lot for me. YMMV

Used 3 TPR, 1 NS (free), 1 GS (free), and all AAMC materials, including the OG as a half length, the SB timed like a FL (it's a little above a FL, 300 vs 234, so adjusted the time per question). Did all the private companies first tests ranged from 506 at diagnostic and a few points above, then AAMC materials were all 96-98th as mentioned above. Note TPR tests are very deflating. I took one TPR two days before my unscored, had something like 507/8 on the TPR and converted 518 on the unscored. I found the TPR's great because it's a deeper level of details and the passages are much, much longer so I felt the AAMC stuff felt easier after going through all of it.

Also used Anki, I made a card for everything through my content review with the TPR books and tried to do them daily though I missed days here and there, which would make my due decks huge. I definitely think this was a major player in my performance. I made a deck per test section, had about 30 cards a day in each. Reviews on my way to work, at work when I had a chance, first thing in the morning, and in bed before I fell asleep.

Thanks so much for all the advice! I feel a lot more confident about my choice to work full time haha. And thanks for the heads up, I will definitely take biochem before January.

Woah!! You are so dedicated haha. How much had you studied for the first test you took?
About a month, 2 weeks solid content review and learning all of physcis II and psych...omg. Then 2-3 weeks of doing AAMC practice and a few practice tests.

Whoops my B. My intention wasn't to be a jerk. I apologize for that. I guess you can say I am a little insecure lol. Standardized tests don't come easy to me especially when you have to apply all the knowledge from prerequisites to the Mcat. I am also seeking constructive advice for preparation for the Mcat test. I will be taking the test next year September. This fall/spring I will be retaking some of my prerequisites to prepare for the Mcat while working part-time. Verbal is my weakest area so I know I will need to target that area heavily.

I used TPR complete set. Also had Kaplan and EK from the old tests from a friend but never got to them and felt TPR was enough.

I studied between 8-13 hours a day. Woke up at 5am daily worked out then studied until midday. Worked from midday to late evening. Did a couple hours studying at night and went to bed between 10pm and 12pm depending on the day. I functioned well on 3-5 hours of sleep throughout college so getting 5-7 daily during tidying was a lot for me. YMMV

Used 3 TPR, 1 NS (free), 1 GS (free), and all AAMC materials, including the OG as a half length, the SB timed like a FL (it's a little above a FL, 300 vs 234, so adjusted the time per question). Did all the private companies first tests ranged from 506 at diagnostic and a few points above, then AAMC materials were all 96-98th as mentioned above. Note TPR tests are very deflating. I took one TPR two days before my unscored, had something like 507/8 on the TPR and converted 518 on the unscored. I found the TPR's great because it's a deeper level of details and the passages are much, much longer so I felt the AAMC stuff felt easier after going through all of it.

Also used Anki, I made a card for everything through my content review with the TPR books and tried to do them daily though I missed days here and there, which would make my due decks huge. I definitely think this was a major player in my performance. I made a deck per test section, had about 30 cards a day in each. Reviews on my way to work, at work when I had a chance, first thing in the morning, and in bed before I fell asleep.

Wow!! Thank you for the advice! I'll definitely try the card method. I used to do it for one of my classes in university and found it to be really helpful.

Reactions: 1 user